Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Empires Bonus Preview #5: Castles  (Read 73994 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Empires Bonus Preview #5: Castles
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
+48

Looking at the other previews this week, you may have gathered that Empires’ theme is “different paths to victory”. You’ve got Landmarks that reward different strategies, and more uses for VP tokens than ever. But you may have wondered, where are the actual Victory cards? Today I’m previewing eight, though they’re all in the same pile.

Like a split pile, the Castles are sorted by cost, with the cheaper ones on top. In a 2-player game, you use one of each unique Castle card. In a game with more players, there are duplicates of four of them (Humble, Small, Opulent, King’s). I’ll say a quick word about each one.

Humble Castle: Hey, it’s a Victory card that counts other cards from its own pile! It’s rough to buy an early Copper for $3, but the potential reward in VP is pretty hefty. As Donald says, buying a Humble Castle is throwing down the gauntlet; declaring your intention to pursue Castles this game.

Crumbling Castle: Despite the big “1VP” on the top of this card, it’s always worth 2 VP for you, even if you trash it later! Plus you get a Silver (or two) to help mitigate Crumbling Castle’s effect on your deck.

Small Castle: Trash a card to gain another card from its pile; there’s a propostion that’s not usually attractive. But with Small Castle, it means that you can potentially pick up a very powerul Castle later in the game for a fraction of the price.

Haunted Castle: Ghost Ship’s attack sure is harsh. It’s a good thing that Haunted Castle’s only happens once per game. Plus you get a free Gold when you gain it!

Opulent Castle: Man, you sure have been slowing down your deck, buying all these Victory cards so early in the game. If only you had some way to convert them into buying power. Opulent Castle provides a generous +$2 per Victory card you discard to it.

Sprawling Castle: Now we’re getting to the end-game part of the stack, when you want cards that give you points. At $8 for 7 VP spread over two (or four) cards, Sprawling Castle isn’t particularly appealing to a Province player. But for a player who’s collecting Castles, it can be worth a lot more.

Grand Castle: While Silk Road gives you VP for each Victory card in your deck, Grand Castle gives you VP for each Victory card in your hand or play area when you gain it. Maybe that Sprawling Castle was a good investment after all.

King’s Castle: Finally we get to the capstone, which makes accumulating those smaller Castles worthwhile. It’s worth a whopping 2 VP per Castle you have (including itself, of course).

That’s it for the previews! I hope you enjoyed them.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Bonus Preview #5: Castles
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:22:41 pm »
+22

These are absurd, so let's be sure to start off by discussing the art at length.

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:27:24 pm »
+3

Un. Believable.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:27:37 pm »
+1

These are going to take a long time to figure out. What kind of strategy do they go with? Do you want to get them early? When can you ignore them? This is like what Knights should have been.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:28:24 pm »
+3

Appropriate:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:29:56 pm »

My first note is that the Haunted Castle is not an Attack type card so it cannot be lighthoused or moated

dmet

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:31:37 pm »
+25

This is like the 17th most interesting thing about this pile, but I love the continued attack theme of ghosts scaring your opponent's cards back to the top of their deck.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »
+2

Are there other castles for a 3 player game?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »

I wonder what kind of interaction that necessitated "during your turn" on Haunted Castle. Swindler doesn't really seem a like big deal.

Edit: I see now. The player playing Swindler (or Saboteur or Ambassador and maybe some others?) could get attacked mid-attack, which is super weird rules-wise. Probably best to stop that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:37:18 pm by wachsmuth »

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:42 pm »
+3

In a 2-player game, you use one of each unique Castle card. In a game with more players, there are duplicates of four of them (Humble, Small, Opulent, King’s).

