Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Online-Only Cards: can they happen?  (Read 22628 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Online-Only Cards: can they happen?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 05:41:42 pm »
+1

These two do the same thing with different wording, unless you mean for there to be a finite number of Duchies that can be added.  I'm not sure which wording is better.  I initially leaned towards the second, but I think the first is more in keeping with Dominion wording.

They don't do the exact same thing. The first one doesn't let you gain a Duchy unless there already is a Duchy in the Supply before you play it (and it certainly doesn't work for kingdom cards that aren't present in the game, unlike the latter wording).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 05:50:09 pm »

These two do the same thing with different wording, unless you mean for there to be a finite number of Duchies that can be added.  I'm not sure which wording is better.  I initially leaned towards the second, but I think the first is more in keeping with Dominion wording.

They don't do the exact same thing. The first one doesn't let you gain a Duchy unless there already is a Duchy in the Supply before you play it (and it certainly doesn't work for kingdom cards that aren't present in the game, unlike the latter wording).

Oh, fair enough.  Still seems like a small enough distinction that it would be better to go with one consistent wording.

Weird thing: the post you quoted seems to have disappeared from the thread, but it still appears in the Topic Summary when writng a reply.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:51:33 pm by eHalcyon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »

Weird thing: the post you quoted seems to have disappeared from the thread, but it still appears in the Topic Summary when writng a reply.  :-\

That's actually why I replied (to mark this thread as unread), and then I saw your post so I replied to that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 10:09:42 am »
+1

Entropy Knight - Action Attack - 4c
Every other player reveals the top two cards of their deck, chooses a revealed Action card to gain the Whatever type, and then discards all the revealed cards.
(When you play cards with the Whatever type, there is a 50% chance of their effect being "+1 Card +1 Action" instead of their expected effect.)

I was joking here, but I'm happy that Dominion is getting a way to entropize Action cards.  ;D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 02:25:59 pm »
+1

Truce
$3 - Reaction
When another player plays an Attack card, you may trash this from your hand.  If you do, that specific Attack card doesn't and won't affect you for the rest of the game.

Note: if you somehow gain that specific card (e.g. Masquerade, Amb, Graverobber) then it's just a dead card in your deck.

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »

eHalcyon, Masquerade isn't an attack, and you could do that by setting aside a card from the supply with a dove token etc.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 04:08:40 pm »
+1

eHalcyon, Masquerade isn't an attack, and you could do that by setting aside a card from the supply with a dove token etc.

Does this help:

Note: if you somehow (e.g. Masquerade, Amb, Graverobber) gain that specific card  then it's just a dead card in your deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 04:39:22 pm »

Truce neutralizes a specific card, as in that specific copy of that card.  You have two Militias, you play one, I use Truce on it.  Now every time you play that Militia, it doesn't affect me... but your other Militia still does.

Masquerade is a means of gaining a card that another player currently owns, not a card that would be affected by Truce.  Suppose I play Masquerade now and you pass me the copy of Militia that I used Truce on before.  Now I own that Militia, but Truce said that it doesn't affect me when it is played.  So if I play that Militia, it doesn't give me +$2.  Now that I think about it though, I suppose it would still cause you to discard, so it's not entirely dead in your deck.

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 09:06:04 am »

Duh. Sorry, completely misunderstood what that sentence was saying.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:22 pm »
+2

New online-only idea: Backtracking!

No more not daring to look at your hand before it's your turn in a Possession game, because you don't know if you'll play a normal or possessed turn with that hand. With BT-Possession your hand, deck, and other cards are restored to the same configuration afterwards, so you will get to play this hand. In fact, while being Possessed you will gain some handy information, like what's on the top of your deck.

(But what if you for example Masquerade a card during your BT-Possessed turn? No worry, the backtracker will magically find an extra copy for you. And the card that (possessed) you got during that turn is totally gone. BT-Possession doesn't need to say anything special about your cards being trashed, because you get them back as part of the normal backtracking.)

-*-

BT-Possession only restores the situation for one player (which is why it can change the total number of cards). There's also the possibility to go back in time for everyone: There's the Let's Try That Again! Event that you can buy for $7 when everything seems lost. "Restore the total game state to what it was after the first N turns, except that N is one higher. At the beginning of the game N=0. You can't buy this until after turn N".

So the first time it's like a total replay, but then more and more of the game gets fixed, until defeat is unavoidable.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 03:19:14 am »

Taking a cue from Age Of Rivals... individual values on cards get modified throughout the game. If you tried this in IRL Dominion, you'd need a sharpie, or a sticker to change value of each of the cards.

