Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Offline Pass and Play  (Read 11707 times)

jacobb

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Offline Pass and Play
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:22:40 am »
+5

I am excited to see an offline version in the works, but from what I understand it will only be against AI. I would love to see an offline pass and play mode. While I'm not trying to be "that guy", it really would make the difference between whether I buy it or not.

Good luck!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Re: Offline Pass and Play
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:24 am »
+3

I am excited to see an offline version in the works, but from what I understand it will only be against AI. I would love to see an offline pass and play mode. While I'm not trying to be "that guy", it really would make the difference between whether I buy it or not.

Good luck!

How would reactions work without letting any player see another player's hand?

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:15 am »
+10

Good luck!

Thanks, we'll consider it.

Good luck!

You could have a big blank screen with just the word "Pass" that the next player has to tap once he has been passed the device. Another option is autoplay for reactions during another player's turn with the settings only adjustable during your own turn. Or you could restrict the card pool to cards that are pass-and-play friendly (or at least have this as an option).

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 09:36:28 am »

I like the idea, and think playing with pass-and-play friendly cards is probably the best option.  Of course if people want to play with the less friendly cards, and they can be worked around, that seems fine, but I think the format would get really clunky if the wrong set of cards got picked.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:10 am »
+13

I think pass-and-play is a really poor fit for Dominion

I do think the "offline" almost needs to have local wireless play. And such games should use the union of all the players' cards. If that means the expansions need to be slightly pricier, fine.

jacobb

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:44:47 am »

Good luck!

Thanks, we'll consider it.

Good luck!

You could have a big blank screen with just the word "Pass" that the next player has to tap once he has been passed the device. Another option is autoplay for reactions during another player's turn with the settings only adjustable during your own turn. Or you could restrict the card pool to cards that are pass-and-play friendly (or at least have this as an option).

I really like both ideas. Thanks for considering it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 09:56:43 am »
+14

"I played Militia."

*passes*

"Okay, I discarded."

*passes*

"Okay, I play Saboteur, and trashed a card."

*passes*

"Okay, I picked a new card to gain."

*passes*

"Okay, I played Masquerade."

*passes*

"Okay, I passed a card."

*passes*

*looks around empty room*

"I'm so alone."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 10:03:19 am »

Put me in the "I will buy (well, use my free credit on) Dominion Offline if it has pass and play but won't if it doesn't" camp. So, you'll start getting $3/month from me a year sooner if you include this feature, and I won't buy this without it.

To solve all those annoying interactions you can just limit kingdoms to not having Masquerade or whatever. One discard attack a turn won't kill everyone. I would really like pass and play for stubborn friends who don't like physical cards or for airplane trips or whatever.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 05:18:25 pm »
+1

Yeah, ditto.  I have a bunch of IRL friends who I get to play Dominion with maybe once a year.  At that rate, even if I do have to wait a day to see what they discard to my Militia, I'm still better off.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 05:28:50 pm »
+1

I don't see how pass-and-play is really much better than solitaire. You can't see what the other players did on their turns unless there's some kind of turn replay feature. If you want pass-and-play, play Scrabble or something.

You know what would be great for pass-and-play? Kingdom Builder. Does the Kingdom Builder app have pass-and-play?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »
+9

Or maybe we should just let ShuffleIt sell a product to people even though we can't figure out why anyone would want it.
It's obvious that there are many people who do want it, I don't see the point in trying to convince them they shouldn't want it.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:13:59 am »

I wonder how many cards are actually "unfriendly" by the most generous definition to pass-and-play, that is, cards where someone has to make a decision during someone else's turn.

Attacks where the attacked part gets to make some decision: Bureaucrat, Militia, Saboteur, Torturer, Ghost Ship, Mountebank, Rabble, Goons, Young Witch, Followers (and by extension Tournament), Oracle, Margrave, Knights, Rogue, Urchin, Mercenary, Soldier (and by extension Peasant). Almost all of these are handsize attacks, so I guess they will have to go. Also, handsize attacks are not obvious decisions, unlike some of the others. Only Young Witch really is an obvious decision.

All the reaction cards that can be used in other players' turns (Hovel is the only reaction card that can not). Moat, Caravan Guard and Horse Traders are going to be reacted in almost all cases, so can be probably automated without great loss. Beggar, Secret Chamber, Fool's Gold, Market Square, Tunnel, Watchtower and Trader could be a bit slow, though obviously Secret Chamber is far slower than anything else. Fool's Gold is probably just fine.

Various other cards that give decisions to other players when played: Bishop, Vault, Duchess, Tournament, Contraband, Advisor, Envoy, Masquerade, Governor. These are potentially the slowest, since people tend to want to stack up on them and their effects stack. Governor in particular might be rather poorly suited for it.

Overall, if someone decides to make a set with "pass and play-problematic" cards removed, mostly reactions and handsize attacks will be affected. And there are still like 200 other good Dominion cards to play with. There are still going to be plenty of attacks (almost all the junkers, a few deck inspection attacks, and all of the unique attacks from Adventures) and other types of interaction left (Lost City, Smugglers, Embargo, Embassy, Council Room etc.).

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:57 am »
+1

Whilw all the above mentioned features would be nice, the single most important selling point for me would be having bots that do not suck.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:07 am »
+5

"I played Militia."

*passes*

"Okay, I discarded."

*passes*

"Okay, I play Saboteur, and trashed a card."

*passes*

"Okay, I picked a new card to gain."

*passes*

"Okay, I played Masquerade."

*passes*

"Okay, I passed a card."

*passes*

*looks around empty room*

"I'm so alone."
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 09:30:14 am »
+5

Or maybe we should just let ShuffleIt sell a product to people even though we can't figure out why anyone would want it.
It's obvious that there are many people who do want it, I don't see the point in trying to convince them they shouldn't want it.

