Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Miser is way underrated.  (Read 2024 times)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Miser is way underrated.
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:09 am »
+5

Unprettified Log

Here I show the power of playing Misers well.  I get two Misers, a single Wharf, and a bunch of COTRs.  By turn 13, I have a really thin deck with two massive payload cards, allowing me to double Province every turn.  The things to look for with Miser are cheap villages and +buy, maybe some draw, and not much else.  You just have to make sure you're committed to the Misers, and don't break down and play them for $3 when you could put a copper on your mat. 

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: Miser is way underrated.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:22 am »
+4

I really like Miser, and I agree it's underrated, but I can't help but wonder: wouldn't Coppersmith be better here? You're gonna draw your deck with impunity even without trashing, since you'll have massive draw with Wharf and Pathfinding, and plenty of Villages. Coppersmith effectively gives +$7, just like Miser, but you don't have to play a Coppersmith 7 times first and can spend your early turns buying and maybe Duplicating Wharves and Farming Villages.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 11:53:13 am »
+1

Miser always reminded me of Pirate Ship and Native Village for some reason.

Payload and psuedo-trashing in one card for $4 is pretty good.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:56 am »
+8

A deck which is mostly uncontested on Farming Villages / Wharves can empty the Provinces here in ~13-14 turns using Coppersmith.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160503/log.0.1462291074025.txt

I think for Miser work here you probably have to delay getting one a bit while you compete with some engine pieces and then hope you can play multiple a turn in the middle of the game to build up your money, but to me it looks totally outclassed by Coppersmith on this board.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:11:30 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:23:43 pm »

A deck which is mostly uncontested on Farming Villages / Wharves can empty the Provinces here in ~13-14 turns using Coppersmith.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160503/log.0.1462291074025.txt

I think for Miser work here you probably have to delay getting one a bit while you compete with some engine pieces and then hope you can play multiple a turn in the middle of the game to build up your money, but to me it looks totally outclassed by Coppersmith on this board.
i would be inclined to agree, maybe pathfinding on the farming one and then draw the deck real fast, and in the case where miser would get $7 after taking seven plays to do essentially nothing (draw is so good & reliable that copper is barely worse than not having it, especially on the current turn) coppersmith, on the other hand, is, bam, 7 buckeroonis. right now. kazow.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:13:53 am »

Nice to see my hunch was correct! I think I would've played the board in the exact same way, except maybe with a Duplicate thrown in somewhere. Do you think Duplicate is worth it on this board?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:45:22 am »

Nice to see my hunch was correct! I think I would've played the board in the exact same way, except maybe with a Duplicate thrown in somewhere. Do you think Duplicate is worth it on this board?

It could be, I was sort of thinking I'd rather just have Wharves for extra gains, but Duplicate might be good too. I just didn't ever get a strong enough urge to pick one up while playing. Pilgrimage could provide some nice value too, the problem there is delaying the new stuff for a turn, but it might be worth it as well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.