Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: harvest  (Read 17432 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: harvest
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »

Harvest has gotten a bad rap.
I mean, it sucks! Adventures and Empires made deck-drawing much easier. And with 2E's of Intrigue and Base rolling out suddenly the contenders for worst dropped out. Compare Harvest to Liegonary, Harvest can only sometimes give more, and it doesn't have a killer attack! I'd definitely put it at the worst .

Compare Harvest with Courtier.

Harvest is better when you can easily get $3-$4 off it and you want to discard cards from the top of your deck for cycling purposes. The niche for Harvest is really narrow.

I suppose some $5 cost cards can be worse than terminal  coin in certain kingdoms.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:58:21 pm by markusin »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:05 pm »

Perhaps I misused the phrase "bad rap." I didn't mean to imply that Harvest is good, or even decent. I just think it's a bit better than its reputation. At the very least, I don't see how Cache could be considered better. Are there any uses at all for that piece of garbage, besides Swindling?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »

Perhaps I misused the phrase "bad rap." I didn't mean to imply that Harvest is good, or even decent. I just think it's a bit better than its reputation. At the very least, I don't see how Cache could be considered better. Are there any uses at all for that piece of garbage, besides Swindling?
It's quite good with certain alt-VP, mainly Gardens, but also Duke. It has a variety of minor combos that it could be used with, like Watchtower, Keep, Labyrinth, Counting House, etc. The point is Chache does certain things only Cache can really do, but anything Harvest does something else does better.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 09:30:18 pm »
+1

Cache got use in a recent game played by Adam Horton (Adam actually lost to the Cache strategy).  I guess it was used as Rat food.

I once played a game where Harvest shined.  I think it was a slog and I just needed something spiky. ETA: already mentioned that game in this thread, don't want to double count it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:31:44 pm by trivialknot »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 10:02:23 pm »

Cache is very marginally better than Silver for big money, and sometimes you play big money and sometimes you hit $5 and don't want another Action. It's also useful whenever you want to gain three cards for one buy for any reason and you don't really care what those cards are. If you have an overdrawing engine, Cache can give you $5 worth of economy on the spot and you can get rid of the Coppers later. It's not exactly a super strong card, but it's far from useless.

Harvest is really not at all far from useless.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 02:55:08 am »

Worst cards in Dominion:
1. Transmute
2. Harvest
3. Pirate Ship
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.