Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Teasers!  (Read 108619 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
Re: Teasers!
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2016, 11:12:50 pm »

Prediction: Bidding will be limited to a single card or event. Something that when played/bought makes people bid for some effect.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2016, 01:01:30 am »
+1

Prediction: Bidding will be limited to a single card or event. Something that when played/bought makes people bid for some effect.

I also think it's limited to a single card/event, but I'll guess that the bidding is done in setup instead of when played/bought.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2016, 02:26:17 am »

I think the bidding and the doubling are probably linked:
Like, at the start of your turn, you may bid an amount. If you have (done something) at least that many times by the start of your buy phase, double your coin.

That would be OK.

Maybe it would have to be an exact bid of something. That way crazy big turns don't get doubled so easily because you might go over the limit.
Maybe bidding is like the Caprice from Android.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +293
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2016, 04:33:00 am »
+2

$14 Event!

Man, that's expensive.

I'm curious how this bidding card works.

I'll give you $10 for it.

That's called Haggling, and we already have a card for that ;)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2016, 05:10:14 am »
+2

Anyway,

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2016, 06:17:45 am »
+4

Prediction: (Secret) Bidding card is designed by guest designer David Sirlin.

:P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2016, 06:20:44 am »
+3

Prediction: The red hexagons are gunpowders and they're designed by guest designer ErrinF.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2016, 06:25:52 am »
+2

Prediction: The red hexagons are gunpowders and they're designed by guest designer ErrinF.

Yeah, you set them on fire and throw them at each other. FLAME WAR!

Dominion: Legacy, the game where every successful play will leave an eternal mark on the skin of your opponents.

phoenix9797

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2016, 09:35:37 am »

I also think it's limited to a single card/event, but I'll guess that the bidding is done in setup instead of when played/bought.

My guess is that the bidding goes as follows.  On my turn, I can place a "bid" on some card / event (by spending treasure or VP during my buy phase).   If it gets to my turn again and I'm the highest bidder, I get the card / event, and the losing bids are forfeited.  If not, I can supplement my existing bid to make it the highest.  This repeats until someone takes a turn that starts with him / her as the highest bidder.  Then the process can repeat.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:54 am »

Bidding could be a card that increases in cost as more are gained, and maybe only the most expensive one not in the supply can be played. So, only the player willing to pay the most for it gets to keep playing it.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 10:31:11 am »
+1

Or, maybe bidding isn't so literal. Bid could be the name of an event that is thematically tangential to the actual idea of bidding.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 10:33:22 am »
+2

Or there could be a Way to Bid.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1775
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 10:55:06 am »
+2

Maybe SCSN had some influence on the bidding card:

Beyond Silver
Event - $0
Starting with you, each player reveals a number of Silvers from their hand. The player(s) who reveals the most Silver(s) trashes those Silvers.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2016, 11:11:44 am »
+1

Let me set up my guess for the bid wars card:

Event: Bid thing
Cost: $0

You may overpay for this event. If you do, [some nice bonus like card draw] every turn until someone else overpays. The amount you spent becomes the new cost of this Event.

Worded horribly, but I could easily see this being an awesome card. It's not too annoying as a bid Event, and I could see this in Dominion. What I don't see is a bidding Kingdom card. Now watch it be a Kingdom card, just because I said I don't see it. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:22:52 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ankenaut

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2016, 11:33:06 am »
+18

Write your bids on a piece of paper. Hmm we better include some pencils.  Wait, I figured out what the red hexagons are!

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2016, 11:41:29 am »

Given the well-understood issues with making an Action-Treasure [...]

Sorry, I've missed or forgotten that discussion; what's wrong with it just being played as both?  It's an Action-Treasure, so when you played it, you played an Action, and you played a Treasure.
Hmm. I've seen extensive discussion of it before. I thought it was in a guide for fan cards, but I can't find it any more. )-8

The first question would be: would it have one effect played as an Action and another played as a Treasure, or just one effect you could play as either? (Playing "as an Action" meaning something different from playing "an Action" - you'd be playing an Action, even when you played it as a Treasure, I guess.)

One big objection is that it would no longer be the case that if it was yellow and on the table, it was money to spend that turn, because you might have played it as an Action not a Treasure. Though I guess Counterfeit, Coin of the Realm and Storyteller have already complicated that more than somewhat in their respective ways.

There would have to be clarification of whether "Action card you have in play" really meant that or actually intended "Card you have in play as an Action" for Peddler, "Treasure card you have in play" similarly for Bank (and, I suppose the corresponding question relating to Conspirator after Storyteller). If the "Actions in play" and "Treasures in play" were left meaning literally that, the new Action -Treasure would have to be balanced in the face of them.

