Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic  (Read 22787 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Post your Promo Fan Card Idea - brainstorm topic
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
+2

Sylvan always increases my opponents' handsize as much as mine and offers Secret-Chamber sifting at best. It's obviously attractive to pair with a discard attack like Militia, but otherwise i'm far from convinced it's too strong for $3.

Also, costing $3 and being sometimes better than Lab didn't stop Menagerie.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2016, 05:25:21 pm »

Sylvan always increases my opponents' handsize as much as mine and offers Secret-Chamber sifting at best. It's obviously attractive to pair with a discard attack like Militia, but otherwise i'm far from convinced it's too strong for $3.

Unless you choose the other option.

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
+1

What unless?

You play the card and get +3 cards up front, which is net +2 cards relative to the other players.  Then you choose to either let others draw a card or you put a card back, which is -1 card relative to other players either way.  Then you choose a second time (which is the part most people are missing, I think).  Overall, you end up at net 0 cards relative to other players, which is what Asper was saying.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2016, 11:10:20 pm »

What unless?

You play the card and get +3 cards up front, which is net +2 cards relative to the other players.  Then you choose to either let others draw a card or you put a card back, which is -1 card relative to other players either way.  Then you choose a second time (which is the part most people are missing, I think).  Overall, you end up at net 0 cards relative to other players, which is what Asper was saying.

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I said it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2016, 03:25:52 pm »

So, I guess, the next promo will be a Landmark, so I come up with an easy one. This severely hurts Big Money and Goons, but also boosts Chapel and Mountebank.

Greed
Landmark
When scoring, -1 VP for each 2 Treasure cards you have. (Round towards zero.)

It seems that Donald hat a similar idea with Bandit Fort. His version is much more interesting, because it supports alternative treasury cards like Harem, Plunder or Bank and does not encourage to use Chapel or other Copper trashers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:11:18 pm by King Leon »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:46 pm »

Stockpile
Action - $5
---
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a Treasure, an Action, and a Victory card, setting the first of each aside as you reveal them. Play the Action. Place the remaining set-aside cards into your hand. Discard the other revealed cards.
I like the idea but digging for one of each is weaker than Smithy as Victory cards are dead and an ordinary deck has a higher density of Treasures and Action than of Victory cards.
I am also not sure about how this interacts with hybrid cards. Do you e.g. stop after you have drawn a Silver and an Island because the Island satisfies both conditions?

Yes, Silver and Island would satisfy all three categories. Ditto for, say, a Crown and a Province. This could actually be a corner case where Crown could be drawn dead, but it's similar in spirit I guess to what would happen with it and Golem.

If you draw Crown, Pearl Diver, and then Island, which one do you play?

Ooh great question. Every instinct tells me Crown, though obviously as currently worded it's not quite tight enough. The Pearl Diver would be discarded and the Island should be put in hand, perhaps to be Crown's target.

Edit: On second thought, this poses a slightly different question. Should the Island be discarded because it is the second-drawn Action or kept in hand because it is the first-drawn Victory card?
The keeping takes priority, as it sets aside the first of each, then discards the rest. so Crown would be the first action and treasure. Pearl diver wouldn't be the first of anything, so it wouldn't get set aside. Island would be the first victory, so it gets set aside. It doesn't matter that it's also the third action, the discarding deals with everything that wasn't the first of something. "The action" probably refers to "the first action" from above, so crown would be played (I think).
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
  • And now for something completely different.
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2016, 01:23:06 pm »

Martyr
$5
Action ~ Victory
Worth 1 VP for each Curse in your deck at the end of the game

ACTION
Choose 1:
* Each opponent gains a Curse.
* Reveal your hand. +1 Action and +1 Card for each Curse in your hand.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:54 pm »

Martyr
$5
Action ~ Victory

ACTION
Choose 1:
This...doesn't work. You try and buy as many Martyrs as you can, then buy all the Curses! If you get 10 Martys and 10 Curses, that's 90 VP.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2016, 02:57:38 pm »

Martyr
$5
Action ~ Victory

ACTION
Choose 1:
This...doesn't work. You try and buy as many Martyrs as you can, then buy all the Curses! If you get 10 Martys and 10 Curses, that's 90 VP.

So certain are you? As if it were trivial to buy all 8 Martyrs—which are dead until you switch to Curses. And your opponent can so easily deprive you of Curses. And it's 70 VP, not 90.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2016, 05:28:41 pm »

Martyr
$5
Action ~ Victory

ACTION
Choose 1:

So certain are you? As if it were trivial to buy all 8 Martyrs—which are dead until you switch to Curses. And your opponent can so easily deprive you of Curses. And it's 70 VP, not 90.

