Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: CIVILIZATION VI  (Read 33851 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
Re: CIVILIZATION VI
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »
+1

Looks good. Guess I'm going to drop $100+ on this one too ;D

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:51:16 am »

This "districting" is going to make your opening moves less by rote, for sure, but I can see it being a nightmare once you've got a sizeable empire with a few conquered factions under your belt. It seems heavily focused on local minutiae, and unless governors are not horrible, it could result in a lot of micro-managing.

I did like some of the updates in V, but it felt like a tactical boardgame, rather than, y'know, actually running a civ. So on the other hand, maybe this is going to bring the series back around.

I still miss stacks of doom, though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:27:08 am »
+5

I'm imagining myself in a retirement home at age 80, spending all of my time playing Civ 14.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:17:49 am »
+7

I'm imagining myself in a retirement home at age 80, spending all of my time playing Civ 14.

Technician's log, March 15th, 20XX:

Going to have to decommission DosageBot794-X1.
That's the fifth time this month Mr. Kirian has been found, clearly unmedicated, raving about "that treacherous, bald, Indian bastard and his nuclear holocausts".

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:06 am »

+Districts sounds very interesting
+Bringing back local happiness
+Grouping support units with military units
++Diplomacy overhaul (though I have no real idea what it looks like, Civ5 diplomacy is just garbage)

-Don't prefer the cartoonish art
-It'll probably be a super buggy mess at launch as is tradition. I'll probably pre-order anyway.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
+1

CiV diplomacy gets a bad rap. It's not great, but "garbage", is a bit strong, once you get used to its patterns, the AI doesn't seem so irrational anymore.

It does need to be vastly improved though, hopefully CiVI does that.

As for the art... it's a bit too bright maybe, and the forests and jungles aren't great, but I like it overall.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:52 am »

And there was much rejoicing.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:54 am »

I find the art good enough, I don't get the bad rap it's getting over the internet...?

CiV's diplo was a bit psychotic, but well diplo has always been kind of bad in Civ (and pretty much all 4X games for that matter), so it's just a different kind of bad.

I don't know how anyone can miss stacks of doom. Sure, managing 20+ units each turn is a nightmare, but stacks of doom were as unfun as it gets. Hopefully the corps manage to combine the best of both worlds. Didn't civ3 use a similar mechanic? Did anyone play that?

Excited about local happiness coming back, but I don't know where you saw that, jonts.

If I understand districts correctly, it's going to be somewhat similar to what they do in Warlock. I don't really understand why they add "pillage" mechanics in a game in which declaring war has so many negative consequences, anything less than complete conquest is considered a loss.

I will definitely not buy it on release though, learned my lesson with CiV.

By the way, anyone played the expansion to Civ:BE?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »
+1

Not entirely on topic, but I used to play a ton of Civ IV. I tried getting into V, but it never really clicked with me.
I can't get over the Civ IV mindset for how stuff works: unit stacking, civics, religions and other stuff they changed.
I just feel like there's something I'm missing. Should I just treat it like an entirely different game?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
+3

Not entirely on topic, but I used to play a ton of Civ IV. I tried getting into V, but it never really clicked with me.
I can't get over the Civ IV mindset for how stuff works: unit stacking, civics, religions and other stuff they changed.
I just feel like there's something I'm missing. Should I just treat it like an entirely different game?

I enjoyed Civ 4 a lot, but felt the release version was missing a bunch of stuff. The Beyond the Sword expansion brought all the stuff I wanted to see, some of which were there in Civ 2, but the AI was changed to always go for stacks of doom and I just got disgusted by that and ended up not playing it anymore.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:32 pm »

Can someone inform me about stacks of doom? I don't think I played since Civ II (maybe III?). The only stacks of doom I remember was cleaning up pollution.

Sounds like a doomsday clock when the Manhattan Project is discovered?
A man has no signature

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:59 pm »

Can someone inform me about stacks of doom? I don't think I played since Civ II (maybe III?). The only stacks of doom I remember was cleaning up pollution.

They refer to being able to stack military units to form huge armies.
I personally prefer it the new way, but I was introduced to CiV before IV. (and never played any other version)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:43 pm »
+3

Maybe? Are you playing with all the expansions? Civ 5 gets a LOT of good stuff.

I think religion in Civ5 is implemented better than in 4. I wish it was a bit easier to proselitize in 5, but you can't have everything I guess.

Policies rather than civics are completely different from each other. I didn't think Policies were that good, it just feels like a second Tech tree, which is kind of boring.

Trade in 5 is a bit convoluted compared to 4, because the system got a *partial* overhaul with Brave New World. I don't remember it being particularly interesting in 4 though, so no big loss.

1UpT is probably the biggest change 5 introduces, so you just have to get used to it. Wars are WAY more interesting, at the cost of a lot of extra micromanagement. The AI doesn't know how to 1UpT to save its life though, which leads to massive player advantage in warfare.

I don't know, what sort of answer were you looking for? The two games do have a different feel.

IIRC (been a while), you can put as many units in a single tile in Civ4 as you want. Back in Civ2, your whole stack would die if you lose a battle, but in Civ4 only the losing unit dies. So basically you just get a massive stack with some artillery in it and throw it against each other until one of the stacks dies. Many people though it was unfun.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »
+2

CIV and CiV are as different as Civ games get. They appeal to different people (though many, like me, do enjoy both, but then I am and have always been a huge fan of the series).

CiV is more boardgame-y (ie even less of a historical simulation), it's less focused on empire-building (you don't necessarily build that many cities) and overall less mathy. It has a lot more diversity in its civilizations, and a much bigger emphasis on tactics because of 1UPT (one unit per tile), as opposed to CIV where warfare was mostly about industry.

I should say that the two expansions are absolutely worth it, possibly essential, and quite cheap because they're on sale all the time.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »
+1

So I was trying to explain why 5 feels less "grand" / more "boardgamey" than 4, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly. Is it just because of 1UpT and that you are encouraged to have less cities? Or is it something else? I know that in my case, my computer lagged a lot, so I definitely didn't want to get too massive.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »

So I was trying to explain why 5 feels less "grand" / more "boardgamey" than 4, but I can't pinpoint why, exactly. Is it just because of 1UpT and that you are encouraged to have less cities? Or is it something else? I know that in my case, my computer lagged a lot, so I definitely didn't want to get too massive.
Yeah that was something else I noticed. I have a pretty good system now, but Civ V still performs like...really bad. Like I'm just panning around and the terrain is always turning grey and loading in. IDK. I actually liked the aesthetic of IV better I think.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »
+3

I'm playing it on a laptop that's not particularly gaming-oriented (admittedly it's only 2 years old though) and it runs great... are your computers 10 year old or something ?

