Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Online-Only Cards: can they happen?  (Read 22621 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Online-Only Cards: can they happen?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:06 pm »
+12

Dark Sensei
$4 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice. Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that is not an Action. Put all of your revealed cards into your hand.

We'll never see anything like this in a physical set, thank God.

That's literally Scrying Pool.

That's the joke.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 03:03:18 pm »

Dark Sensei
$4 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice. Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal one that is not an Action. Put all of your revealed cards into your hand.

We'll never see anything like this in a physical set, thank God.

That's literally Scrying Pool.

That's the joke.

I was explaining the joke.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »
+3

Something that references something that's not related to the Kingdom or in-game stuff:

Handicap
$3 - Treasure
Worth ⌊$100/((your Iso-rating) - (lowest Iso-rating))⌋

Insomniac
$5 - Victory
Worth (number of games you've won in the past 24 hours) - (number of games you've lost in the past 24 hours) VP, but not less than 0.

Moneyspender
$7 - Action
+1 Action per set you own
+1 Card per Promo you own

etc.

Oh and there's also Seasons, which would be a real pain to have to keep track of IRL, although not impossible.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:31:56 pm by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 04:39:47 pm »
+17

Noble Intentions
$4 - Event
Take another turn after this one, in which Lord Bottington makes all of your decisions.
(Lord Bottington will never buy this Event.)

Regent
$5 - Action-Attack
+$3
Each other player immediately takes an extra turn, in which Lord Bottington makes all of that player's decisions.

Setup: Add the Rats pile to the Supply.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 05:02:39 pm »
+5

One of the simpler changes is that players don't need to reveal their hands. The online system will enforce the rules without the players needing to show their honesty.

The draw deck seems to be a potential area for new cards. You could have a venture that takes the top treasure card from the draw deck without changing the rest of the draw deck. You could have a counting house that takes all the copper from the draw deck instead of the discard pile. You could have a pearl diver that lets you look at the bottom card of the deck and then choose to reverse the ordering of the entire draw deck.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 05:11:58 pm »
+9

Noble Intentions
$4 - Event
Take another turn after this one, in which Lord Bottington makes all of your decisions.

This one. Make it a promo, make it optional, make it happen only on April 1st, but please make it happen.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 05:22:26 pm »

One of the simpler changes is that players don't need to reveal their hands. The online system will enforce the rules without the players needing to show their honesty.

The draw deck seems to be a potential area for new cards. You could have a venture that takes the top treasure card from the draw deck without changing the rest of the draw deck. You could have a counting house that takes all the copper from the draw deck instead of the discard pile. You could have a pearl diver that lets you look at the bottom card of the deck and then choose to reverse the ordering of the entire draw deck.

The only thing is that outside the Venture, all of those aren't very good at all. And that Venture idea will have to cost $6.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »
+1

Noble Intentions
$4 - Event

This one. Make it a promo, make it optional, make it happen only on April 1st, but please make it happen.

It sounds like a RBCI, but I really think it could work.  If you can trust that Lord Bottington won't totally destroy your deck, it can work out by providing additional cycling and an extra gain (that is hopefully useful).  With some simple decks, you could expect it to be even better.  Note that you can buy multiples and have all of them take effect, even if you've had multiple turns already (e.g. you can get the Bottington turn even after Mission/Outpost).

I wonder if Lord Bottington will be in the new implementation.  This Event would be much less fun if the AI becomes too competent.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:34:00 pm by eHalcyon »

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 08:50:59 pm »
+1

Moneyspender
$7 - Action
+1 Action per set you own
+1 Card per Promo you own.

Or you could have a card that you actually pay to make it better for yourself. Or one that's really good but you have to pay MF (or Shuffle iT) $1 whenever you play it.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 10:21:24 pm »

Noble Intentions
$4 - Event

Note that you can buy multiples and have all of them take effect, even if you've had multiple turns already (e.g. you can get the Bottington turn even after Mission/Outpost).

This would probably need to have a "once per turn" clause.  It'd be a bit too easy to get $16 and four buys and just buy this four times.  I'm guessing Lord Bottington won't pass up Provinces.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 12:19:42 am »
+2

Noble Intentions
$4 - Event

Note that you can buy multiples and have all of them take effect, even if you've had multiple turns already (e.g. you can get the Bottington turn even after Mission/Outpost).

This would probably need to have a "once per turn" clause.  It'd be a bit too easy to get $16 and four buys and just buy this four times.  I'm guessing Lord Bottington won't pass up Provinces.

You still need to make a deck where Lord Bottington is able to reach Province.  Note that if you have $16 and 4 buys, you could have just reliably bought 2 Provinces yourself.  If you have a deck strong enough and simple enough for Bottington to reach $8 on each of his four turns, I think you deserve your 2 extra Provinces.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 02:27:00 pm »
+2

This is the one I came up with a while back. It let's you to know if you're winning or not if you're bad at counting cards like I am.

