Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 6791 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2863
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

So I've been playing a fair and have been doing quite well on the medium difficulty levels. It feels really weird that apparently I can do whatever and the AI doesn't care. For example, the last game I never built any military after turn 100, except for recruiting tons of great Admirals that I parked in my ports. Two opponents declared war on me early on, but didn't attack me, and after that 2 of them just kept denouncing me and never did anything to attack me. Is there a way to fix this?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3560
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »

AI becomes less likely to declare war as the game goes on since warmonger penalties get very high. Also, I think medium difficulty and below AI's are a bit less inclined to go to war. Higher level AI will go to war more often and more aggressively engage you when they do.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2136
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »

Do warmonger penalties apply even for civilizations you never met? In my first game, I have the potential to wipe every other civilization off my continent without having met any other civilizations outside the continent.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »
+1

I believe your warmonger status starts at 0 once you meet a new civ. So wiping out your continent before caravels means no one knows the extent of your bloodlust.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2863
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:13 am »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.
Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Prepare to be boarded!
  • Respect: +9180
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:11 am »

Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 11:33:51 am »

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.

And having trade routes with them is still a form of interaction, becoming more complicated if the other players are at war against you or even amongst themselves.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3626
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »

You donít actually *need* to meet all other players for a culture victory, though itís true that it helps. But you really only need to build a caravel to meet them all, anyway. Sending trade routes is not a huge problem either, as long as you avoid war, which is easy if you are on your own island.

But yeah, science is the quintessential isolationist victory in Civ.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »

Mapuche have been announced:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
+1

Say hello once again to Shaka of the Zulu:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Prepare to be boarded!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:00 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

Already did.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3626
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »

Shakaís face looks... off? I like the music though.

Not getting the expansion until the price drops. Besides, currently BotW is taking all my free time.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
+1

I finally finished this playthrough, except I ended up winning through a culture victory. I was playing as Greece (Pericles) and I was on my to win the science victory, but then I wanted to know what all those archeological sites around my island were. One thing led to another and I eventually found myself trying to max out tourism with a combination of great works and policies (and a great merchant that made all my campuses give a huge tourism bonus). I had like 8 artifact museums by the end. You even try to make the museum themed in what I guess you can say is poker-like but is much more like what you have in the board game Elysium if anyone has played that.

Tourism is pretty poorly explained in game by the way. I initially thought you just had to boost the raw number of tourists you see at the top of the screen, but that is just the tourism per turn you generate not taking into account modifiers towards specific civilizations. Instead you earn tourists over time at the rate seen at the top.

It also felt like the amount of displeasure in my cities fluctuated a bit from turn to turn. It was weird. Edit: it's more likely that the game is shifting which cities get luxury resources and so this is why the unhappy status of a city seems to go away after a turn.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:13:10 am by markusin »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.