Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa  (Read 71082 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Bonus Preview #1: Villa
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 02:47:17 pm »

The thing I like best about Villa is how, after running out of prefixes for Villages (Worker's, Fishing etc.), Donald simply decided to cut the last two letters.

A Villa is a real thing. It's in tune with Donald's Roman theme: a large country house of Roman times, having an estate and consisting of farm and residential buildings arranged around a courtyard. So Courtyard combos with Villa!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 02:47:35 pm »
+3

You always need to watch out for Villa pileouts.  They sneak up on you.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 02:50:35 pm »

I can't see the card, because it is hosted on Imgur, and Imgur is blocked on my ISP. :(

Does your ISP also block boardgamegeek.com? If not, you can see it over there.

EDIT: Saved by wero!

No, it doesn't. However, no one has posted Villa on BGG yet.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:35 pm »
+1

The thing I like best about Villa is how, after running out of prefixes for Villages (Worker's, Fishing etc.), Donald simply decided to cut the last two letters.

The other small habitations were apparently produced by GE. Now they have a new supplier, apparently, so they've gone with the unbranded version.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 02:56:43 pm »

Holy crap. So many times a fan card has tried "return to your action phase". And so many times it has been shot down by me and others as a bad idea. I'm really not sure how I feel about it being done. The fact that it's done on an official card instead of a fan card doesn't automatically make it a better idea, but on the other hand it does mean that people who know way more than I do about what is or isn't a good idea think it's ok.

I've played with it alot and Villa is my 2nd favorite card in the entire game.
What is your favorite card in the whole game?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 02:56:49 pm »
+3

This must be Elanchana's favorite card (rhymes with vanilla). And I was so sure it would be "flotilla". Oh well.

If you get this to cost 0, can't you insta-pile them?

Since it gives a coin, you only need to get it to $1.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 03:01:48 pm »
+14

Holy crap. So many times a fan card has tried "return to your action phase". And so many times it has been shot down by me and others as a bad idea. I'm really not sure how I feel about it being done. The fact that it's done on an official card instead of a fan card doesn't automatically make it a better idea, but on the other hand it does mean that people who know way more than I do about what is or isn't a good idea think it's ok.

I've played with it alot and Villa is my 2nd favorite card in the entire game.
What is your favorite card in the whole game?
Silver
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:15 pm »
+4

I seem to remember some discussion in the Variants subforum about a card that returns you to your Action phase...

Yes, it was a heated discussion. I proposed a reaction  village you could play if you drew it dead, which was an idea a lot of people had previously. So people started talking about all these others, one of which returned you to your Action phase, and some other people really really hated the idea of returning to your Action phase. Since Villa happens when you gain it, it may be even easier to do, though (usually) limited in the number of times per game.

Ankenaut, did you just change your avatar to a card which has been out for like, 3 hours?

Heck yeah. A lot of the good Avatars are already taken, and I'm pretty new here, so my plan was to pounce on any good ones from Empires. I really like this guy's look.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:20 pm »

I seem to remember some discussion in the Variants subforum about a card that returns you to your Action phase...

Yes, it was a heated discussion. I proposed a reaction  village you could play if you drew it dead, which was an idea a lot of people had previously. So people started talking about all these others, one of which returned you to your Action phase, and some other people really really hated the idea of returning to your Action phase. Since Villa happens when you gain it, it may be even easier to do, though (usually) limited in the number of times per game.

Ankenaut, did you just change your avatar to a card which has been out for like, 3 hours?

Heck yeah. A lot of the good Avatars are already taken, and I'm pretty new here, so my plan was to pounce on any good ones from Empires. I really like this guy's look.

There are plenty of great Adventures avatars that I uploaded that have not been taken at all, if you want to go look.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »
+3

Villa + Watchtower... The ride never ends.

EDIT: I guess at some point all your cards will be in play and that will be it though. (Except with further edge cases)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:12:05 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 03:15:24 pm »
+11

With empires it is now possible to become the villa idiot.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 03:17:49 pm »

Villa + Watchtower... The ride never ends.

EDIT: I guess at some point all your cards will be in play and that will be it though. (Except with further edge cases)

Well, you can always buy new cards and topdeck them before buying Villa. The supply is finite though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 03:18:42 pm »
+3

One thing that wasn't quite clear to me was this:

Suppose you buy Villa when you only have one buy.  When you return to your action phase, before you play Villa, do you temporarily have 0 buys?  Playing Villa then gets you a single buy to use when go to your buy phase a second time?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »

With empires it is now possible to become the villa idiot.

You are correct.

The same pitfall that trapped people into buying too many Villages and trapped many people into buying too many Universities will now trap people into buying too many Villas.

The lack of drawing power by Villa makes Villa almost strictly worse than Village, but it's +Buy and +$1 in addition to it's ability to continue a turn make it alright.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:20:43 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »
+2

Suppose you buy Villa when you only have one buy.  When you return to your action phase, before you play Villa, do you temporarily have 0 buys?  Playing Villa then gets you a single buy to use when go to your buy phase a second time?

I'm positive the answer to this is yes.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 03:24:41 pm »
+21

This card is awesome.

My favorite trick of all the crazy ones I've seen is:
"All these stupid Coppers in my hand make my Menageries sad... I guess I'll just end my Action phase, play them and buy a Villa.  Problem solved."

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 03:25:05 pm »
+5

Correct.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 03:26:11 pm »

I'm reasonably certain you get handed a free Buy when you enter your Buy phase.  So if you play Villa, then go to your Buy phase again, you should have 2 Buys.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:15 pm »

There are plenty of great Adventures avatars that I uploaded that have not been taken at all, if you want to go look.

Uploaded where?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
+19

I'm reasonably certain you get handed a free Buy when you enter your Buy phase.  So if you play Villa, then go to your Buy phase again, you should have 2 Buys.
No, ben_king has it right. Your turn comes with an Action and a Buy, the individual phases do not.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:21 pm »

No. You don't get additional buys unless you play Villa. You still get your normal Buy and that's it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »

No, ben_king has it right. Your turn comes with an Action and a Buy, the individual phases do not.

I stand corrected.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 03:32:37 pm »
+2

Buying Villa is now another way to get to playing your Treasures during your Action phase. Horn of Plenty gains are possible mid-turn because of this, but of course there's the big winner here: Tactician.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 03:37:46 pm »

I stand corrected.
Aww and here I was thinking this could be used as a $4 Travelling Fair.

Still a crazy card though, and like that the top part is vanilla. Vanilla Villa. Heh.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 03:44:08 pm »
+1

I stand corrected.

And this is the reason why I've opposed this mechanic in the past. People will think that returning to their action phase means that they now have an action (in addition to the 1 provided when you gain Villa). Same with returning to your buy phase. Of course the rules will help make this explicit; but it's just completely intuitive. But hey, I think we must accept that Dominion will grow in complexity and interactions.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.