Canary
Action -
+2 Action
If the game were to end immediately...
If any opponent has more victory points than you, +1 Card and you may trash one card
If all opponents have more victory points than you, +1 Card and you may trash one card

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 03:38:37 pm »
+1

A good online only card would be that one with a highly difficult cheatcheck that people told me I couldn't make.  It had the downside that if you discarded it from your hand without playing it, something bad would happen, so IRL you could just tuck it under an Estate and discard it at the end of your turn.

I had a funner balanced design I can't remember, but a rough example would be

3$ Jungle Miner
+1 Buy
If you discard this during Cleanup, gain a Curse.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 03:54:53 pm »

This is the one I came up with a while back. It let's you to know if you're winning or not if you're bad at counting cards like I am.

Canary
Action -
+2 Action
If the game were to end immediately...
If any opponent has more victory points than you, +1 Card and you may trash one card
If all opponents have more victory points than you, +1 Card and you may trash one card

In some cases, that would reward players that are thin and winning.  So like say I Remake my Estates early, and my opponent has to Remake Coppers.  I am ahead, and this card will make me ahead by even more.  And I don't like that mechanic.  Of course, there would be cases when you're behind and then it helps you, which is what it seems like you're intending it to do.  But only sometimes.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2016, 04:42:15 pm »

Irongamer
Action - Attack -$4

+1 action

If you run Online Dominion on...

...OS X, +1$
...Linux, all Action cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0
...iOS, your opponent chooses a pile from the supply. You may not buy cards from that pile this turn
...Android, +1 card

Each player who runs Online Dominion on Windows gains a Curse.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2016, 06:13:43 pm »
+4

Matthew Fisher (Caltech/Stanford/Hertz fellowship) built an AI that evaluates new cards on the fly.

If you haven't seen it, check it out here:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/~mdfisher/DominionAI.html#EvaluatingNewCards

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:40 pm »
+1

Matthew Fisher (Caltech/Stanford/Hertz fellowship) built an AI that evaluates new cards on the fly.

If you haven't seen it, check it out here:
https://graphics.stanford.edu/~mdfisher/DominionAI.html#EvaluatingNewCards

Extremely cool.
It looks terrible at tactics, though. I suspect simple three-piling and penultimate-provincing are not even considered in the code.
And vp-tokens, by the look of its dominant strategy for the Goons board.
It also doesn't react at all to its opponent.

The approach is very promising, though.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2016, 08:07:52 am »

Something bad:

Lemmings, $4, Victory
Worth 5 VP if you own more Lemmings than any other player at the end of the game.
(This pile has infinite cards)

The only thing is that outside the Venture, all of those aren't very good at all. And that Venture idea will have to cost $6.

Why should it cost more than original Venture when it's worse usually? Taking a certain kind of card from your draw deck without cycling or reordering is weaker than with one of those. The fact you can only use such an effect once per shuffle can balance it nicely.

Edit: It might be applicable for VP cards, though:
Boy Scout, $4, Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Put the upmost Victory card from your deck in your discard pile.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:10:04 am by Asper »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 02:11:20 pm »
+3

Philosopher's Stone.  ::)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
+1

Ooh, a "choose now for next time" Pawn. First time you play it, it's a market and you choose 2 of the bonuses. Each time you play it after that you get to bonus chosen last time, and choose new bonuses.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
+2

One thing that could kinda work could be cards that let you get more than 10 copies of a specific Action card.

A really cool one could be adding "status effects" to cards, like poisoning, freezing or whatever:

Poisoner - Action Attack - 5c
+1 coin
+1 Buy
Every other player reveals cards from their Deck until they reveal an Action or Treasure card. That card gets the Poisoned type.
Discard all the revealed cards.
(when you play a poisoned card, you first gain a Curse)

Ice queen - Action - 4c
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Play it three times, and then it gets the Frozen type.
(cards with the frozen type won't have any effect the next time they are played, and then they lose the Frozen type)

Entropy Knight - Action Attack - 4c
Every other player reveals the top two cards of their deck, chooses a revealed Action card to gain the Whatever type, and then discards all the revealed cards.
(When you play cards with the Whatever type, there is a 50% chance of their effect being "+1 Card +1 Action" instead of their expected effect.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:08:30 am by Accatitippi »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »

Why did you post that like 5 times?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2016, 07:39:59 am »
+7

Why did you post that like 5 times?

I posted it in while f.ds was going down. I could read threads, but when I tried to post this the page would freeze (and the post would not appear on reloading). So I did the only logical thing I could do and tried 4 more times.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 10:51:19 am »

Repository - Victory - $5
Worth 1VP for every $20 of the total cost of all the cards in your deck.
(round down)

Kind of bad wording, and not really online-only, but would be a real pain to count irl.

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 04:55:55 am »

It might be fun to have a card that can enlarge other piles, so you could have the power to make the game last longer. Some ideas:

Investment (Event)
Choose an Action supply pile. Add as many of these cards to that pile as you did during Setup.

New Territory (Action)
+2 Cards. Gain a Duchy. Add a Duchy to its pile.

School (Action)
Gain a Laboratory from outside the supply (there are infinite Laboratories outside the supply).

Edit: Oh, thats what Accatitippi said.
One thing that could kinda work could be cards that let you get more than 10 copies of a specific Action card.
But anyways it could be fun I think.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:12:22 am by market squire »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.