The graphics not loading would be the only reason to like CIV's aesthetic's better. Well, that and the fact that you can get a globe view in CIV, that's one thing I really mis in CiV (and I'm not super hopeful it'll be back in CiVI).

@pacovf : IT feels grander because of a combination of things, but the two you mentioned are the main ones. Combat is tactical and involves few units as opposed to stacks of doom crashing into each other, and the general strategy involves 3 to 5 cities, as opposed to... many, in CIV. The maps are also simply smaller, in large part because of 1UPT. There's also the fact that CIV has a bit more of a narrative to it thanks to civics : your civ evolves as it changes regimes, whereas the social policies in CiV are all additive, it's a gradual progress as opposed to a more dynamic history. CIV is therefore better at being a simulation game (comparatively I mean, it's obviously still pretty gamey), that's the sense of scale you're missing in CiV.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 05:13:09 am »

Policies rather than civics are completely different from each other. I didn't think Policies were that good, it just feels like a second Tech tree, which is kind of boring.

Yeah, like Teproc added, it made them feel far less dynamic - something you gamed pretty heavily to get ahead; rather than something that would suit your Civ and the current situation.

1UpT is probably the biggest change 5 introduces, so you just have to get used to it. Wars are WAY more interesting, at the cost of a lot of extra micromanagement. The AI doesn't know how to 1UpT to save its life though, which leads to massive player advantage in warfare.
It feels like they made this massive tactical change for the player, and then simply forgot to do the same for the AI (it's pretty bad at defending, but completely inept at attacking).

Regardless, this thread has made me remember that I've still yet to give FreeCiv a spin...

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:56 am »
+3

They didn't forget, it's just very hard to do. Ithink it's absolutely worth it, making combat actually engaging rather than smashy smashy... I know I found war incredibly tedious in IV, love playing Domination in V. But yes, the AI is not very good at it, and you need to go high in difficulty to have some challenge there through sheer numbers.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 08:04:08 am »

I found CIV V ultimately to be very poor. All the one unit per tile stuff really failed when allies put their units into your territory and non-combat units clogged everything up. I hated the archers that fired over seas to hit their targets.

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
+2

All the one unit per tile stuff really failed when allies put their units into your territory
I can appreciate what they were trying to do with 1UPT, but not giving us some way to manage this was pretty frustrating.

I hated the archers that fired over seas to hit their targets.
But archers have been firing at planes for years, man.

I just wanted to add that this thread has made me fall off the Civ wagon and I think you're all thorough bastards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 12:27:31 am »

But wagons are good!

Vote: civ

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »
+1

Teddy Roosevelt leads America in this iteration.  Also confirmed (but not shown) are Cleopatra for Egypt and Emperor Qin for China.

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/news/2016-05-theodore-roosevelt-leads-the-americans-in-civilization-vi

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 10:18:52 pm »

Roosevelt is the awesomest of all US presidents, so that's cool.

More info on new features.

Main takeaways:

Builders work differently now, that's interesting. Also, construction videos of wonders, yaaaaay!

Looks like governments are back, the way culture works in Civ 6 might actually be the first time where it's actually interesting!

Science might or might not get gutted. We will see.

I am a bit wary about what we know on how armies work...

Religion is getting revamped again!

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 05:14:12 am »

Builders work differently now, that's interesting.
I've never viewed workers as single units, but rather a representation of manpower, your empire's labor force. Giving them "charges" before they're used up and have to be replaced seems way less abstract and like it might make things pretty fiddly...

I am a bit wary about what we know on how armies work...
The conglomeration aspect is a work-around for 1UPT. While combining units will give you less pieces on the board that have to be moved, you're still going to be "specializing" every time you make a customized corps, and that means gambling on the opponent not finding a decent counter.

Quote from: That Thing What pacovf Linked
There are now Just and Unjust wars and as time goes on the diplomatic penalty for unjust wars increases significantly
This has been a thing for quite a while: civs individually and collectively whining about you taking someone else's clay. All the more incentive to axe rush your continent: take out rivals before anybody has a chance to see it and complain about it.

Quote from: That Thing What pacovf Linked
3-minute day-and-night cycle
I know the late-game moves at a glacial pace, but is this necessary in a game spanning thousands of years? EDIT: Okay, it looks like it might be just a graphical thing. Maybe it adds a bit of variety to the scenery or something.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:24:01 am by junkers »

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 09:00:51 pm »
+2

The corps option of limited stacking in CVI, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how that works. Districts are going to be fun to mess around with as well, both because it won't become mandatory for me to put cities at the coast if harbor districts are a thing, and pillaging might actually be more meaningful if districts are more important than plain old improvements.

I personally prefer 1UPT over stacks of doom forever, but a variety of problems makes it a pain in the arse to use melee units in CiV.

1. There's a lot of dense terrain that slows your units down. Map choice can end up generating a lot of choke points all over the map as well.
2. Most melee units in the game only have 2 movement points. Combined with the dense terrain, your melee units could potentially be moving 1 tile per turn. That is really bad.
3. Building roads to increase the throughput of your army starts getting really expensive gold wise, which already sucks since unit maintenance costs scale very strongly.
4. Cities are really hard to kill and have a strong counter-attack.

Contrast this with ranged units, which
a. Can attack from 2 (or more!) spaces away, granting all sorts of initiative and the ability to focus fire more effectively.
b. Can attack without worrying about counter-attacks, and even counter-attack against melee attacks.
c. Generally don't cost that much in hammers or gold over their melee counterparts.
d. Can't capture cities! But oh boy, they're way better at actually fighting cities than melee units are.

I remember a few articles a long time ago about CiV taking some inspiration from Advance Wars (it was one of the reasons they went to 1UPT). But even in AW, units didn't always move at glacial speeds, and there was still a limited stacking option instead of disallowing stacking outright. General map design usually avoided making choke points all over the map, and didn't cover like >50% of the map in mountains and forests.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »

Anyone else been keeping up with this?  They've been releasing First Look videos every week on new civs - the latest was Spain.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 12:49:26 am »

I saw! We finally got a Spanish leader that isn't Isabel! I would have preferred Carlos I, but Felipe II is the other logical choice. I am happy. The Conquistador seems very meh, but the other religious bonuses seem cool in light of the new religious victory.

