Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Teasers!  (Read 108623 times)

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
Re: Teasers!
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 02:15:03 pm »

Hmm?  I mean it doesn't have to be 'played as an Action' or 'played as a Treasure' as different things.  It's just played, as both an Action and a Treasure, whether or not you play it in your Action phase or your Buy phase.

Hah yeah sorry I was agreeing with you. I was trying to think through the other scenarios where "you can't make an action-treasure because it would matter when you play it" actually mattered and was coming up blank. I agree that just being a treasure that you could play during your action or buy phase works fine.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2016, 02:16:25 pm »
+1

I think you people are going to be OK with the bidding as it is. I just have a hunch. And even if you aren't, well, not every game will have it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »

I know I just need to wait until it's released before making any judgments, but that sounds really bad.  I'm imagining a scenario where I begin my turn intending to gain card X, but fail to because I get outbid for it.  Unless I am in control of if/when bidding occurs on my turn, I just don't know if I'd care for that.

Personally, I thought Donald implemented these things in a very thoughtful way.  For me, it makes Dominion more fun, rather than less.

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 02:20:42 pm »

The bidding thing - this is one of the aspects of Empires that I'm not too fond of. Something I love about Dominion is how equal AND isolated the play is. Sure there are attacks and stuff, but everyone has access to exactly the same things. And there's no direct competition for resources other than pile control. So there are parts of Empires that get rid of that, and bidding is one of them.

I know I just need to wait until it's released before making any judgments, but that sounds really bad.  I'm imagining a scenario where I begin my turn intending to gain card X, but fail to because I get outbid for it.  Unless I am in control of if/when bidding occurs on my turn, I just don't know if I'd care for that.

Yeah but I highly doubt that is what it is going to be, although obviously I don't have the information. The entirety of Dominion thus far has been designed towards eliminating politics and that kind of bidding war seems like it would lead to it ("don't let Bob win that bid! he is already winning!" etc)

But even if it is it will likely only be on a few cards or events and you can always just not play with those cards. Like Donald always says (roughly) "there need to be hated cards if there are going to be loved cards"; some people may like the bidding and some may hate it but there are plenty of cards to play with if you hate it!

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »
+3

Like LF, I generally dislike bidding mechanics, but I have no problem with how they are used in Empires.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:43 pm »
+7

All these meanie playtesters, having all their information on things like Ice Cream Sandwich and Demonic Tutor...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »

The bidding thing - this is one of the aspects of Empires that I'm not too fond of. Something I love about Dominion is how equal AND isolated the play is. Sure there are attacks and stuff, but everyone has access to exactly the same things. And there's no direct competition for resources other than pile control. So there are parts of Empires that get rid of that, and bidding is one of them.

But even if it is it will likely only be on a few cards or events and you can always just not play with those cards. Like Donald always says (roughly) "there need to be hated cards if there are going to be loved cards"; some people may like the bidding and some may hate it but there are plenty of cards to play with if you hate it!

Except that I am a huge fan of full random, with all cards available kingdoms.  I would have to hate a card really bad to ban it.  In any event, I'm encouraged by some of the other comments about bidding, so open mind and all that.  Besides, even if I don't like bidding, I'm sure I'll dig everything else about this expansion, just as I have with every other one.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2016, 03:07:26 pm »

What intrigues me the most is the event that costs 14.

Isn't it possible to have kingdoms where it would be impossible to have 14 to spend? Think no terminal draw that allows you to draw more than 2 cards with no non terminal draw and no villages, etc. The event would be redundant in those kingdoms. Unless the event changes the game set up in some way it will always be possible or there is a way of reducing its cost.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1775
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 03:08:19 pm »
+6

Isn't it possible to have kingdoms where it would be impossible to have 14 to spend? Think no terminal draw that allows you to draw more than 2 cards with no non terminal draw and no villages, etc. The event would be redundant in those kingdoms. Unless the event changes the game set up in some way it will always be possible or there is a way of reducing its cost.

You can always draw 5 Golds. And think how happy you'd be, for once!

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2016, 03:13:26 pm »

You can always draw 5 Golds. And think how happy you'd be, for once!

