Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Empires Previews #1: Debt  (Read 170737 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Previews #1: Debt
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2016, 03:02:55 pm »

I am trying to think of the problem interaction that prevented Debt cost cards from being coin cost cards with the added ability of being able to purchase with Debt, and I am coming up short. Is Swindler that bad? Remodel too good?

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:18 pm »
+1

If you buy a Debt card and you have no treasure in your deck (and no virtual money or gainers or anything) I guess you've just locked yourself out of the game!  You can't even buy a single copper to start pulling yourself out. 
How does this happen? (Not claiming it can't, just curious on the possibilities--maybe Spoils play a role?)

Open Chapel, trash all your cards, after Chapel is the only card in your deck, buy a Debt card, now you can't buy anything and have no way of paying off the debt; your only hope is an opponent Masquerading you something that gives you +Coins.

Also, may have been answered before, but paying off debt does NOT use a Buy, correct?

Correct
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:05:33 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »
+5

I am trying to think of the problem interaction that prevented Debt cost cards from being coin cost cards with the added ability of being able to purchase with Debt, and I am coming up short. Is Swindler that bad? Remodel too good?

We did try them that way in some fashion. Swindler was, in fact, horrifying.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:02 pm »

We did try them that way in some fashion. Swindler was, in fact, horrifying.

I think Swindler is probably my least favorite card in the entire game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2016, 03:10:03 pm »
+4

Also, may have been answered before, but paying off debt does NOT use a Buy, correct?
Paying off debt does not use a Buy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »

Correct.  That's how Capital lets you pay off Debt in your Clean-up phase.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
+3

So, I assume Debt, VP and Coin Tokens work this way, then. What about Pirate Ship tokens?
Yes, you also get those tokens.
LF has reminded me that no, you don't get Pirate Ship tokens.

If you got them, they would just be regular coin tokens, not on a mat; remember other information is lost (e.g. their Bureaucrat gives you Silver in your discard pile, not on your deck).

Pirate Ship needs a clearer phrasing to deal with Guilds existing and that phrasing also has to be clearly different from getting tokens the other ways.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »

Will your previews be posted at the same time tomorrow?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2016, 03:31:42 pm »
+2

If you buy a Debt card and you have no treasure in your deck (and no virtual money or gainers or anything) I guess you've just locked yourself out of the game!  You can't even buy a single copper to start pulling yourself out. 
How does this happen? (Not claiming it can't, just curious on the possibilities--maybe Spoils play a role?)

Open Chapel, trash all your cards, after Chapel is the only card in your deck, buy a Debt card, now you can't buy anything and have no way of paying off the debt; your only hope is an opponent Masquerading you something that gives you +Coins.

Oh duh, somehow I keep thinking you would have to have hit $8 to have bought the card even though not having to do so is literally the entire point.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2016, 03:33:28 pm »

Will your previews be posted at the same time tomorrow?
Well they won't be earlier. The plan is to have them around the same time but I won't know for sure until it happens.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2016, 03:34:31 pm »
+10

Wow, this Debt sure has a high rate of interest.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2016, 03:37:26 pm »
+7

It's not just interactions, where some are nice and some not. It's also, that reddish hexagon with an 8 on it is the entirety of what City Quarter uses to invoke this mechanic. Rather than, you know, a bunch of text.

Originally they had big costs. Then they had like "when you gain this during your turn, take 8 Debt" (these are the ones where Swindler really hurt). The 8 in the corner was the best approach; I could have gone back if it hadn't been better.

Edit: To clarify this for some of you, the reason having Swindler hit "when you gain this during your turn, take 8 Debt" really hurt is because the card itself cost $0; they Swindle it into a Curse and you lose the card you paid $8 for. You never got Debt via having your card Swindled; note the "during your turn."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:19:22 pm by Donald X. »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2016, 03:54:36 pm »

Capital and Wine Merchant seem similar. Also, they have an interesting interaction. I think that when you discard Wine Merchants, you can still use those $2 to pay off debt, because you get to choose the order of things. Is this true, or does Wine Merchant always happen last?

flaquito

• Steward
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »

It's not just interactions, where some are nice and some not. It's also, that reddish hexagon with an 8 on it is the entirety of what City Quarter uses to invoke this mechanic. Rather than, you know, a bunch of text.

Originally they had big costs. Then they had like "when you gain this during your turn, take 8 Debt" (these are the ones where Swindler really hurt). The 8 in the corner was the best approach; I could have gone back if it hadn't been better.

