Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33831 times)

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 05:14:12 am »

Builders work differently now, that's interesting.
I've never viewed workers as single units, but rather a representation of manpower, your empire's labor force. Giving them "charges" before they're used up and have to be replaced seems way less abstract and like it might make things pretty fiddly...

I am a bit wary about what we know on how armies work...
The conglomeration aspect is a work-around for 1UPT. While combining units will give you less pieces on the board that have to be moved, you're still going to be "specializing" every time you make a customized corps, and that means gambling on the opponent not finding a decent counter.

Quote from: That Thing What pacovf Linked
There are now Just and Unjust wars and as time goes on the diplomatic penalty for unjust wars increases significantly
This has been a thing for quite a while: civs individually and collectively whining about you taking someone else's clay. All the more incentive to axe rush your continent: take out rivals before anybody has a chance to see it and complain about it.

Quote from: That Thing What pacovf Linked
3-minute day-and-night cycle
I know the late-game moves at a glacial pace, but is this necessary in a game spanning thousands of years? EDIT: Okay, it looks like it might be just a graphical thing. Maybe it adds a bit of variety to the scenery or something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:24:01 am by junkers »

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »
+2

The corps option of limited stacking in CVI, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how that works. Districts are going to be fun to mess around with as well, both because it won't become mandatory for me to put cities at the coast if harbor districts are a thing, and pillaging might actually be more meaningful if districts are more important than plain old improvements.

I personally prefer 1UPT over stacks of doom forever, but a variety of problems makes it a pain in the arse to use melee units in CiV.

1. There's a lot of dense terrain that slows your units down. Map choice can end up generating a lot of choke points all over the map as well.
2. Most melee units in the game only have 2 movement points. Combined with the dense terrain, your melee units could potentially be moving 1 tile per turn. That is really bad.
3. Building roads to increase the throughput of your army starts getting really expensive gold wise, which already sucks since unit maintenance costs scale very strongly.
4. Cities are really hard to kill and have a strong counter-attack.

Contrast this with ranged units, which
a. Can attack from 2 (or more!) spaces away, granting all sorts of initiative and the ability to focus fire more effectively.
b. Can attack without worrying about counter-attacks, and even counter-attack against melee attacks.
c. Generally don't cost that much in hammers or gold over their melee counterparts.
d. Can't capture cities! But oh boy, they're way better at actually fighting cities than melee units are.

I remember a few articles a long time ago about CiV taking some inspiration from Advance Wars (it was one of the reasons they went to 1UPT). But even in AW, units didn't always move at glacial speeds, and there was still a limited stacking option instead of disallowing stacking outright. General map design usually avoided making choke points all over the map, and didn't cover like >50% of the map in mountains and forests.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »

Anyone else been keeping up with this?  They've been releasing First Look videos every week on new civs - the latest was Spain.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 12:49:26 am »

I saw! We finally got a Spanish leader that isn't Isabel! I would have preferred Carlos I, but Felipe II is the other logical choice. I am happy. The Conquistador seems very meh, but the other religious bonuses seem cool in light of the new religious victory.

Districts seem like they are going to change war are nearly as much as 1UpT, so that's also cool.

A bit concerned about spies.

I am starting to get hyped about it.

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:19 am »

India revealed:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 02:21:18 am »
+1

Gandhi revealed.

Nukes inbound, then.

Haven't been keeping up with it, but Japan's Meiji Restoration and Kamikaze abilities look interesting; and Tokimune was an interesting choice for leader.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »
+1

And now Rome:

NDA is supposed to end next week.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

One more hour to preorder, in case anyone is interested.

Personally I will wait until the first sale, not enough time for Civ any time soon... Post your impressions about the game so I can feel all jealous of you people.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:07 am »
+3

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40:56 am »

This game is amazing  ;D ;D ;D played all night on a game with greece
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 12:27:09 am »

Hot damn the music is catchy.  Also I'm really liking the jigsaw puzzle of how to fit everything you want into your city.  Certainly I'm spamming wonders a lot less, thinking more carefully about which ones I *really* want, though that's made a little easier by all the terrain and adjacency requirements.  Also, I'm quite glad there's only one early game wonder.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:35 pm »
+2

I like Districts. It makes each city have more character and not be all samey. The music is great. Food seems harder to come by than in CivV. The only thing I miss so far is a trade route overview to let me sort potential routes by gold, total yield, etc. I like the whole Civics system.

I'm currently playing my first game as Gilgamesh. He gets to start the game with access to War Carts which are better than Chariots, which seems a bit OP. One of his other things is getting native village bonuses from conquered Barbarian camps. I got a Relic out of one of those. I am currently pumping out twice as much science as the next guy and just started my spaceport (in 1830) so I think I will bump the difficulty up a notch for next game. I didn't get to start a religion so I am looking forward to doing that next game too.

Your people are enthused to try Cold War! ;D

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:50 pm »

I managed a Science victory on Emperor difficulty as Tomyris. She has some very powerful military abilities (units heal 50 HP when they kill a unit, and get a second light cavalry-line unit for free whenever you train one). So far I have maxed out both techs and civics around turn 375 each game, so I feel there is some tweaking to be done there. There are a bunch of hidden bonuses you get from techs and civics that don't show up as icons; you have to hover the tech/civic in order to see them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:18:02 pm by singletee »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 06:48:00 pm »
+1

Australia has been added:

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »
+1

I had an... unexpected victory.  Playing Trajan, I had enough tourism from random buildings that I won the cultural victory before I could move on to the science victory I was intended to shoot for.

(I think this was on a slightly easier-than-average game.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:30 pm »
+2

Two new civs to be added (probably tomorrow):

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:38 pm »

I just want to punch that smug smile off of alexander.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 08:14:24 pm »

This civ is getting a lot of "Greece".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »

This civ is getting a lot of "Greece".

It certainly is.  Hopefully some of the other civs get alternate leaders soon.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »

Any wishes for second leaders?

Personally just waiting for the Ottomans instead.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:59 am »

There are going to be at least 2 more DLC packs, and these 2 will be free for Digital Deluxe owners:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1295192364625991814

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:39 am »
+1

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:26 am »
+1

Two more!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 10:45:12 am »
+4

An expansion has been announced!  Adds Golden and Dark Ages, and overall seems to add more dynamism to the game:

https://civilization.com/news/entries#announcing-civilization-vi-rise-and-fall

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
+2

First civ for the expansion revealed, Korea:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.