Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Early Adventures Impressions  (Read 26840 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Early Adventures Impressions
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
+2

If you draw CR and no village your toast. Putting +Action on CR means you're playing your deck every turn. This might not be so if +Action is on Goons.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »
+1

I only play Dominion offline, but I find it amusing to read other people's "early" impressions.

I think that the Peasant ==> Teacher line is overrated. The potential of the card is insane, but it is quite slow.
Coin of the Realm seems underrated, I think that card is absolutely insane, borderline broken.

I have a problem with the Page ==> Hero line. If you get lucky and trash your opponents Warrior with your Warrior then the game is basically over. There is no recovery from that.
Yeah, getting your Treasure Hunter or Warrior trashed is really hard to recover from.  I've found that if Hero is really important, then you should really get at least two Pages (and I've never had the misfortune of losing them both).  The problem is that the more Pages you get, the more you junk your deck with silver, which slows Hero down a lot.

In my experience, Teacher is faster than Hero.  What makes Teacher difficult is having a plan for those tokens.  I've had a few games where I got Teacher, but didn't have any decent targets for tokens.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2016, 08:46:16 pm »
+4

I find that I'm very sad when a game starts up and there are no Adventures cards or Events.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »
+1

I only play Dominion offline, but I find it amusing to read other people's "early" impressions.

I think that the Peasant ==> Teacher line is overrated. The potential of the card is insane, but it is quite slow.
Coin of the Realm seems underrated, I think that card is absolutely insane, borderline broken.

I have a problem with the Page ==> Hero line. If you get lucky and trash your opponents Warrior with your Warrior then the game is basically over. There is no recovery from that.
Yeah, getting your Treasure Hunter or Warrior trashed is really hard to recover from.  I've found that if Hero is really important, then you should really get at least two Pages (and I've never had the misfortune of losing them both).  The problem is that the more Pages you get, the more you junk your deck with silver, which slows Hero down a lot.

In my experience, Teacher is faster than Hero.  What makes Teacher difficult is having a plan for those tokens.  I've had a few games where I got Teacher, but didn't have any decent targets for tokens.

Why get Teacher if there aren't good targets?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »

Love the set so far - I'm not seeing many limited use cards.  There's some Events that are a bit wonky, but Events don't take up any room in the Supply - if there's a dud event, who cares.

Duplicate/Rebuild seems insanely good.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:16 pm »
+5

It builds character.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
+1

It builds character.

He's my favorite character in that comic strip.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 10:07:42 pm »
+3

Be very careful if you are ending the game on a Page or Peasant pileout that you don't exchange a Peasant or Page you just played.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 02:48:03 am »
+1

Be very careful if you are ending the game on a Page or Peasant pileout that you don't exchange a Peasant or Page you just played.

Another thing: If your plan is to win by a 3-pile which includes pages, do not mindlessly click "resolve all" after the pileout if you have four pages in play....

I did that too! We're both pros.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »
+4

You can trash with Amulet before calling Guide. Also Guide is just great against any hand size reducers.

Can't wait to see a Coin of the Realm + Cultist game. Seems like it's finally possible to easily build an engine around Cultists that way.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 01:17:23 pm »

You can trash with Amulet before calling Guide. Also Guide is just great against any hand size reducers.

Can't wait to see a Coin of the Realm + Cultist game. Seems like it's finally possible to easily build an engine around Cultists that way.

It has always been possible to build an engine around Cultists. CotR probably makes it easier though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »
+1

Guide is also a nice buy in the midgame with leftover $3 and a spare buy if there are no other decent cards you want for $3 (eg only Silver). Even if you dont use it for quite some time and it just sits on your mat it might be very valuable in the endgame to skip a dud Hand. It's like youre buying lategame insurance with midgame spare $3.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
+1

It has always been possible to build an engine around Cultists. CotR probably makes it easier though.
I know, but so often it's just better to go into money afterwards. With coin you can do stuff after drawing.. also, that's why I wrote easily ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:38:40 pm by assemble_me »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:13 pm »
+1