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »
+2

The answer is hidden in the first paragraph!
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +271
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:36:40 pm »
+9

If you're going to get one person to do the art for a whole bunch of castles, I'd say they picked the right guy.  Great job Julian

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:55 pm »

Is it necessary to restrict Haunted Castle to "during your turn"?  I can't think of many ways to gain it other than during your turn.  An opponent's Amb-Haunted Castle, I guess, but that seems like a poor move anyway.  I guess it can be safe to Swindle somebody's Gold into Haunted Castle.  Is there some broken interaction I'm missing?  Future-proofing?

Grand Castle could have just said "and".

I am nitpicking the text because I don't know what to say about this pile.  Oh boy.

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

Oh man, Alt VP cards are my favorite kingdom cards to play with...and now there are CASTLES!!! I am so pumped! This clinches the expansion for me. I am stoked.

Cannot wait to add Castles to my Alt VP custom kingdoms.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:31 pm »
+2

It says in the OP that in a 3 or 4 player game, there are two Humble, Small, Opulent, and King's Castles.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

theschizm

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 02:41:39 pm »

Is it necessary to restrict Haunted Castle to "during your turn"?  I can't think of many ways to gain it other than during your turn.  An opponent's Amb-Haunted Castle, I guess, but that seems like a poor move anyway.  I guess it can be safe to Swindle somebody's Gold into Haunted Castle.  Is there some broken interaction I'm missing?  Future-proofing?

Saboteur could do it, right? Performing an attack on another player's turn is weird.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 02:43:22 pm »
+1

My first note is that the Haunted Castle is not an Attack type card so it cannot be lighthoused or moated

Lighthouse and Moat react to an attack card being played.  This is an on-gain effect on card that isn't even an Action.

I wonder what kind of interaction that necessitated "during your turn" on Haunted Castle. Swindler doesn't really seem a like big deal.

Edit: I see now. The player playing Swindler (or Saboteur or Ambassador and maybe some others?) could get attacked mid-attack, which is super weird rules-wise. Probably best to stop that.

I don't see any particularly weird or confusing interactions, at least among those three.  It's not technically an attack, and having to top-deck in the middle of resolving Swindler/Saboteur/Ambassador still seems simple to work out.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »
+2

Does the Castle randomizer reflect the cost of Humble Castle (the split pile preview said the randomizer "usually" follows the top card), making all of these suitable as Banes?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 02:44:45 pm »
+3

I see....

Highgarden (Grand Castle), The Red Keep (Sprawling Castle), The Eyrie (Crumbling Castle), Harrenhal (Haunted Castle), Casterly Rock (King's Castle {Sprawling Castle and King's Castle should be renamed}) and Moat Cailin (Small Castle)

But where is Winterfell!?!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:47:58 pm by yuma »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:45:04 pm »
+4

Does the Castle randomizer reflect the cost of Humble Castle (the split pile preview said the randomizer "usually" follows the top card), making all of these suitable as Banes?

Yep!

Horist

• Bishop
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:05 pm »
+1

Bridge/highway
Inheritance one of the 2 action castles.
Buy estates
GG

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:50 pm »
+8

Wow, this actually comboes with Scout.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »
+3

Bridge/highway
Inheritance one of the 2 action castles.
Buy estates
GG

That would be sweet, but you can only use Inheritance on a non-Victory Action card.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +271
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:31 pm »
+1

If you don't trash the Small Castle to quickly get a bigger castle, there are 45 points to be had from Castles (including the Duchy/Estates from Sprawling Castle, and not including the bonus points from Grand Castle, of which there are probably at least a couple).  If there's say 3 points you gained from Grand Castle, 8 Castles could be worth 48 Points, the same as 8 Provinces.

At a quick glance, the best way to disrupt a Castle player might be to pick up the Small Castle.  It's one less Castle for them, and if you can deal with dragging it around the whole game, you can use it to quickly steal the King's Castle at the end.  If you don't get the King's Castle, there's almost no point in going for Castles at all.  Sure, the King's Castle is worth only 2 points for you, but you've just stolen 14 points from them (assuming they took the other 6 castles). 

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »
+1

These don't look very Roman!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.