Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Early Adventures Impressions  (Read 26815 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Early Adventures Impressions
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:09:24 am »
+1

Okay, technically, the expansion has been out for over a year now, but only since Monday have many people here had a chance to start playing with the cards. So, this thread is to discuss what your thoughts are on Adventures so far. What cards do you like? Are there cards you hate? How do you feel this expansion changes the game? Do you feel any cards are overrated or underrated right now? Any other thoughts?

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
Re: Early Adventures Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:07 am »
+2

I think that the Peasant ==> Teacher line is overrated. The potential of the card is insane, but it is quite slow.
Coin of the Realm seems underrated, I think that card is absolutely insane, borderline broken.

I have a problem with the Page ==> Hero line. If you get lucky and trash your opponents Warrior with your Warrior then the game is basically over. There is no recovery from that.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:30 am »
+13

I've recently discovered that I really like the Magpie art.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:59 am »
+2

I have it IRL so have been playing for a while. But I'm still likely to get more games in now than I do with my gaming group.
Miser is underrated. You just have to commit to it.
CoTR is indeed really good.

It's easy to miss/ignore events when you probably always want to get them at least once. It's rare that a whole game passes without it being very good at least once to get any given event.

The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:10 am »
+1

I really like adventures. I think it adds a lot of complexity to the game and rewards tracking your deck closely even more so with all the "beginning of your turn"-decisions.
Events are also a big factor. They can change a given kingdom from being mediocre to a more interesting one when two are added.
I really like the little Tricks you can pull in adventures games and the more obscure strategies that are enabled by the various + tokens. I had a game where i opened amb/amb and did nothing but junk my opponent while buying hamlets until i had a teacher on turn 8/9 or something. I then Put my +$ token on hamlet and used pathfinding to also Put +card on them. That was fun :D

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:42 am »
+1

Overall, I really love it. A lot of engines still feel "weird" with all the adventures stuff, but it probably felt that way when other expansions came out aswell.

My favourite cards are Transmogrify, Distant Lands, COTR and Inheritance is my favourite Event. There is no card I really dislike, but I like Amulet, Alms and Borrow the least.

Cards underrated: Caravan Guard, Miser, Scouting Party and Guide altough perception has shifted with this one I think. COTR aswell (In Qvists, ranking, this one is ridiculously underrated)

Cards overrated: Artificer, Alms, Bridge Troll, did I mention Artificer? That one.

Cards I personally overrated and think of less now: Ratcatcher, Dungeon, Ranger

Cards I personally underrated: Bonfire, Travelling Fair, Treasure Trove and Gear; Bonfire and Gear are the cards I was the most off with.

Card that I thought was garbage and actually is: Giant

Card I misplay every fucking time: Save

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:20:05 am »

I keep thinking that Save makes you put cards on top of your deck instead of setting them aside.  :-\

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:42 am »
+4

Miser is not a terrible card, but it's not great either. It trashes Copper and later puts it to use, and I got beat by a Miser board, but someone was using Workshop to gain the Misers and Villages, and that's probably the optimal case for Miser right there.

Coin of the Realm is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards. It gives you enough +Actions to play two action cards when you trigger it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:27:45 am »
+5

4/3 openings on a chapel and travelling fair deck are neat. Chapel before the first shuffle is a treat.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:05 am »

Miser is not a terrible card, but it's not great either. It trashes Copper and later puts it to use, and I got beat by a Miser board, but someone was using Workshop to gain the Misers and Villages, and that's probably the optimal case for Miser right there.

Coin of the Realm is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards. It gives you enough +Actions to play two action cards when you trigger it.

The +Action token on Miser is great, and if you can get +Buy too, it's game over.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:53 am »
+4

I overrated Haunted Woods, which I thought was better than Wharf at first, and by far the star of the set. Turns out not drawing anything this turn hurts more than I expected. It's still a good card, just not that good. I bought it on every board I've seen it so far, and while it's a nice card to have, you can't go crazy with it and sometimes you're better off getting a different source of draw.

I underrated Caravan Guard, which I thought was extremely weak, almost Chancellor-level. Turns out it doesn't hurt that much to have a delay in +$, and it's a pretty okay card to throw down if you get attacks played against you. I've started buying it more often and it's not that useless after all.

All in all, Adventures is more balanced than I thought, and there don't seem to be extremely overpowered or extremely weak cards. Well, maybe the tokens get a bit crazy sometimes.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
+2

Chapel treasure trove is pretty amazing

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:02:16 am »
+1

The +Action token on Miser is great, and if you can get +Buy too, it's game over.

That's a lot of work to get to that point.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:06 am »
+1

Cards underrated: Caravan Guard, Miser, Scouting Party and Guide altough perception has shifted with this one I think. COTR aswell (In Qvists, ranking, this one is ridiculously underrated)

Cards overrated: Artificer, Alms, Bridge Troll, did I mention Artificer? That one.

