Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa  (Read 71084 times)

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2016, 11:16:22 pm »
+1

AND THEN EVERYONE GETS AN ACTION PHASE AT THE SAME TIME RAAAAAAH MASS INSANITY

Ahem. I think that's what happens (besides my addition). So that's a pretty bad idea. <.<

It's already established from Caravan Guard that Actions gained out of turn do nothing.  And since it's not the other players' Buy phases, the "Return to Action phase" clause does not trigger.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »

AND THEN EVERYONE GETS AN ACTION PHASE AT THE SAME TIME RAAAAAAH MASS INSANITY

Ahem. I think that's what happens (besides my addition). So that's a pretty bad idea. <.<

It's already established from Caravan Guard that Actions gained out of turn do nothing.  And since it's not the other players' Buy phases, the "Return to Action phase" clause does not trigger.

"besides my addition"
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2016, 11:30:21 pm »
+12

It seems like half this forum is playtesters sometimes.  Makes me raspberry jelly.  :(

Amen.  I know they are trying to be helpful, but comments that refer to the knowledge gained in playtesting rub me the wrong way.

I will probably not stop answering rules questions.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:16 pm »
+1

It seems like half this forum is playtesters sometimes.  Makes me raspberry jelly.  :(

Amen.  I know they are trying to be helpful, but comments that refer to the knowledge gained in playtesting rub me the wrong way.

I will probably not stop answering rules questions.

Thank you, and it was fun to play a couple matches against you earlier online :)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2016, 01:00:24 am »
+2

Let's say I have 2 Hagglers in play and I buy Duchy, gaining Villa. I go back to my action phase. Do I still resolve the second Haggler effect?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:39 am »
+1

Let's say I have 2 Hagglers in play and I buy Duchy, gaining Villa. I go back to my action phase. Do I still resolve the second Haggler effect?
I'd say yes, having resolved the "go back to your Action phase" effect of Villa, you then resolve the second on-buy effect. Otherwise, the trigger would still be sitting around, and I can only assume that the alternative would be to wait for your Buy phase to come around again to resolve it, which would be ridiculous.

On another note, I'd love to Inherit a Villa. And buying Inheritance, putting my Estate token on Villa would be pretty good too. Ironworksing an Inherited Villa is just getting silly (actually not that silly, since it essentially gives you a vanilla Village effect plus an extra card in hand).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:54 am »
+3

Yes.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2016, 01:48:47 am »
+2

Yes.

So if what you want with the other Haggler effect is a Peddler, you should have taken it first.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2016, 03:19:06 am »
+1

The thing I like most about Villa is that it adds something completely new and out-of-the-box.

I also like cards like Coppersmith, Counting House, etc. over Smithy, Market and the likes because they add something unique to the game.
It doesn't get more unique than the old phase switcheroo!

You can create some insane combos with this!

Play 4 Bridges and empty the pile!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2016, 03:20:41 am »
+1

At first glance, Villa looks horribly overpowered and highly annoying to resolve, but I assume DXV and co know what they're doing...
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2016, 03:28:51 am »
+1

I don't mind playtesters being playtesters. Sure, I would also like to be a playtester, but as it turns out, I didn't participate in the tournament based on which Donald chose playtesters, so I can't really complain.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2016, 06:31:49 am »
+7

I might have played with guys who are playtesters.
So that makes me a playtester-tester.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:25 am »

I might have played with guys who are playtesters.
So that makes me a playtester-tester.

Yeah same here. I was one of the... secondary playtesters I guess? I was in the right place at the right time to learn about some of the cards and mechanics (thanks Elestan) but I wasn't singled out by DXV and I definitely haven't gotten to familiarize myself with all of them. This was one of the ones I did get to see.

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with everyone saying the only thing stopping Villa from being way OP is the lack of draw. If it were, for example, a level 3 City with that on-gain effect, then we'd have something to worry about. But as it is, there's not THAT much you can do with the on-gain without a way to get more cards - it's kinda like Coin in that aspect. The reason I thought it was so broken in my game is that I DID have a way to draw more cards because of the +1 card token, but that's kinda what the token is there for.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:03 am »
+4

Play 4 Bridges and empty the pile!

You only need 3, it gives you +$1. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2016, 12:03:17 pm »
+2

I don't mind playtesters being playtesters. Sure, I would also like to be a playtester, but as it turns out, I didn't participate in the tournament based on which Donald chose playtesters, so I can't really complain.
But were you willing to go to Chicago? I ask you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:30 pm »

No. That's also a thing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »

Who is ever willing to go to Chicago?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2016, 12:52:56 am »
+3

So... can I play no treasure, use Alms to gain Villa, play it to gain a buy and $1, then play my treasures and buy a $4/$5/$6 cost card, depending on what else I have?  And I could do this on both of my starting turns, and have 2 Villas, a $5 and a $4 in my deck on T3?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2016, 12:54:43 am »
+4

So... can I play no treasure, use Alms to gain Villa, play it to gain a buy and $1, then play my treasures and buy a $4/$5/$6 cost card, depending on what else I have?  And I could do this on both of my starting turns, and have 2 Villas, a $5 and a $4 in my deck on T3?
Is this a rhetorical question? They told me to watch out for those.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 01:04:08 am »

Is this a rhetorical question? They told me to watch out for those.

Suffice to say, Alms/Villa is nuts.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2016, 01:13:03 am »
+1

Just remember you might want some draw to go with all your Villa's before you gain the whole pile with Alms because it is a free $1.  Villa gives $1, and is non-terminal, which sounds a bit like... uh... Copper. If you don't have a use for all that +Action you might be hurting later.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2016, 01:15:32 am »

Just remember you might want some draw to go with all your Villa's before you gain the whole pile with Alms because it is a free $1.  Villa gives $1, and is non-terminal, which sounds a bit like... uh... Copper. If you don't have a use for all that +Action you might be hurting later.

There are quite a few terminal draw cards at .  Margrave and Torturer spring immediately to mind.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2016, 01:20:45 am »
+2

I mean, I'm just saying you should make sure you have a plan before you grab up the whole pile of Villa's, because they don't draw a card, and sometimes that can hurt.  Like maybe part of your plan is to put Plan on Villa. That might be fun.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2016, 02:11:18 am »

Yeah the whole fun with Villa seems to drastically decrease when the pile is emptied. Unfortunately, that probably means that both people will empty that pile too early before the card can get completely insane.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2016, 03:40:31 am »
+1

There are quite a few terminal draw cards at .  Margrave and Torturer spring immediately to mind.

And Rabble, Journeyman and Catacombs, maybe Haunted Woods if it counts. Ghost Ship, Witch, Cultist, Vault and Wharf give +2; Council Room gives +4 at a penalty; Library draws up to 7. (Library looks awesome with Villa.)
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.