Because providing a bad product makes a company look bad. "This mode sucks! Why did they even include it? Idiots."

Also it's time that could be spent on providing features that are actually worth having.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:31:56 am by LastFootnote »

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:49 am »
+1

Because providing a bad product makes a company look bad. "This mode sucks! Why did they even include it? Idiots."

Also it's time that could be spent on providing features that are actually worth having.
Agree, the #1 priority should be getting a working system on desktops & phones/tablets.
After that, funky features like this could be added.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:38 am »
+9

I feel that better than pass-and-play would be something like bluetooth connectivity in offline mode, so you could play locally with two machines without needing internet connection. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 11:19:39 am »
+3

I don't see how pass-and-play is really much better than solitaire. You can't see what the other players did on their turns unless there's some kind of turn replay feature. If you want pass-and-play, play Scrabble or something.

You know what would be great for pass-and-play? Kingdom Builder. Does the Kingdom Builder app have pass-and-play?
Yes, it does.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »
+4

You can just watch eachother's turns, the strategic benefit is decently minimal.

The comparison to solitaire seems kinda harsh because sometimes people just want to connect to other face to face humans in some way, even if that involves an imperfect game mode on a game they both love. 

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 03:57:01 pm »
+1

I really like that idea. Good old Hot-Seat.
You pass the tablet around and have the game mirrored to the TV.
This is clearly just for the casual players and seeing your opponents hand doesn´t really matter in casual games.
I would very much like such an option.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 02:49:23 am »

When each person has their own device, that's technically not PnP. 
PnP definitions aside (that's pass 'n play board gamers... not Print and Play ;)), Using Bluetooth or local wifi network could work out better for some. 

There's merit to this, as folks may not want to have to deal with online connectivity.  A feature where you push a button and it replays players' turns via animation or game logs could solve the issue of "what did you do on your turn?".  Amongst some of the f2f games, other players only care about what they bought.  A Province, a Gold, etc.  They don't want to sit through and know the gory details of how you played a Village, played another Village, played a Market, played a Smithy, played an Oasis, discarded an Estate, played another Oasis, discarded a Copper, etc.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

nyphot

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 12:56:05 pm »

I do think the "offline" almost needs to have local wireless play. And such games should use the union of all the players' cards. If that means the expansions need to be slightly pricier, fine.

+1 to this!  I play Dominion Online exclusively with people I know and 90% of the time we are in the same room... it is just easier to get a quick game in, and that's often all we have time for.

I doubt I'll buy any more expansions if the only two options are online subscription and play against bots.  I will hold out hope that there will be another way in the future, and will hold onto my current purchases until then, I guess!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »
+1

This is clearly just for the casual players and seeing your opponents hand doesn´t really matter in casual games.
You could have the board on the tv but have all the hidden info on the tablet.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
+2

Sounds like a great idea for the Wii U / NX port of Dominion Online! A thing that totally will happen.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:59 pm »
+1

Sounds like a great idea for the Wii U / NX port of Dominion Online! A thing that totally will happen.

Or the Apple TV version.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 06:10:50 pm »
+2

Cards that require other players to make decisions on turns that aren't theirs:

* Only in games with attacks
** Only in games with interactive cards
# Only complicated due to edge cases
^ Complicated due to reordering cards

Moat*
Bureaucrat
Militia
Bandit

Masquerade (although passing around the screen may be fun flavour)
Diplomat*
Torturer
(Saboteur)

(Smugglers is fine but game logs would be extra important)
Ghost Ship

(Possession is fine but perhaps a different wording would be more appropriate)

Watchtower**
Bishop
Contraband
Mountebank #
Rabble ^
Vault
Goons

Horse Traders*
Tournament (# for on play, but unambiguous for Followers)
Young Witch #

Duchess
Fool's Gold
Oracle ^
Tunnel **,#
Trader **
Mandarin **,#,^ (Only incompatible with Crown: if you gain a Mandarin on a turn that isn't yours and you have two of Crown, Overlord acting as Crown, and an Inherited Estate acting as Crown in play)
Inn **, # (very rare that you'd gain an Inn on a turn other than yours)
Margrave
Border Village **, # (see above)

Beggar *
Market Square **
Urchin
Catacombs **
Knights
Rogue
Hunting Grounds **

Advisor

Page (due to Solider)
Caravan Guard *
Duplicate **

Castles (due to Haunted Castle)
Catapult
Gladiator #
Crown **,# (Only incompatible with Mandarin in the circumstances listed next to it)
Legionary
(Mountain Pass requires passing around but it happens between player's turns)

Envoy
Governor (due to the Remodel option)
Stash **

(Band of Misfits, Inheritance and Overlord and Events are only issues with other cards on the list)
(Coin on the Realm and Royal Carriage are only issues with Caravan Guard)

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »

This ends up happening in the IRL version anyways... having to ask what each player did, so same difference here if it's between a game log or animation.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:08 pm »

This ends up happening in the IRL version anyways... having to ask what each player did, so same difference here if it's between a game log or animation.

If people actually announced cards they were playing and buying like it says to in the rules, then this wouldn't be an issue in real-life games.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 08:57:45 pm »
+1

If people actually announced cards they were playing and buying like it says to in the rules, then this wouldn't be an issue in real-life games.

Someone's testy. :P
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ackmondual

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

If someone's taking a long turn, they would rather just be told "I bought a Province and Duchy", rather than having to pay attention for a minute just to get a few seconds worth of relevant info.

SkyHard

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 02:11:07 am »

I really would like to love the offline play. Hot-seat and LAN-play would be really nice. However, I am a bit worried about bugfixes.

Another point that would be great, is to have an interface to write AIs.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.