Cards I personally overrated and think of less now: Ratcatcher, Dungeon, Ranger

That's funny. I think I've played all my matches in which I took Artificers against you and thought it was quite okay, much better than I initially expected, actually :)
I agree, though, Miser can be really good on slow boards.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:35:18 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:16 am »
+3

Miser is okay, I guess.

Magpie and Training is just stupid good. Magpie itself helps you spike $6.

Played a game with Magpie, Training, Artificer, GM. Got Training on Magpie quickly, used Artificer to top deck GMs, which I could use to buy more GMs. Magpie clears a lot of stop cards from your deck too which helps with cantrip money strategies.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
+9

With all the new cards and events, and tokens, there's a lot of fun card combinations that you wouldn't think of until you're actually looking at the Kingdom with both of them in it, and sometimes not even then.  It's not like Apprentice-Market Square or Hermit-Market Square, you know about these things and so when both cards show up, it's like "hey, I guess I'm doing that this game".  Adventures opens up a lot more possibilities, especially when you mix them with the other expansions

I had a game with the Page line and Ferry.  My opponent Ferried Markets, and was running the Market Pile, I Ferried Smithies, planning to have a lot of +3 cards +1 action smithies.  I got up to Champion and then had a bunch of Warriors and Pages.  My warriors couldn't touch his Markets, until I realized that I could put my Ferry token on Markets, so that now they cost 3 on my turn.  My Warriors tore his Markets apart.  Did either of us play the Kingdom optimally?  Probably not, but it sure was fun. 

I wonder if this could be a thing with Bridge Troll.  Take your time building up a deck with Champion, that can draw itself, play 1-4 Bridge Trolls, and then a bunch of Pages and Warriors.  Even if you end up really behind in points, Once you play 4 Bridge Trolls you can trash all his Provinces that aren't in his hand.  Play 2 Bridge Trolls and trash all his 5 or 6 cost cards.  You could almost strategically carpet bomb his entire deck. 

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:34 am »
+2

Right but you have to assume that he'll get his champion up not much after you. (Otherwise you're assuming that you've won whatever happens.) And in that case the attacks do nothing. Sad but true.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »
+6

I had fun buying one dutchy and using my 7 duplicates on it and winning the game.

amoffett11

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:21 pm »

Right but you have to assume that he'll get his champion up not much after you. (Otherwise you're assuming that you've won whatever happens.) And in that case the attacks do nothing. Sad but true.

I hadn't thought of that, but that's true.  I was starting to think that Warrior could potentially be a bit strong, but if it's always in a Kingdom with an UberMoat, it loses some of its power.  If you're playing a mirror, I guess there's not much you can do.  If not, and your opponent has just picked up one page to get their Champion, you can try to cut them off at one of the piles, for example, if you have every Warrior, they can't advance to Warrior or beyond it.  So you could try some sort of rush there.  Or you could attempt to trash their Champion/Hero with Warriors before they can play it. 

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:15 pm »

Once you have a hero it can't be trashed by warrior

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 12:37:30 pm »
+2

I hadn't thought of that, but that's true.  I was starting to think that Warrior could potentially be a bit strong, but if it's always in a Kingdom with an UberMoat, it loses some of its power.  If you're playing a mirror, I guess there's not much you can do.  If not, and your opponent has just picked up one page to get their Champion, you can try to cut them off at one of the piles, for example, if you have every Warrior, they can't advance to Warrior or beyond it.  So you could try some sort of rush there.  Or you could attempt to trash their Champion/Hero with Warriors before they can play it.
The goal is to hit their Warrior with yours and then you've basically already won.  If that doesn't happen to one of the players then they'll both eventually get Champion up and then it's just about the engine, attacks being basically irrelevant.  So yeah I think it's often pretty correct to spam Pages so that your Warrior goes berserk.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:33 pm »

Yeah, Warrior is insanely OP. It's more cancerous than Urchin and Rebuild combined. I don't mind Rebuild games. I don't mind Cultist games. I don't mind Mercenary games. But man, I mind Champion games.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:56 pm »
+8

I've played a bunch of games and watched some streams now and the games in which Warrior has actually done something besides just +2 cards have been the insignificant minority of Page games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:02 pm »

I've played a bunch of games and watched some streams now and the games in which Warrior has actually done something besides just +2 cards have been the insignificant minority of Page games.

I would hope so.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 01:18:57 pm »
+4

I think we might be suffering of some level of trashing attack paranoia with Warrior. Remember Pirate Ship and Saboteur?

Artificer is not bad. Gainers are pretty cool, and uniquely, this one has no caps. The worst it can do is using your turn to gain and topdeck a 5er. (this is the case when it misses all your useful cards)

I think Storyteller might be overrated. It's worse than stables a lot of the time. It turns simple Caravan Guards into whole Caravans, which is a pretty cool example of literary hyperbole.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »
+1

A bunch of random thoughts from my games so far. Probably way off on most of them.

Lost Arts on Goons - The frees up the terminal space to be used on draw. I was able to consistently get 5 Goons in play every turn.

Pathfinding on Baker - This seemed to turn it into an insane card.

