Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33833 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
+1

New expansion announced!

And new civ!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:08 pm »

I saw! It’s interesting that they are adding natural disasters to the civ game with the most expensive workers. That’s... a bold decision, but I am hopeful.

The new mechanics of this expansion are a bit unclear too. There are natural disasters, climate change, mild terraforming (canals, tunnels), new energy sources, the return of the UN and diplomatic victory, and an expanded future tech era?

Right now I don’t have enough free time to get back into civ, hopefully when we get the complete edition with a discount!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 11:51:59 am »
+1

I recently bought Civ 6 on the Switch. Been really enjoying it so far.

I've played two games so far, started my first with the quick start options. I got Brazil, on my own landmass so lots of space to explore and expand. Was a nice introduction to the game, I filled my island, found France to my east, befriended them, found Arabia and Japan to my west, didn't get along so well with them. Went for a culture victory and won fairly easily.

Second game I put on Marathon length, 12 players, Pangaea style map and most other settings random. Was good fun. This time I got Aztecs and decided to start aggressive, wiped my neighbour out fairly quickly and expanded a ton. Ended up with a civ that was more wide than tall (think I had about 30 cities by the end of the game) and went for a conquest victory. I wiped out a few more players along the way, had like -300+ relationships with everyone except Alexander due to warmongering, about a +15 attack bonus from Luxury Resources along with being in the Information Era in the 16th century, and basically just went to town on everyone else.

Now on my third game, I've picked the world map real start locations setting, seemed like a fun gimmick. I put this one on quick, but also upped the difficulty to 5 (was on the default 4 for the first two, and that's clearly pretty easy even to start on). Rolled France, but can definitely see the difference in difficulty straight away. Real start locations world map is a bit of a silly gimmick - if you get several European civs, many will be so hard pressed for space that they just die immediately. I wiped out Germany by capturing their starting settler on turn ~5 (lol). I want to achieve a Religious victory even though France is more geared for Culture, just because I feel like it. I've taken over most of Western Europe, met all but one other player in the local area (Germany, Poland, Egypt, Russia, Persia, whichever Tomyris is) and with space running out, decided to head across the ocean to America. It looks like the final player is probably Brazil but I haven't met them just yet, but I see a city state here influenced by an unknown player and nobody else in North America.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2018, 08:49:12 am »
+1

Maori announced!

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2018, 11:48:18 am »
+1

BLAME CANADA

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2018, 02:12:30 am »
+1

Got to say I'm not overly impressed with the way the game handles higher difficulty. I started a game on Emperor (difficulty 6) since King (5) was managable. The enemy gets lots of bonuses, but a lot of them are very front loaded - on Emperor the enemies start with 2 settlers and 3 warriors, two technologies, two civics, they get a +40% production and gold income boost, +16% faith/culture/science, +2 in combat against you (including Barbarians) and probably a few other minor things.

That would be fine if you weren't likely to have any early battles or anything - they start more quickly but you can catch up and stuff - but what happened to me was I ran into Cleopatra early, who denounced me because I had a weak military (no, really, when you start with 3 times as much as me and I've barely had time to build a single thing?) and low production (wow, you have 2.8x the production as me at the start of the game, I'm so surprised it's higher after 20 turns). Then I ran into Peter, same thing for science/culture. And Gilgamesh denounced me after one turn for no reason whatsoever, and also tells me he hates me for low production. So everyone around me hated me right from the start, and Cleopatra invaded pretty early as well. Lovely.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2018, 09:56:49 am »

Yeah, the way Civ games handle difficulty is one of the main weak points of the series, unfortunately. Note that there are other ways to adjust difficulty, like the kind of map you play in. King-Pangea is closer to Emperor-Small Islands, for example, than both difficulties in Continents. The AI is really bad at water warfare. Or you could choose rival Civs that are more peaceful for your first games at the new difficulty level.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 05:59:45 pm »
+1

Yeah, the way Civ games handle difficulty is one of the main weak points of the series, unfortunately. Note that there are other ways to adjust difficulty, like the kind of map you play in. King-Pangea is closer to Emperor-Small Islands, for example, than both difficulties in Continents. The AI is really bad at water warfare. Or you could choose rival Civs that are more peaceful for your first games at the new difficulty level.

