Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33829 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

So I've been playing a fair and have been doing quite well on the medium difficulty levels. It feels really weird that apparently I can do whatever and the AI doesn't care. For example, the last game I never built any military after turn 100, except for recruiting tons of great Admirals that I parked in my ports. Two opponents declared war on me early on, but didn't attack me, and after that 2 of them just kept denouncing me and never did anything to attack me. Is there a way to fix this?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »

AI becomes less likely to declare war as the game goes on since warmonger penalties get very high. Also, I think medium difficulty and below AI's are a bit less inclined to go to war. Higher level AI will go to war more often and more aggressively engage you when they do.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »

Do warmonger penalties apply even for civilizations you never met? In my first game, I have the potential to wipe every other civilization off my continent without having met any other civilizations outside the continent.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »
+2

I believe your warmonger status starts at 0 once you meet a new civ. So wiping out your continent before caravels means no one knows the extent of your bloodlust.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:13 am »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.
Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:11 am »

Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 11:33:51 am »

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.

And having trade routes with them is still a form of interaction, becoming more complicated if the other players are at war against you or even amongst themselves.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »

You don’t actually *need* to meet all other players for a culture victory, though it’s true that it helps. But you really only need to build a caravel to meet them all, anyway. Sending trade routes is not a huge problem either, as long as you avoid war, which is easy if you are on your own island.

But yeah, science is the quintessential isolationist victory in Civ.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »

Mapuche have been announced:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
+1

Say hello once again to Shaka of the Zulu:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:00 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

Already did.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »

Shaka’s face looks... off? I like the music though.

Not getting the expansion until the price drops. Besides, currently BotW is taking all my free time.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
+1

I finally finished this playthrough, except I ended up winning through a culture victory. I was playing as Greece (Pericles) and I was on my to win the science victory, but then I wanted to know what all those archeological sites around my island were. One thing led to another and I eventually found myself trying to max out tourism with a combination of great works and policies (and a great merchant that made all my campuses give a huge tourism bonus). I had like 8 artifact museums by the end. You even try to make the museum themed in what I guess you can say is poker-like but is much more like what you have in the board game Elysium if anyone has played that.

Tourism is pretty poorly explained in game by the way. I initially thought you just had to boost the raw number of tourists you see at the top of the screen, but that is just the tourism per turn you generate not taking into account modifiers towards specific civilizations. Instead you earn tourists over time at the rate seen at the top.

It also felt like the amount of displeasure in my cities fluctuated a bit from turn to turn. It was weird. Edit: it's more likely that the game is shifting which cities get luxury resources and so this is why the unhappy status of a city seems to go away after a turn.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:13:10 am by markusin »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:50 pm »
+1

Civ IV is 75% off on Humble Bundle right now, only $7.50 for the complete version. I just picked up a copy and am looking forward to playing it, I've been told it's the best of the series.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2018, 05:57:43 pm »
+1

Civ IV is 75% off on Humble Bundle right now, only $7.50 for the complete version. I just picked up a copy and am looking forward to playing it, I've been told it's the best of the series.

You might need a guide to play it, but it’s good. Civfanatics.com has a lot of resources for it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2018, 08:32:01 pm »
+1

You might need a guide to play it, but it’s good. Civfanatics.com has a lot of resources for it.

I tried replaying Civ IV, Beyond the Sword recently. It felt weird, because you have so many more "micro-decisions" to make. Lots of tech, units, and, land improvements are needed as each individual instance of them is low impact. I remember that expansion having the AI always go for "stacks of doom", but it seems they play in a much more interesting way when on the defensive. They spread out their units to defend several cities at once and are willing to send out units to poke at gaps in your army (there is a Rock-Paper-Scissors element to the combat). It was actually kind of enjoyable. Oh and the music is really cool. Who can forget this classic: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=en71FxPnv2o

I would say give it a go, but I think I prefer Civ VI to it. Civ VI just felt like it doesn't have a bunch of the more tedious elements of older Civ games.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2018, 10:23:47 am »

I'll probably try to find some tutorial to help when I boot it up over the weekend. I've already played Civ III though, is IV that different?