Distant Lands - I was surprised at how early you can start Green. It seems to open up some strange rush strategies if you can win the split.

Inheritance on Crossroads - Didn't think that one through properly.

Port - Brings an interesting dynamic to the game. If you need them because they are the only village they are going to go quickly. If there are other villages I am beginning to feel it might be a trap. I had one game where the villages were Port and City. That was interesting. Port is easier to get, but in doing so it powers up Cities.

Coin of the Realm and Conspirator - Is this a synergy or an anti-synergy?

Plan - This seems to be quite hard to use. I put it on a card I know I will want to buy lots of and then I find I don't want to trash what is left in my hand. I put it on something I only want a few of and then I find I don't want any more of that card but I want to trash something in my hand.

Caravan Guard and Vineyards - CG seems very good here. Cheap, spamable cantrip and gives money.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

Coin of the Realm and Conspirator - Is this a synergy or an anti-synergy?

Kind of? You usually want Conspirator in the deck where you want Coin of the Realm, but getting Conspirator in that deck might or might not be worth the effort. You don't always want Coin of the Realm in the deck where you want Conspirator, either. But there's some overlap.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 01:37:35 pm »

Plan - This seems to be quite hard to use. I put it on a card I know I will want to buy lots of and then I find I don't want to trash what is left in my hand.

Remember that the trashing from the trashing token is optional.

amoffett11

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:17 pm »

Right, I'm talking Warrior + Bridge Troll/Highway/Bridge or something though, which was my original thought, not just Warriors alone. 

I'm not going to claim it's some unstoppable combo, but it could be something to watch out for in games with Cost-Reduction cards if A) your opponent is ignoring Pages/Champions or B) you yourself plan to ignore Pages/Champion.  Warrior is different than any other trashing attack because it can hit any card (Treasure/Victory/Action) and if the cost is right, and it can trash a lot of them.  4 or 5 Warriors with 3 or 4 pages (+ your Champion in play) can inspect 20+ cards a turn and trash everything that costs 3/4, or 5/6 with a couple Bridge Trolls or all their Provinces with 4.  Warrior also helps you play your Bridge Trolls with its card drawing.  It's much more powerful than Saboteur because it can trash multiple cards each play and there's no replacement, Knights only trash one card per play.  The real problem here is the Treasure Hunter, setting this up you've gained at least 6 silver, and then another treasure from your Hero.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
+1

okay guyz, Cultist + Training + CotR = INSANITY

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160504/log.0.1462387097899.txt

Edit: I even didn't need Ferry in this game
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:42:40 pm by LaLight »
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 02:55:00 pm »

Right, I'm talking Warrior + Bridge Troll/Highway/Bridge or something though, which was my original thought, not just Warriors alone. 

I'm not going to claim it's some unstoppable combo, but it could be something to watch out for in games with Cost-Reduction cards if A) your opponent is ignoring Pages/Champions or B) you yourself plan to ignore Pages/Champion.  Warrior is different than any other trashing attack because it can hit any card (Treasure/Victory/Action) and if the cost is right, and it can trash a lot of them.  4 or 5 Warriors with 3 or 4 pages (+ your Champion in play) can inspect 20+ cards a turn and trash everything that costs 3/4, or 5/6 with a couple Bridge Trolls or all their Provinces with 4.  Warrior also helps you play your Bridge Trolls with its card drawing.  It's much more powerful than Saboteur because it can trash multiple cards each play and there's no replacement, Knights only trash one card per play.  The real problem here is the Treasure Hunter, setting this up you've gained at least 6 silver, and then another treasure from your Hero.

You see, that's the problem. You need to gain a lot of silvers to set that up. It just seems way, way too slow.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 02:24:38 am »
+3

Just after I read this, I played a Page/Moutebank game with no sifting nor trashing. My opponent's 2-depth-Warrior trashed my own Warrior and discarded my Hero at the beginning of a 25-card shuffle.
Yeah.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 06:16:29 am »
+3

This was a fun game. http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160504/log.0.1462401813587.txt

My opponent goes for the "Play lots of knights and nothing else" strategy. I defend with a golden deck that plays distant lands, attacks with relic, and buys distant lands every turn. Once the distant lands are gone, he thinks I'm pinned, but I just empty estates.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:43 am »
+3

I'm still a fan of Page, but it feels more money-ish than I had realized. People talk about getting a Champion for your engine, but by that point, you're usually going to have quite a few treasures. This can be a good or bad thing depending on how you view it, but those treasures are often going to end up being your payload; the champion just makes it easier to draw them and get +buy. It's important to keep in mind that most Page games are mirrors, so you can't count on attacks being your payload. Therefore, it just turns into "once I have my Champion, how fast can I score points?" This often means just drawing all of your treasures and buying a bunch of Provinces. The threat of attacks is what really pushes Page games to mirrors; Champion isn't actually all that fast, but once you get it you can attack the heck out of your opponent. Only with both absence of other attacks and a way to do something without $3 or $4 cards should you skip Page.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 08:49:03 am »
+1