I have not played with all the cards yet. But I really like this "new" set, adds exactly what I like in dominion : crazy creative strategies.
Cards played :
Coin of the realm - I used it to enable a conspirator chain, knowing it would probably be pretty bad. It wasn't that bad, probably because of the weakness of the board. It's a very cool card, I like the combination between weak money + good effect.
Raze - Insanely fun.
Amulet - Good duration card. Give the same feeling as pawn, squire or steward about choices.
Guide - I really like reserve cards. Guide is one of the most representative. I like how it counters attack.
Duplicate - I used it in an IGG game. I don't know if it's a good tactic or not... my opponent won because of 5/2 opening anyway.
Messenger - Right now, I applied the on-gain effect only on silver. I can see how this effect could be used well, but that would be still very situationnal I think. I like it, because I like chancellor effects.
Miser - A card I have dreamt about. Donald X did it. Very cool.
Ranger - That's draw. We always need draw.
Transmogrify - I love this card, even if I almost only used it to trash junk...
Artificer - Strong and funny card. Really like it.
Bridge troll - I don't see what this card add to the game. Attack is rather boring, and otherwise that's just a duration bridge, which doesn't seem very interesting to me. Bridge or highway are more straightforward.
Giant - I think I like it because it's probably a weak attack.
Haunted woods - I like. Curious to see it in more games, to see how strong (or not) is the attack. I guess in some context, it's a very strong card.
Storyteller - Wow. Amazing crazy draw. I used it with silver flooding in a raid in a game, and feodum in another game. And big deck generally. A surprise.
Swamp Hag - Like. Attacks in adventures seems to be weaker than in other sets : that's good.
Treasure trove - I've seen it in many games, and it always was strong. I don't understand why.
Wine merchant - Reserve card, I like reserve cards.
Hireling - I used it in a game just for the fun of buying an adventure card. Nice card.

About events, I will only say that Ferry + altar + Duke is lot of fun.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2016, 08:19:25 pm »
+5

Alms/Miser is pretty strong, since it lets you build up your engine while powering up Miser.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2016, 02:03:29 am »
+1

King's Court + Haunted Woods is amazing to build an engine around.  I mean, KC makes so many things amazing.  But with HW, if you can KC one every turn you can pretty much guarantee not having a dud hand, ever.  And you mostly just have to line up KC and HW once to get going, provided you have at least one other KC and one other HW to play the next turn.

Edit: I was thinking, which is stronger, KC+HW or KC+Wharf?  My gut tells me Wharf because of the +Buys but man, drawing 9 cards at the start of your turn, well that's equivalent to... three Princed Smithies!  That's pretty great right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:02:46 pm by jaybeez »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »
+1

Trade / Mountebank is pretty great, because you already opened Silver / Silver to afford Mountebank. After you bought 2 Mountebank, you are more than willing to spend $5 on trashing 1 Curse and getting a Silver, and sometimes you'll even get to trash 2 cards for $5. Your deck becomes basically full of Silver and you're able to spike $8 pretty regularly.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2016, 08:38:20 am »

Triple gear seems to be somewhere along the same lines of Council Room BM, not sure where exactly
Treasure Trove can give you nice TfB food if you can handle the Coppers
Storyteller is a strange, strange card and I still can't tell when it's really good.
Seems like Treasure Trove is a natural fit for Storyteller because it likes having money in the deck and you can gain Copper + Gold mid turn and draw them later. Coin of the Realm also works well with it, probably.
... Black Market + Coin of the Realm is pretty awesome since you can use the Coin on the BM buy and immediately call it.
Travellers seem to be pretty dominant, you just have to go for Peasant/Page most of the time. The tough question is going to be when to not go for them

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:28 am »

Caravan Guard and Possession seem to be interesting.

As CG gives money on your next turn with Possession in the kingdom, it brings in a lot of mind games and trying to second guess when your opponent can play there Possession. Also when you have a Caravan Guard in a Possessed hand, do you treat it as a dead card or play it knowing you are giving your opponent money to spend on their next turn.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

Caravan Guard and Possession seem to be interesting.

As CG gives money on your next turn with Possession in the kingdom, it brings in a lot of mind games and trying to second guess when your opponent can play there Possession. Also when you have a Caravan Guard in a Possessed hand, do you treat it as a dead card or play it knowing you are giving your opponent money to spend on their next turn.

This is pretty much the same as any Duration card with Possession, except maybe the duration attacks.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:26 pm »
+7

how to win at online dominion: pay more attention to events than your opponent.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2016, 06:53:04 pm »
+4

Now I have played all the cards. Funnily, the last two cards to have appeared were the travellers : Page and Peasant were in the same kingdom the first time I played with them. That was too many cards to learn at once. That game was stupid.

