Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33834 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:24 am »
+2

The Netherlands have been revealed:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:37 am »
+4

I'll just give a bit of explanation of the Dutch things, because history is fun!

Queen Wilhelmina: First Queen of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (well, unless you count Emma, but she was a regent for Wilhelmina technically). She is most famous for the Second World War, where she fled to England when the nazi's invaded. From there she became heavily involved with the Dutch resistance. There are more than 200 streets named after her (only counting -straat, not counting -road, -drive etc.).

Grote Rivieren (lit. Big Rivers): The three main rivers of the Netherlands are called 'de Grote Rivieren': the Rhine, Meuse and Waal. Because the Netherlands is situated in a river delta, these rivers have been historically important as trading routes, and remain important until this day, helped by the Port of Rotterdam (the largest port in Europe). The Grote Rivieren also function as a cultural divide, with 'Boven (above) de Rivieren' and 'Onder (below) de Rivieren' as a way of saying 'Northerner' or 'Southerner'

Polder: Around 17% of the country is made up of polders, land that has been reclaimed on water. Most of them used to be lakes (like the Haarlemmermeerpolder, where the main airport Schiphol is located), but the most famous (and biggest) is Flevoland, an entire province which has reclaimed. The Afsluitdijk now is the barrier between the sea and the (new) lake. In the lake, a part is drained to form Flevoland.

De Zeven Provinciën (lit. the Seven Provinces): This is the name of a bunch of ships, but looking at the model in-game, they probably mean this one. This used to be Michiel De Ruyter's main ship when he kicked the English' butts in the Second Anglo-Dutch War (1665-67). The name comes from the fact that the Netherlands used to be a republic of seven united provinces (Holland, Utrecht, Friesland, Groningen, Zeeland, Gelderland and Overijssel), after defeating the Spanish in the Dutch Revolt.

Radio Oranje (lit. Radio Orange): This was the main line of communication between the London government-in-exile and the Dutch Resistance during the Second World War. Queen Wilhelmina gave famous speeches on this radio channel, that could only be listened to via illegal radio's (the nazi's had confiscated all radio's at this point). The Queen was first seen as a coward for fleeing to London, but with her speeches, she became very popular once more. The name Orange comes from the French town of Orange. William of Nassau inherited this Principality, becoming William of Orange-Nassau (van Oranje-Nassau, also known as William the Silent). This lead to the royal family (yes, during the republic we had a (kind-of) royal house still. It was very confusing) becoming known as 'the Oranjes'. This is also why Dutch athletes wear orange during their matches.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 10:57:07 am »
+2

The Mongol Horde returns:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »
+1

India has a second leader now:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:43 pm »
+2

The Cree have been announced:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 10:05:39 am »
+2

Georgia (the country, not the state) has been announced:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
+1

If you haven’t bought the base game yet, you can find it for 12$, with 2 DLCs, in this month’s Humble Monthly. You will also get a few extra mystery games at the end of the month, but even just Civ6 alone is worth more than that. Note that it’s a subscription system, so make sure to cancel the subscription right after you pay for this month, if you don’t want to pay for the following ones.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?hmb_source=humble_monthly&hmb_medium=banner
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »

If you haven’t bought the base game yet, you can find it for 12$, with 2 DLCs, in this month’s Humble Monthly. You will also get a few extra mystery games at the end of the month, but even just Civ6 alone is worth more than that. Note that it’s a subscription system, so make sure to cancel the subscription right after you pay for this month, if you don’t want to pay for the following ones.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?hmb_source=humble_monthly&hmb_medium=banner

How are the games delivered? Is it downloadable somehow, or do they mail copies?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 04:14:56 pm »

Downloadable via Steam. For some games, there's also a DRM-free version you can download from the Humble website, but I don't think Civ6 is one of them.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 05:52:15 pm »
+1

Downloadable via Steam. For some games, there's also a DRM-free version you can download from the Humble website, but I don't think Civ6 is one of them.

Exactly what I was looking for then. What is with these high profile games being so cheap when on sale? I got Doom 4 for like $20 on steam sometime last year.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »
+2

So, thanks to the heads up from pacovf, I bought Civ 6 VI over the weekend and tried it out a bit.

I was greeted with a tutorial mode that gives me the freedom to try conquering the one other civilization in the game, but neglects to provide a way to save progress during the tutorial. That was annoying both because I had to leave and because I messed up and didn't realise some of the military units cost so much upkeep.