Soldier can be amazing payload. Until now, he was the biggest surprise for me. If your drawing card is an attack, VLAM! 10 coins per Soldier. And you always have a source of +Buy on the board. :)

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 09:14:09 am »
+1

Quest sucks less than I thought. Played an Urchin BM game where I could just buy like five Urchins and get a Gold every turn while trashing with Mercenary. I didn't win this game because there was an engine I missed, but it's not a terrible idea.

bug me on discord

they/them

smcrtorchs

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:23 pm »
+13

With adventures, it feels like I am a small kid again discovering the forest, instead of trying to see which tree is 2 turns shorter.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
+3

Yeah, Warrior is insanely OP. It's more cancerous than Urchin and Rebuild combined. I don't mind Rebuild games. I don't mind Cultist games. I don't mind Mercenary games. But man, I mind Champion games.

This is a crazy amount of hype for a really underwhelming strategy. Every time Warrior is out, it is on a board with a permanent Moat available. If you both try to set up Champion quickly, Warrior won't have enough time to devastate anyone. If you just completely ignore your opponent spending half of the game setting up a 6+ depth attack and then heavily invest in $3/$4 cards, then yeah you lose, but then you're also brain dead and pay no attention to the nuances of the game.

The exception is when Warrior trashes the opponents Warrior, which sucks, but I mean, get two Pages.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:50:28 pm by Chris is me »

bug me on discord

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 03:30:48 pm »
+1

In super thin decks a warrior strategy might work. I'm thinking mostly Chapel page boards here

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 03:36:47 pm »
+3

If you can get teacher out, it's insanely fun.

Warrior should just not be able to trash down travellers, really. That would solve the entire warrior problem.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 04:06:24 pm »

Lost Arts on Goons - The frees up the terminal space to be used on draw. I was able to consistently get 5 Goons in play every turn.

Someone else mentioned this in relation to Miser (which is nowhere near the best), so I think we can expand it to strong terminal payload in general. +Action token on spammable payload cards is pretty good - you know, the ones that just get better the more you get in play. So other than Goons, there's also Merchant Guild, Bridge, Wine Merchant and possibly Bridge Troll.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 04:17:44 pm »
+5

Someone else mentioned this in relation to Miser (which is nowhere near the best), so I think we can expand it to strong terminal payload in general. +Action token on spammable payload cards is pretty good - you know, the ones that just get better the more you get in play. So other than Goons, there's also Merchant Guild, Bridge, Wine Merchant and possibly Bridge Troll.

Almost always, if you have the option between putting Lost Arts on terminal draw or terminal payload, you should put it on terminal draw. It just makes your deck so much more reliable. That's why Laboratory is so much more expensive than Moat, whereas Silver is only marginally more expensive than Duchess.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 04:23:46 pm »

Almost always, if you have the option between putting Lost Arts on terminal draw or terminal payload, you should put it on terminal draw. It just makes your deck so much more reliable. That's why Laboratory is so much more expensive than Moat, whereas Silver is only marginally more expensive than Duchess.

Yes, this is obvious. Putting +Action on Goons is mainly good if you don't need it for your draw, of course. But I think the situation arises relatively often with Teacher, since often your best draw is going to be +Cards on some cantrip, and then +Action on terminal payload looks pretty good.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 04:30:55 pm »
+1

I think you should generally just put +Action on the terminal card you have the most of in your deck. If you have 3 Council Rooms and 6 Goons, I wouldn't put my token on Council Room.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 04:43:37 pm »
+1

I think you should generally just put +Action on the terminal card you have the most of in your deck. If you have 3 Council Rooms and 6 Goons, I wouldn't put my token on Council Room.

It doesn't even have to be terminal. Putting +Action on some non-terminal you play before all your terminals is also pretty good, if you have more of that card than your most common terminal. I had a decent game with +Action on Hunting Party. Basically put it on some card you have a lot of, as a very general rule. Of course the restrictions from Teacher makes this a lot more complicated.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 05:16:05 pm »
+2

If a village is on the board, putting +Action on Council Room makes more sense than putting on Goons, even if you only have 3 Council Rooms. Essentially every CR you play is the equivalant to 3 Labs.   :o
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:17:59 pm by Beyond Awesome »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
+1

If a village is on the board, putting +Action on Council Room makes more sense than putting on Goons, even if you only have 3 Council Rooms. Essentially every CR you play is the equivalant to 3 Labs.   :o

Plus one Lab for your opponents! Plus a Market Square. But yes, I agree with you.

Max

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 05:42:07 pm »

it's worth noting that if there's no other +action it feels like you should probably be putting it on your terminal draw anyway, since you'll probably be playing some kind of goons big money.

If your token goes on your goons you can only play the goons you have at the beginning of your turn (works with terminal draw in form of wharf or hireling), whereas if it goes on your terminal draw you can play one every turn.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 06:38:29 pm »
+1

Uh, no? +Action on Council Room and you'll need 5 Villages to play 6 Goons. +Action on Goons and you'll need only 3 Villages to play 3 Council Rooms (and be able to play something else afterwards). You can skip buying two Villages and put the money in another Goons!