Right - it is not an easy feat to buy all martyrs and curses without your opponent saying, "hey, wait a minute!" Martyr is the weakest "curse-giving" action too, and when you give a curse, others might go ahead and get a martyr to help with it... so it's not going to attract people to go that strategy (unless there's not a better one). Certainly it's maybe a "power card" in that a deck could be built around it. I imagine it is definitely worth it when other curse cards are in play (Torturer), and likely when there are trashers too.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2017, 06:28:35 pm »
+1

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

The player to your left chooses one for you:
+2 Cards or gain a Gold or +$3

Put a card from your hand on top of your deck.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 12:24:53 pm »

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

Hmmm... seems way too powerful for a $2 - you're getting a lot for this, and putting a card on top of deck is often an advantage. Maybe instead, opponent gets to decide on one of three bad effects, like "puts -1 coin token on deck, or puts a -1 card token on deck, or gains a copper"

Even with this, I would make it a $4 cost.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

Hmmm... seems way too powerful for a $2 - you're getting a lot for this, and putting a card on top of deck is often an advantage. Maybe instead, opponent gets to decide on one of three bad effects, like "puts -1 coin token on deck, or puts a -1 card token on deck, or gains a copper"

Even with this, I would make it a $4 cost.

Good point, but I think you forgot that putting a card from your hand top of your deck effectively slows you down (depending on the returned card, it will either decrease this or next turn's buying power). Option 1 gives you the possibility to swap a card from your hand with the top card of your deck. Option 2 is an Artisan variant (your opponent will choose this in the end game, where gaining Gold is not as effective and topdecking cards is more an obstacle than an aid for you), option 3 is an early Gold with drawback (when you topdeck an Estate), a cheap Silver (topdecking a Copper) or a weak Herbalist (topdecking a Silver or Gold). I like the idea, that your opponent has to choose on of these merely equal strong options for you.

EDIT: Here is a fixed version:

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

+1 Card or gain 2 Silver or +$2

The player to your right chooses one for you:
+1 Card; discard 2 cards from your hand or gain a Copper into your hand or +$1; Put a card from your hand on top of your deck

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:48:59 am by King Leon »

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 08:54:17 am »

A non-terminal 2$ that gains two Silvers or produces 2 Coins is quite good. Among the bad stuff the copper-spamming seems like the obvious choice from the opponent's POV and could bring the card down enough in power level.

In practice the two choices make this is a Scrying Pool level slow card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 10:01:00 am »

2 ideas

Farm
Action - $3
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure. Put all the revealed cards in your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +$1 per discarded card.

Barn
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure card. Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +1 Card per card discarded.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 01:33:48 pm »

Good point, but I think you forgot that putting a card from your hand top of your deck effectively slows you down (depending on the returned card, it will either decrease this or next turn's buying power). Option 1 gives you the possibility to swap a card from your hand with the top card of your deck. Option 2 is an Artisan variant (your opponent will choose this in the end game, where gaining Gold is not as effective and topdecking cards is more an obstacle than an aid for you), option 3 is an early Gold with drawback (when you topdeck an Estate), a cheap Silver (topdecking a Copper) or a weak Herbalist (topdecking a Silver or Gold). I like the idea, that your opponent has to choose on of these merely equal strong options for you.

EDIT: Here is a fixed version:

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

+1 Card or gain 2 Silver or +$2

+1 Card; discard 2 cards from your hand or gain a Copper into your hand or +$1; Put a card from your hand on top of your deck

• I don't understand what the right player's choices are in your post.
  • The left player's option of +1 card is too weak for this card, as all this card then does is replace itself.
  • I don't think it's a good idea to have the right hand player's choices be able to undo the left hand player's choices - again, makes the card useless (especially in a 2-player game).
I like some of your changes, though... I suggest:

Lucky Cat
$2
Action

+1 Action

+2 Cards or +$2 or gain 2 Silvers

-1 Card token or -1 Coin token or gain a Copper on top of your deck

(The tokens have a nice symmetry with the benefits of the left player without undoing them.)

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 01:49:14 pm »

2 ideas

Farm
Action - $3
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure. Put all the revealed cards in your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +$1 per discarded card.

Barn
Action - $4
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure card. Put all the revealed cards into your hand.
Discard any number of cards from your hand. +1 Card per card discarded.