I note that we're however many expansions in, and an Action-Treasure has never happened before, despite it being an obvious combination even back in the days of Intrigue's Action-Victory and Treasure-Victory cards. It seems pretty clear to me that Donald X has seen some objections to making them before, and has found a way to overcome those objections now.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:52 am »

There are lots of ways bidding could be used beyond bidding for something at the start and Monopoly-style bidding for cards during the game.

To pick just one example, imagine a bidding-based variant on Torturer: players bid by discarding cards. Any player who folds rather than "seeing" the highest bid gains a Curse, putting it in hand. That could get really interesting, especially when Throned...

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2016, 11:56:51 am »

It seems I have no trouble coming up with semi-sensible ways to do the kinds of thing we're being teased with, beyond the obvious ones. No doubt my ideas would shrivel and die if playtested, though, and Donald X has come up with stuff that's even more awesome.

My random thought for an Event that could cost $14:

Grand Bonfire
As many times as you like: trash a card you have in play, gain 1VP.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2016, 12:00:22 pm »
+3

I imagine the Action Treasure is something like this:

Treasure
Cost: $5

+2 cards

worth $2

You can never draw it dead.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2016, 12:02:37 pm »
+6

I mean it's an Action-Treasure.  If it's in play, it's an Action in play for Peddler.  It's also a Treasure in play for Bank. 

I dont see why it should have different effects if played differently.. 'Played as an Action' or 'Played as a Treasure' doesn't make sense to me.  Though, could behave differently whether it's your Action or Buy phase, that's fine.  But either way, you played both am Action and Treasure, either during your Action phase or during your buy phase.  Counts for all the things it counts for.

If you play it during your Action phase and it, say, doesn't give money, what's the problem?  Still a Treasure played.  HoP doesn't give money.

Of course, I'm just speculating.  I just don't see an issue with that behavior.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2016, 12:04:42 pm »
+1

I imagine the Action Treasure is something like this:

Treasure
Cost: $5

+2 cards

worth $2

You can never draw it dead.

Action-Treasure,  but yeah I don't see any issues with this as it is.  Played during your Buy phase it just let's  you draw during your Buy phase (ideally to play more Treasures).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2016, 12:27:56 pm »
+2

It seems I have no trouble coming up with semi-sensible ways to do the kinds of thing we're being teased with, beyond the obvious ones. No doubt my ideas would shrivel and die if playtested, though, and Donald X has come up with stuff that's even more awesome.

My random thought for an Event that could cost $14:

Grand Bonfire
As many times as you like: trash a card you have in play, gain 1VP.

I choose to do this infinity times.  I trash all my cards in play and gain infinity VP.

(It needs an "if you did" clause!)

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2016, 12:45:18 pm »

I mean it's an Action-Treasure.  If it's in play, it's an Action in play for Peddler.  It's also a Treasure in play for Bank. 

I dont see why it should have different effects if played differently.. 'Played as an Action' or 'Played as a Treasure' doesn't make sense to me.  Though, could behave differently whether it's your Action or Buy phase, that's fine.  But either way, you played both am Action and Treasure, either during your Action phase or during your buy phase.  Counts for all the things it counts for.

If you play it during your Action phase and it, say, doesn't give money, what's the problem?  Still a Treasure played.  HoP doesn't give money.

The parts of your post that I emphasized are what make the most sense to me.  If you play it during your action phase you get the action benefit and the treasure benefit.  If you chose not to use it during your action phase, but only in your buy phase, then you only get the treasure benefit.  Either way the card would always be both an action and a treasure for the purposes of things like Peddler and Bank.  So the result of playing it may change depending on when it is played, but its type never changes.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:47:04 pm by ObtusePunubiris »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »

I second that bidding is part of setup for a certain card. If bidding was part of resolving an action, I feel like it would take up too much time if you, say, KC that action during your turn.

My guess is that it's like bidding in Bridge - everyone claims they'll be able to do something at the start of the game, you get some bonus for making the bid, and some penalty for not making it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »

The parts of your post that I emphasized are what make the most sense to me.  If you play it during your action phase you get the action benefit and the treasure benefit.  If you chose not to use it during your action phase, but only in your buy phase, then you only get the treasure benefit.  Either way the card would always be both an action and a treasure for the purposes of things like Peddler and Bank.  So the result of playing it may change depending on when it is played, but its type never changes.

I don't see a huge benefit to behave differently on different phases.  There's nothing wrong with the version Seprix proposed.  You play it, draw 2 cards, continue with your buy phase as normal.  You're already used to playing and resolving one Treasure at a time.  Even if it gives +Actions, that makes a difference for, e.g., Diadem.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.