I guess +Action on Council Room does make the engine slightly more reliable, but if you're getting to the point where you can play 6 Goons in a turn, reliability is not really an issue.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »
+1

Uh, no? +Action on Council Room and you'll need 5 Villages to play 6 Goons. +Action on Goons and you'll need only 3 Villages to play 3 Council Rooms (and be able to play something else afterwards). You can skip buying two Villages and put the money in another Goons!

I guess +Action on Council Room does make the engine slightly more reliable, but if you're getting to the point where you can play 6 Goons in a turn, reliability is not really an issue.

True, but I think that in a Goon Engine mirror, reliability is much more important than gain efficience. You should have plenty of gains, but if you skip a turn, you're toast.
This case is particular due to opponent's Council room boosting your reliability.
Still, +Action on CR also helps you to start drawing your deck, which is when you start growing like crazy.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
+2

If you draw CR and no village your toast. Putting +Action on CR means you're playing your deck every turn. This might not be so if +Action is on Goons.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »
+1

I only play Dominion offline, but I find it amusing to read other people's "early" impressions.

I think that the Peasant ==> Teacher line is overrated. The potential of the card is insane, but it is quite slow.
Coin of the Realm seems underrated, I think that card is absolutely insane, borderline broken.

I have a problem with the Page ==> Hero line. If you get lucky and trash your opponents Warrior with your Warrior then the game is basically over. There is no recovery from that.
Yeah, getting your Treasure Hunter or Warrior trashed is really hard to recover from.  I've found that if Hero is really important, then you should really get at least two Pages (and I've never had the misfortune of losing them both).  The problem is that the more Pages you get, the more you junk your deck with silver, which slows Hero down a lot.

In my experience, Teacher is faster than Hero.  What makes Teacher difficult is having a plan for those tokens.  I've had a few games where I got Teacher, but didn't have any decent targets for tokens.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2016, 08:46:16 pm »
+4

I find that I'm very sad when a game starts up and there are no Adventures cards or Events.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »
+1

I only play Dominion offline, but I find it amusing to read other people's "early" impressions.

Yeah, getting your Treasure Hunter or Warrior trashed is really hard to recover from.  I've found that if Hero is really important, then you should really get at least two Pages (and I've never had the misfortune of losing them both).  The problem is that the more Pages you get, the more you junk your deck with silver, which slows Hero down a lot.

In my experience, Teacher is faster than Hero.  What makes Teacher difficult is having a plan for those tokens.  I've had a few games where I got Teacher, but didn't have any decent targets for tokens.

Why get Teacher if there aren't good targets?

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2016, 09:22:27 pm »

Love the set so far - I'm not seeing many limited use cards.  There's some Events that are a bit wonky, but Events don't take up any room in the Supply - if there's a dud event, who cares.

Duplicate/Rebuild seems insanely good.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:16 pm »
+5

It builds character.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »
+1

It builds character.

He's my favorite character in that comic strip.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 10:07:42 pm »
+3

Be very careful if you are ending the game on a Page or Peasant pileout that you don't exchange a Peasant or Page you just played.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 02:48:03 am »
+1

Be very careful if you are ending the game on a Page or Peasant pileout that you don't exchange a Peasant or Page you just played.

Another thing: If your plan is to win by a 3-pile which includes pages, do not mindlessly click "resolve all" after the pileout if you have four pages in play....

I did that too! We're both pros.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2016, 01:10:51 pm »
+4

You can trash with Amulet before calling Guide. Also Guide is just great against any hand size reducers.

Can't wait to see a Coin of the Realm + Cultist game. Seems like it's finally possible to easily build an engine around Cultists that way.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 01:17:23 pm »

You can trash with Amulet before calling Guide. Also Guide is just great against any hand size reducers.

Can't wait to see a Coin of the Realm + Cultist game. Seems like it's finally possible to easily build an engine around Cultists that way.

It has always been possible to build an engine around Cultists. CotR probably makes it easier though.

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »
+1

Guide is also a nice buy in the midgame with leftover $3 and a spare buy if there are no other decent cards you want for $3 (eg only Silver). Even if you dont use it for quite some time and it just sits on your mat it might be very valuable in the endgame to skip a dud Hand. It's like youre buying lategame insurance with midgame spare $3.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
+1

It has always been possible to build an engine around Cultists. CotR probably makes it easier though.
I know, but so often it's just better to go into money afterwards. With coin you can do stuff after drawing.. also, that's why I wrote easily ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:38:40 pm by assemble_me »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2016, 06:50:13 pm »
+1

