Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Empires Previews #2: Split Piles  (Read 78225 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Previews #2: Split Piles
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »
+3

I'm guessing I can't play Actions in my Buy phase if my +1 Action token is on Rocks?  But if I buy a Villa, I will have that extra Action when I revert to my Action phase?
Yes.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:51 pm »
+4

Also I'm happy to play my Settler/Bustling Villages online, otherwise that probably takes longer than Hunting Party stacks.

No, not nearly. The first time in a turn you look through your discard pile, you can just put all your Coppers and Settlers on top.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:31 pm »

What happens if you play Gladiator with an empty hand?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
+2

I really want to call them Settlers of Catan.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
+2

Isn't Rocks just strictly worse than Copper?

It gains silvers

Copper that junks you, yeah.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 12:49:45 pm »
+3

Young Witch can have Gladiator/Fortune as its bane (and then both cards will do the trick)

Well, huh. "Cards from that pile are Bane cards," Young Witch says. So they are.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 12:53:15 pm »

Shit diddly!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 12:53:45 pm »
+2

It gains silvers

Except in this game, you have a Catapult to turn that "junk" into a discard attack and Curse giver, so I'm not convinced gaining extra Silvers is bad if you've bought Catapult.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 12:55:46 pm »

Each pile has 5 copies of the first (cheaper) card, then 5 copies of the second (more expensive) card. You can only buy/gain the card on top; if you want the other card, you have to dig it out. There are special randomizers for these piles, that list both cards and have art showing both things.

Sorry if I missed this, but to clarify, by "...then 5 copies," it means that when setting up, the five copies of the cheap card are always on top, and the five copies of the expensive card are always on the bottom?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »

It gains silvers

Except in this game, you have a Catapult to turn that "junk" into a discard attack and Curse giver, so I'm not convinced gaining extra Silvers is bad if you've bought Catapult.

What a time to be alive.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:02 pm »
+7

I do like the artwork for Bustling Village, but am I the only person who feels that village ought to look a little... busier?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59:48 pm »
+8

You get +$1 and trash a Gladiator from the Supply. No joke.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:21 pm »
+2

Dominion is beloved by pedants everywhere for this reason.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »

Because the player to your left failed to reveal a copy of... nothing?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 01:11:36 pm »
+2

I do like the artwork for Bustling Village, but am I the only person who feels that village ought to look a little... busier?

Do NOT Google "busty villager" when image searching to make a FYP "bustier/busier" joke

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 01:18:13 pm »

Because the player to your left failed to reveal a copy of... nothing?
You couldn't do part of the instructions, and neither could (s)he, because there was nothing to match. Pedantry at its best.

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »
+1

At long last, we have the Dominion Catapult. Well it's been a great run guys. And it doesn't even let you throw something at the board.

1/10, would not play again. :'(

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »
+5

I predicted some things from this, hooray!

On Split Piles:

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Knights.  With Knights, they all share one major effect (The trashing attack) and then vary extra bonuses.  But with just two different cards in a pile, you can design a bigger difference but with closer interaction.  I wonder if these piles will be shuffled or if they'll be specifically ordered (5/5, or interleaved).

Not the most daring prediction, but I'll take it.  The cards are very different but work closely together.  And my question is answered; they are specifically ordered 5/5.

Yesterday I gave some thought to what it would mean to have a mixed debt cost.

New thought for fan cards (and maybe some official cards that are yet to be revealed): a cheap debt card would be a lot like a regular cost card, because you wouldn't often need to put off paying for it.  But it would have an important distinction - you can't gain it with cost-based gainers like Workshop, and you can't reduce its cost (unless there is a new card that does that specifically).  You could also mix regular coin costs and debt costs to make something that essentially reduces in cost to a positive minimum.

Fortune probably wasn't designed specifically to be a card where you can essentially reduce its cost to $8 and no less, but that's how it works out.

Gladiator sounds like a strong payload.  Played well, it shouldn't be too tough to win the mini-game and make it a cheap terminal gold.  It seems like something you wouldn't want it too early (otherwise you may get stuck revealing Estates and Coppers which are easy to block), but you can't wait too long because there are only 5 in the pile and they may get trashed by other Gladiators.  Shelters make it easier to win the mini-game.  Then, Fortune is huge.  It's not as expensive as it looks since it provides so much money itself, if your deck can draw into it.  I wonder how often it will be worthwhile to pick up a second one, even though they don't stack.

