Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Empires Previews #5: Events  (Read 51319 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
Empires Previews #5: Events
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:09:39 pm »
+30

Empires brings back Events. They were fun but I did everything I could think of to do with them in Adventures. But well, this set had new stuff; maybe that new stuff would allow for more Events? In fact of thirteen new Events, nine involve either VP tokens or Debt or both

Triumph has both a Debt cost and a VP token payout. It's like a Victory card that rewards you for getting a lot of cards in one turn, and is represented in your deck with an Estate that you can maybe get rid of. The Debt cost helps you afford it after buying other cards; and hey, if you don't think you're getting another turn, why not go out in Debt and up a few points.

Windfall is one of the four Events that don't involve tokens. If you can manage to get your whole deck into play / your hand / the trash, you can get three Golds for cheap. It's a mini-game.

Dominate is like a new Victory card above Colony - $14 for 15 VP. But instead of a pile, it's just this Event; and you use Provinces for the Victory card, so buying Provinces also runs out the Dominates.

That's it for previews, not counting today's other preview, which is a doozy. We currently expect the set out on May 25, which I believe is when it ships not when it's in stores. I will post the Secret History around when people start to get the actual cards.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Previews #5: Events
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:14:58 pm »
+3

This expansion is adding an absurd amount of potential extra points to games.

I love it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:19:16 pm by jonts26 »

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:43 pm »
+2

Love the Windfall art. A lot.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »

Dominate is really cool. It also feels very final to have something called Dominate in Dominion; I hope this doesn't mean this is the last expansion.

Windfall seems weak. If you're drawing your deck, you usually don't want Golds. But I could be wrong there.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:08 pm »
+2

Triumph looks particularly interesting, and really strong.  It really seems like a last-turn kind of card.  Of course, I would also buy it after playing Treasure Hunter or buying Stonemason or something.  If you have enough +Buy, this can be a Province or more.  This will make Goons even more ridiculous.

Windfall:  This is good, but not that interesting.  Build your engine first, then get the money all at once.

Dominate:  This will definitely change games a lot.  Is it even possible for BM to win in a game with this where any engine exists?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:30 pm »
+6

Windfall seems weak. If you're drawing your deck, you usually don't want Golds. But I could be wrong there.

I think you're wrong there... quite often you'll build up a great engine that can draw your deck and generate multiple buys; but still only end up with $15 or so money to spend. I remember many games where I've bought a Province and a Silver, then later a Province and a Gold, then finally could move on to 2 Provinces. This gives you a whole new way to build up an engine and then quickly add payload.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:46 pm »

Edit: deleted
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:49:17 pm by DLloyd09 »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +452
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »
+12

That's it for previews, not counting today's other preview, which is a doozy.

Is it an Action - Doozy or an Event - Doozy?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:20:36 pm »
+9

Dominate is really cool. It also feels very final to have something called Dominate in Dominion; I hope this doesn't mean this is the last expansion.
We'll get 21 VP for $17 in 6 years.

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:41 pm »
+5

Not weak at all.  It's a great way to add payload.  Way easier than lining up treasure maps.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »

Dominate really seems crazy. Previously, $16 and an extra buy would get you 12 points. In any game that has Dominate, you'll never (edge case blah blah) buy 2 Provinces on a turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »

I disagree.  Often I find myself trashing really thin, building a sleek engine, and then having to buy money to give myself some economy (if the engine cards don't do enough of that).  Buying Windfall will help a lot.  You probably only want it once, though.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 12:21:57 pm »

Windfall is pretty awesome. Draw your deck, have $5, and the amount of money in your deck immediately increases from 5 to 14. Sometimes, in engines, you really want to double Province but you can only increase payload very slowly, and you still need to add drawing cards as well if you still want to draw your deck. Windfall is a huge boost to engines.

Dominate is pretty sick as well, and I think it's a high-skill card (well, Event) - do you piledrive the Provinces or go for the slower Dominate road? I guess it also enables Engines or strong Big Money decks without +Buy. Or how about a Golden Deck consisting of Bishop/Pt/Pt/Gold/Province, buying Dominate each turn? Wow.

Triumph is a bit harder to see the point of, but I guess it can be used as a post-hoc Goons-ish card.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 12:22:06 pm »
+1

Chapel openings now mean you can trash anything and get 3 golds. Seem with steward and other strong trashers.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 12:22:25 pm »

If you can pull off Windfall, then $5 for 3 Golds is a steal. Still feels like it will be a very situational Event.

Also, any edge cases to how you could buy multiple Windfalls and get Golds each time?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 12:23:08 pm »

I think you're wrong there... quite often you'll build up a great engine that can draw your deck and generate multiple buys; but still only end up with $15 or so money to spend. I remember many games where I've bought a Province and a Silver, then later a Province and a Gold, then finally could move on to 2 Provinces. This gives you a whole new way to build up an engine and then quickly add payload.

Also you can just trash all your money to replace it with 3 golds. Except you need 5 money.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:24:11 pm by Watno »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 12:23:26 pm »
+6

If you can pull off Windfall, then $5 for 3 Golds is a steal. Still feels like it will be a very situational Event.

Also, any edge cases to how you could buy multiple Windfalls and get Golds each time?

trash them with Watchtower.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 12:23:28 pm »
+3

Now that Villa exists, just about any theoretical thing is possible. And certainly Villa will allow you to do multiple Windfalls.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »

Good point. It's also interesting that, along with Tomb, this is completely useless in some games. I guess Donald decided that there are enough cards now that that doesn't matter.

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 12:24:21 pm »
+2

I wonder if the victory card above Colony was going to be called Dominion before it got remade into this event.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »
+2

Triumph-Beggar megaturn! Probably gonna be extremely situational, but there will be boards where this is the best strategy.

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:27 pm »

Villa

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »
+7

New feeling to have during a Colony game: "Oh no, I only have $13, so I'll settle for a Colony for just 10 points."

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 12:28:06 pm »

It would be funny to end the game on a 3pile on Gold, Villa, estate using Windfall and Triumph :D

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
+1

Now that previews are (mostly) over, can you talk about the number of each denomination of VP tokens or whether or not there are any other kinds of tokens?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.