I have not played with all the cards yet. But I really like this "new" set, adds exactly what I like in dominion : crazy creative strategies.
Cards played :
Coin of the realm - I used it to enable a conspirator chain, knowing it would probably be pretty bad. It wasn't that bad, probably because of the weakness of the board. It's a very cool card, I like the combination between weak money + good effect.
Raze - Insanely fun.
Amulet - Good duration card. Give the same feeling as pawn, squire or steward about choices.
Guide - I really like reserve cards. Guide is one of the most representative. I like how it counters attack.
Duplicate - I used it in an IGG game. I don't know if it's a good tactic or not... my opponent won because of 5/2 opening anyway.
Messenger - Right now, I applied the on-gain effect only on silver. I can see how this effect could be used well, but that would be still very situationnal I think. I like it, because I like chancellor effects.
Miser - A card I have dreamt about. Donald X did it. Very cool.
Ranger - That's draw. We always need draw.
Transmogrify - I love this card, even if I almost only used it to trash junk...
Artificer - Strong and funny card. Really like it.
Bridge troll - I don't see what this card add to the game. Attack is rather boring, and otherwise that's just a duration bridge, which doesn't seem very interesting to me. Bridge or highway are more straightforward.
Giant - I think I like it because it's probably a weak attack.
Haunted woods - I like. Curious to see it in more games, to see how strong (or not) is the attack. I guess in some context, it's a very strong card.
Storyteller - Wow. Amazing crazy draw. I used it with silver flooding in a raid in a game, and feodum in another game. And big deck generally. A surprise.
Swamp Hag - Like. Attacks in adventures seems to be weaker than in other sets : that's good.
Treasure trove - I've seen it in many games, and it always was strong. I don't understand why.
Wine merchant - Reserve card, I like reserve cards.
Hireling - I used it in a game just for the fun of buying an adventure card. Nice card.

About events, I will only say that Ferry + altar + Duke is lot of fun.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2016, 08:19:25 pm »
+5

Alms/Miser is pretty strong, since it lets you build up your engine while powering up Miser.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2016, 02:03:29 am »
+1

King's Court + Haunted Woods is amazing to build an engine around.  I mean, KC makes so many things amazing.  But with HW, if you can KC one every turn you can pretty much guarantee not having a dud hand, ever.  And you mostly just have to line up KC and HW once to get going, provided you have at least one other KC and one other HW to play the next turn.

Edit: I was thinking, which is stronger, KC+HW or KC+Wharf?  My gut tells me Wharf because of the +Buys but man, drawing 9 cards at the start of your turn, well that's equivalent to... three Princed Smithies!  That's pretty great right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:02:46 pm by jaybeez »

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2016, 02:23:51 pm »
+1

Trade / Mountebank is pretty great, because you already opened Silver / Silver to afford Mountebank. After you bought 2 Mountebank, you are more than willing to spend $5 on trashing 1 Curse and getting a Silver, and sometimes you'll even get to trash 2 cards for $5. Your deck becomes basically full of Silver and you're able to spike $8 pretty regularly.

bug me on discord

they/them

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2016, 08:38:20 am »

Triple gear seems to be somewhere along the same lines of Council Room BM, not sure where exactly
Treasure Trove can give you nice TfB food if you can handle the Coppers
Storyteller is a strange, strange card and I still can't tell when it's really good.
Seems like Treasure Trove is a natural fit for Storyteller because it likes having money in the deck and you can gain Copper + Gold mid turn and draw them later. Coin of the Realm also works well with it, probably.
... Black Market + Coin of the Realm is pretty awesome since you can use the Coin on the BM buy and immediately call it.
Travellers seem to be pretty dominant, you just have to go for Peasant/Page most of the time. The tough question is going to be when to not go for them

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:28 am »

Caravan Guard and Possession seem to be interesting.

As CG gives money on your next turn with Possession in the kingdom, it brings in a lot of mind games and trying to second guess when your opponent can play there Possession. Also when you have a Caravan Guard in a Possessed hand, do you treat it as a dead card or play it knowing you are giving your opponent money to spend on their next turn.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

Caravan Guard and Possession seem to be interesting.

As CG gives money on your next turn with Possession in the kingdom, it brings in a lot of mind games and trying to second guess when your opponent can play there Possession. Also when you have a Caravan Guard in a Possessed hand, do you treat it as a dead card or play it knowing you are giving your opponent money to spend on their next turn.

This is pretty much the same as any Duration card with Possession, except maybe the duration attacks.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2016, 03:17:26 pm »
+7

how to win at online dominion: pay more attention to events than your opponent.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2016, 06:53:04 pm »
+4

Now I have played all the cards. Funnily, the last two cards to have appeared were the travellers : Page and Peasant were in the same kingdom the first time I played with them. That was too many cards to learn at once. That game was stupid.

Cards I like the most :
I love almost the whole set actually. I hope some cards won't appear to be broken, like Cultist in dark ages (loved it at first, then started to dominate too many games). Right now, all attacks seems to be on the weak side, that's a thing I like a lot. So, Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods are both very interesting. Swamp Hag is close to torturer about the "psychological" attack : sometimes the best move is to buy nothing. That's hard to accept but that's life. Or sometimes you have to take those three curses but it's worth it. Also, this card may have influence late game (penultimate province rule), that curse can make the difference.
I really like Guide. Discarding that bad hand feels so good. And I love transmogrify : take a time to think before starting each turn.
And I already said, Raze is so much fun.
So, let's say Swamp Hag, Guide, Transmogrify.
For the events : Those that add token to a supply pile are absolutely amazing and they are the funniest thing adventures brought us imo. I like Plan and Inheritance a lot too. Also, travelling fair, but I don't have used it well yet.