It's also a bit of a shame that the tutorial didn't introduce the city states. I can't imagine how lost I would be if I hadn't already played previous Civ games. There is the new Faith resource I have to figure out as well as the city states. Oh, and there is now a separate Civics tree with way more bonuses to choose from than I know what to do with.

I do kind of like the limited charges on the builders. I just realised now that it blends with the new districts element that limits your available improvement space anyway. It all results in less tedium coming about from constantly ordering workers/builders to do stuff around your cities.

The game has me excited. I only have access to the game on the computer I typically can only use on weekends.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 08:20:04 am »
+1

I think the UI and the lack of explanation of some mechanics are the main gripes people have with the game. If you want to figure stuff out without trial and error, civfanatics forums (or Google/reddit) are your best bet.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:37 am »

I think the UI and the lack of explanation of some mechanics are the main gripes people have with the game. If you want to figure stuff out without trial and error, civfanatics forums (or Google/reddit) are your best bet.

The UI is pretty weird. I still don't know how to check what tiles my city has its citizens working on, or if such a mechanic exists at all and if instead all tiles in my city border are worked.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:58 am »

When you click on a city, there’s a small UI with its name and what it’s building. Right on top of that there’s a button to get extra details about the city, one to buy tiles, one to check what tiles citizens are working, and two others to buy units/buildings with gold/faith, IIRC.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:49 am »

When you click on a city, there’s a small UI with its name and what it’s building. Right on top of that there’s a button to get extra details about the city, one to buy tiles, one to check what tiles citizens are working, and two others to buy units/buildings with gold/faith, IIRC.

I'll have to check this in a real game. The tutorial blocks off certain options until it decides it's okay for you to learn about them.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 07:47:40 am »
+4

So I got this without playing any CIV game before, and the tutorial is aweful. It starts of with telling me precisely where to click, mentioning things but not realyl explaining:
"The number to the left is your city's population" - What number? The 1? How can my city only have 1 guy???
"Each hex needs to be worked on by someone in order to produce" - So shoudn't i tell my people where to work?
"Kill that Barbarian" - Right click, it's killed, but I still have no clue how combat works.
"This is the civics tree, it works just like the tech tree" - You haven't even shown me the tech tree yet...
Then it tells me to win a Domination victory, still not explaining how fighting actually works, and even after having the enemy capital at 0 hp for 20 turns, the game doesn't end...

I don't really want to look at online guides, because I only want to know the rules, but want to figure out the strategy myself
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:50:03 am by Watno »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:46 am »

You have to move a melee unit, like a Warrior, into the same tile as the enemy city and capture it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »
+2

Civ has a steep learning curve and given past civ tutorials I'm not surprised 6's is terrible.

City population tells you how many hexes can be worked by the city. If you open the city screen you can see each tile produces some resources like food or gold or whatnot. Click a tile to work it, or you can have the city automatically pick tiles to work. Each population point consumes some amount of food. Any food you produce over this amount goes into a bucket. When that bucket fills, you city increases in population and you can work an extra tile, getting more resources, but consuming more food.

The gear resource is production. Your city can also build one thing at a time like a unit or building. Each thing takes a certain amount of gears to complete. The more gears you produce per turn the quicker you finish whatever you are making.

Units and buildings have a gold maintenance cost. You get gold lots of ways but it is another resource you can see in tiles. If you don't produce enough gold you slowly drain your coffee and units will go away until you're in the black. Also gold can be used to directly purchase buildings and units instantly in your cities.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:19:55 pm by jonts26 »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »

Civ has a steep learning curve and given past civ tutorials I'm not surprised 6's is terrible.

City population tells you how many hexes can be worked by the city. If you open the city screen you can see each tile produces some resources like food or gold or whatnot. Click a tile to work it, or you can have the city automatically pick tiles to work. Each population point consumes some amount of food. Any food you produce over this amount goes into a bucket. When that bucket fills, you city increases in population and you can work an extra tile, getting more resources, but consuming more food.

The gear resource is production. Your city can also build one thing at a time like a unit or building. Each thing takes a certain amount of gears to complete. The more gears you produce per turn the quicker you finish whatever you are making.

Units and buildings have a gold maintenance cost. You get gold lots of ways but it is another resource you can see in tiles. If you don't produce enough gold you slowly drain your coffee and units will go away until you're in the black. Also gold can be used to directly purchase buildings and units instantly in your cities.

The thing I've noticed with the Civilization series is that much of its iterative growth over each installment has been additive. The way cities work tiles, grow, and produce units/buildings has been roughly the same since the earliest Civilization games. The same is true for elements like income flow and technology advancement. City discontent, forms of government, diplomacy, and espionage are gameplay elements that have been around since Civilization II (though I don't believe a tutorial mode was one of those things). From there they have steadily added additional complexities like culture, great people, religion, civics, more victory conditions, and now in Civilization VI faith and city states.