Doh, brain not working today. When I thought about it my brain was going 5*3 is 12 for some reason.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »

Hmm.. with more expensive 'buy' targets coming in through way of Events, has anyone taken to modifying the rule for when to include Platinum and Colonies? 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 04:34:29 pm »
+7

What's Intruigues me the most is cards with multiple types and cards that present choices when played.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +293
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 05:10:02 pm »
+1

Dominion: Empires has:

- 76 pieces of card art.
- 60 VP symbols.
- 16 red hexagons.
- 10 uses of "Setup."
- 2 Duration cards.
- 2 ways to trash cards from the Supply.
- An Action-Treasure card.
- An Event costing $14.
- A way to double your money.
- A way to bid.
Oddly enough, the Duration cards still stand out more than anything else on this list!!!

PLEASE OH PLEASE let there be more Alayna Lemmer art. I love her stuff so much.
Can you list some specific cards that stand out that Alayna Lemmer did the art for?

EDIT: clarification
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:11:52 pm by ackmondual »
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:34 pm »
+1

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2016, 05:48:49 pm »
+13

All these meanie playtesters, having all their information on things like Ice Cream Sandwich and Demonic Tutor...
It would certainly be great for me personally if, from this point on, people who know stuff about the unpublished unspoiled cards could manage somehow to not talk about them.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »

I think the bidding and the doubling are probably linked:
Like, at the start of your turn, you may bid an amount. If you have (done something) at least that many times by the start of your buy phase, double your coin.

That would be OK.

Maybe it would have to be an exact bid of something. That way crazy big turns don't get doubled so easily because you might go over the limit.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2016, 05:56:48 pm »

Maybe it would have to be an exact bid of something. That way crazy big turns don't get doubled so easily because you might go over the limit.

More importantly, if it's not an exact bid, why would you ever bid anything over zero? You get the same effect (doubling your coin) regardless, but bidding more just makes it strictly more difficult to get.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2016, 06:04:22 pm »

More importantly, if it's not an exact bid, why would you ever bid anything over zero? You get the same effect (doubling your coin) regardless, but bidding more just makes it strictly more difficult to get.
Derp. True. I was trying to generalise a slightly more specific idea that didnt have that issue, but had its own issues.  Anyway. Yeah. An exact bid.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »
+1

I think am most intrigued in the "2 ways to trash cards from the supply". That really enhances the chance of a quick 3-pile ending.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »
+1

Admittedly, there are plenty of ways to get to $14 on a turn, but do you think it could be possible that we will get a new treasure that gives you $6 or 7$ similar to Platinum coming out with Colonies?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2016, 06:19:34 pm »
+4

I'm guessing the Landmarks are the bidding thing.  Each Landmark has a unique effect like "At the start of each of your turns, +1 card".  At the start of the game, you put out n Landmarks for n players (if you draw a random Empires card from the 10 kingdom cards, like determining whether to play with Shelters or Platinum/Colonies).  Then, players bid VP on an available Landmark.  You take turns bidding (like in Evo and probably other games that use that mechanic) until one player is stuck with the last Landmark for 0 VP.  Everyone else starts the game with negative VP equal to their bid, and whatever Landmark they won.

I don't think the bidding will be for cards in the game.  Possibly for events, but I sort of doubt that too.  It would slow the game down a lot and might feel unfair if the bidding happens at the wrong time (on a bad hand or whatever).  Bidding is a totally new mechanic and Landmarks are a totally new thing, so it would make sense that they go together.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »
+1

Admittedly, there are plenty of ways to get to $14 on a turn, but do you think it could be possible that we will get a new treasure that gives you $6 or 7$ similar to Platinum coming out with Colonies?

Have a Gold and two Silvers? Just double your money. Bam $14. I hope this event is called Inflation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2016, 08:52:42 pm »

Derp. True. I was trying to generalise a slightly more specific idea that didnt have that issue, but had its own issues.  Anyway. Yeah. An exact bid.

It could be something that doubles the amount you bid if you succeed.  Bid high (or all in) for high risk, high reward.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2016, 10:08:44 pm »
+2

It would certainly be great for me personally if, from this point on, people who know stuff about the unpublished unspoiled cards could manage somehow to not talk about them.

To be fair to all of them, the only thing they've said in this thread is "Guys, don't freak out about $mechanism.  Trust Donald."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »

uh bidding should be interesting. I like it in other games, though I wonder how it can work in Dominion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.