Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: horn of plenty  (Read 2798 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: horn of plenty
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:48 am »
+1

the classic. the card that makes any dumb engine feasible, the one that doesn't necessarily care if there's villages, the one that makes you buy one or two cards you wouldn't have otherwise, the one that is superbusted with madman. suuuuuuuuperbusted.

-when do you start getting this over, say, stables? (hint: early)
-how do you play when you have 4 to your oppponent's 6 horns?
-does storyteller love it or hate it?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: horn of plenty
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »

Storyteller can absolutely hate this card. It doesn't give draw. But Horn doesn't care. Horn doesn't care about anything. Horn will just gain that card regardless. As a player, don't play Horn to Storyteller unless you enough cards in play to gain something. It's a useful tactic to do when you're approaching a shuffle and you want that one extra card to draw.

With Horn games, if you lose the Horn split, try to end the game as quickly as possible. The more gains Horn gets to use, the better the other player gets. You will absolutely not win the long term game, but you can possibly squeak out a short term win.

Horn is best to get early. If you get it late, sure it's a good card and it doesn't care when you get it, but it's best to get it early.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:53:43 am »
+1

Horn of Plenty is one of my favourite cards, but's a card I've had a hard time getting my IRL opponents to buy. 

Them:  Why would I want that, it has a 0 on it.
Me:  OK, but say if you play a Spy, then a Smithy, then your coppers and a silver, you can play Horn to get a 5 cost card, and then still buy something else
Them:  Ya, but if I buy a Gold instead, I can just buy more Gold with it

One time on a board with Horn and a lot of Cantrips, I used Horns to empty the Horns and build a deck that could easily draw itself, and grabbed every Province in one turn.  The next game Horn came around they still wouldn't go for it.  I guess it's a card with a value that is difficult to see for new players. 

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:52:52 am »
+1

Horn of Plenty is one of my favourite cards, but's a card I've had a hard time getting my IRL opponents to buy. 

Them:  Why would I want that, it has a 0 on it.
Me:  OK, but say if you play a Spy, then a Smithy, then your coppers and a silver, you can play Horn to get a 5 cost card, and then still buy something else
Them:  Ya, but if I buy a Gold instead, I can just buy more Gold with it

One time on a board with Horn and a lot of Cantrips, I used Horns to empty the Horns and build a deck that could easily draw itself, and grabbed every Province in one turn.  The next game Horn came around they still wouldn't go for it.  I guess it's a card with a value that is difficult to see for new players.

I don't know. If I saw a card do all of that, I'd want to learn about it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 09:24:54 am »

With Horn games, if you lose the Horn split, try to end the game as quickly as possible. The more gains Horn gets to use, the better the other player gets. You will absolutely not win the long term game, but you can possibly squeak out a short term win.

If horns pile is empty then you could laugh opponents engine fizzles from too many horns. Without alt-vp buying ifth horn is mistake. Standard strategy is get four horns and province on that turn and 5 provinces on next one which gives decisive point lead. A province that turn serves to reduce risk of three piling as it doesn't matter if you use buy for province or horn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.