Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic  (Read 22785 times)

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
  • And now for something completely different.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:40:12 pm »
+2

(Not sure if this particular topic already exists. If so, let's start this brainstorm with the new sets out. If not, well it's about time!)

Post your fan card idea! The point of this topic: a decent list of fan cards without clutter or spam. See what comes of it, sparking ideas, enjoying sharing. Personally, I think it would be fun if we don't just draw from our already-existing Google Doc of ideas, but to read some of the cards on the list, let it spark an idea, then create a new fan card spontaneously. You know. A brainstorm.

Some rules:
  • Do not elaborate on why you chose the card you chose, mention why you think it's cool, or strategies. Just the card's function, cost, and mechanics. Let us figure out why you like the idea.
  • Thinking as a "promo" card, make sure it works with all sets. Normally a promo shouldn't cost a potion or use VP counters, etc., but let's allow that.
  • Your card idea should be pretty well thought through - keep in mind the guidelines for fan cards - but this is a brainstorm too so not to worry. Even vanilla cards are welcome. I'm starting off with a vanilla card myself.
  • Post only one idea per comment, and don't post more than one idea until there are at least three other ideas from other posters. It's not a "here's my set" topic.
  • Keep comments brief and to the point.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:16:29 am by Ministry of Silly Walks »

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »
+1

Tithe
Treasure
$2
Value: $1.
You may reveal a Curse in your hand. If you do, return it to the Supply and gain 1 VP. If you do not, then the player to your left may take this action. If he does not, he gains a Curse, putting it in his hand.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:58:07 pm by Ministry of Silly Walks »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 04:08:01 pm »
+1

Welcome to the forums! Have you checked out the forum games?

Philosopher
Action
Cost $3
Choose one: Put the top card of your deck onto your Tavern mat; or discard any number of cards from your Tavern mat and +$1 per card discarded.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »

Reinforce:
Put this on your Tavern mat.

When you would gain a card, you may call this, to instead choose one: Gain a card costing up to $1 more, putting it on top of your deck; or gain a card costing exactly $2 more.
Cost: $5
Action - Reserve
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:27 pm »
+3

Rake
Action - $3
Each other player reveals a treasure card from their hand, or reveals a hand with no treasures. Choose one of the revealed treasure cards and play it.  When it leaves play, return it to the hand of the player who revealed it.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:40:47 am »

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6
Reveal the top card of the player to your left. He may pay the cost of the card immediately, putting it into his hand. If he does not, then you may buy the card immediately, putting it on top of your deck.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:59:59 am »

Philosopher
Action
Cost $3
Choose one: Put the top card of your deck onto your Tavern mat; or discard any number of cards from your Tavern mat and +$1 per card discarded.

I like that this is useful regardless of whether there are other cards that use the Tavern mat... and especially useful for some that do (e.g. Wine Merchant). Bonus points for picking a suitable name... my degree is in Philosophy ("so far it's pro bono" - Lost in Translation), and having just a variety of viewpoints and philosophies discussed at a tavern... yep.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:24:25 am by Ministry of Silly Walks »

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 02:57:51 am »

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6
Reveal the top card of the player to your left. He may pay the cost of the card immediately, putting it into his hand. If he does not, then you may buy the card immediately, putting it on top of your deck.

Outright taking the card seems a bit OP at first glance - maybe you could just be paying for the privilege of using it this turn?

I do like the idea of seeing how much they're willing to cripple their next turn to stop you from doing that, though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:22:27 am by junkers »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 03:06:06 am »

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6

Is your victim allowed to play Treasures immediately?  Otherwise, they have nothing with which to pay.  Even coin tokens would be useless here, because you can only cash them in at the start of your Buy phase.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:33:18 pm »

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6

Is your victim allowed to play Treasures immediately?  Otherwise, they have nothing with which to pay.  Even coin tokens would be useless here, because you can only cash them in at the start of your Buy phase.

One way to fix this is to let your opponent take debt tokens equal to its cost in coins.  This would create weird interactions with debt and Potion cost cards, but it would eliminate most of the rules questions.

pitythefool

• Thief
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:17:50 pm »
+2

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.
Play all revealed actions in any order.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 01:28:25 am »
+1

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.

This sounds like it could get real messy. But I still want to try.

How'd you determine the cost?

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 10:56:49 am »

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6

One way to fix this is to let your opponent take debt tokens equal to its cost in coins.  This would create weird interactions with debt and Potion cost cards, but it would eliminate most of the rules questions.

This was actually a modification of an idea already posted in the "do not do this kind of thing because it's too swingy" in the fan card guidelines post. So... I had to figure out how it could actually work. Thanks for the suggestions!

In answer to the comments and questions, yes, the opponent can play his treasures during your turn to "re-buy" the card. I feel like giving the opponent a chance to keep the card even as an attack helps with swingy-ness, but of course very few games will have the opponent have more than, say, $5 in treasure in his hand. And during your turn in most games, you could have enough treasure to buy anything by the end of your action phase. So, yeah, it favors the attacker a lot. That being said, this is a good card if you are losing, not winning, so I think it's not OP.