Districts seem like they are going to change war are nearly as much as 1UpT, so that's also cool.

A bit concerned about spies.

I am starting to get hyped about it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:19 am »

India revealed:

junkers

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 02:21:18 am »
+1

Gandhi revealed.

Nukes inbound, then.

Haven't been keeping up with it, but Japan's Meiji Restoration and Kamikaze abilities look interesting; and Tokimune was an interesting choice for leader.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »
+1

And now Rome:

NDA is supposed to end next week.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:31 pm »

One more hour to preorder, in case anyone is interested.

Personally I will wait until the first sale, not enough time for Civ any time soon... Post your impressions about the game so I can feel all jealous of you people.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:07 am »
+3

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40:56 am »

This game is amazing  ;D ;D ;D played all night on a game with greece
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 12:27:09 am »

Hot damn the music is catchy.  Also I'm really liking the jigsaw puzzle of how to fit everything you want into your city.  Certainly I'm spamming wonders a lot less, thinking more carefully about which ones I *really* want, though that's made a little easier by all the terrain and adjacency requirements.  Also, I'm quite glad there's only one early game wonder.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:35 pm »
+2

I like Districts. It makes each city have more character and not be all samey. The music is great. Food seems harder to come by than in CivV. The only thing I miss so far is a trade route overview to let me sort potential routes by gold, total yield, etc. I like the whole Civics system.

I'm currently playing my first game as Gilgamesh. He gets to start the game with access to War Carts which are better than Chariots, which seems a bit OP. One of his other things is getting native village bonuses from conquered Barbarian camps. I got a Relic out of one of those. I am currently pumping out twice as much science as the next guy and just started my spaceport (in 1830) so I think I will bump the difficulty up a notch for next game. I didn't get to start a religion so I am looking forward to doing that next game too.

Your people are enthused to try Cold War! ;D

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:50 pm »

I managed a Science victory on Emperor difficulty as Tomyris. She has some very powerful military abilities (units heal 50 HP when they kill a unit, and get a second light cavalry-line unit for free whenever you train one). So far I have maxed out both techs and civics around turn 375 each game, so I feel there is some tweaking to be done there. There are a bunch of hidden bonuses you get from techs and civics that don't show up as icons; you have to hover the tech/civic in order to see them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:18:02 pm by singletee »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 06:48:00 pm »
+1

Australia has been added:

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »
+1

I had an... unexpected victory.  Playing Trajan, I had enough tourism from random buildings that I won the cultural victory before I could move on to the science victory I was intended to shoot for.

(I think this was on a slightly easier-than-average game.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:30 pm »
+2

Two new civs to be added (probably tomorrow):

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:38 pm »

I just want to punch that smug smile off of alexander.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 08:14:24 pm »

This civ is getting a lot of "Greece".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »

This civ is getting a lot of "Greece".

It certainly is.  Hopefully some of the other civs get alternate leaders soon.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 10:25:35 pm »

Any wishes for second leaders?

Personally just waiting for the Ottomans instead.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:59 am »

There are going to be at least 2 more DLC packs, and these 2 will be free for Digital Deluxe owners:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/1295192364625991814

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:39 am »
+1

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 10:19:26 am »
+1

Two more!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 10:45:12 am »
+4

An expansion has been announced!  Adds Golden and Dark Ages, and overall seems to add more dynamism to the game:

https://civilization.com/news/entries#announcing-civilization-vi-rise-and-fall

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 01:55:01 pm »
+2

First civ for the expansion revealed, Korea:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:24 am »
+2

The Netherlands have been revealed:

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:37 am »
+4

I'll just give a bit of explanation of the Dutch things, because history is fun!

Queen Wilhelmina: First Queen of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (well, unless you count Emma, but she was a regent for Wilhelmina technically). She is most famous for the Second World War, where she fled to England when the nazi's invaded. From there she became heavily involved with the Dutch resistance. There are more than 200 streets named after her (only counting -straat, not counting -road, -drive etc.).

Grote Rivieren (lit. Big Rivers): The three main rivers of the Netherlands are called 'de Grote Rivieren': the Rhine, Meuse and Waal. Because the Netherlands is situated in a river delta, these rivers have been historically important as trading routes, and remain important until this day, helped by the Port of Rotterdam (the largest port in Europe). The Grote Rivieren also function as a cultural divide, with 'Boven (above) de Rivieren' and 'Onder (below) de Rivieren' as a way of saying 'Northerner' or 'Southerner'

Polder: Around 17% of the country is made up of polders, land that has been reclaimed on water. Most of them used to be lakes (like the Haarlemmermeerpolder, where the main airport Schiphol is located), but the most famous (and biggest) is Flevoland, an entire province which has reclaimed. The Afsluitdijk now is the barrier between the sea and the (new) lake. In the lake, a part is drained to form Flevoland.

De Zeven Provinciën (lit. the Seven Provinces): This is the name of a bunch of ships, but looking at the model in-game, they probably mean this one. This used to be Michiel De Ruyter's main ship when he kicked the English' butts in the Second Anglo-Dutch War (1665-67). The name comes from the fact that the Netherlands used to be a republic of seven united provinces (Holland, Utrecht, Friesland, Groningen, Zeeland, Gelderland and Overijssel), after defeating the Spanish in the Dutch Revolt.