So, if a card that "costs X debt" gets hit by Swindler, then it just gets trashed and replaced by a card that costs the same X debt, without the player accruing additional debt tokens?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »

Capital and Wine Merchant seem similar. Also, they have an interesting interaction. I think that when you discard Wine Merchants, you can still use those $2 to pay off debt, because you get to choose the order of things. Is this true, or does Wine Merchant always happen last?

No... You have to pay of debts in your buy phase. Wine Merchant checks if you have $2 at the end of your buy phase. It's not yet the end of your buy phase if you're still doing things in your buy phase like paying off debts.

*Edit* Sorry, that was for the normal case of paying off debts. If you are discarding a Capital from play, then you get an extra chance to pay off debts, in which case yes, you can pay off debts with the $2 you had at the end of your buy phase.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:59:06 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2016, 03:57:32 pm »

You would discard Capital after the end of your Buy phase, so you could release your Wine Merchants and still use your excess coin to pay off debt.  That is, specifically Capital's debt.  You would have to pay off other debt accrued that Buy phase first.  Although... do you have to pay off debt?  Could you leave for your Wine Merchants and just keep those 2 extra Debt tokens?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:58:35 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:14 pm »
+1

You would discard Capital after the end of your Buy phase, so you could release your Wine Merchants and still use your excess coin to pay off debt.  That is, specifically Capital's debt.  You would have to pay off other debt accrued that Buy phase first.  Although... do you have to pay off debt?  Could you leave for your Wine Merchants and just keep those 2 extra Debt tokens?

No rule was mentioned about being forced to pay off debts, so it seems pretty clear to me that you could keep the debt and discard Wine Merchant.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2016, 04:05:53 pm »
+1

Wine Merchant gets bought back at the end of the buy phase. So you can first get your Wine Merchant back, then discard Capital and use the 2$ to pay of debt.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2016, 04:08:31 pm »

I also love that Possession is getting a nerf. It's not the best card in the world to begin with, but now it's even not as good. :)

It's getting a buff. Previously, you could counter Possession by going for Goons and Bishop and Monument, but now if you do that, your opponent will get the tokens instead when he possesses you.

I haven't skimmed the whole thread yet, but we don't know if there will be more VP generating cards than debt cards. It's too soon to know for sure whether it's a buff or a nerf. It's possibly a nerf against Guilds coin token cards too since they can't be stockpiled for use across multiple possession turns.

Possession is going to be weird with debt because the possessee can be made to buy like 10 debt cards in one turn. Then the Possessor can just focus on playing Possession while preventing the opponent from buying anything and pulling the same trick when they themselves are possessed, because of all the debt. The lesson here is to avoid +buy cards in a Possession game with debt cards.

So like, people have been listing the hundreds of little ways that Mission rocks. I imagine debt cards will be strong for similar reasons given how dramatic their effects are.

I like that the debt cards avoid the King's Court problem where "first one to get it wins". These cards are always accessible so long as you have no debt, similar to Chapel. I imagine these were ideas that were too difficult to price fairly without the introduction of debt.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »

The problem with Mission "synergy" is that you can't buy the Mission in the first place if you're in Debt.  :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2016, 04:10:44 pm »
+3

The problem with Mission "synergy" is that you can't buy the Mission in the first place if you're in Debt.  :)

But you can buy Mission, then buy a Debt card. Which can be worth it if you're likely to make more than $4 next turn.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2016, 04:11:13 pm »

But you can buy Mission, then buy a Debt card.

True.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »

Why don't you buy mission first?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:01 pm »
+5

So, if a card that "costs X debt" gets hit by Swindler, then it just gets trashed and replaced by a card that costs the same X debt, without the player accruing additional debt tokens?
Buying City Quarter gets you 8 Debt. That's the only way City Quarter gives you Debt; it doesn't give it to you if you gain one via Jester or Swindler or Remodel or what have you.

There were never versions that gave you Debt when gaining these via Jester or Swindler or Remodel or what have you; when they said "when you gain this during your turn, take 8 Debt" they had that "during your turn" to stop e.g. Ambassador from being a big Debt attack.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »

I haven't skimmed the whole thread yet, but we don't know if there will be more VP generating cards than debt cards. It's too soon to know for sure whether it's a buff or a nerf. It's possibly a nerf against Guilds coin token cards too since they can't be stockpiled for use across multiple possession turns.

Well, I was only considering the existing card interactions. I guess it could be considered a nerf if you take into account the new cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.