That makes a lot of sense. I've been leaving the AI on random in general, and the map I was playing that game on was fractal, but ended up being basically Pangaea - it was one massive island with a few small inland seas. I was surrounded by Russia (east, their only neighbour off of a peninsula), Alexander (Southeast, though a city state acted as a buffer for long enough that he never bothered me), Gilgamesh (Southwest, eventually I befriended him but before that he hated me), Cleopatra (West, she declared war on me twice). North of me was the ocean.

I eventually decided I could maybe make up a bit of my deficit by using spies to steal tech boosts and great works - and then proceeded to apparently recruit the most incompetent spies money can buy. Collectively my spies failed their first 5 missions, all at 74% success rates (two got captured, three escaped without anything happing) putting me behind maybe 75 turns or so on actually levelling my spies up and doing useful things with them. That sucked. But eventually my spies pulled through, I caught up on tech/civics, starting pushing tourism hard, stealing great works from Russia and England and disrupting Rocketry on Alexander and Gilgamesh (my two allies, lol) who had completed 2 steps of a science victory at this point, and was actually in a position where, if those two weren't on the verge of science victory, I might have won. But eventually Gilgamesh repaired his spaceports and finished his final project. So I was surprised how close I got it in the end.

Amusingly, after this I decided to play a small islands game on King, as something to be a little more relaxing, and got a totally awful start. Persia about 8 tiles south of me, Egypt about the same to my west, no city states anywhere near. And to make it worse I had a really bad starting location - no river, not a whole lot of bonus resources, and by the time I got my second settler out, Persia had already settled the only good location near me- then he decided to declare a surprise war, with something like 5 warriors and 2 archers while I had 3 warriors and a slinger.

I restarted at that point. Same settings next game though I forgot to adjust the difficulty up, and ended up with a hilariously easier start. On my own decent sized island, while every other civ was on this massive S bend shaped island. And much nicer civs as well. At one point, I was declared friends with everyone. Just recently Poland and Persia decided to declare a joint surprise war on me, which seemed like a bizarre move given my army was like two tech levels ahead of them and they had lots of small settlements they couldn't defend. I'm now 5 cities bigger than I was 10 turns ago and getting a ton of stuff from Poland for their trouble. Persia will come soon after, once I take over their capital and use it for a bit.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2018, 10:04:54 am »

Announcing the Inca!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 10:39:36 am »
+1

After a break for the holidays, Mali have been announced:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:08 am »
+1

I have played some more and gotten better at the game. I wish I'd kept a save on turn 1 from my game as Rome on Emperor (difficulty 6) as I kinda want to give it another go. But alas, it's gone now. I have won a game on Emperor as England, cultural victory. And more recently I won one on Immortal (difficulty 7) as Scythia, science victory - though considering I conquered a lot of territory it may have been quicker to win conquest.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:26 am »

Sweden announced:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
+1

Next up: Ottomans!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2019, 10:16:23 am »
+1

Phoenicia announced:

Also, a short video describing the new features of the expansion:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
+1

Today seems to have been the day that those with preview copies of the expansion can start posting videos. Several LPs have just started today - I've seen PotatoMcWhiskey is doing a Maori playthrough, Quill18 is doing a Canada playthrough and several others.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 11:35:03 am »
+1

Final leader reveal, Eleanor of Aquitaine:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2019, 02:01:50 pm »
+1

I ended up getting Civ 6 on PC and also got Gathering Storm. It's very fun. Unfortunately my first game ended just as I was about to hit the Future Era, which is a shame but not super unexpected.

