Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo : Border village + City + Trash for benefit  (Read 8421 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Combo : Border village + City + Trash for benefit
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:49 pm »

I played two games recently with Border village, city and a trash-for-benefit.
Border village is a very very good target for a trash for benefit, because when BV is in play, it's just a simple village with an expensive cost. Peddler work in the same way : in play, it's a simple market without the +buy.

City is a good addition, because often there are at least one pile emptied, and city help to draw more cards like a laboratory. But also with a double action, it's more easy to play several trash for benefit cards in a single turn.

Game 1 : Border village, City, Bishop.
It was easy to empty the festival pile, and City worked very well.

Game 2 : Border village, city, salvager
His swindler was very very bad. Check his turn 13 : I revealed a border village, and he was forced to replace it with a gold.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:55:49 am by brokoli »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Re: Combo : Border village + City + Trash for benefit
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 04:51:09 pm »

I think that any Border Village plus any strong $5 is a good idea, but Border Village + City... hmm, not fantastic as it stands. You get a glut of actions and no card drawing or buying power.

I see what you're saying with trash for benefit mitigating the weakness of the core combo, but I still find myself a little unconvinced.

But hey, I lost that game!

I would, however, observe that the 5/2 opening stacked things in your favour somewhat. In fact, I'd attribute your victory to the strength of Haggler, not to the strength of border village. Also, I think I made a bad decision in trashing your cities to duchies that game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:55:22 pm by Asklepios »

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:15:58 pm »

I think that any Border Village plus any strong $5 is a good idea, but Border Village + City... hmm, not fantastic as it stands. You get a glut of actions and no card drawing or buying power.

I see what you're saying with trash for benefit mitigating the weakness of the core combo, but I still find myself a little unconvinced.

I can't see another good card instead of city. City give +action and +cards, which are necessary to trash border villages more easily. And you always get a glut of actions with cities...

But hey, I lost that game!

I would, however, observe that the 5/2 opening stacked things in your favour somewhat. In fact, I'd attribute your victory to the strength of Haggler, not to the strength of border village. Also, I think I made a bad decision in trashing your cities to duchies that game.

The second game was more difficult. Especially for my last turn !
I think Bishop is much better than salvager to trash border villages.
The 5/2 opening was clearly advantageous (on the other hand, I was second player), but like I said I think your mistake was the swindler.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:32:49 pm »

I can't see another good card instead of city. City give +action and +cards, which are necessary to trash border villages more easily. And you always get a glut of actions with cities...

Which you probably don't really need. I think the combo here is really BV+T4B. There's no way you can use all those actions... unless you have a diadem in your deck?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:15 pm »

I think the point is not that you need the actions from the BVs, but that you can quickly drain 2 piles and have mega cities.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »

Border Village + Bishop is sweet goodness. I think it's my favorite Bishop thing.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:25 am »
+1

Which you probably don't really need. I think the combo here is really BV+T4B. There's no way you can use all those actions... unless you have a diadem in your deck?

This. WanderingWinder has said it better than me.

If we're talking Border Village + $5 card + Trash for Benefit, then I think there' stronger $5 cards out there. Like say, Haggler, or Wharf.

I'd note, however, that last night, after reading this post, I had an excellent game which had Border Village and Salvager in there, which lost, but which lost against a Rank 42 player by just one point, and which we agreed came down to luck of the last hand's draw. All in all, I have to say that BV + Trash for benefit IS a good combo. Its just the city but that leaves me unconvinced.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:23:23 am »

I understand, but I think the problem with Haggler or wharf, is that they are terminal actions. You really need villages, and not border villages because you have to trash them. If there are no villages, they conflicts with your T4B card.
A non-terminal action would be better, and a level 2 or even level 3 city is very strong.
Something like treasury, Hunting party or stables might work well, though.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:25 am »

I understand, but I think the problem with Haggler or wharf, is that they are terminal actions. You really need villages, and not border villages because you have to trash them. If there are no villages, they conflicts with your T4B card.
A non-terminal action would be better, and a level 2 or even level 3 city is very strong.
Something like treasury, Hunting party or stables might work well, though.

Usually you can''t trash any BV anyway, and of course, especially for Wharf you really would like more Villages. L2/3-City is strong, the problem is the way to it. If your opponent does not contest you on BV and Cities, there is a long way to go here until you have L2-Cities. With Salvager/BV, I would expect most of the Provinces to be gone until that happens.

But if you get your L2-Cities, you also have a mass of actions left. So unless they should be better Labs at this point, you also want some terminals for the Cities, and there you are back at Haggler, Bridge, etc first as terminals and second to easily get them.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

Both links take me to the same game.

BTW, I love the idea of playing a Haggler, buying a Border Village and gaining two Cities from it.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »

It's probably not practical, but this discussion really makes me want to try Talisman + Quarry + BV.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:49:08 am »

Both links take me to the same game.

BTW, I love the idea of playing a Haggler, buying a Border Village and gaining two Cities from it.

Thanks, fixed.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:29 am »

It's probably not practical, but this discussion really makes me want to try Talisman + Quarry + BV.

Not practical at all, but it'd be fun as hell.

Knowing my luck, I'd set it up for a perfect sweep of gaining all the action cards I need from Border Village only to realize I played three Quarries. I think my forehead would shatter my keyboard.
A man has no signature

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »

Border Village + Governor is Border Village + $5 cost + T4B in just two cards. And it combos nicely with the governor remodel.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.