Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]  All

Author Topic: Empires Previews #1: Debt  (Read 170386 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Previews #1: Debt
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2016, 11:16:01 am »
+1

Herbalist too.   :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

MattTV

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2016, 11:41:42 am »
+1

Oh and one question I had was if you crown a capital do you still accumulate just 6 debt? The card says that you accumulate the debt when you discard it from play not necessarily when you play it, so if even I play capital twice I'm still only discarding capital once from play. and thanks in advance for whoever answers.

You are right, only get 6 debt once. Note that Counterfeit/Mint/Mandarin may allow you to dodge the debt entirely.
Sweeet!! dude I can't wait to try a capital+crown+fortune game. just those alone would give you 24 dollars. an instant three provinces and I only gotta pay 6 back :D

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2016, 11:56:02 am »
+1

Oh and one question I had was if you crown a capital do you still accumulate just 6 debt? The card says that you accumulate the debt when you discard it from play not necessarily when you play it, so if even I play capital twice I'm still only discarding capital once from play. and thanks in advance for whoever answers.

You are right, only get 6 debt once. Note that Counterfeit/Mint/Mandarin may allow you to dodge the debt entirely.
Sweeet!! dude I can't wait to try a capital+crown+fortune game. just those alone would give you 24 dollars. an instant three provinces and I only gotta pay 6 back :D

Add Mandarin and two Quarries and that's two Colonies every turn! Can't wait to see that in a random game  ;)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:57 pm »

And Bonfire.

And, as Donald X. himself pointed out: the end of the game. (-8

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 20, 2016, 11:07:41 am »

So when laying out kingdom cards, it's somewhat common to sort them by price, then alphabetically, with potions sorting lexicographically (e.g., Cellar(2), Haven(2), Scrying Pool(2P), Enchantress(3), in that order).

Where would you put the debt cards?

Would you do (Inheritance(7), Overlord<8>, Prince(8)), or (Inheritance(7), Prince(8), Overlord<8>), or even (Overlord<8>, Poor House(1))? Would you put Engineer next to Bishop, or next to Peddler? Fortunately, the only coin+debt "card" is Wedding,  an event, so it doesn't normally get sorted into the kingdom cards.

The Wiki lists them before the other cards, and I've sorted them after. What do you do?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 20, 2016, 11:21:28 am »
+2

So when laying out kingdom cards, it's somewhat common to sort them by price, then alphabetically, with potions sorting lexicographically (e.g., Cellar(2), Haven(2), Scrying Pool(2P), Enchantress(3), in that order).

Would you do (Inheritance(7), Overlord<8>, Prince(8)), or (Inheritance(7), Prince(8), Overlord<8>), or even (Overlord<8>, Poor House(1))? Would you put Engineer next to Bishop, or next to Peddler? Fortunately, the only coin+debt "card" is Wedding,  an event, so it doesn't normally get sorted into the kingdom cards.

The Wiki lists them before the other cards, and I've sorted them after. What do you do?

I strongly recommend putting them at the bottom (or wherever their $ cost would put them). So, Engineer<4>, Overlord<8>, Encampment(2), Prince(8), Fortune(8)<8>. Maybe your group is different, but lots of casual players tend to look at cards only up to what they can afford, so they will not look beyond the $4 cards if they only have $4. Putting pure Debt cards at the bottom reminds them that they can buy those cards even with $0.

When I asked Donald about this, his position was: he doesn't sort piles in real-life games, but if he did, he would put Debt cards at the bottom. It's possible he would have a different opinion today, but I believe those were his thoughts a few months ago.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:22:57 am by LastFootnote »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 20, 2016, 11:25:54 am »

I prefer to put these after their coin equivalents

(3) Workshop, (4) Bishop, <4> Engineer, (4p) Golem, (7) King's Court, (8) Prince, <8> Overlord

I don't sort events in with the cards, they go below the Kingdom on their own.

I had not considered issues with new players, so I guess I will reconsider in such situations.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25650
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 20, 2016, 11:50:12 am »
+1

When I asked Donald about this, his position was: he doesn't sort piles in real-life games, but if he did, he would put Debt cards at the bottom. It's possible he would have a different opinion today, but I believe those were his thoughts a few months ago.
That still sounds good.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 20, 2016, 01:16:55 pm »
+1

I'd say to look at what you do with potion-cost cards and do the same for debt-cost cards.

Unfortunately, my group plays with Alchemy so infrequently that I can't remember what we do, there.

Relatedly, where should split piles go? We've always stuck Knights in with the $5s and just noticed when Sir Martin happens to be on top, but things are a little trickier now. I'm almost tempted to suggest moving the pile around the table according to the cost of what's on top though that could get old quite quickly in the case of Castles...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2016, 02:25:44 pm »

Relatedly, where should split piles go? We've always stuck Knights in with the $5s and just noticed when Sir Martin happens to be on top, but things are a little trickier now. I'm almost tempted to suggest moving the pile around the table according to the cost of what's on top though that could get old quite quickly in the case of Castles...

Or Encampment!

I just leave the piles where they started, except when I'm playing with a friend of mine who's legally blind. He prefers to have a separate row for each different cost, and so we move the piles to the correct row as needed.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
+2

The bottom? I always put cheaper cards on the top row...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 20, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
+1

Oh, me too. I just mean, the bottom of the cost ranking.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »

Odd. My set up is: basic victory on Top, with estates on the left, basic treasures on the right with copper on the bottom, and kingdom cards on the bottom left, with lowest cost on the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:51:27 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #388 on: June 20, 2016, 05:42:17 pm »
+4

Odd. Mine is basic victory

No, it's a kingdom Action card. Maybe that's why it's odd.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 20, 2016, 05:51:56 pm »
+3

Odd. My set up is: basic victory

Huh?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2016, 05:52:52 pm »

Odd. My set up is: basic victory

Huh?
He changed your quote!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Kergord

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 20, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »

I need some clarification on "Capital".

The text below the line that refers to paying off the 6 debt, is it saying you start paying off the debt with unspent coin?

I've been confused by the comments.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:12 pm »

I need some clarification on "Capital".

The text below the line that refers to paying off the 6 debt, is it saying you start paying off the debt with unspent coin?

I've been confused by the comments.

Yes, that is correct. (It says so in the rulebook aswell)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.