Radio Oranje (lit. Radio Orange): This was the main line of communication between the London government-in-exile and the Dutch Resistance during the Second World War. Queen Wilhelmina gave famous speeches on this radio channel, that could only be listened to via illegal radio's (the nazi's had confiscated all radio's at this point). The Queen was first seen as a coward for fleeing to London, but with her speeches, she became very popular once more. The name Orange comes from the French town of Orange. William of Nassau inherited this Principality, becoming William of Orange-Nassau (van Oranje-Nassau, also known as William the Silent). This lead to the royal family (yes, during the republic we had a (kind-of) royal house still. It was very confusing) becoming known as 'the Oranjes'. This is also why Dutch athletes wear orange during their matches.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2017, 10:57:07 am »
+2

The Mongol Horde returns:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »
+1

India has a second leader now:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:43 pm »
+2

The Cree have been announced:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2018, 10:05:39 am »
+2

Georgia (the country, not the state) has been announced:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
+1

If you haven’t bought the base game yet, you can find it for 12$, with 2 DLCs, in this month’s Humble Monthly. You will also get a few extra mystery games at the end of the month, but even just Civ6 alone is worth more than that. Note that it’s a subscription system, so make sure to cancel the subscription right after you pay for this month, if you don’t want to pay for the following ones.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?hmb_source=humble_monthly&hmb_medium=banner

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »

If you haven’t bought the base game yet, you can find it for 12$, with 2 DLCs, in this month’s Humble Monthly. You will also get a few extra mystery games at the end of the month, but even just Civ6 alone is worth more than that. Note that it’s a subscription system, so make sure to cancel the subscription right after you pay for this month, if you don’t want to pay for the following ones.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly?hmb_source=humble_monthly&hmb_medium=banner

How are the games delivered? Is it downloadable somehow, or do they mail copies?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2018, 04:14:56 pm »

Downloadable via Steam. For some games, there's also a DRM-free version you can download from the Humble website, but I don't think Civ6 is one of them.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2018, 05:52:15 pm »
+1

Downloadable via Steam. For some games, there's also a DRM-free version you can download from the Humble website, but I don't think Civ6 is one of them.

Exactly what I was looking for then. What is with these high profile games being so cheap when on sale? I got Doom 4 for like $20 on steam sometime last year.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »
+2

So, thanks to the heads up from pacovf, I bought Civ 6 VI over the weekend and tried it out a bit.

I was greeted with a tutorial mode that gives me the freedom to try conquering the one other civilization in the game, but neglects to provide a way to save progress during the tutorial. That was annoying both because I had to leave and because I messed up and didn't realise some of the military units cost so much upkeep.

It's also a bit of a shame that the tutorial didn't introduce the city states. I can't imagine how lost I would be if I hadn't already played previous Civ games. There is the new Faith resource I have to figure out as well as the city states. Oh, and there is now a separate Civics tree with way more bonuses to choose from than I know what to do with.

I do kind of like the limited charges on the builders. I just realised now that it blends with the new districts element that limits your available improvement space anyway. It all results in less tedium coming about from constantly ordering workers/builders to do stuff around your cities.

The game has me excited. I only have access to the game on the computer I typically can only use on weekends.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2018, 08:20:04 am »
+1

I think the UI and the lack of explanation of some mechanics are the main gripes people have with the game. If you want to figure stuff out without trial and error, civfanatics forums (or Google/reddit) are your best bet.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:37 am »

I think the UI and the lack of explanation of some mechanics are the main gripes people have with the game. If you want to figure stuff out without trial and error, civfanatics forums (or Google/reddit) are your best bet.

The UI is pretty weird. I still don't know how to check what tiles my city has its citizens working on, or if such a mechanic exists at all and if instead all tiles in my city border are worked.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:58 am »

When you click on a city, there’s a small UI with its name and what it’s building. Right on top of that there’s a button to get extra details about the city, one to buy tiles, one to check what tiles citizens are working, and two others to buy units/buildings with gold/faith, IIRC.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:49 am »

When you click on a city, there’s a small UI with its name and what it’s building. Right on top of that there’s a button to get extra details about the city, one to buy tiles, one to check what tiles citizens are working, and two others to buy units/buildings with gold/faith, IIRC.

I'll have to check this in a real game. The tutorial blocks off certain options until it decides it's okay for you to learn about them.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 07:47:40 am »
+4

So I got this without playing any CIV game before, and the tutorial is aweful. It starts of with telling me precisely where to click, mentioning things but not realyl explaining:
"The number to the left is your city's population" - What number? The 1? How can my city only have 1 guy???
"Each hex needs to be worked on by someone in order to produce" - So shoudn't i tell my people where to work?
"Kill that Barbarian" - Right click, it's killed, but I still have no clue how combat works.
"This is the civics tree, it works just like the tech tree" - You haven't even shown me the tech tree yet...
Then it tells me to win a Domination victory, still not explaining how fighting actually works, and even after having the enemy capital at 0 hp for 20 turns, the game doesn't end...

I don't really want to look at online guides, because I only want to know the rules, but want to figure out the strategy myself
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:50:03 am by Watno »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 08:54:46 am »

You have to move a melee unit, like a Warrior, into the same tile as the enemy city and capture it.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 01:15:34 pm »
+2

Civ has a steep learning curve and given past civ tutorials I'm not surprised 6's is terrible.

City population tells you how many hexes can be worked by the city. If you open the city screen you can see each tile produces some resources like food or gold or whatnot. Click a tile to work it, or you can have the city automatically pick tiles to work. Each population point consumes some amount of food. Any food you produce over this amount goes into a bucket. When that bucket fills, you city increases in population and you can work an extra tile, getting more resources, but consuming more food.

The gear resource is production. Your city can also build one thing at a time like a unit or building. Each thing takes a certain amount of gears to complete. The more gears you produce per turn the quicker you finish whatever you are making.

Units and buildings have a gold maintenance cost. You get gold lots of ways but it is another resource you can see in tiles. If you don't produce enough gold you slowly drain your coffee and units will go away until you're in the black. Also gold can be used to directly purchase buildings and units instantly in your cities.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:19:55 pm by jonts26 »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »

Civ has a steep learning curve and given past civ tutorials I'm not surprised 6's is terrible.

City population tells you how many hexes can be worked by the city. If you open the city screen you can see each tile produces some resources like food or gold or whatnot. Click a tile to work it, or you can have the city automatically pick tiles to work. Each population point consumes some amount of food. Any food you produce over this amount goes into a bucket. When that bucket fills, you city increases in population and you can work an extra tile, getting more resources, but consuming more food.

The gear resource is production. Your city can also build one thing at a time like a unit or building. Each thing takes a certain amount of gears to complete. The more gears you produce per turn the quicker you finish whatever you are making.

Units and buildings have a gold maintenance cost. You get gold lots of ways but it is another resource you can see in tiles. If you don't produce enough gold you slowly drain your coffee and units will go away until you're in the black. Also gold can be used to directly purchase buildings and units instantly in your cities.

The thing I've noticed with the Civilization series is that much of its iterative growth over each installment has been additive. The way cities work tiles, grow, and produce units/buildings has been roughly the same since the earliest Civilization games. The same is true for elements like income flow and technology advancement. City discontent, forms of government, diplomacy, and espionage are gameplay elements that have been around since Civilization II (though I don't believe a tutorial mode was one of those things). From there they have steadily added additional complexities like culture, great people, religion, civics, more victory conditions, and now in Civilization VI faith and city states.