I still feel like the way AI is handled, along with the relative lack of good catch up mechanics, is the game's biggest weakness. Once you get to a point where you're decently strong compared to the AI, that's it, you've won. The remaining ~100 turns are just you fulfilling the victory condition.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2019, 01:15:27 am »

I find that the longevity of a Civ game mostly depends on your willingness to roleplay your civ and/or set side goals. Because otherwise it’s indeed very rare to not have a game decided 100 turns before the end.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
+2

So I splurged yesterday and got the base game since it was on sale on Humble Bundle, and I have to say, it's a lot more fun than I expected. After 100+ hours with Civ III & IV, Civ VI felt like a breath of fresh air. It's a lot more streamlined and has noticeable QoL improvements. I've heard people say that it feels a lot more "game-y" than the previous versions, and for me, that's a good thing. Civ IV, in particular, felt like it had so much going on (starting with BtS didn't help though to be fair) and it was hard to figure things out and actually improve. A few notable favourite additions in Civ VI are:
  • Military combat is a thousand times more fun, now that stacks of death are gone and ranged attacks are in. The focus on powerful singe units (love armies & corps) vs. droves of smaller ones means the same amount of strategy with less micromanaging. It's worth noting though that the AI doesn't seem as good at combat as before.
  • The culture tree and policies is a really fun mechanic! I also like how city growth has changed, and the new culture victory is so much better than before with a focus on overall growth, not just three tall cities.
  • Districts make city building feel more organised, I especially like how much it helps and encourages you in city specification. Now it is a bit of a headache to plan all your districts out for adjacency and space and whatnot, but I'm still happy with it.
Overall a great purchase. I'll certainly pick up an expansion or two when I get bored of the base game.

EDIT: How could I forget the "make this deal more acceptable". It's such a good feature.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:24:49 pm by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:43 pm »

Speaking of Civ 6, the new update came out yesterday. Mostly affects Gathering Storm, but some stuff is added to base game. On the one hand it's surprising some of these things took as long to be added as they did (notifications not covering the screen at the start of each turn, hovering over unit portraits to see any special abilities the unit has) but many others are really nice additions that make the game more fun. The improvements to Lumber Mills are very nice, I'm still in my first game with them but suddenly I'm not wanting to chop every forest in my empire? Shame I have almost no Rainforest to test out the Rainforest Lumber Mills, but well I know what they're gonna do so... yeah.

• The culture tree and policies is a really fun mechanic! I also like how city growth has changed, and the new culture victory is so much better than before with a focus on overall growth, not just three tall cities.
  • Districts make city building feel more organised, I especially like how much it helps and encourages you in city specification. Now it is a bit of a headache to plan all your districts out for adjacency and space and whatnot, but I'm still happy with it.

It's not just the culture victory that encourages growth now. Civ 6's mechanics in general make settling as many cities as possible usually the best move. Which is more fun than just having 2-4 really good cities, I agree, but it would be nice for the game to give a bit more incentive to building tall cities. Right now you can pretty happily let most cities stagnate at like 10 pop and be perfectly content. That gets you four districts and 10 good tiles worked, that's usually all you need for a city to be about as productive as it can be. But districts in general are great. I do wonder if and how they're gonna change them in Civ 7. Right now I feel like the district system is one of the biggest things pushing you to want more cities, but what if you could effectively get two Campuses in one city? Or something very similar at least. That would give an incentive to build taller.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »
+1

I've gotten a not-too-shabby 47 hours in over this past week. I've beaten the game on emperor difficulty twice, but have lost on immortal. It certainly drags in parts: the last 20-40 turns are usually just doing busywork while you wait for things to complete. So far my working strategy is early warmongering to expand your empire, then spam out Campuses and rush The Enlightenment for Rationalism. Once I have that in place I will start to make 300-400 science per turn, more than enough to catch up to and outpace the AIs. Two powerful industrial cities will help with spaceports and projects. This strategy would have worked on my immortal game, but I wasted crucial turns and production trying to take out France right as they got their unique unit out. If I had just switched into Science then I maybe could have won. Ah well, next turn.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »
+1

Battle Royale in Civ 6 haha why?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2019, 06:55:47 pm »

I have no idea what I just watched.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.