Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Giant seems ok  (Read 3039 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Giant seems ok
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:34:22 pm »
+1

On a board of:

Events: Borrow, Scouting Party
Supply cards: Familiar, Baron, Horse Traders, Bridge Troll, Ghost Ship, Giant, Haggler, Lost City, Merchant Ship, Wine Merchant, Copper, Silver, Gold, Estate, Duchy, Province, Curse, Potion

we both split 3/4. My opponent opened potion and I was curious if Giant stood a chance against Familiar (remembering way back in the day that Sea Hag is probably a better opening than Potion on an otherwise boring board with Familiar and Sea Hag), so I borrowed for a Giant on turn 2, expecting to lose.

log:
https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160506/log.0.1462552025757.txt

This ended up working out well. Curses split 6-4, with me taking one more than him, but counting the dead potion, this is really more like a 6-5 curse split. Meanwhile, after the curses run out, Giant is a nice card to have a few of in a crappy deck full of curses -- spiking 5 occasionally is way better in this sort of deck than just consistently giving 3. It's hard to say if I got lucky to get away with only getting 6 curses; my sense is that it was roughly par for the course (my opponent didn't get screwed out of any Familiars early, but my Giant never hit a 4-6 until after the Curse pile was empty).

But the real star of the show was Scouting Party. Man is that a good card when you are just trying to play your key cards over and over -- basically exactly the same sort of semi-slog deck that you are loath to fill with silver when you hit another 3 is the sort of slog deck that really wants Scouting Party all the time.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
Re: Giant seems ok
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:29 pm »

I think your last sentence is spot on. Scouting Party is really, really good on boards without trashing and/or no +buy. Your opponent could have bought more of those to win the curse split.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »
+1

Yeah, if your opponent bought more Scouting Party, he would have had a much higher chance of winning the curse split, potentially even 8/2. I'm still not convinced on Giant.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
+5

I'm a fan of giant. Maybe not a *giant* fan, but a fan nonetheless.

Giant gives an average of three coins plus either a weak knight attack or witch attack.

There are certainly boards that giant is very good on. If there's no trashing the curses stack up. If buys are limited, the trashing is a big deal.

Here, I really like hammering familiar/scouting party to win the curse split.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:26:43 pm »

Scouting Party is the real star here. Giant is nice to have afterwards, but you don't want to be skipping Familiar at all here, especially with no trashing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 11:34:10 am »

I came to believe that playing a couple of Giants is a nice engine payload. I don't think I've played that sort of thing against a decent player, though.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:34:29 pm »
+1

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:07:16 am »
+2

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:47 am »

Giant any junking or trashing attack is pretty good when you call 6 Royal Carriages on it:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160503/log.0.1462233999298.txt

FTFY

So Thief is also a good use of your 6 Royal Carriages?

It very well can be. You can take away that crucial Gold by cycling through your opponent's deck. It's not fantastic, but it can work. Noblr Brigand would be much better though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 03:51:12 am »

Giant any junking or trashing attack is pretty good when you call 6 Royal Carriages on it:

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160503/log.0.1462233999298.txt

FTFY

So Thief is also a good use of your 6 Royal Carriages?

It very well can be. You can take away that crucial Gold by cycling through your opponent's deck. It's not fantastic, but it can work. Noblr Brigand would be much better though.

Unless you want their Platina or Horns of Plenty instead.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.