I tried replaying Civ IV, Beyond the Sword recently. It felt weird, because you have so many more "micro-decisions" to make. Lots of tech, units, and, land improvements are needed as each individual instance of them is low impact. I remember that expansion having the AI always go for "stacks of doom", but it seems they play in a much more interesting way when on the defensive. They spread out their units to defend several cities at once and are willing to send out units to poke at gaps in your army (there is a Rock-Paper-Scissors element to the combat). It was actually kind of enjoyable. Oh and the music is really cool. Who can forget this classic: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=en71FxPnv2o

I would say give it a go, but I think I prefer Civ VI to it. Civ VI just felt like it doesn't have a bunch of the more tedious elements of older Civ games.

I've usually heard that IV was the best. Next time there's a good sale I'll probably pick up VI or V.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2018, 10:44:12 am »
+1

I'll probably try to find some tutorial to help when I boot it up over the weekend. I've already played Civ III though, is IV that different?
Civ 4 is essentially something that took the innovations that Civ 3 brought in and did them right. There's not much in the way of radically new mechanics except for religion, but there's quite a lot that has changed in small ways.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2018, 10:56:58 am »
+1

Civ IV is usually considered the best by people that prefer immersion / an experience that feels closer to a civ simulation. V and VI have the better mechanics overall, but it’s a bit more game-y. The AI doesn’t quite know what to do with 1UpT either, but the combat is still more enjoyable than in IV.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2018, 10:39:47 pm »
+1

I would be curious to hear what you think of CIV, theta :)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2018, 10:11:22 am »
+2

I would be curious to hear what you think of CIV, theta :)

Yeah! Disclaimer: I'm quite the noob at Civ.

So it was a bit of a pain to get it working, the game kept on freezing when trying to skip the intro and eventually crashed my whole PC at least twice. Also, Fullscreen mode was glitchy when minimizing to do other things. Fortunately, I figured out that you just needed to wait 5 seconds and not click anything and it would pop back up easily. And I disabled the intro movie so in the end, I got it running really smoothly.

The first game I played as Greece (IIRC) on Cheiftan difficulty. As I expected, it was a pretty breezy game and by 1950 or so I had a pretty hardcore military. I could have won by domination or just have played the game out, but I ended up winning by Space Race.

Next, I tried a game on Warlord as I-forget-who. I expected it to be about as easy, but I ended up getting smashed around 1400 because I hadn't invested in the military. I guess the other civs will automatically try to attack you if you're weak enough? I tried again as England but only held off slightly better before caving to attacks by multiple civs on multiple fronts.

By this point, I was getting a little frustrated and tuned the difficulty back to Cheiftan. It was a little wimpy, but I don't particularly enjoy getting my butt kicked, and I wanted to spend some more time just familiarizing myself with the game. I couldn't finish my playthrough, but again it was pretty breezy.

As for the game itself, it's much better than Civ III and definitely less "clunky" as you said. A couple things stood out as obvious improvements; the government types were better explained, movement and combat were nicer, and recommended buildings and techs made the first game easier. I'm still getting used to the new things though, Religion and Espionage were kinda ignored the first game and I still don't fully understand how they work. And the new Diplomacy/Government/Military/X advisors are a little harder to use in some cases. Navigating diplomacy actually feels like a downgrade. When you exit it takes you back to the map instead of the diplomacy chart, making me need to f4 spam if I want to see if any of the civs will declare war on somebody. In addition, there's no way to view diplomacy when presented with a deal, so I don't have the choice of figuring out what my relations to Alexander are before I join Isabella in combat against him.

The game's super fun, and I hope once I grasp the intricacies I can start getting into the strategy and playing at higher difficulties.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
+1

Spent some time reading up on the guide and manual, and won my first game at Warlord difficulty as Ethiopia through Diplomatic Victory with the Apostolic Palace.

EDIT: Warlord difficulty, not Noble.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:04:04 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:57 am »
+1

I'm getting the hang of Warlord difficulty, and after a breezy Culture victory as China I'm ready to move up to warlord I think. I doubt I'll ever get up to Deity because I don't enjoy the stress and strategy of really high levels. All the reviews I heard were right, this game is really fun and addicting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.