Very little has been taken out between games I feel. The result is that playing some of the later Civilization games feel daunting if you haven't played the older games. The tutorial for Civilization VI is bad because it seems to strongly assume you've played older Civ games (even when the advisor option is set to "Never played a Civilization game before") and then forces you out of selecting options other than the one it expects you to choose for a very long time, hindering your ability to explore stuff. From what I recall, it has the style of saying "this action will result in this" without explaining the mechanism through which the result is achieved. Plus, can't save your game in the tutorial.

I guess you have to check out the "Civilopedia" to thoroughly learn about a bunch of stuff, including basic stuff like combat mechanics. As you can imagine, the Civilopedia is massive.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:31:15 pm by markusin »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:17 pm »

I disagree with that notion. Vanilla Civ 5 took away a bunch of stuff from the complete version of Civ 4 in an effort to streamline the series, then reinvented some concepts through expansions. Vanilla Civ 6 is an outlier in the series, because it reuses most concepts from Civ 5, and adds a few new ones, but a lot of concepts have been dropped throughout the series.

City discontent wasn't a thing in Civ 5, and takes such a different form in Civ 6 I don't know if it qualifies. Forms of governments weren't a thing in Civ 5, and they look very, very different in 6 from previous games. Espionage looks different in pretty much every game. Corporations were only in Civ4. Health was in 4 but not in 5 (housing works similarly to health in 6). City flipping through culture was in 4 but not in 5 (though they are adding something similar in 6:R&F). Units consuming resources were a thing in 5, but not in 6 anymore. Vassals and colonies were only a thing in 4. Corps and armies were a thing in 3, but did not come back until 6, in a different form. The council of nations / UN is not a thing in 6 (though I imagine it will get added in an expansion). And of course, Civ:BE introduced a bunch of stuff that hasn't been reused for 6.

But ok, I might be biased. I started with Civ2 when I was a kid.

I found the civilopedia in 6 to be kinda bad for details, but maybe it's better for explaining concepts?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »

I disagree with that notion. Vanilla Civ 5 took away a bunch of stuff from the complete version of Civ 4 in an effort to streamline the series, then reinvented some concepts through expansions. Vanilla Civ 6 is an outlier in the series, because it reuses most concepts from Civ 5, and adds a few new ones, but a lot of concepts have been dropped throughout the series.

City discontent wasn't a thing in Civ 5, and takes such a different form in Civ 6 I don't know if it qualifies. Forms of governments weren't a thing in Civ 5, and they look very, very different in 6 from previous games. Espionage looks different in pretty much every game. Corporations were only in Civ4. Health was in 4 but not in 5 (housing works similarly to health in 6). City flipping through culture was in 4 but not in 5 (though they are adding something similar in 6:R&F). Units consuming resources were a thing in 5, but not in 6 anymore. Vassals and colonies were only a thing in 4. Corps and armies were a thing in 3, but did not come back until 6, in a different form. The council of nations / UN is not a thing in 6 (though I imagine it will get added in an expansion). And of course, Civ:BE introduced a bunch of stuff that hasn't been reused for 6.

But ok, I might be biased. I started with Civ2 when I was a kid.

I found the civilopedia in 6 to be kinda bad for details, but maybe it's better for explaining concepts?

Oh wow I didn't realise Civ 5 had made all those changes, and I thought Civ 5 was mostly just the one that introduced non-stacking unit mechanics. I played Civ 2 through 4 prior to playing Civ 6. I did feel like base Civ 4 felt like it was missing a few things, but some of that missing stuff got added in expansions (espionage for one, and colonies as well). I did play Civilization: Beyond Earth, but I figured seeing it spin off from earlier entries was to be expected.

It just feels like Civ 6 feels very familiar coming off of Civ 4. I also didn't get far enough to realise the UN is not a thing in Civ 6. I honestly don't remember Civ 3 that much, bit Civ 2 is one my brother played constantly and so is the classic entry for us.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:42 am »

I'm still waiting for Civ 6 to reintroduce Corporations.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2018, 10:06:34 am »

Scotland has been revealed:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:37 am »

...golf course huh.

Also, no bonuses related to the new mechanics. Kinda weird.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
+1

It turns out my 5+ year old computer can run Civilization VI mostly fine. Load times to start/load games are longer than on my more up-to-date computer, but the game itself is perfectly playable.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

So I've been playing a fair and have been doing quite well on the medium difficulty levels. It feels really weird that apparently I can do whatever and the AI doesn't care. For example, the last game I never built any military after turn 100, except for recruiting tons of great Admirals that I parked in my ports. Two opponents declared war on me early on, but didn't attack me, and after that 2 of them just kept denouncing me and never did anything to attack me. Is there a way to fix this?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:21 pm »

AI becomes less likely to declare war as the game goes on since warmonger penalties get very high. Also, I think medium difficulty and below AI's are a bit less inclined to go to war. Higher level AI will go to war more often and more aggressively engage you when they do.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »

Do warmonger penalties apply even for civilizations you never met? In my first game, I have the potential to wipe every other civilization off my continent without having met any other civilizations outside the continent.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »
+2

I believe your warmonger status starts at 0 once you meet a new civ. So wiping out your continent before caravels means no one knows the extent of your bloodlust.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 06:36:22 pm »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:13 am »

It does seem like Civ 6 (and maybe Civ 5) makes it less appealing to just isolate yourself in one big island. I remember in Civ 4 how the culture victory just needed you to get a certain allotted number of Culture points. In Civ 6, the Culture victory requires you get lots of tourists from every remaining civilization, which seems to be influenced by interactions with neighbours. Similarly, the Religious victory expects you to spread your religion to every other civilization, and not just have the biggest number of followers.

I suppose having a huge empire lets you win the Science victory, but I don't consider that the most exotic kind of victory.
Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:11 am »

Tourism only requires having met the opponent and is booseted by having a Trade Route. Proximity doesn't matter as far as I understand

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2018, 11:33:51 am »

But you still need to have at least met them, which you won't if you just sit on your bottom and fiddle with yourself.