Cards I dislike :
Relic. I think you often want one, then it's an automatic attack you even don't have to think about. Can be really boring and doesn't add that much to the game. Bridge troll enable funny mega-turn games, but I don't see any reason the attack is there, like scrying pool it's a useless added power.
The fact that warrior can trash warrior bothers me a lot.
All events are cool.

Cards I don't understand at all :
Distant lands. Like Harem, it seems to be something you have to buy somewhere mid-game. Early game you have to build a little. Late game these probably worth nothing. I don't find situations where you really want Distant Lands, except weak boards with no target $5. But maybe I'm completely wrong because 4 points, hey, that's a lot. I don't know. But Island is more straightforward and seems better for me : good pseudo trashing + better opportunity cost + still worth something if you don't play it.
I like the concept of distant lands though, and I look forward to use it with ironmonger/highway+ironworks/Crossroads/evenscout and these things.
Also, the Page line. So, you gain a lot of treasures (which is at the same time a defense against warrior) then you have an amazing bonus for action cards ? Interestingly weird. Maybe it's not always worth the pain to go for the champion, maybe it's better to just stop at hero or treasure hunter. I don't know. Treasure hunter + Feodum in mirror would be crazy.

Strong cards :
I think the strongest card of the set is Treasure Trove. I agree that any board with treasure trove makes some BM strategy viable. For now, all the games that had treasure trove in it were treasure trove + something games. Then I would say Magpie and the Peasant line.
For events : Ferry is ridiculously cheap and you very often want to but it early.

Weak cards :
From my experience, Journey token cards (Giant and Ranger) were mostly trap, but in theory I would say they are ok, because cursing and draw are always good. Caravan guard is not amazing. But miser might be underrated I think. But no real weak cards overall I guess.

Other thoughts :
- I like how a few cards enable silver flooding a lot more than in previous sets (when we had masterpiece and trader mainly). Storyteller + Raid is awesome. Then we have Amulet, Treasure trove and Treasure Hunter. So, feodum gets better.
- I wonder how good or not is to set aside a lot of duplicates and/or royal carriage and go for megaturn. That was a trap in Guilds, when some people (including me) thought keeping coin tokens and go for megaturn was the best strategy.
- Do you think rats-ratcatcher is faster than ratcatcher only ? I would be pretty disappointed if this is a nombo.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
+2

Spy+Peasant is an interesting interaction I hadn't noticed. Spy is a cantrip attack, powering up Soldier with each play; Spy can help discard your opponent's Travellers, and Spy is also a good target for the eventual +Card token (or maybe +Coin if you already draw enough). It's probably not strong enough to call it a combo, but it's definitely a reason to not ignore Spy (which is fairly uncommon).

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
+4

perhaps the big thing i've noticed is that there are quite a few of the cool engine kingdoms now. like, there aren't really any slog cards (swamp hag can really only give a lot of curses if a player can play a lot of them and also if concentrates money) but rather nuanced payload (tokens? what!) and moderately fast engines that buy different cards.

peasant is way cooler than page and i think over time we'll start to rate it more highly than page. page is kinda cool in that it gives a bunch of things that engine doesn't really care for and then a busted engine card, so it's a different environment, but also champion means that about 3 kingdom cards will immediately become useless turn 11ish. peasant is one situational engine card, two that are pretty much always good but still require a lot of choosing, and two that are essentially placeholders but still do something that is interesting. also they're supergood for fairgrounds lmao
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:41:03 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »
+1

Yeah, the Page pin is powerful if uncontested but completely neutered if you both race for Champion. If you each have 2 Pages (you should) you'll both get to Champion within a turn or two of each other and the attack won't matter. Champion's effect is really nice but you have to sort through your extra Treasure and you probably don't have the gains to fill your deck with Smithy very quick. It honestly has less of an impact than I thought.

Teacher isn't always worth it, but if there are two or even one target(s) for it Teacher is absolutely mind warping. Disciple is good enough to warrant a second Peasant as well. Very powerful card. I think it's better than Page overall.

bug me on discord

they/them

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:43 pm »
+1

Most people here only care about 2P, especially in the context of online, and that's cool. I can see how Warrior is not that bad in 2P. In 3P the odds of someone getting pinned are probably more than doubled (more warriors being played, and one more player as a potential target). In the games before we banned it, it seemed like Page always caused one player, selected at random, to not just lose, but get brutalized - and you can't resign in a 3 player game. So for the online-only people who are just now experiencing Adventures, the hate for the card may seem overblown because the IRL experience is different.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:30 pm »

Magpie is overrated. This is not an early impression, though. This is after I've played with it for some time. Magpie is a great opening, but it is a weaker Wishing Well basically.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:42 pm »
+2

Magpie is overrated. This is not an early impression, though. This is after I've played with it for some time. Magpie is a great opening, but it is a weaker Wishing Well basically.

