Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Peasants in the Poor House  (Read 2636 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Peasants in the Poor House
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:04:54 pm »
+2

I never thought the first token I'd place with Teacher would be the +1 Buy token, but lo and behold, it was the right call here.

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Peasant, Doctor, Loan, Coppersmith, Fortress, Embassy, Explorer, Lost City, King's Court
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160516/log.0.1463427021366.txt

I'm sure I didn't play this close to optimally, but it was fun to have a mega Poor House deck and buy 4 Provinces on the last turn. I was planning to put +1 Action on Poor House, but when it came down to it, +1 Buy on King's Court (or Poor House) was the way to go.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Peasants in the Poor House
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:34:02 pm »
+3

I played a peasant/poor house deck about a week ago and won. Although, I put +Action on Poor House.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:39:50 am »
+1

Ok, so I'm still wrapping my head around Travellers, but I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of going all the way to Teacher here. Pretty clearly you were doing the right thing going for KC, Fortress, Poor House, and Doctor. (Maybe I would have added an Embassy to help increase handsize, too.) If you go for the Peasant line at all, it seems like stopping at Disciple is better and then using a Peasant or two directly for the buy. Going all the way to Teacher just to put a plus buy token down seems slow in this kingdom.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:49:52 am »
+3

Another thing you can do on that board is kc coppersmith.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:32:04 pm »
+1

Ok, so I'm still wrapping my head around Travellers, but I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of going all the way to Teacher here. Pretty clearly you were doing the right thing going for KC, Fortress, Poor House, and Doctor. (Maybe I would have added an Embassy to help increase handsize, too.) If you go for the Peasant line at all, it seems like stopping at Disciple is better and then using a Peasant or two directly for the buy. Going all the way to Teacher just to put a plus buy token down seems slow in this kingdom.

You may be right, though I think you're underestimating how much less reliable the deck would be if I had to add Peasants for the +Buy. It would also mean either a much smaller average payout (since I would have Peasants in hand that could have been Poor Houses) or a longer build-up with Embassies.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:39:18 am »

I would surely pick embassy here in mid game. How do you want to trash last coppers other than discard them first by embassy.

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 08:32:41 am »
+1

I struggled with Poor House the one time I played with it. Thanks for showing this log. Doctor looks really helpful here to clear out Treasures. I wonder about vulnerability to Embassy buys by opponent to "attack" by gifting Silver.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 04:09:23 pm »

Turn 16 game ending is not bad at all, especially with 4 Provinces.

To be fair, your opponent opened a horrible Fortress/Loan when Doctor was on the board, and he did not play well at all throughout the game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.