Very little has been taken out between games I feel. The result is that playing some of the later Civilization games feel daunting if you haven't played the older games. The tutorial for Civilization VI is bad because it seems to strongly assume you've played older Civ games (even when the advisor option is set to "Never played a Civilization game before") and then forces you out of selecting options other than the one it expects you to choose for a very long time, hindering your ability to explore stuff. From what I recall, it has the style of saying "this action will result in this" without explaining the mechanism through which the result is achieved. Plus, can't save your game in the tutorial.

I guess you have to check out the "Civilopedia" to thoroughly learn about a bunch of stuff, including basic stuff like combat mechanics. As you can imagine, the Civilopedia is massive.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:31:15 pm by markusin »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:17 pm »

I disagree with that notion. Vanilla Civ 5 took away a bunch of stuff from the complete version of Civ 4 in an effort to streamline the series, then reinvented some concepts through expansions. Vanilla Civ 6 is an outlier in the series, because it reuses most concepts from Civ 5, and adds a few new ones, but a lot of concepts have been dropped throughout the series.

City discontent wasn't a thing in Civ 5, and takes such a different form in Civ 6 I don't know if it qualifies. Forms of governments weren't a thing in Civ 5, and they look very, very different in 6 from previous games. Espionage looks different in pretty much every game. Corporations were only in Civ4. Health was in 4 but not in 5 (housing works similarly to health in 6). City flipping through culture was in 4 but not in 5 (though they are adding something similar in 6:R&F). Units consuming resources were a thing in 5, but not in 6 anymore. Vassals and colonies were only a thing in 4. Corps and armies were a thing in 3, but did not come back until 6, in a different form. The council of nations / UN is not a thing in 6 (though I imagine it will get added in an expansion). And of course, Civ:BE introduced a bunch of stuff that hasn't been reused for 6.

But ok, I might be biased. I started with Civ2 when I was a kid.

I found the civilopedia in 6 to be kinda bad for details, but maybe it's better for explaining concepts?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »

I disagree with that notion. Vanilla Civ 5 took away a bunch of stuff from the complete version of Civ 4 in an effort to streamline the series, then reinvented some concepts through expansions. Vanilla Civ 6 is an outlier in the series, because it reuses most concepts from Civ 5, and adds a few new ones, but a lot of concepts have been dropped throughout the series.

City discontent wasn't a thing in Civ 5, and takes such a different form in Civ 6 I don't know if it qualifies. Forms of governments weren't a thing in Civ 5, and they look very, very different in 6 from previous games. Espionage looks different in pretty much every game. Corporations were only in Civ4. Health was in 4 but not in 5 (housing works similarly to health in 6). City flipping through culture was in 4 but not in 5 (though they are adding something similar in 6:R&F). Units consuming resources were a thing in 5, but not in 6 anymore. Vassals and colonies were only a thing in 4. Corps and armies were a thing in 3, but did not come back until 6, in a different form. The council of nations / UN is not a thing in 6 (though I imagine it will get added in an expansion). And of course, Civ:BE introduced a bunch of stuff that hasn't been reused for 6.

But ok, I might be biased. I started with Civ2 when I was a kid.

I found the civilopedia in 6 to be kinda bad for details, but maybe it's better for explaining concepts?

Oh wow I didn't realise Civ 5 had made all those changes, and I thought Civ 5 was mostly just the one that introduced non-stacking unit mechanics. I played Civ 2 through 4 prior to playing Civ 6. I did feel like base Civ 4 felt like it was missing a few things, but some of that missing stuff got added in expansions (espionage for one, and colonies as well). I did play Civilization: Beyond Earth, but I figured seeing it spin off from earlier entries was to be expected.

It just feels like Civ 6 feels very familiar coming off of Civ 4. I also didn't get far enough to realise the UN is not a thing in Civ 6. I honestly don't remember Civ 3 that much, bit Civ 2 is one my brother played constantly and so is the classic entry for us.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:42 am »

I'm still waiting for Civ 6 to reintroduce Corporations.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2018, 10:06:34 am »

Scotland has been revealed:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:37 am »

...golf course huh.

Also, no bonuses related to the new mechanics. Kinda weird.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
+1

It turns out my 5+ year old computer can run Civilization VI mostly fine. Load times to start/load games are longer than on my more up-to-date computer, but the game itself is perfectly playable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.