Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic  (Read 22885 times)

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
  • And now for something completely different.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 11:31:21 am »

Would this ever work? It seems fraught with potential difficulties but hmm:

"+1 Card
When you play this, return it to your hand"

Lost Arts might make it a teeny bit OP.
This doesn't work. Either it is far too weak or totally broken (Champion, Lost Arts) when it single-handedly draws your entire deck.

Wouldn't that depend upon what the +actions are? If there is only one pile of village-like cards, then this is probably okay. Yes, there are complications to it though...

What about a mechanic that only lets you play it once? (Does that defeat the purpose?)

"+1 Card. During clean-up phase, set this aside and return it to your hand at the beginning of your next turn."

or...

"+1 Card. When you play this, return it to your hand and discard a card."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:34:12 am by Ministry of Silly Walks »

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »

What about a mechanic that only lets you play it once? (Does that defeat the purpose?)

It does a bit I'm afraid.

Just found this in the Secret History of Diadem:

"Diadem started in the large version of Alchemy long ago, as an Action: "+$2. Return this to your hand." It was a cute combo with Villages, but useless without them. I then tried some "choose one" versions, which solved the problem of it sometimes being dead, but didn't make the actions-to-money part any better. I eventually gave up on it, and well here it is at last."

So there you are. I would guess Champion is worded the way it is specifically to not break Diadem (otherwise it could just say something like "+ unlimited actions").

Can't see a way around this without explicitly saying "Champion and Lost Arts don't work on this" which is lame.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:02:45 pm by madeofghosts »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 07:24:51 pm »
+2

Asper tried something very similar with his card "Road". The way he found to make it work was to attach it to a village. Road is "+2 Cards. You may return this to your hand. (Not in the supply.)"  Town is a village that lets you gain a Road when you buy Town. It's still usually a little on the weak side (I used it in several games, but not with Champion or Lost Arts) because Road's on play effect is still just a moat and I usually want to use my terminal action space for better things. With only +1 Card, it would be extremely weak except for Champion/Lost Arts games.

Here's Asper's cards where you can see the current Town/Road: (Road is at the bottom under additional cards.)
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9231.0
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:25:57 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2017, 11:11:14 am »

Thanks all.

Any thoughts on this?:

OVERPEDDLER
[Action]
+1 Action
+1 Card
+$1
When you buy this you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain another Overpeddler.

I'm thinking it would have to cost about $6?

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:13 pm »
+1

Thanks all.

Any thoughts on this?:

OVERPEDDLER
[Action]
+1 Action
+1 Card
+$1
When you buy this you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain another Overpeddler.

I'm thinking it would have to cost about $6?

Hm... seems like the only time someone would buy this is when they could buy a lot of them at once, in which case, it would be pretty swingy in a lot of action-oriented games (gain five at once is pretty nice). I don't know, though, doesn't seem too overpowered, and I don't think I would lower the cost - I think it needs playtesting!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2017, 09:45:33 am »
+1

A few ideas;  not worth a thread

Drawbridge
Action - $3
+1 Buy
+1 Card per Buy you have

Showroom
Action/Reaction - $4
Gain a card costing up to $1 per card in your hand
---
Before a card leaves your hand on another player's turn, you may first play this card from your hand

Clarification: Leave=trash, discard, play, set aside, put on top of your deck etc.

Craft Show
Action - $2
+3 Actions
You may gain a non-Victory card costing exactly $1 per Action you have (Action, not Action card)

Spyglass
Treasure - $4
Worth $0
When you play this, do both, and choose one that each other player may do:
Gain a Silver; Look through your discard pile and put a treasure from it into your hand

Blacksmith
Action - $5
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's a(n)
Action: +2 Actions
Treasure: +$2
Victory card: +2 Cards

Florist
Action/Reaction - $4
+1 Action
You may play any number of Coppers from your hand. Then, draw until you have 4 cards in hand
---
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand to, instead,  gain a Copper to your hand

Opportunist
Action - $3
When you gain,  play or trash this,  +1 Card and you may trash a card from your hand.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:46:02 am by NoMoreFun »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2017, 11:45:46 am »
+1

I like these. Especially the pun on drawbridge. Craft Show reminds me of Carnival, a card I made. They look interesting, but shouldn't get out of hand. I would start a thread for these.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2017, 11:47:22 am »

yeah, they look pretty good.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2017, 06:44:57 pm »