I like these! I almost feel like these are a little expensive because the only card types that these allow you to gain are Victory and Curse, and these are not going to be gained until later in the game... at which point a player will have likely already developed a deck good enough to not need these seemingly mid-game sifters. It's almost like this is either a weak card or too powerful if there is also a gainer card. I would like to see these in action to know for sure. If I am correct, then I might suggest combining them:

Ranch
Action ~ $4
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action or Treasure card. Put all the revealed cards into your hand. Discard any number of cards from your hand. $1 and +1 Card per card discarded.

Has the sifting and treasure gaining benefit of storehouse, but rather than reducing your hand size, it increases it... but without a buy. By getting rid of the +1 Action, it's not a game-breaker.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »

Farm guarantees you $5 with a full hand, so it's kind of like horse traders. Maybe it needs a +buy.

I'm not sure how much stronger +1 Card makes cellar but it seems fine at $4

Ranch is too strong; it's likely to guarantee a province every time it's played.

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 03:33:33 pm »

Farm guarantees you $5 with a full hand, so it's kind of like horse traders. Maybe it needs a +buy.

I'm not sure how much stronger +1 Card makes cellar but it seems fine at $4

Ranch is too strong; it's likely to guarantee a province every time it's played.

Good points. Yes, Farm is effectively like Horse Traders but without +1 buy. Farm can be very helpful when you have a green deck, but it is not a reaction to an attack, so it's probably a similar power as HT if you give it +1 buy. But it costs less, so maybe okay to be no buy.

Still, though, I would like to see this be a combined card to make it a bit more interesting. Maybe an either/or?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 06:49:17 am »

Another idea of mine is a drawer which does not let you draw dead hands. What do you think about it?

Minister
Action/Reaction - $6

+3 Cards

Discard any number of Action cards
+$1 per card discarded
--
When you discard this other than during your Cleanup phase: +1 Card

Ministry of Silly Walks

• Steward
    • View Profile
Four Seasons - Four Cycling Event Cards
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:16 pm »
+1

How about a stack of four event cards, only one of which is visible at a time. I didn't clean up the wording too much, so there may be some wording issues.

Summer
$0
Once per turn, choose one:
  • +1 buy. After your cleanup phase, draw seven cards and discard one. Put a +1 Draw token in play (Duration: while in play, all players +1 draw. This token is removed when the Season changes.)
  • Name an Action card. Look through your discard pile and set one copy of that card aside. Play that card at the beginning of your next turn. Put a +1 Action token in play (Duration: while in play, all players gain +1 Action. This token is removed when the Season changes.)
  • Put Fall event card on top of this Season deck.

Fall
$0
  • Look at the top five cards of your deck. You may trash up to one card, discard up to one card, and put the rest back in any order.
  • +3 coins. All other players gain +1 coin.
  • Put Winter event card on top of this Season deck

Winter
$0
One per turn, choose one:
  • Put a Counter Attack token in play (Duration: while in play, when an Attack is played, it doesn't affect you. This token is removed when the Season changes.)
  • Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do so, every other player discards one card. This is not an Attack.
  • Put Spring event card on top of this Season deck

Spring
$0
  • +2 buys. The first card you buy this turn may be put on top of your deck. Put a +1 Buy token in play (Duration: while in play, all players gain +1 buy. This token is removed when the Season changes.)
  • +1 buy. Gain a card costing up to $3. You may put it on top of your deck. All other players gain a copy of this card.
  • Put Summer event card on top of this Season deck

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 02:41:58 pm »

So this is just a "post ideas you had" thread?

Broker
Action - $4
+1 Action
Gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile
Look through your discard pile; you may put a card from it on top of your deck.

Thought about it after 2 games; one in which Harbinger kept failing (and often the +Card from Harbinger would be the reason it failed), one in which Scavenger had terminal clash and couldn't be used for cool combos (despite buying up on Villages). LastFootnote came up with a similar card (gaining Silver) before Dark Ages came out. Not sure whether it should cost $4 or $5.

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2017, 05:48:57 am »

Would this ever work? It seems fraught with potential difficulties but hmm:

"+1 Card
When you play this, return it to your hand"

Lost Arts might make it a teeny bit OP.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:52:33 am by madeofghosts »

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:09 am »

Would this ever work? It seems fraught with potential difficulties but hmm:

"+1 Card
When you play this, return it to your hand"

Lost Arts might make it a teeny bit OP.
This doesn't work. Either it is far too weak or totally broken (Champion, Lost Arts) when it single-handedly draws your entire deck.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:57 am »

"When you play a card with this in play, play it again."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 20 queries.