Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Early Adventures Impressions  (Read 26696 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Early Adventures Impressions
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:24 am »
+1

Okay, technically, the expansion has been out for over a year now, but only since Monday have many people here had a chance to start playing with the cards. So, this thread is to discuss what your thoughts are on Adventures so far. What cards do you like? Are there cards you hate? How do you feel this expansion changes the game? Do you feel any cards are overrated or underrated right now? Any other thoughts?

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
Re: Early Adventures Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:07 am »
+2

I think that the Peasant ==> Teacher line is overrated. The potential of the card is insane, but it is quite slow.
Coin of the Realm seems underrated, I think that card is absolutely insane, borderline broken.

I have a problem with the Page ==> Hero line. If you get lucky and trash your opponents Warrior with your Warrior then the game is basically over. There is no recovery from that.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:30 am »
+13

I've recently discovered that I really like the Magpie art.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:59 am »
+2

I have it IRL so have been playing for a while. But I'm still likely to get more games in now than I do with my gaming group.
Miser is underrated. You just have to commit to it.
CoTR is indeed really good.

It's easy to miss/ignore events when you probably always want to get them at least once. It's rare that a whole game passes without it being very good at least once to get any given event.

The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:10 am »
+1

I really like adventures. I think it adds a lot of complexity to the game and rewards tracking your deck closely even more so with all the "beginning of your turn"-decisions.
Events are also a big factor. They can change a given kingdom from being mediocre to a more interesting one when two are added.
I really like the little Tricks you can pull in adventures games and the more obscure strategies that are enabled by the various + tokens. I had a game where i opened amb/amb and did nothing but junk my opponent while buying hamlets until i had a teacher on turn 8/9 or something. I then Put my +$ token on hamlet and used pathfinding to also Put +card on them. That was fun :D

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:42 am »
+1

Overall, I really love it. A lot of engines still feel "weird" with all the adventures stuff, but it probably felt that way when other expansions came out aswell.

My favourite cards are Transmogrify, Distant Lands, COTR and Inheritance is my favourite Event. There is no card I really dislike, but I like Amulet, Alms and Borrow the least.

Cards underrated: Caravan Guard, Miser, Scouting Party and Guide altough perception has shifted with this one I think. COTR aswell (In Qvists, ranking, this one is ridiculously underrated)

Cards overrated: Artificer, Alms, Bridge Troll, did I mention Artificer? That one.

Cards I personally overrated and think of less now: Ratcatcher, Dungeon, Ranger

Cards I personally underrated: Bonfire, Travelling Fair, Treasure Trove and Gear; Bonfire and Gear are the cards I was the most off with.

Card that I thought was garbage and actually is: Giant

Card I misplay every fucking time: Save

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:05 am »

I keep thinking that Save makes you put cards on top of your deck instead of setting them aside.  :-\

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:42 am »
+4

Miser is not a terrible card, but it's not great either. It trashes Copper and later puts it to use, and I got beat by a Miser board, but someone was using Workshop to gain the Misers and Villages, and that's probably the optimal case for Miser right there.

Coin of the Realm is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards. It gives you enough +Actions to play two action cards when you trigger it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
+5

4/3 openings on a chapel and travelling fair deck are neat. Chapel before the first shuffle is a treat.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:05 am »

Miser is not a terrible card, but it's not great either. It trashes Copper and later puts it to use, and I got beat by a Miser board, but someone was using Workshop to gain the Misers and Villages, and that's probably the optimal case for Miser right there.

Coin of the Realm is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards. It gives you enough +Actions to play two action cards when you trigger it.

The +Action token on Miser is great, and if you can get +Buy too, it's game over.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:53 am »
+4

I overrated Haunted Woods, which I thought was better than Wharf at first, and by far the star of the set. Turns out not drawing anything this turn hurts more than I expected. It's still a good card, just not that good. I bought it on every board I've seen it so far, and while it's a nice card to have, you can't go crazy with it and sometimes you're better off getting a different source of draw.

I underrated Caravan Guard, which I thought was extremely weak, almost Chancellor-level. Turns out it doesn't hurt that much to have a delay in +$, and it's a pretty okay card to throw down if you get attacks played against you. I've started buying it more often and it's not that useless after all.

All in all, Adventures is more balanced than I thought, and there don't seem to be extremely overpowered or extremely weak cards. Well, maybe the tokens get a bit crazy sometimes.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
+2

Chapel treasure trove is pretty amazing

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:02:16 am »
+1

The +Action token on Miser is great, and if you can get +Buy too, it's game over.

That's a lot of work to get to that point.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:06 am »
+1

Cards underrated: Caravan Guard, Miser, Scouting Party and Guide altough perception has shifted with this one I think. COTR aswell (In Qvists, ranking, this one is ridiculously underrated)

Cards overrated: Artificer, Alms, Bridge Troll, did I mention Artificer? That one.

