Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa  (Read 71100 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2016, 03:46:43 pm »
+3

I initially thought jsh was just messing with us.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »
+3

Also, it's a +3 Actions village if you gain it midturn (or mid action phase, as we should now say).

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2016, 04:04:37 pm »
+1

This card works great with Library or Minion. Play all your money, buy Villa, play Library/Minion, continue ...

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2016, 04:22:31 pm »
+3

One thing that wasn't quite clear to me was this:

Suppose you buy Villa when you only have one buy.  When you return to your action phase, before you play Villa, do you temporarily have 0 buys?  Playing Villa then gets you a single buy to use when go to your buy phase a second time?

I'm reasonably certain you get handed a free Buy when you enter your Buy phase.  So if you play Villa, then go to your Buy phase again, you should have 2 Buys.
No, ben_king has it right. Your turn comes with an Action and a Buy, the individual phases do not.

I stand corrected.

Unless of course you were sitting at the time. If so, then you actually sit corrected.

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »

The best combo is probably draw-to-X engines. You can buy a bunch of Watchtowers, then as soon as one lines up with $4, you can buy Villa, go back and play the Watchtower, and repeat to draw your deck. Once you've run the Villas out, you have a semi-decent draw-to-X engine built. You certainly need a strong payload/attack that you can pick up early for this to be viable, though - just playing out a bunch of coppers every turn is not worth it.

The other main use is just avoiding terminal collision in slower money-ish games. Stuff like colliding Mountebanks that usually feels so bad now has an answer. You really don't want to overdo buying these in such decks, though - the top half of the card would be an underwhelming 3 and will often end up being a Copper.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »

With empires it is now possible to become the villa idiot.

And the City Quarter idiot doesn't have quite the same ring to it...
[turn 1 buy FTW]

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2016, 04:51:01 pm »
+4

I actually freaked out in real life. I have absolutely no idea how this plays and that's great.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »
+3

This card works great with Library or Minion. Play all your money, buy Villa, play Library/Minion, continue ...
This card works great with Tactician !

flaquito

• Steward
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »
+1

This card works great with Tactician !

Almost certainly useful here and there, but the idea of trying to build an engine that requires the purchase of a particular card to trigger terrifies me. Knowing that my opponent could run out the pile to kill my engine, and that even if he doesn't, I've only got a limited number of triggers anyway, isn't a good thought. Now, throw in an Ambassador to resupply it, and you may have something. It's still probably more finicky than Black Market + Tactician, but it's still pretty cool to see another way to get money in play and still be able to play Tactician.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 06:22:44 pm »
+9

Best. Designed. Card. Ever.
Join the Dominion League!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »
+1

Have you already implemented it in Dom2017?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2016, 06:35:55 pm »
+4

They have.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2016, 06:56:51 pm »

I like that the "return to your action phase" is an on-gain effect.  This sets it apart from CotR, which covers similar territory, which is the main reason I've been sceptical of "return to action phase" fan cards.

The other reason is the potential rules confusion, which has already come up in this thread.  But oh well, some confusion is inevitable with every new expansion.

The lack of drawing power by Villa makes Villa almost strictly worse than Village, but it's +Buy and +$1 in addition to it's ability to continue a turn make it alright.

"+1 card" vs. "+$1, +1 buy" is already a big enough difference that it's not at all close to strictly worse, and that's before accounting for the huge impact of the on-gain effect.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »
+1

They have.

It seems like half this forum is playtesters sometimes.  Makes me raspberry jelly.  :(
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2016, 09:09:33 pm »
+2

They have.

It seems like half this forum is playtesters sometimes.  Makes me raspberry jelly.  :(

Amen.  I know they are trying to be helpful, but comments that refer to the knowledge gained in playtesting rub me the wrong way.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:10:40 pm by Orange »

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:48 pm »
+1

Messenger - Villa!  Return to your action phase while handing out junk.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2016, 09:18:41 pm »

They have.

*hint hint* :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2016, 09:21:03 pm »

They have.

Amen.  I know they are trying to be helpful, but comments that refer to the knowledge gained in playtesting rub me the wrong way.

Me too. I suggest that when making comments like this in the future, you lie and instead say "so, I just played a bunch of games with this card (using a proxy of course), and here's the insight I gained from actually playing it:"

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2016, 09:29:38 pm »
+3

They have.

What should playtesters do to improve the experience for you? I get the frustration, but I mean, obviously not everyone is going to be involved in everything. We can just not post, but is that truly better? I have been trying to post less about stuff this time around myself (because of similar feelings expressed) and tell more jokes instead, but you can't expect that from every tester.

Admittedly, this is owing in part to the fact that I didn't test during all of Empires' development and am actually looking forward to playing with many of the cards myself before making too many claims.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:23 pm »
+3

The thing I like best about Villa is how, after running out of prefixes for Villages (Worker's, Fishing etc.), Donald simply decided to cut the last two letters.
Next set will have "Ill"?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2016, 10:10:37 pm »

This must be Elanchana's favorite card (rhymes with vanilla). And I was so sure it would be "flotilla". Oh well.

You are absolutely correct. This is my favorite card that I got to playtest. Protip: Put your +1 card token on it for serious awesome. That's what I did and I won by a landslide.

So yeah, Villa is epic. Just how epic, you ask? Click here...
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2016, 10:22:58 pm »

Villa makes your brain explode when you first see it, and there are a lot of neat tricks, but like most well-designed cards, it's not too bonkers-crazy when in (most?) real game scenarios.  Tactically picking them up to continue dead turns is pretty awesome.  I could see this getting really wacky with KC shenanigans.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:11 pm »
+1

If I use Ambassador or Messenger to give Villas to other players, it goes into their hands, yes?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2016, 11:06:46 pm »

They have.

What should playtesters do to improve the experience for you? I get the frustration, but I mean, obviously not everyone is going to be involved in everything. We can just not post, but is that truly better? I have been trying to post less about stuff this time around myself (because of similar feelings expressed) and tell more jokes instead, but you can't expect that from every tester.

Admittedly, this is owing in part to the fact that I didn't test during all of Empires' development and am actually looking forward to playing with many of the cards myself before making too many claims.

Probably nothing.  It's my flaw, not the playtesters'.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2016, 11:08:52 pm »
+1

If I use Ambassador or Messenger to give Villas to other players, it goes into their hands, yes?

AND THEN EVERYONE GETS AN ACTION PHASE AT THE SAME TIME RAAAAAAH MASS INSANITY

Ahem. I think that's what happens (besides my addition). So that's a pretty bad idea. <.<
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.