Still, here are a couple fixes. Let me know if one of these helps:

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6
Reveal the top card of the player to your left. He may immediately discard a card from his hand. If he does not or if the value of the card discarded does not equal or exceed the cost of the revealed card, then you may buy the card immediately, putting it on top of your deck.

Defection
Action ~ Attack
$6
Reveal the top card of the player to your left. If it is an Action card, then he may reveal any number of treasure cards from his hand. If the total value of the treasure cards equals or exceeds the value of the revealed card, he may discard the card. If it is an Action card and he does not, then you may buy the card immediately, putting it on top of your deck.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:05:17 pm by Ministry of Silly Walks »

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 11:57:27 am »

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.

I feel like this could be OP, exaggerating a winning engine's already huge advantage. However, one way to nerf this may be something like:

Labor Force
$6
Reveal any number of Action cards from your hand and play them in any order. You may not play any more Actions this turn.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 11:59:43 am »

Rake
Action - $3
Each other player reveals a treasure card from their hand, or reveals a hand with no treasures. Choose one of the revealed treasure cards and play it.  When it leaves play, return it to the hand of the player who revealed it.

I want to play with this card in a multi-player game (3-4 players) using Platinums and some trash card. See how that operates.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 01:05:17 pm »
+1

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.

I feel like this could be OP, exaggerating a winning engine's already huge advantage. However, one way to nerf this may be something like:

Labor Force
$6
Reveal any number of Action cards from your hand and play them in any order. You may not play any more Actions this turn.

Way UP, actually. I've playtested a fan card that's strictly better than your original version at a cost of $5, and it was too weak.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 02:35:57 pm »
+1

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.

Labor Force
$6

Way UP, actually. I've playtested a fan card that's strictly better than your original version at a cost of $5, and it was too weak.

Doesn't this card just give you +1 Action per action card in your hand?  It seems like it wouldn't be worth any more than village unless you had at least three or four other actions in your hand.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:37:16 pm by LostPhoenix »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »

Labor Force
$6
Reveal your hand.

Labor Force
$6
Huh? You can be happy when you have 3 Action cards in your hand when you play Labor Force and +3 Actions is most likely just a good 2$ (or a very weak 3$) so further nerfing a card which is already far too weak is quite unnecessary.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »

There's not much point to having a Labor Force card. If there was to be such a card, it's just way strictly better than Throne Room. I'd have the limit of not being able to buy cards, like Mission after you use the card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 03:23:46 pm »

There's not much point to having a Labor Force card. If there was to be such a card, it's just way strictly better than Throne Room. I'd have the limit of not being able to buy cards, like Mission after you use the card.
I'd rather have a TR than something which is most of the times just a Necropolis and rarely a +3 Actions or a +4 Actions card.
Hell, I'd more often than not prefer a normal village to Labor Force.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 03:33:24 pm »

I don't think this is quite true. Labor Force is like double Throne Rooming to save an Action crossed with Golem, but without the Throning, and it's in your hand instead, prompting much more control of your deck. Labor Force saves actions, and can be quite game warping. All you need is a hand with Smithy/Smithy/Labor/Cantrip and suddenly, you've drawn 7 cards with only 1 Action and got a big return. Labor Force will save you Actions, enabling engines even further, and this is a lot stronger than you would first think.

I'll give an example.

Play Labor Force, play Tactician, then play your other Action cards in your hand. That's simply insane.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 04:16:42 pm »

I don't think this is quite true. Labor Force is like double Throne Rooming to save an Action crossed with Golem, but without the Throning, and it's in your hand instead, prompting much more control of your deck. Labor Force saves actions, and can be quite game warping. All you need is a hand with Smithy/Smithy/Labor/Cantrip and suddenly, you've drawn 7 cards with only 1 Action and got a big return. Labor Force will save you Actions, enabling engines even further, and this is a lot stronger than you would first think.

I'll give an example.

Play Labor Force, play Tactician, then play your other Action cards in your hand. That's simply insane.

Throne mutiplies the capacity of your deck. Golem draws and sifts. Labor force does none of these things. It's super broken with Tactician, but that's ok, two-card combos can be super broken sometimes.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 05:22:29 pm »

So, I guess, the next promo will be a Landmark, so I come up with an easy one. This severely hurts Big Money and Goons, but also boosts Chapel and Mountebank.

Greed
Landmark
When scoring, -1 VP for each 2 Treasure cards you have. (Round towards zero.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:24:02 pm by King Leon »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 05:49:36 am »

I'll give an example.

That's indeed a good combo.

I don't get this part though: Labor Force is like double Throne Rooming to save an Action crossed with Golem, but without the Throning, and it's in your hand instead, prompting much more control of your deck.
Labor Force neither plays an Action card twice nor does it dig for an Action card. All it does is allow you to play any number of action cards without paying an action for each, so normally it just provides a number of action equal to the number of action cards in your hand. So it is just a degenerate village. Perhaps it is OK for 3$ but I'd rather have a Fishing Village or an ordinary Village than something which is most of the times a Necropolis and only rarely a double Necropolis (two Necros are equivalent to +3 Actions) or something better.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 09:50:40 am »

I think the misunderstanding is that Seprix think that labour force do not put the action cards from your hand into play, so the actions can be played again?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.