Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Complete Dominion rules document  (Read 44161 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing a new rules document
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:02 am »
+5

The time has arrived! Version 4 is now up - with Nocturne, Dismantle, new rulings and several fixes and improvements.

Complete Rules for Dominion and All Its Expansions

Scoobie

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2017, 08:16:52 pm »
+2

Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this!

I was looking into the information on Donate/Mountain Pass and extra turns. In your summary on the bgg page, you refer to an update that says extra turns are resolved before Donate and Mountain Pass. The clarifications in each of those card entries say the extra turns are resolved after them.

I’m guessing that the document is correct these cards set up after turn abilities and they should be resolved after the turn that set them up, not after potential extra turns.

I did do some searching here and at bgg to find the correct answer, but was unsuccessful. (I didn’t want to pester you with this.)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »
+2

Extra turns happen after Mountain Pass and Donate.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2017, 12:54:21 am »

I was looking into the information on Donate/Mountain Pass and extra turns. In your summary on the bgg page, you refer to an update that says extra turns are resolved before Donate and Mountain Pass. The clarifications in each of those card entries say the extra turns are resolved after them.

I’m guessing that the document is correct these cards set up after turn abilities and they should be resolved after the turn that set them up, not after potential extra turns.

Thanks for pointing this out! Donald answered you. It's a mistake on page 22 in my document. It's correct in the card entries, as you pointed out. Yes, I also made the mistake in the summery on BGG, but I corrected that now. Too bad I can't correct the mistake in the document until next version. Let's hope for a new expansion soon. :p

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:04 am »
+2

Thanks for pointing this out! Donald answered you. It's a mistake on page 22 in my document. It's correct in the card entries, as you pointed out. Yes, I also made the mistake in the summery on BGG, but I corrected that now. Too bad I can't correct the mistake in the document until next version. Let's hope for a new expansion soon. :p
You could always do a "version 4.1" correcting the small mistake. Or, if you feel better about it, "version 4.01."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:34 am »

Is there an underlying rule that makes this true? On the surface, it appears to be 2 different "after this turn" effects, so you would get to choose.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2017, 12:15:52 pm »

I've never seen this stated, but my inference from all the rulings I've seen for Outpost, Possession. Mission, Mountain Pass, Donate, etc. is that the way things go is:
  • ...End of Night phase
  • Cleanup
  • "At end of turn"
  • Determine if the game has ended
  • "After" the turn
  • Determine who will be taking the next turn
  • Start of turn
Things people do during turns, or after turns, can affect who takes the next turn, but all after-turn effects must be concluded before the next turn (for whomever) begins, there' can't be an after-turn effect that is deferred until an entire other turn has taken place.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2017, 01:05:14 pm »

I think both interpretations are reasonable, but Donald has ruled on it in another thread (and now here).

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2017, 02:13:57 pm »

If you really want to parse it, "At the end of your turn" could imply that it's still part of your turn (and "At the start of your turn" abilities provide precedent for that), while "After your turn" is clearly after your turn is over.  It may not be obvious, but it's there if you're looking closely enough.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2017, 02:38:17 pm »

If you really want to parse it, "At the end of your turn" could imply that it's still part of your turn (and "At the start of your turn" abilities provide precedent for that), while "After your turn" is clearly after your turn is over.  It may not be obvious, but it's there if you're looking closely enough.

Yes, I think that is pretty obvious actually, but I don't see how it relates directly to the issue. Donate, Mountain Pass and extra turns all happen after you're turn.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2017, 03:43:52 pm »
+2

Is there an underlying rule that makes this true? On the surface, it appears to be 2 different "after this turn" effects, so you would get to choose.
It's that they were supposed to happen between turns (just to deal with Possession).

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2018, 09:10:24 pm »
+2

Version 4.1 is up, with some changes because of some new elements in the 2nd editions of Guilds, Cornucopia and Alchemy.