And having trade routes with them is still a form of interaction, becoming more complicated if the other players are at war against you or even amongst themselves.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »

You don’t actually *need* to meet all other players for a culture victory, though it’s true that it helps. But you really only need to build a caravel to meet them all, anyway. Sending trade routes is not a huge problem either, as long as you avoid war, which is easy if you are on your own island.

But yeah, science is the quintessential isolationist victory in Civ.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »

Mapuche have been announced:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:25 pm »
+1

Say hello once again to Shaka of the Zulu:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:00 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »

So Rise & Fall drops in a little less than 8 hours - anybody getting it?

Already did.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »

Shaka’s face looks... off? I like the music though.

Not getting the expansion until the price drops. Besides, currently BotW is taking all my free time.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:59 am »
+1

I finally finished this playthrough, except I ended up winning through a culture victory. I was playing as Greece (Pericles) and I was on my to win the science victory, but then I wanted to know what all those archeological sites around my island were. One thing led to another and I eventually found myself trying to max out tourism with a combination of great works and policies (and a great merchant that made all my campuses give a huge tourism bonus). I had like 8 artifact museums by the end. You even try to make the museum themed in what I guess you can say is poker-like but is much more like what you have in the board game Elysium if anyone has played that.

Tourism is pretty poorly explained in game by the way. I initially thought you just had to boost the raw number of tourists you see at the top of the screen, but that is just the tourism per turn you generate not taking into account modifiers towards specific civilizations. Instead you earn tourists over time at the rate seen at the top.

It also felt like the amount of displeasure in my cities fluctuated a bit from turn to turn. It was weird. Edit: it's more likely that the game is shifting which cities get luxury resources and so this is why the unhappy status of a city seems to go away after a turn.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:13:10 am by markusin »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2018, 03:36:50 pm »
+1

Civ IV is 75% off on Humble Bundle right now, only $7.50 for the complete version. I just picked up a copy and am looking forward to playing it, I've been told it's the best of the series.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2018, 05:57:43 pm »
+1

Civ IV is 75% off on Humble Bundle right now, only $7.50 for the complete version. I just picked up a copy and am looking forward to playing it, I've been told it's the best of the series.

You might need a guide to play it, but it’s good. Civfanatics.com has a lot of resources for it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2018, 08:32:01 pm »
+1

You might need a guide to play it, but it’s good. Civfanatics.com has a lot of resources for it.

I tried replaying Civ IV, Beyond the Sword recently. It felt weird, because you have so many more "micro-decisions" to make. Lots of tech, units, and, land improvements are needed as each individual instance of them is low impact. I remember that expansion having the AI always go for "stacks of doom", but it seems they play in a much more interesting way when on the defensive. They spread out their units to defend several cities at once and are willing to send out units to poke at gaps in your army (there is a Rock-Paper-Scissors element to the combat). It was actually kind of enjoyable. Oh and the music is really cool. Who can forget this classic: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=en71FxPnv2o

I would say give it a go, but I think I prefer Civ VI to it. Civ VI just felt like it doesn't have a bunch of the more tedious elements of older Civ games.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2018, 10:23:47 am »

I'll probably try to find some tutorial to help when I boot it up over the weekend. I've already played Civ III though, is IV that different?

I tried replaying Civ IV, Beyond the Sword recently. It felt weird, because you have so many more "micro-decisions" to make. Lots of tech, units, and, land improvements are needed as each individual instance of them is low impact. I remember that expansion having the AI always go for "stacks of doom", but it seems they play in a much more interesting way when on the defensive. They spread out their units to defend several cities at once and are willing to send out units to poke at gaps in your army (there is a Rock-Paper-Scissors element to the combat). It was actually kind of enjoyable. Oh and the music is really cool. Who can forget this classic: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=en71FxPnv2o

I would say give it a go, but I think I prefer Civ VI to it. Civ VI just felt like it doesn't have a bunch of the more tedious elements of older Civ games.

I've usually heard that IV was the best. Next time there's a good sale I'll probably pick up VI or V.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2018, 10:44:12 am »
+1

I'll probably try to find some tutorial to help when I boot it up over the weekend. I've already played Civ III though, is IV that different?
Civ 4 is essentially something that took the innovations that Civ 3 brought in and did them right. There's not much in the way of radically new mechanics except for religion, but there's quite a lot that has changed in small ways.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2018, 10:56:58 am »
+1

Civ IV is usually considered the best by people that prefer immersion / an experience that feels closer to a civ simulation. V and VI have the better mechanics overall, but it’s a bit more game-y. The AI doesn’t quite know what to do with 1UpT either, but the combat is still more enjoyable than in IV.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2018, 10:39:47 pm »
+1

I would be curious to hear what you think of CIV, theta :)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2018, 10:11:22 am »
+2

I would be curious to hear what you think of CIV, theta :)

Yeah! Disclaimer: I'm quite the noob at Civ.

So it was a bit of a pain to get it working, the game kept on freezing when trying to skip the intro and eventually crashed my whole PC at least twice. Also, Fullscreen mode was glitchy when minimizing to do other things. Fortunately, I figured out that you just needed to wait 5 seconds and not click anything and it would pop back up easily. And I disabled the intro movie so in the end, I got it running really smoothly.

The first game I played as Greece (IIRC) on Cheiftan difficulty. As I expected, it was a pretty breezy game and by 1950 or so I had a pretty hardcore military. I could have won by domination or just have played the game out, but I ended up winning by Space Race.

Next, I tried a game on Warlord as I-forget-who. I expected it to be about as easy, but I ended up getting smashed around 1400 because I hadn't invested in the military. I guess the other civs will automatically try to attack you if you're weak enough? I tried again as England but only held off slightly better before caving to attacks by multiple civs on multiple fronts.

By this point, I was getting a little frustrated and tuned the difficulty back to Cheiftan. It was a little wimpy, but I don't particularly enjoy getting my butt kicked, and I wanted to spend some more time just familiarizing myself with the game. I couldn't finish my playthrough, but again it was pretty breezy.

As for the game itself, it's much better than Civ III and definitely less "clunky" as you said. A couple things stood out as obvious improvements; the government types were better explained, movement and combat were nicer, and recommended buildings and techs made the first game easier. I'm still getting used to the new things though, Religion and Espionage were kinda ignored the first game and I still don't fully understand how they work. And the new Diplomacy/Government/Military/X advisors are a little harder to use in some cases. Navigating diplomacy actually feels like a downgrade. When you exit it takes you back to the map instead of the diplomacy chart, making me need to f4 spam if I want to see if any of the civs will declare war on somebody. In addition, there's no way to view diplomacy when presented with a deal, so I don't have the choice of figuring out what my relations to Alexander are before I join Isabella in combat against him.