Cards I personally overrated and think of less now: Ratcatcher, Dungeon, Ranger

That's funny. I think I've played all my matches in which I took Artificers against you and thought it was quite okay, much better than I initially expected, actually :)
I agree, though, Miser can be really good on slow boards.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:35:18 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:16 am »
+3

Miser is okay, I guess.

Magpie and Training is just stupid good. Magpie itself helps you spike $6.

Played a game with Magpie, Training, Artificer, GM. Got Training on Magpie quickly, used Artificer to top deck GMs, which I could use to buy more GMs. Magpie clears a lot of stop cards from your deck too which helps with cantrip money strategies.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +271
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
+9

With all the new cards and events, and tokens, there's a lot of fun card combinations that you wouldn't think of until you're actually looking at the Kingdom with both of them in it, and sometimes not even then.  It's not like Apprentice-Market Square or Hermit-Market Square, you know about these things and so when both cards show up, it's like "hey, I guess I'm doing that this game".  Adventures opens up a lot more possibilities, especially when you mix them with the other expansions

I had a game with the Page line and Ferry.  My opponent Ferried Markets, and was running the Market Pile, I Ferried Smithies, planning to have a lot of +3 cards +1 action smithies.  I got up to Champion and then had a bunch of Warriors and Pages.  My warriors couldn't touch his Markets, until I realized that I could put my Ferry token on Markets, so that now they cost 3 on my turn.  My Warriors tore his Markets apart.  Did either of us play the Kingdom optimally?  Probably not, but it sure was fun. 

I wonder if this could be a thing with Bridge Troll.  Take your time building up a deck with Champion, that can draw itself, play 1-4 Bridge Trolls, and then a bunch of Pages and Warriors.  Even if you end up really behind in points, Once you play 4 Bridge Trolls you can trash all his Provinces that aren't in his hand.  Play 2 Bridge Trolls and trash all his 5 or 6 cost cards.  You could almost strategically carpet bomb his entire deck. 

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:34 am »
+2

Right but you have to assume that he'll get his champion up not much after you. (Otherwise you're assuming that you've won whatever happens.) And in that case the attacks do nothing. Sad but true.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »
+6

I had fun buying one dutchy and using my 7 duplicates on it and winning the game.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +271
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:21 pm »

Right but you have to assume that he'll get his champion up not much after you. (Otherwise you're assuming that you've won whatever happens.) And in that case the attacks do nothing. Sad but true.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's true.  I was starting to think that Warrior could potentially be a bit strong, but if it's always in a Kingdom with an UberMoat, it loses some of its power.  If you're playing a mirror, I guess there's not much you can do.  If not, and your opponent has just picked up one page to get their Champion, you can try to cut them off at one of the piles, for example, if you have every Warrior, they can't advance to Warrior or beyond it.  So you could try some sort of rush there.  Or you could attempt to trash their Champion/Hero with Warriors before they can play it. 

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:15 pm »

Once you have a hero it can't be trashed by warrior

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »
+2

I hadn't thought of that, but that's true.  I was starting to think that Warrior could potentially be a bit strong, but if it's always in a Kingdom with an UberMoat, it loses some of its power.  If you're playing a mirror, I guess there's not much you can do.  If not, and your opponent has just picked up one page to get their Champion, you can try to cut them off at one of the piles, for example, if you have every Warrior, they can't advance to Warrior or beyond it.  So you could try some sort of rush there.  Or you could attempt to trash their Champion/Hero with Warriors before they can play it.
The goal is to hit their Warrior with yours and then you've basically already won.  If that doesn't happen to one of the players then they'll both eventually get Champion up and then it's just about the engine, attacks being basically irrelevant.  So yeah I think it's often pretty correct to spam Pages so that your Warrior goes berserk.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:33 pm »

Yeah, Warrior is insanely OP. It's more cancerous than Urchin and Rebuild combined. I don't mind Rebuild games. I don't mind Cultist games. I don't mind Mercenary games. But man, I mind Champion games.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:56 pm »
+8

I've played a bunch of games and watched some streams now and the games in which Warrior has actually done something besides just +2 cards have been the insignificant minority of Page games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:02 pm »

I've played a bunch of games and watched some streams now and the games in which Warrior has actually done something besides just +2 cards have been the insignificant minority of Page games.

I would hope so.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 01:18:57 pm »
+4

I think we might be suffering of some level of trashing attack paranoia with Warrior. Remember Pirate Ship and Saboteur?

Artificer is not bad. Gainers are pretty cool, and uniquely, this one has no caps. The worst it can do is using your turn to gain and topdeck a 5er. (this is the case when it misses all your useful cards)

I think Storyteller might be overrated. It's worse than stables a lot of the time. It turns simple Caravan Guards into whole Caravans, which is a pretty cool example of literary hyperbole.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.