Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa  (Read 71083 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »

If I Summon a Villa, what happens? I am guessing this:

I gain Villa, which goes directly to my hand upon being gained, similar to Nomad Camp's ability.
I get +1 Action and return to my Action phase.
Summon tries to set Villa aside, looking for it in my hand.
At this point, I am not sure what should happen. On the one hand, maybe it succeeds, because even though my hand is not public information, everyone knows there is a Villa in my hand, and I am allowed to see all cards in my hand, so I can find it.
On the other hand, maybe it fails, because my hand is not public information, and in theory there could be some other ability that might trigger and cause me to discard or something, so in the interest of simplicity we consider it to immediately be lost track of when it enters my hand.

Edit: Actually, this seems similar to the situation where I Mine, say, Copper to Silver, and then reveal Watchtower to trash that Silver. We can do that, yes? In that case the Summon should succeed.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Villa goes directly to your hand when gained; I think it visits your discard pile. Therefore I believe Summon loses track of it. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:19:47 pm by LastFootnote »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »

The wording on Villa matches Nomad Camp, so my guess would that it does not visit the discard, and Summon would not lose track.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2016, 02:50:10 pm »

The wording on Villa matches Nomad Camp, so my guess would that it does not visit the discard, and Summon would not lose track.

But that's because Nomad Camp's wording is wrong. It could be that Villa's wording is similarly wrong, but I think it's meant to visit your discard pile. Again, I'm not 100% certain.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:59 pm »
+4

If I Summon a Villa, what happens? I am guessing this:

I gain Villa, which goes directly to my hand upon being gained, similar to Nomad Camp's ability.
I get +1 Action and return to my Action phase.
Summon tries to set Villa aside, looking for it in my hand.
At this point, I am not sure what should happen. On the one hand, maybe it succeeds, because even though my hand is not public information, everyone knows there is a Villa in my hand, and I am allowed to see all cards in my hand, so I can find it.
On the other hand, maybe it fails, because my hand is not public information, and in theory there could be some other ability that might trigger and cause me to discard or something, so in the interest of simplicity we consider it to immediately be lost track of when it enters my hand.

Edit: Actually, this seems similar to the situation where I Mine, say, Copper to Silver, and then reveal Watchtower to trash that Silver. We can do that, yes? In that case the Summon should succeed.
Nomad Camp specifically makes its wording an exception in the Hinterlands rulebook; Villa does not. So Villa goes to your discard pile and then moves to your hand, thus Summon loses track.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »

I have a stupid question.

What will happen, when I overpay a Stonemason by 4 and the first card I gain is a Villa?

My guess:
When I gain the Villa, it is put in my hand and the buy phase is immediately terminated. I cannot gain the second Action card from Stonemason, because of the Lose Track Rule.

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2016, 05:36:23 pm »
+3

What will happen, when I overpay a Stonemason by 4 and the first card I gain is a Villa?

My guess:
When I gain the Villa, it is put in my hand and the buy phase is immediately terminated. I cannot gain the second Action card from Stonemason, because of the Lose Track Rule.

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Nothing moved except the Villa you gained, so Stonemason didn't lose track of the other card.  You will gain the other card, even though it's your Action phase.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »

My guess:

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Nothing moved except the Villa you gained, so Stonemason didn't lose track of the other card.  You will gain the other card, even though it's your Action phase.

Thank you. So what will happen, if I overpay Stonemason by 6? Can I gain two Border Villages and two Villas then?

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »
+4

My guess:

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you. So what will happen, if I overpay Stonemason by 6? Can I gain two Border Villages and two Villas then?

Yes, you can.  The second Villa will be put into your hand along with the first one and give you another extra action, and it won't do anything else since you are already in your Action phase.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2016, 06:04:55 pm »
+1

My guess:

Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you can.  The second Villa will be put into your hand along with the first one and give you another extra action, and it won't do anything else since you are already in your Action phase.

Okay, this was quick. I thought, "return to Action phase" clears the stack of current on-buy and on-gain events, but it actually means "set the current phase to Action phase".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.