The game's super fun, and I hope once I grasp the intricacies I can start getting into the strategy and playing at higher difficulties.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
+1

Spent some time reading up on the guide and manual, and won my first game at Warlord difficulty as Ethiopia through Diplomatic Victory with the Apostolic Palace.

EDIT: Warlord difficulty, not Noble.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:04:04 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:57 am »
+1

I'm getting the hang of Warlord difficulty, and after a breezy Culture victory as China I'm ready to move up to warlord I think. I doubt I'll ever get up to Deity because I don't enjoy the stress and strategy of really high levels. All the reviews I heard were right, this game is really fun and addicting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
+1

New expansion announced!

And new civ!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:08 pm »

I saw! It’s interesting that they are adding natural disasters to the civ game with the most expensive workers. That’s... a bold decision, but I am hopeful.

The new mechanics of this expansion are a bit unclear too. There are natural disasters, climate change, mild terraforming (canals, tunnels), new energy sources, the return of the UN and diplomatic victory, and an expanded future tech era?

Right now I don’t have enough free time to get back into civ, hopefully when we get the complete edition with a discount!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 11:51:59 am »
+1

I recently bought Civ 6 on the Switch. Been really enjoying it so far.

I've played two games so far, started my first with the quick start options. I got Brazil, on my own landmass so lots of space to explore and expand. Was a nice introduction to the game, I filled my island, found France to my east, befriended them, found Arabia and Japan to my west, didn't get along so well with them. Went for a culture victory and won fairly easily.

Second game I put on Marathon length, 12 players, Pangaea style map and most other settings random. Was good fun. This time I got Aztecs and decided to start aggressive, wiped my neighbour out fairly quickly and expanded a ton. Ended up with a civ that was more wide than tall (think I had about 30 cities by the end of the game) and went for a conquest victory. I wiped out a few more players along the way, had like -300+ relationships with everyone except Alexander due to warmongering, about a +15 attack bonus from Luxury Resources along with being in the Information Era in the 16th century, and basically just went to town on everyone else.

Now on my third game, I've picked the world map real start locations setting, seemed like a fun gimmick. I put this one on quick, but also upped the difficulty to 5 (was on the default 4 for the first two, and that's clearly pretty easy even to start on). Rolled France, but can definitely see the difference in difficulty straight away. Real start locations world map is a bit of a silly gimmick - if you get several European civs, many will be so hard pressed for space that they just die immediately. I wiped out Germany by capturing their starting settler on turn ~5 (lol). I want to achieve a Religious victory even though France is more geared for Culture, just because I feel like it. I've taken over most of Western Europe, met all but one other player in the local area (Germany, Poland, Egypt, Russia, Persia, whichever Tomyris is) and with space running out, decided to head across the ocean to America. It looks like the final player is probably Brazil but I haven't met them just yet, but I see a city state here influenced by an unknown player and nobody else in North America.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2018, 08:49:12 am »
+1

Maori announced!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2018, 11:48:18 am »
+1

BLAME CANADA

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2018, 02:12:30 am »
+1

Got to say I'm not overly impressed with the way the game handles higher difficulty. I started a game on Emperor (difficulty 6) since King (5) was managable. The enemy gets lots of bonuses, but a lot of them are very front loaded - on Emperor the enemies start with 2 settlers and 3 warriors, two technologies, two civics, they get a +40% production and gold income boost, +16% faith/culture/science, +2 in combat against you (including Barbarians) and probably a few other minor things.

That would be fine if you weren't likely to have any early battles or anything - they start more quickly but you can catch up and stuff - but what happened to me was I ran into Cleopatra early, who denounced me because I had a weak military (no, really, when you start with 3 times as much as me and I've barely had time to build a single thing?) and low production (wow, you have 2.8x the production as me at the start of the game, I'm so surprised it's higher after 20 turns). Then I ran into Peter, same thing for science/culture. And Gilgamesh denounced me after one turn for no reason whatsoever, and also tells me he hates me for low production. So everyone around me hated me right from the start, and Cleopatra invaded pretty early as well. Lovely.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2018, 09:56:49 am »

Yeah, the way Civ games handle difficulty is one of the main weak points of the series, unfortunately. Note that there are other ways to adjust difficulty, like the kind of map you play in. King-Pangea is closer to Emperor-Small Islands, for example, than both difficulties in Continents. The AI is really bad at water warfare. Or you could choose rival Civs that are more peaceful for your first games at the new difficulty level.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 05:59:45 pm »
+1

Yeah, the way Civ games handle difficulty is one of the main weak points of the series, unfortunately. Note that there are other ways to adjust difficulty, like the kind of map you play in. King-Pangea is closer to Emperor-Small Islands, for example, than both difficulties in Continents. The AI is really bad at water warfare. Or you could choose rival Civs that are more peaceful for your first games at the new difficulty level.

That makes a lot of sense. I've been leaving the AI on random in general, and the map I was playing that game on was fractal, but ended up being basically Pangaea - it was one massive island with a few small inland seas. I was surrounded by Russia (east, their only neighbour off of a peninsula), Alexander (Southeast, though a city state acted as a buffer for long enough that he never bothered me), Gilgamesh (Southwest, eventually I befriended him but before that he hated me), Cleopatra (West, she declared war on me twice). North of me was the ocean.

I eventually decided I could maybe make up a bit of my deficit by using spies to steal tech boosts and great works - and then proceeded to apparently recruit the most incompetent spies money can buy. Collectively my spies failed their first 5 missions, all at 74% success rates (two got captured, three escaped without anything happing) putting me behind maybe 75 turns or so on actually levelling my spies up and doing useful things with them. That sucked. But eventually my spies pulled through, I caught up on tech/civics, starting pushing tourism hard, stealing great works from Russia and England and disrupting Rocketry on Alexander and Gilgamesh (my two allies, lol) who had completed 2 steps of a science victory at this point, and was actually in a position where, if those two weren't on the verge of science victory, I might have won. But eventually Gilgamesh repaired his spaceports and finished his final project. So I was surprised how close I got it in the end.