Cards I like the most :
I love almost the whole set actually. I hope some cards won't appear to be broken, like Cultist in dark ages (loved it at first, then started to dominate too many games). Right now, all attacks seems to be on the weak side, that's a thing I like a lot. So, Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods are both very interesting. Swamp Hag is close to torturer about the "psychological" attack : sometimes the best move is to buy nothing. That's hard to accept but that's life. Or sometimes you have to take those three curses but it's worth it. Also, this card may have influence late game (penultimate province rule), that curse can make the difference.
I really like Guide. Discarding that bad hand feels so good. And I love transmogrify : take a time to think before starting each turn.
And I already said, Raze is so much fun.
So, let's say Swamp Hag, Guide, Transmogrify.
For the events : Those that add token to a supply pile are absolutely amazing and they are the funniest thing adventures brought us imo. I like Plan and Inheritance a lot too. Also, travelling fair, but I don't have used it well yet.

Cards I dislike :
Relic. I think you often want one, then it's an automatic attack you even don't have to think about. Can be really boring and doesn't add that much to the game. Bridge troll enable funny mega-turn games, but I don't see any reason the attack is there, like scrying pool it's a useless added power.
The fact that warrior can trash warrior bothers me a lot.
All events are cool.

Cards I don't understand at all :
Distant lands. Like Harem, it seems to be something you have to buy somewhere mid-game. Early game you have to build a little. Late game these probably worth nothing. I don't find situations where you really want Distant Lands, except weak boards with no target $5. But maybe I'm completely wrong because 4 points, hey, that's a lot. I don't know. But Island is more straightforward and seems better for me : good pseudo trashing + better opportunity cost + still worth something if you don't play it.
I like the concept of distant lands though, and I look forward to use it with ironmonger/highway+ironworks/Crossroads/evenscout and these things.
Also, the Page line. So, you gain a lot of treasures (which is at the same time a defense against warrior) then you have an amazing bonus for action cards ? Interestingly weird. Maybe it's not always worth the pain to go for the champion, maybe it's better to just stop at hero or treasure hunter. I don't know. Treasure hunter + Feodum in mirror would be crazy.

Strong cards :
I think the strongest card of the set is Treasure Trove. I agree that any board with treasure trove makes some BM strategy viable. For now, all the games that had treasure trove in it were treasure trove + something games. Then I would say Magpie and the Peasant line.
For events : Ferry is ridiculously cheap and you very often want to but it early.

Weak cards :
From my experience, Journey token cards (Giant and Ranger) were mostly trap, but in theory I would say they are ok, because cursing and draw are always good. Caravan guard is not amazing. But miser might be underrated I think. But no real weak cards overall I guess.

Other thoughts :
- I like how a few cards enable silver flooding a lot more than in previous sets (when we had masterpiece and trader mainly). Storyteller + Raid is awesome. Then we have Amulet, Treasure trove and Treasure Hunter. So, feodum gets better.
- I wonder how good or not is to set aside a lot of duplicates and/or royal carriage and go for megaturn. That was a trap in Guilds, when some people (including me) thought keeping coin tokens and go for megaturn was the best strategy.
- Do you think rats-ratcatcher is faster than ratcatcher only ? I would be pretty disappointed if this is a nombo.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
+2

Spy+Peasant is an interesting interaction I hadn't noticed. Spy is a cantrip attack, powering up Soldier with each play; Spy can help discard your opponent's Travellers, and Spy is also a good target for the eventual +Card token (or maybe +Coin if you already draw enough). It's probably not strong enough to call it a combo, but it's definitely a reason to not ignore Spy (which is fairly uncommon).
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
+4

perhaps the big thing i've noticed is that there are quite a few of the cool engine kingdoms now. like, there aren't really any slog cards (swamp hag can really only give a lot of curses if a player can play a lot of them and also if concentrates money) but rather nuanced payload (tokens? what!) and moderately fast engines that buy different cards.

peasant is way cooler than page and i think over time we'll start to rate it more highly than page. page is kinda cool in that it gives a bunch of things that engine doesn't really care for and then a busted engine card, so it's a different environment, but also champion means that about 3 kingdom cards will immediately become useless turn 11ish. peasant is one situational engine card, two that are pretty much always good but still require a lot of choosing, and two that are essentially placeholders but still do something that is interesting. also they're supergood for fairgrounds lmao
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:41:03 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
+1

Yeah, the Page pin is powerful if uncontested but completely neutered if you both race for Champion. If you each have 2 Pages (you should) you'll both get to Champion within a turn or two of each other and the attack won't matter. Champion's effect is really nice but you have to sort through your extra Treasure and you probably don't have the gains to fill your deck with Smithy very quick. It honestly has less of an impact than I thought.

Teacher isn't always worth it, but if there are two or even one target(s) for it Teacher is absolutely mind warping. Disciple is good enough to warrant a second Peasant as well. Very powerful card. I think it's better than Page overall.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.