My favorites are Opportunist and Florist.
Blacksmith should cost $6. Showroom also might be a little strong for its cost.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2017, 02:29:29 am »

Yes you can reveal a Ruins repeatedly for arbitrarily many actions... Dressmaker+Ruins+Diadem+Travelling Fair=gain the supply

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:42:48 am by NoMoreFun »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2017, 12:01:22 pm »

If I have two Showrooms in hand and a +1 Card token on Showroom, do I draw my deck when pillaged? Probably not...?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2017, 03:29:42 am »

If I have two Showrooms in hand and a +1 Card token on Showroom, do I draw my deck when pillaged? Probably not...?

Starting with a 5 card hand:
The other player plays pillage. You reveal your hand and they pick a card to discard. You may then play the first Showroom, draw a card, gain a card costing up to $5. Then, you may play the 2nd showroom, draw a card, gain a card costing up to $5. If you drew any more showrooms this way you can keep repeating the process but eventually you'll run out of showrooms. After all this, discard the card the other player chose unless it was one of the Showrooms, in which case nothing happens as Pillage lost track of the Showroom.

Edit: Also if you get militia'd, you pick 2 cards to discard, then you may play showroom, then you discard those cards if they're still in your hand (so it's a good idea to pick Showroom as one of the cards discarded). I guess there may be accountability issues there?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 03:38:50 am by NoMoreFun »

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:20 pm »

Yes you can reveal a Ruins repeatedly for arbitrarily many actions... Dressmaker+Ruins+Diadem+Travelling Fair=gain the supply

Fun!

Might want to reword: "Play this Action as an Action from the Supply that costs more than the revealed card."

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »

For those who don't feel like clicking the link:
Finally decided to try an alt-vp card...
Preserve
$5 - Action - Victory
Set aside any number of cards from your hand onto your preserve mat, other than preserve.
-
Worth 1% for each card type on your preserve mat.
I like it.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 08:38:13 am »

The other player plays pillage. You reveal your hand and they pick a card to discard. You may then play the first Showroom, draw a card, gain a card costing up to $5. Then, you may play the 2nd showroom, draw a card, gain a card costing up to $5. If you drew any more showrooms this way you can keep repeating the process but eventually you'll run out of showrooms. After all this, discard the card the other player chose unless it was one of the Showrooms, in which case nothing happens as Pillage lost track of the Showroom.

Edit: Also if you get militia'd, you pick 2 cards to discard, then you may play showroom, then you discard those cards if they're still in your hand (so it's a good idea to pick Showroom as one of the cards discarded). I guess there may be accountability issues there?
I should probably clarify: When I try to play one of my Showrooms (due to an opponent's attack), I can just play the other Showroom before the first, right? And then I can play the first before that second one, instead. My question came from wondering about cases where this might have some use, but as I never play the card I delayed, the interaction with +1 Card tokens should be non-abusable. Sorry for being unclear and asking when I more or less knew the answer. I just felt the fact the card could trigger copies of itself was a bit strange.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:47 am »

Farm from before could technically make it feasible to have an all-VP-card deck that relies only on Farm to produce money. It's not trivial to get there, because you'd need to remove all Coppers from your deck without adding an Action card, but examples that make it work would be Ratcatcher and Bonfire.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2017, 04:45:32 am »
+1

I should probably clarify: When I try to play one of my Showrooms (due to an opponent's attack), I can just play the other Showroom before the first, right? And then I can play the first before that second one, instead. My question came from wondering about cases where this might have some use, but as I never play the card I delayed, the interaction with +1 Card tokens should be non-abusable. Sorry for being unclear and asking when I more or less knew the answer. I just felt the fact the card could trigger copies of itself was a bit strange.
The +1 Card only happens when you play the card. You can't swap back and forth because the card is no longer in your hand; it's in play.

Edit: Added "from your hand" to remove the ambiguity (and to match Caravan Guard)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:47:07 am by NoMoreFun »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:49 am »

The +1 Card only happens when you play the card. You can't swap back and forth because the card is no longer in your hand; it's in play.

Edit: Added "from your hand" to remove the ambiguity (and to match Caravan Guard)
Yes, in restrospect my question was rather unneccessary. Sorry about that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.