Amusingly, after this I decided to play a small islands game on King, as something to be a little more relaxing, and got a totally awful start. Persia about 8 tiles south of me, Egypt about the same to my west, no city states anywhere near. And to make it worse I had a really bad starting location - no river, not a whole lot of bonus resources, and by the time I got my second settler out, Persia had already settled the only good location near me- then he decided to declare a surprise war, with something like 5 warriors and 2 archers while I had 3 warriors and a slinger.

I restarted at that point. Same settings next game though I forgot to adjust the difficulty up, and ended up with a hilariously easier start. On my own decent sized island, while every other civ was on this massive S bend shaped island. And much nicer civs as well. At one point, I was declared friends with everyone. Just recently Poland and Persia decided to declare a joint surprise war on me, which seemed like a bizarre move given my army was like two tech levels ahead of them and they had lots of small settlements they couldn't defend. I'm now 5 cities bigger than I was 10 turns ago and getting a ton of stuff from Poland for their trouble. Persia will come soon after, once I take over their capital and use it for a bit.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2018, 10:04:54 am »

Announcing the Inca!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 10:39:36 am »
+1

After a break for the holidays, Mali have been announced:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:08 am »
+1

I have played some more and gotten better at the game. I wish I'd kept a save on turn 1 from my game as Rome on Emperor (difficulty 6) as I kinda want to give it another go. But alas, it's gone now. I have won a game on Emperor as England, cultural victory. And more recently I won one on Immortal (difficulty 7) as Scythia, science victory - though considering I conquered a lot of territory it may have been quicker to win conquest.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:26 am »

Sweden announced:

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
+1

Next up: Ottomans!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2019, 10:16:23 am »
+1

Phoenicia announced:

Also, a short video describing the new features of the expansion:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
+1

Today seems to have been the day that those with preview copies of the expansion can start posting videos. Several LPs have just started today - I've seen PotatoMcWhiskey is doing a Maori playthrough, Quill18 is doing a Canada playthrough and several others.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 11:35:03 am »
+1

Final leader reveal, Eleanor of Aquitaine:

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2019, 02:01:50 pm »
+1

I ended up getting Civ 6 on PC and also got Gathering Storm. It's very fun. Unfortunately my first game ended just as I was about to hit the Future Era, which is a shame but not super unexpected.

I still feel like the way AI is handled, along with the relative lack of good catch up mechanics, is the game's biggest weakness. Once you get to a point where you're decently strong compared to the AI, that's it, you've won. The remaining ~100 turns are just you fulfilling the victory condition.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2019, 01:15:27 am »

I find that the longevity of a Civ game mostly depends on your willingness to roleplay your civ and/or set side goals. Because otherwise it’s indeed very rare to not have a game decided 100 turns before the end.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
+2

So I splurged yesterday and got the base game since it was on sale on Humble Bundle, and I have to say, it's a lot more fun than I expected. After 100+ hours with Civ III & IV, Civ VI felt like a breath of fresh air. It's a lot more streamlined and has noticeable QoL improvements. I've heard people say that it feels a lot more "game-y" than the previous versions, and for me, that's a good thing. Civ IV, in particular, felt like it had so much going on (starting with BtS didn't help though to be fair) and it was hard to figure things out and actually improve. A few notable favourite additions in Civ VI are:
  • Military combat is a thousand times more fun, now that stacks of death are gone and ranged attacks are in. The focus on powerful singe units (love armies & corps) vs. droves of smaller ones means the same amount of strategy with less micromanaging. It's worth noting though that the AI doesn't seem as good at combat as before.
  • The culture tree and policies is a really fun mechanic! I also like how city growth has changed, and the new culture victory is so much better than before with a focus on overall growth, not just three tall cities.
  • Districts make city building feel more organised, I especially like how much it helps and encourages you in city specification. Now it is a bit of a headache to plan all your districts out for adjacency and space and whatnot, but I'm still happy with it.
Overall a great purchase. I'll certainly pick up an expansion or two when I get bored of the base game.

EDIT: How could I forget the "make this deal more acceptable". It's such a good feature.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:24:49 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2019, 04:50:43 pm »

Speaking of Civ 6, the new update came out yesterday. Mostly affects Gathering Storm, but some stuff is added to base game. On the one hand it's surprising some of these things took as long to be added as they did (notifications not covering the screen at the start of each turn, hovering over unit portraits to see any special abilities the unit has) but many others are really nice additions that make the game more fun. The improvements to Lumber Mills are very nice, I'm still in my first game with them but suddenly I'm not wanting to chop every forest in my empire? Shame I have almost no Rainforest to test out the Rainforest Lumber Mills, but well I know what they're gonna do so... yeah.

• The culture tree and policies is a really fun mechanic! I also like how city growth has changed, and the new culture victory is so much better than before with a focus on overall growth, not just three tall cities.
  • Districts make city building feel more organised, I especially like how much it helps and encourages you in city specification. Now it is a bit of a headache to plan all your districts out for adjacency and space and whatnot, but I'm still happy with it.

It's not just the culture victory that encourages growth now. Civ 6's mechanics in general make settling as many cities as possible usually the best move. Which is more fun than just having 2-4 really good cities, I agree, but it would be nice for the game to give a bit more incentive to building tall cities. Right now you can pretty happily let most cities stagnate at like 10 pop and be perfectly content. That gets you four districts and 10 good tiles worked, that's usually all you need for a city to be about as productive as it can be. But districts in general are great. I do wonder if and how they're gonna change them in Civ 7. Right now I feel like the district system is one of the biggest things pushing you to want more cities, but what if you could effectively get two Campuses in one city? Or something very similar at least. That would give an incentive to build taller.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »
+1

I've gotten a not-too-shabby 47 hours in over this past week. I've beaten the game on emperor difficulty twice, but have lost on immortal. It certainly drags in parts: the last 20-40 turns are usually just doing busywork while you wait for things to complete. So far my working strategy is early warmongering to expand your empire, then spam out Campuses and rush The Enlightenment for Rationalism. Once I have that in place I will start to make 300-400 science per turn, more than enough to catch up to and outpace the AIs. Two powerful industrial cities will help with spaceports and projects. This strategy would have worked on my immortal game, but I wasted crucial turns and production trying to take out France right as they got their unique unit out. If I had just switched into Science then I maybe could have won. Ah well, next turn.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49:01 pm »
+1

Battle Royale in Civ 6 haha why?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2019, 06:55:47 pm »

I have no idea what I just watched.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 20 queries.