Are you gaining just one? That's the biggest mistake people make I think. You want 2 or 3 if you're trying to get the whole pile for tokens or whatever.

bug me on discord

they/them

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »

It's not a great card, but winning the split 8/2 is pretty strong. If just three of those hit treasures on average, you essentially ended up with three labs.

Anyway, the more I play with it, the less I feel I understand the card, and in what context to go for it heavy and when to best avoid it or not worry so much about the split.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »

Are you gaining just one? That's the biggest mistake people make I think. You want 2 or 3 if you're trying to get the whole pile for tokens or whatever.

No, of course you want to buy two. But I'm saying, it's not half as much of a game breaker as people thought it would be.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »

No, of course you want to buy two. But I'm saying, it's not half as much of a game breaker as people thought it would be.
If you end up with 10 in your deck, it most likely is game breaking.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »

Yes. It's like Fool's Gold. Amazing when you have all 10, but when everyone goes for it, it isn't half as good anymore.

It's not even that good late game, honestly. It's just a cantrip most of the time. It's best in the early game.

Max

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2016, 09:15:23 am »

I played a game today where my opponent got an 8/2 split having only bought one, and I bought 2. It was a little frustrating, but a bad split does make a difference when you have most of them they together add up to +3 or +4. As eventually you hit your treasures if you're playing many of them.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 12:42:08 pm »

Seaway on Feast is hot garbage.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 05:53:59 pm »

i thought magpie was way overblown too, but i dunno.  i had a game recently where i won the split 7/3 and won a game where my opponent had more storytellers & banks than me...

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 07:45:39 pm »
+1

i thought magpie was way overblown too, but i dunno.  i had a game recently where i won the split 7/3 and won a game where my opponent had more storytellers & banks than me...
(that was me)

Max

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2016, 03:08:21 pm »
+1

Artificer is a card that rewards being able to draw your deck twice. Which is neat.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2016, 03:30:08 pm »
+4

I played a game today where my opponent got an 8/2 split having only bought one, and I bought 2. It was a little frustrating, but a bad split does make a difference when you have most of them they together add up to +3 or +4. As eventually you hit your treasures if you're playing many of them.
Well, the thing is that if your Magpies are hitting Treasures early, you're getting less Magpies, but accelerating by drawing the Treasures. You go through your deck faster and will hit $5 earlier and more often. If you are just hitting Estates and other action cards, you get Magpies.

This might cause you to win the split at the cost of falling behind against an opponent who did get to draw and use more Treasures. You start feeling like the Spy idiot at this point. A lot of cantrips but very little economy.

I would often get a Magpie just to use it as an Ironmonger, but have little concern for winning the split.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 01:53:27 am »
+1

Play Traveller -> get next one in chain -> Herald overpay next turn to topdeck it -> profit
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

gkrieg13

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2016, 02:16:13 am »

Play Traveller -> get next one in chain -> Herald overpay next turn to topdeck it -> profit

You don't exchange before you buy though

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:17 am »
+1

You don't exchange before you buy though

In the game I played, we were both racing for Champion, and getting to upgrade every other turn was a big help.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:50 am »

Buying Inn also works.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
+2

Okay, Just had a game where I put the +$ and +card token on plaza. So by overdrawing plaza always discard copper and redraw it later. Then started to get all the distant lands and end the game in like 14 turns. Adventures is so much fun !

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2016, 09:02:11 pm »
+1

I just used ferry to prince maragrave and mountebank. Good times. I made my sister resolve the maragrave first so she ended up with a lot of 2 card hands.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2016, 09:35:39 pm »
+1

Ferry is nuts

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »

Ferry is nuts

and adds even more opening luck if you have altar or goons on the board.....

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2016, 08:31:23 pm »
+2

Traveling fair- Hermit
Topdeck your newly gained madman for faster deck acceleration.

Also if you play multiple hermits you can make sure they collide if that's something you want to do.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2016, 07:35:51 pm »

I just came up with an analogy: Distant Lands works like reverse cursing: you don't want that Sea Hag in your deck, but if you won't have her, you'll have ten curses instead. Same with Distant Lands: you would really like to keep building at that stage of the game, but if you won't start getting DL and your opponent will, those easy points will be lost for you.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2016, 07:39:29 pm »

The thing about Distant Lands in some engines, you can pick one of these up and keep building.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2016, 11:23:00 pm »
+3

I just came up with an analogy: Distant Lands works like reverse cursing: you don't want that Sea Hag in your deck, but if you won't have her, you'll have ten curses instead. Same with Distant Lands: you would really like to keep building at that stage of the game, but if you won't start getting DL and your opponent will, those easy points will be lost for you.

I mean, this seems like a more relevant analogy for Provinces.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:18 am »

I mean, this seems like a more relevant analogy for Provinces.

Hmm.. Lol. Well, yeah :)
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.