Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33835 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »
+1

Looks good. Guess I'm going to drop $100+ on this one too ;D

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:51:16 am »

This "districting" is going to make your opening moves less by rote, for sure, but I can see it being a nightmare once you've got a sizeable empire with a few conquered factions under your belt. It seems heavily focused on local minutiae, and unless governors are not horrible, it could result in a lot of micro-managing.

I did like some of the updates in V, but it felt like a tactical boardgame, rather than, y'know, actually running a civ. So on the other hand, maybe this is going to bring the series back around.

I still miss stacks of doom, though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:08 am »
+5

I'm imagining myself in a retirement home at age 80, spending all of my time playing Civ 14.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:17:49 am »
+7

I'm imagining myself in a retirement home at age 80, spending all of my time playing Civ 14.

Technician's log, March 15th, 20XX:

Going to have to decommission DosageBot794-X1.
That's the fifth time this month Mr. Kirian has been found, clearly unmedicated, raving about "that treacherous, bald, Indian bastard and his nuclear holocausts".

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:06 am »

+Districts sounds very interesting
+Bringing back local happiness
+Grouping support units with military units
++Diplomacy overhaul (though I have no real idea what it looks like, Civ5 diplomacy is just garbage)

-Don't prefer the cartoonish art
-It'll probably be a super buggy mess at launch as is tradition. I'll probably pre-order anyway.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
+1

CiV diplomacy gets a bad rap. It's not great, but "garbage", is a bit strong, once you get used to its patterns, the AI doesn't seem so irrational anymore.

It does need to be vastly improved though, hopefully CiVI does that.

As for the art... it's a bit too bright maybe, and the forests and jungles aren't great, but I like it overall.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:52 am »

And there was much rejoicing.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:54 am »

I find the art good enough, I don't get the bad rap it's getting over the internet...?

CiV's diplo was a bit psychotic, but well diplo has always been kind of bad in Civ (and pretty much all 4X games for that matter), so it's just a different kind of bad.

I don't know how anyone can miss stacks of doom. Sure, managing 20+ units each turn is a nightmare, but stacks of doom were as unfun as it gets. Hopefully the corps manage to combine the best of both worlds. Didn't civ3 use a similar mechanic? Did anyone play that?

Excited about local happiness coming back, but I don't know where you saw that, jonts.

If I understand districts correctly, it's going to be somewhat similar to what they do in Warlock. I don't really understand why they add "pillage" mechanics in a game in which declaring war has so many negative consequences, anything less than complete conquest is considered a loss.

I will definitely not buy it on release though, learned my lesson with CiV.

By the way, anyone played the expansion to Civ:BE?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »
+1

Not entirely on topic, but I used to play a ton of Civ IV. I tried getting into V, but it never really clicked with me.
I can't get over the Civ IV mindset for how stuff works: unit stacking, civics, religions and other stuff they changed.
I just feel like there's something I'm missing. Should I just treat it like an entirely different game?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
+3

Not entirely on topic, but I used to play a ton of Civ IV. I tried getting into V, but it never really clicked with me.
I can't get over the Civ IV mindset for how stuff works: unit stacking, civics, religions and other stuff they changed.
I just feel like there's something I'm missing. Should I just treat it like an entirely different game?

I enjoyed Civ 4 a lot, but felt the release version was missing a bunch of stuff. The Beyond the Sword expansion brought all the stuff I wanted to see, some of which were there in Civ 2, but the AI was changed to always go for stacks of doom and I just got disgusted by that and ended up not playing it anymore.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »

Can someone inform me about stacks of doom? I don't think I played since Civ II (maybe III?). The only stacks of doom I remember was cleaning up pollution.

Sounds like a doomsday clock when the Manhattan Project is discovered?
A man has no signature

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:59 pm »

Can someone inform me about stacks of doom? I don't think I played since Civ II (maybe III?). The only stacks of doom I remember was cleaning up pollution.

They refer to being able to stack military units to form huge armies.
I personally prefer it the new way, but I was introduced to CiV before IV. (and never played any other version)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:43 pm »
+3

Maybe? Are you playing with all the expansions? Civ 5 gets a LOT of good stuff.

I think religion in Civ5 is implemented better than in 4. I wish it was a bit easier to proselitize in 5, but you can't have everything I guess.

Policies rather than civics are completely different from each other. I didn't think Policies were that good, it just feels like a second Tech tree, which is kind of boring.

Trade in 5 is a bit convoluted compared to 4, because the system got a *partial* overhaul with Brave New World. I don't remember it being particularly interesting in 4 though, so no big loss.

1UpT is probably the biggest change 5 introduces, so you just have to get used to it. Wars are WAY more interesting, at the cost of a lot of extra micromanagement. The AI doesn't know how to 1UpT to save its life though, which leads to massive player advantage in warfare.

I don't know, what sort of answer were you looking for? The two games do have a different feel.