This will be the ultimate version until another expansion shows up.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Dominion rules document
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2019, 09:42:56 am »

You can't download without signing in.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01:15 am »

You can't download without signing in.

It would be good if you created an account and gave the file a thumbs up. I'm sure you won't regret having an account on BGG if you're into boardgames. :)
I'm still working on the new version (with Renaissance), but I should be done soon!

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:16 am »
+3

The new version is finally finished, which incorporates Renaissance, as well as containing new rulings and many other fixes and improvements.

I would appreciate a thumb on BoardGameGeek. But if you don't have an account and for some reason really don't want to create one, you can also find a link somewhere in this thread. ;)

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2019, 11:32:40 am »
+2

Nice work man. Here are some of my notes/questions:

pg 9: I think it would be better if the paragraph for Fate brought up Will-o'-Wisp. I know you bring it up on the same page with Swamp's Gift, but it may be better if it was all in one paragraph. Even the Nocturne rulebook does this.
pg 41: Under "cards that let you cheat," you should also mention how Quest doesn't require you to reveal discarded Curses.
pg 58: Under Fortune you say you can spend Coffers if you played Fortune with another ability. Is that allowed? If my Venture reveals Fortune, I get to spend Coffers?

Also in all of section VI, the Boons written as "Sky's Gift, The" Is this intentional? Cause it just looks weird.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2019, 12:16:35 pm »

I discovered that half the PDF links didn't work. I'm fixing this now. I took down the file in the meantime. :( Hope it gets approved again soon.

EDIT: New version with fixed links was up 30 minutes ago.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:20:13 pm by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2019, 03:29:08 pm »

pg 9: I think it would be better if the paragraph for Fate brought up Will-o'-Wisp. I know you bring it up on the same page with Swamp's Gift, but it may be better if it was all in one paragraph. Even the Nocturne rulebook does this.
I might change this if there's a new version.

pg 41: Under "cards that let you cheat," you should also mention how Quest doesn't require you to reveal discarded Curses.
Good catch, will add it.
EDIT: Actually, I remember that I already considered but decided against it, because it's so marginal. It's different than Opulent Castle, because with that card there could be information that you in theory don't want to reveal (exactly which Victory cards you're discarding). With Quest there is no such consideration.

pg 58: Under Fortune you say you can spend Coffers if you played Fortune with another ability. Is that allowed? If my Venture reveals Fortune, I get to spend Coffers?
Yes, correct. The ruling is around here somewhere.

Also in all of section VI, the Boons written as "Sky's Gift, The" Is this intentional? Cause it just looks weird.
It's intentional, and quite normal in encyclopedias etc. when the entry is not alphabetized by that word ("the", "a", "an"...)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:20:36 pm by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2020, 10:13:00 am »
+3

Version 6.0 is now up!

The new promos Captain and Church are added, as well as the card errata (of 9 cards) and rules changes from September 2019. I'm releasing this version now even though the new expansion, Menagerie, will be published very soon, because it will be several months before I'll have the time to update this document for Menagerie.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:19:09 am by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2020, 11:34:29 pm »
+5

Version 7.0 is now up!

The expansion Menagerie is added.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2021, 09:33:26 am »

Is it your intention that you can't access the pdf without signing up?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2021, 10:25:10 am »
+1

Is it your intention that you can't access the pdf without signing up?

Not mine, but the intention of the BGG people. I chose to put it there, since it's the number one resource for boardgames.

Joshua

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2022, 01:44:57 pm »
+1

Now with the new coffers rule, the new rule of playing cards and Allies coming out, will there be a version 8.0 in like 6 months or so? Thank you very much for your work, very appreciated!

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2022, 12:18:21 am »

I'm assuming he's waiting for allies to be released and related rules questions with it to be answered
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2022, 01:16:49 pm »

Yes, when I've had time to go through all the new cards and mechanics and get questions resolved, I'll get started on the new version, which will also include all the rules changes since the previous version. I can't really say now when it will be done.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.