Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Empires Previews #2: Split Piles  (Read 78203 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Previews #2: Split Piles
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2016, 01:35:21 pm »
+3

I was playing a game with some proxy cards and came upon an interesting question. Someone had a hand of Crown, Gold, and Fortune. They Crowned Gold and then played Fortune. Crown doubled their money, does that mean Fortune doesn't trigger?

I'm 99% sure the answer to this is "Fortune does trigger" and the ability refers to cards that specifically double your current number of coins. Is this true?

Yes, Fortune triggers.
My question is, can you Crown Fortune? My assumption is no, because Fortune only allows you to double your coin once. Is that correct?

You can Crown Fortune, but you don't get more money than just playing Fortune normally.

Hey, at least you get another Buy this way! That sometimes matters!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

MattTV

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »
+1

I think the split piles are my favorite of all the previews. The art could be a little better but I like the interaction between the cards.  I know I'll be digging for that fortune every game it's up. I mean you can't just ignore a 16 dollar treasure you don't even have to pay full amount for up front. That's one thing I've noticed with a lot of the cards shown is that there's more of a temptation to empty out the piles than racing to empty the province/colony piles. It motivates the alternative 3-pile ending which is always a plus; makes it different. Can't wait to see the rest :).

MattTV

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2016, 08:02:54 pm »

BTW lets say i played 3 highways and used altar to gain a fortune (since it has a normal price as well) would I accumulate the debt of 8 dollars just from gaining that fortune or would I get it for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »
+7

You can't gain it this way since debt is also in the cost. It's like cards that have potion in the cost.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2016, 10:41:48 pm »
+6

If you play Hero, and gain a Fortune, you do not gain the debt. It is only gained when buying

MattTV

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2016, 11:38:57 pm »

You can't gain it this way since debt is also in the cost. It's like cards that have potion in the cost.
If you play Hero, and gain a Fortune, you do not gain the debt. It is only gained when buying
lol I'm trying to discern which one of you guys are right but I would guess that you can still gain a fortune through altar if it still has a normal price with the debt price as well. I mean i know you can't gain a card like royal blacksmith since it just debt but I don't know if the same applies to a mixed price card.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2016, 11:50:21 pm »
+5

lol I'm trying to discern which one of you guys are right but I would guess that you can still gain a fortune through altar if it still has a normal price with the debt price as well. I mean i know you can't gain a card like royal blacksmith since it just debt but I don't know if the same applies to a mixed price card.

They're both right. You can't gain a Fortune with Altar just like you can't gain a Familiar with Altar. You can gain a Fortune with Hero just like you can gain a Phil Stone with Hero. You don't get debt by gaining the Fortune with Hero.

MattTV

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:06 am »
+2

They're both right. You can't gain a Fortune with Altar just like you can't gain a Familiar with Altar. You can gain a Fortune with Hero just like you can gain a Phil Stone with Hero. You don't get debt by gaining the Fortune with Hero.
Ohh I see so hero can gain it cause price doesn't matter but when price does come up everything else fails to gain it. alright that answers my question. thanks J Reggie.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2016, 08:51:42 pm »
+2

Ohh I see so hero can gain it cause price doesn't matter but when price does come up everything else fails to gain it. alright that answers my question. thanks J Reggie.

Royal Blacksmith's cost is $0+8D, so with 5 Highways in play you could Expand a Royal Blacksmith into a Fortune...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2016, 12:36:51 pm »
+2

I was playing a game with some proxy cards and came upon an interesting question. Someone had a hand of Crown, Gold, and Fortune. They Crowned Gold and then played Fortune. Crown doubled their money, does that mean Fortune doesn't trigger?

I'm 99% sure the answer to this is "Fortune does trigger" and the ability refers to cards that specifically double your current number of coins. Is this true?

Yeah, the (faulty) logic that leads to Fortune not triggering would also say that if you play 2 Coppers and then Fortune, that Fortune does nothing, because the second Copper "doubled your money" by taking it from 1 to 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2016, 05:02:10 am »
+1

Yeah, the (faulty) logic that leads to Fortune not triggering would also say that if you play 2 Coppers and then Fortune, that Fortune does nothing, because the second Copper "doubled your money" by taking it from 1 to 2.
Coppersmith!

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2016, 12:43:12 am »
+2

I'm guessing I can't play Actions in my Buy phase if my +1 Action token is on Rocks?  But if I buy a Villa, I will have that extra Action when I revert to my Action phase?
Same goes for fortune, and the only thing so far about this card is how much the art sucks.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2016, 03:19:05 am »
+4

Coppersmith!

Coppersmith does not double your money.  It makes Copper yield +$1.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »
+3

Playing no $ generation during your Action phase (with no Durations) also doubles your money!

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »
+4

I just realized that Gladiator (as well as several other preview cards) showcase the new use of "they" pronouns.  People in my household are pretty hyped about the pronoun change.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »
+10

I just realized that Gladiator (as well as several other preview cards) showcase the new use of "they" pronouns.  People in my household are pretty hyped about the pronoun change.

I bet those bastards are.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2016, 12:08:59 pm »

This change has made pretty much everyone I play Dominion with who isn't male (actually, the majority of people I play Dominion with) very happy.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »
+3

This change has made pretty much everyone I play Dominion with who isn't male (actually, the majority of people I play Dominion with) very happy.

I bet those bastards are.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
+1

Didn't make any males happy?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2016, 03:46:25 pm »
+1

I'm indifferent, and so's my wife.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2016, 03:47:56 pm »
+1

Didn't make any males happy?

Only the bastards
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2016, 05:27:20 pm »

One bastard goes in, and another comes out.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

dbclick

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: dbclick
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2016, 02:12:06 am »
+6

Does Catapult's Treasure type check happen before or after the trashed card lands in the trash? (since an Estate inheriting Crown would revert back to a non-Treasure once in the trash)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2016, 02:18:02 am »
+2

Does Catapult's Treasure type check happen before or after the trashed card lands in the trash? (since an Estate inheriting Crown would revert back to a non-Treasure once in the trash)
After.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2016, 03:00:50 am »
+7

Of all the obscure rules questions i have seen, this wins the title of most obscure. Congratulations.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.