IIRC (been a while), you can put as many units in a single tile in Civ4 as you want. Back in Civ2, your whole stack would die if you lose a battle, but in Civ4 only the losing unit dies. So basically you just get a massive stack with some artillery in it and throw it against each other until one of the stacks dies. Many people though it was unfun.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »
+2

CIV and CiV are as different as Civ games get. They appeal to different people (though many, like me, do enjoy both, but then I am and have always been a huge fan of the series).

CiV is more boardgame-y (ie even less of a historical simulation), it's less focused on empire-building (you don't necessarily build that many cities) and overall less mathy. It has a lot more diversity in its civilizations, and a much bigger emphasis on tactics because of 1UPT (one unit per tile), as opposed to CIV where warfare was mostly about industry.

I should say that the two expansions are absolutely worth it, possibly essential, and quite cheap because they're on sale all the time.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »
+1

So I was trying to explain why 5 feels less "grand" / more "boardgamey" than 4, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly. Is it just because of 1UpT and that you are encouraged to have less cities? Or is it something else? I know that in my case, my computer lagged a lot, so I definitely didn't want to get too massive.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »

So I was trying to explain why 5 feels less "grand" / more "boardgamey" than 4, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly. Is it just because of 1UpT and that you are encouraged to have less cities? Or is it something else? I know that in my case, my computer lagged a lot, so I definitely didn't want to get too massive.
Yeah that was something else I noticed. I have a pretty good system now, but Civ V still performs like...really bad. Like I'm just panning around and the terrain is always turning grey and loading in. IDK. I actually liked the aesthetic of IV better I think.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »
+3

I'm playing it on a laptop that's not particularly gaming-oriented (admittedly it's only 2 years old though) and it runs great... are your computers 10 year old or something ?

The graphics not loading would be the only reason to like CIV's aesthetic's better. Well, that and the fact that you can get a globe view in CIV, that's one thing I really mis in CiV (and I'm not super hopeful it'll be back in CiVI).

@pacovf : IT feels grander because of a combination of things, but the two you mentioned are the main ones. Combat is tactical and involves few units as opposed to stacks of doom crashing into each other, and the general strategy involves 3 to 5 cities, as opposed to... many, in CIV. The maps are also simply smaller, in large part because of 1UPT. There's also the fact that CIV has a bit more of a narrative to it thanks to civics : your civ evolves as it changes regimes, whereas the social policies in CiV are all additive, it's a gradual progress as opposed to a more dynamic history. CIV is therefore better at being a simulation game (comparatively I mean, it's obviously still pretty gamey), that's the sense of scale you're missing in CiV.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 05:13:09 am »

Policies rather than civics are completely different from each other. I didn't think Policies were that good, it just feels like a second Tech tree, which is kind of boring.

Yeah, like Teproc added, it made them feel far less dynamic - something you gamed pretty heavily to get ahead; rather than something that would suit your Civ and the current situation.

1UpT is probably the biggest change 5 introduces, so you just have to get used to it. Wars are WAY more interesting, at the cost of a lot of extra micromanagement. The AI doesn't know how to 1UpT to save its life though, which leads to massive player advantage in warfare.
It feels like they made this massive tactical change for the player, and then simply forgot to do the same for the AI (it's pretty bad at defending, but completely inept at attacking).

Regardless, this thread has made me remember that I've still yet to give FreeCiv a spin...

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:56 am »
+3

They didn't forget, it's just very hard to do. Ithink it's absolutely worth it, making combat actually engaging rather than smashy smashy... I know I found war incredibly tedious in IV, love playing Domination in V. But yes, the AI is not very good at it, and you need to go high in difficulty to have some challenge there through sheer numbers.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 08:04:08 am »

I found CIV V ultimately to be very poor. All the one unit per tile stuff really failed when allies put their units into your territory and non-combat units clogged everything up. I hated the archers that fired over seas to hit their targets.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
+2

All the one unit per tile stuff really failed when allies put their units into your territory
I can appreciate what they were trying to do with 1UPT, but not giving us some way to manage this was pretty frustrating.

I hated the archers that fired over seas to hit their targets.
But archers have been firing at planes for years, man.

I just wanted to add that this thread has made me fall off the Civ wagon and I think you're all thorough bastards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 12:27:31 am »

But wagons are good!

Vote: civ

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
+1

Teddy Roosevelt leads America in this iteration.  Also confirmed (but not shown) are Cleopatra for Egypt and Emperor Qin for China.

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/news/2016-05-theodore-roosevelt-leads-the-americans-in-civilization-vi

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:18:52 pm »

Roosevelt is the awesomest of all US presidents, so that's cool.

More info on new features.

Main takeaways:

Builders work differently now, that's interesting. Also, construction videos of wonders, yaaaaay!

Looks like governments are back, the way culture works in Civ 6 might actually be the first time where it's actually interesting!

Science might or might not get gutted. We will see.

I am a bit wary about what we know on how armies work...

Religion is getting revamped again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.