Action portion, +$4
Reaction
Instead of taking a Curse, this card now produces 1 less coin.  If it produces $0, trash this

Another is an effect that depends on how many Victory cards each player has in their hand, deck, and discard.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:29 pm »

A card could access hidden information (like the number of a certain type of card in your deck) and produce a resource based on that. For example:

Collectible
Treasure - $7
Worth $1 per Collectible you have.
This one could be tracked in IRL Dominion by including "Collectible" tokens that you take when gaining a Collectible and return when losing the Collectible to the Supply, Trash, or Opponent's Hand.

Edit: should've read the whole thread first. eHalcyon already pointed this out
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:28:58 pm by FemurLemur »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »
+1

Gardener
$5 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a non-Victory card. Discarded card gains Victory type, and is worth 1vp at the end of the game.
Who trashes the trashers?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:39 am »
+1

Gardener
$5 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a non-Victory card. Discarded card gains Victory type, and is worth 1vp at the end of the game.
This partly fixes the problem of non-terminal cards that gain VPs as you gotta discard and as the maximum of VPs that you can gain via this card is (below) the size of your deck. Nonetheless it might be too automatic in many Kingdoms.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2018, 02:27:11 pm »
+6

Quantum Entanglement
Action - $4
+1 card
+1 action
Randomly choose another person who is not one of your opponents but who is currently playing Dominion. If the top card of their deck is a(n)...
Victory, +1 Card
Action, +1 Action
Treasure, +1 $

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »

Okay, I just thought of something that I'm pretty sure is impossible to simulate exactly IRL but also could actually lead to an interesting design space: What about weird constraints on shuffling?

Glue
Action - $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
During cleanup, set aside this and 2 other cards from play or your hand. When you shuffle, return the 3 set-aside cards to your deck. After shuffling, the 3 cards must be adjacent to each other in your deck.

I'm 99% sure you can't do this without a computer.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2018, 03:21:50 pm »

Okay, I just thought of something that I'm pretty sure is impossible to simulate exactly IRL but also could actually lead to an interesting design space: What about weird constraints on shuffling?

Glue
Action - $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
During cleanup, set aside this and 2 other cards from play or your hand. When you shuffle, return the 3 set-aside cards to your deck. After shuffling, the 3 cards must be adjacent to each other in your deck.

I'm 99% sure you can't do this without a computer.

Not exactly, but kind of close:

Physical Glue, $3, Action (Numbered 1 to 10)
If you have cards set aside under this card's token, shuffle them and this, then put the shuffled cards onto your deck in the shuffled order.
+1 Card
+1 Action
---
When you discard this from play, set two cards from your hand aside under its token.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2018, 09:18:30 pm »

Quantum Entanglement
Action - $4
+1 card
+1 action
Randomly choose another person who is not one of your opponents but who is currently playing Dominion. If the top card of their deck is a(n)...
Victory, +1 Card
Action, +1 Action
Treasure, +1 $

This might be too strong if someone had a Spy in that other game (“sure, I’d leave my Victory card on my deck for you”).

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:17 pm »
+4

Time Warp
Event - $8

Once Per Game: Rewind the game to the start of your last turn. 

ClouduHieh

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: ClouduHieh
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2018, 12:44:05 am »

My original warden I guess would of only worked if it was only online. It originally let you react once for each differently named attack. There were complaints that you couldn’t keep track by writing it down. But you wouldn’t need to because the online dominion would kept track for you.

Warden was a reaction that let reveal it blocking each differently named attack played and getting +1 Card each time. Which meant if they played goons and another player played giant and then another player played swamp hag you would’ve gotten block them and draw 3 cards. But keeping track of all the attacks played would have been difficult and keeping track of it by writing it wasn’t allowed. However dominion online would have kept track of it for you and only let you react when it was new attack only.

buckets

• Scout
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:15 am »

To get a random card, just make something like a Black Market deck. Shuffle it, put it face down, and gain the top card.
I might just start playing Black Market like this with my friends lol

buckets

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2018, 01:38:12 am »

Also it seems to me that a major benefit of "online only" cards is that they do not have to keep the player honest.

buckets

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2018, 02:16:42 am »

How about a treasure that's worth the average $value of the cards in your deck?

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:26 am »
+1

How about a treasure that's worth the average $value of the cards in your deck?
Venture already does that to some degree.

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2018, 10:38:40 am »

Also it seems to me that a major benefit of "online only" cards is that they do not have to keep the player honest.

You're not wrong.

Generally "online only" is just a larger design space than Dominion's paper implementation and "no honesty required" rules allow.

The two benefits you have is you can build cards that require people to be honest, or cards that require a lot of tracking.

For instance, if I built a card like so:

Stock Market - $5 - Action
+$2
+$1 per Victory card you've bought since you last played Stock Market
-$1 per Stock Market you've played since the last time you played this Stock Market

Have fun with tracking that :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.