Settlers is a Peddler as long as you've got Copper in your discard.  Bustling Village is a City with an extra action if you've got a Settler in your discard.  That's really good... but it relies on having those things in your discard, so not the most reliable.  I'm sure some people will not like this dependence on shuffle luck, but oh well.  Since Settlers are a lot like Peddler, I expect that they'll be bought pretty quickly in many games.  Maybe there will be some trepidation as players waver on buying the last Settlers and exposing the Bustling Villages.  OTOH, maybe not, since Bustling Village is better the more Settlers you have.

My first thought on Catapult is that it joins Swindler and Ambassador as another $3 junker.  It requires $3 fodder to do so, but is otherwise more reliable at cursing than either of them.  But the most common attack from early Catapults is going to be the discard attack, which works with Copper.  That alone will make it better than Militia a lot of the time, I think.  You make $1 less, but you get to trash a card.  Worth.  The trashing aspect means that it should be compared to other cheap trashers like Trade Route and Forager.  With the bundled attack, I think Catapult will hold up well.  Rocks is hilarious.  Combined with Catapult, it's 3 pieces of optimal fodder at an affordable price.  You can buy Rocks to set up a Silver for your Catapult next turn.  When you play Catapult twice in the same turn, using Rocks immediately provides the extra fodder for the second one.  Rocks is mostly terrible without Catapults though.  Also, it reminds me a lot of Masterpiece, which is humourously also a good source of Catapult fodder.

I want to give a shout-out to Co0kieL0rd for this:

Hey, this is not the "Really intriguing, kinda interesting card ideas" thread! I will counteract this elaborate balderdash with a really bad card idea:

Catapult
Cost: $4
Types: Action/Attack
Trash any number of Rocks from your hand. For each Rock trashed, each other player trashes a card from their hand.
When you buy this, gain 5 Rocks from the Rock pile.

Rock
Cost: $0*
Type: Rock
It's a Rock. (This is not in the Supply.)

Also, Donald mentioned throwing stuff at the board, so I count this as a prediction:

Knife Thrower
$4 - Action
Choose a card in your hand.  Standing 2 feet away from the playing area, throw the card at the Supply.  Gain a copy of one Supply card that it touches.  Trash the thrown card.

The RBCI thread: your source for Dominion inside information.

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 01:29:40 pm »

So, buying a Rocks with Watchtower in hand can end up with two Silvers on top of the deck, right? Or not?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »
+1

So, buying a Rocks with Watchtower in hand can end up with two Silvers on top of the deck, right? Or not?

Yes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:28 pm »
+5

So:

If Fortune is Swindled, I get another Fortune or nothing.
If Fortune is hit by Saboteur, I can gain something costing at most $2 less than $8+D8, which could include City Quarter, or Gold.
If I have six Highways in play, I can Remodel a City Quarter into a Fortune.

Are those all correct?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:52 pm »
+1

I absolutely love these cards!

Fortune looks pretty sick, but then it's also really expensive. I love those cards, we needed more of those spendy ones. Gladiator is meh but at least it gets you closer to Fortune.

Settlers and Bustling Village are some awesome engine cards, finally the +3 Actions other than Crossroads (and CotR sorta) we were waiting for. And it decreases the need for Copper trashing in engines.

Anything that combos with Feodum, combos with Catapult. Trash a Silver with your Catapult, and each opponent gets to discard AND take a purple. Too bad a hand with Catapult + 4x Silver doesn't get to Province...

Anyway, love it. <3 Can't wait to play Empires now after not being too enthusiastic yesterday!
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »

Pretty interesting concepts here. It seems the mechanics is to introduce some power creep into the game but at the same time constrain them by make them not getting their full power early game. In addition sometimes if your opponent can stop those card from functioning by not following suit. Kinda like Cities actually, but with more flavor.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »
+3

So:

If Fortune is hit by Saboteur, I can gain something costing at most $2 less than $8+D8, which could include City Quarter, or Gold.

Are those all correct?

Yes.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »
+1

So:

Are those all correct?

Yes.

Swindled Fortunes give you extra nothing if a Gladiator was returned to the Supply.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.