Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: What I've learnt from Adventures online...  (Read 57115 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: What I've learnt from Adventures online...
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2016, 02:46:26 am »

You can't put a token on an empty supply pile, so you should make sure you get that token *before* you buy out the actions...

I thought that this interaction was just for Seaway, which gains a card from a pile and puts your +buy token on that pile, and there's no such restriction for e.g., Teacher or the events like Lost Arts.

This is correct. Tokens can go on bought out piles unless it is Inheritance or Seaway which gains a card from said pile.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2016, 02:57:35 am »
+1

You can't put a token on an empty supply pile, so you should make sure you get that token *before* you buy out the actions...

I thought that this interaction was just for Seaway, which gains a card from a pile and puts your +buy token on that pile, and there's no such restriction for e.g., Teacher or the events like Lost Arts.

Actually, I realize the issue. In this game, we both put the Ferry token on Baker. We then tried to put a token onto Baker with Teacher and couldn't, but that's because it already had a Ferry token on it.

The official rules say that tokens can go on empty piles, so my post is completely wrong.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 02:58:04 am »
+1

I played >99% of my IRL games

Stef plays IRL Dominion? What a monster!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 04:06:56 am »
+1

I learned that there are lots of players who were completely oblivious to Adventures' existence prior to it showing up online. Like, for all I know they have no idea Dominion is a physical card game.

A lot of people who even play irl don't know Adventures exist. After Dark Ages and Guilds, a lot of people seemed to get out of Dominion. I actually bought two "complete" sets from people who got out of Dominion. It ends up Adventures was missing from both of those sets.

It's a shame. Adventures is a great expansion. Well, hopefully, it being online raises awareness for it.

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 08:06:45 am »
+1

I played a game yesterday where both my inheritance token and my +1 action token were on misers. When I played a miser I got +1 action. When I played an estate, I got to use the abilities of the miser, but did not get +1 action. Is this according to the rules or is it an error in programming?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 08:10:10 am »
+2

I played a game yesterday where both my inheritance token and my +1 action token were on misers. When I played a miser I got +1 action. When I played an estate, I got to use the abilities of the miser, but did not get +1 action. Is this according to the rules or is it an error in programming?

From the rule book: Your Estates only copy abilities and types; they do not copy cost, name, or what pile they are from (thus they don't trigger tokens like +1 Action on the copied pile.

However, an interesting and unrelated thing to note is, according to the rules, you should be able to set aside Inherited Estates with Prince. The Estate becomes Action-Victory when you Inherit it, because Estates would copy the type of the card (but not the cost). Both Estates and Prince can use $4 Action cards or below, but it's still something useful to note.

However, don't start thinking you can gain Estates with Universities. Inherited Estates are not triggered until they are yours. There are all sorts of rules complications with this, but the owning Estates bit and the Abilities and Type only being gained by Estate is the basic gist of Inheritance.

Seriously, guys. Inheritance is going to give people headaches. I understand the card, but it took me like 10 minutes to get everything about it. :p
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:17:51 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:28 am »
+3

Was playing a bot game, Saved a Copper, then the bot played Militia.  I stared at my screen for a minute muttering "I already discarded two cards, why do I have to discard more?" clearly staring at 4 cards in my hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

papadjango

• Baron
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2016, 09:14:01 am »
+1

I had a wonderful expierence yestery with ferry and lost arts on goons!
A mini-engine with just goons is very fine!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2016, 09:38:20 am »
+3

So, I just transmogrified for a Nomad Camp and it landed on top of my deck, I should be able to choose where I put it, as both trigger at the same time, right?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:28 am »

For my part, I discovered yesterday that if Page/Peasant is in the Black Market, then the relevant upgrade cards will appear in the kingdom, as per the setup rules, but there will be no way to access them because there is no pile to return the Page/Peasant to to exchange.  How odd!

Sounds like a bug. There is absolutely no reason to include Traveller upgrade cards when there's no way to get them, it just creates confusion.

It's how the rules actually are though.

Do you mean because it says "If Page or Peasant is being used in a game..."?
That's clearly not the intention though. It's like the definition for when an Estate is yours (for example). It's not 100% accurate, but we get the intention.
The intention, and the rule, is that you include non-Kingdom cards when there is a possibility of gaining them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 10:11:03 am »

So, I just transmogrified for a Nomad Camp and it landed on top of my deck, I should be able to choose where I put it, as both trigger at the same time, right?

...yes.  Well, they're not triggers.  They're changes to the gain location.  And you pick which one takes precedence.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 10:20:04 am »

I found it impossible to Royal Carriage my Disciple last night. Probably there's some way to do it right, it's not intuitive  :o
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 10:55:03 am »
+1

...yes.  Well, they're not triggers.  They're changes to the gain location.  And you pick which one takes precedence.

Actually I think Transmogrify should trump Nomad Camp. Nomad Camp just has a different default gain destination, and anything else overrides that. Similarly, you cannot normally choose to put Transmogrified cards in your discard pile.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:52 am »

I found it impossible to Royal Carriage my Disciple last night. Probably there's some way to do it right, it's not intuitive  :o

Disciple doesn't finish resolving until you finish resolving what it played twice.  There should be a tooltip asking if you want to call RC on the twice-played card, then you can hit "done", then there should be a tooltip asking if you want to call RC on the Disciple.  If not, yell at MF.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:59 am »
+11

Another thing: If your plan is to win by a 3-pile which includes pages, do not mindlessly click "resolve all" after the pileout if you have four pages in play....
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:56 am »
+8

You probably want to play your Treasures before buying Borrow.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:25 am »

Actually I think Transmogrify should trump Nomad Camp. Nomad Camp just has a different default gain destination, and anything else overrides that. Similarly, you cannot normally choose to put Transmogrified cards in your discard pile.
Doesn't it get gained first, and then you put it in the hand? And once NC is put on top of the deck, "lose track" applies such that it doesn't end up in your hand?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:29 am »

Doesn't it get gained first, and then you put it in the hand? And once NC is put on top of the deck, "lose track" applies such that it doesn't end up in your hand?

I believe the intent with Transmogrify is that the gained card does not visit your discard pile (or in this case your deck). But even if Nomad Camp did land on your deck, Transmogrify could find it; see the similar ruling for Summon.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:49:31 am by LastFootnote »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »

Disciple doesn't finish resolving until you finish resolving what it played twice.  There should be a tooltip asking if you want to call RC on the twice-played card, then you can hit "done", then there should be a tooltip asking if you want to call RC on the Disciple.  If not, yell at MF.

That's how it works. It's just not very intuitively set up.

Philothea

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 01:13:29 pm »
+1

For my part, I discovered yesterday that if Page/Peasant is in the Black Market, then the relevant upgrade cards will appear in the kingdom, as per the setup rules, but there will be no way to access them because there is no pile to return the Page/Peasant to to exchange.  How odd!

Thanks for this. It had me baffled yesterday, I thought it was a bug.

Philothea

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 01:21:48 pm »
+1

Sounds like a bug. There is absolutely no reason to include Traveller upgrade cards when there's no way to get them, it just creates confusion.

Well, they put Treasure Map in BM decks which is useless without a second one. You just ignore it in the BM deck but sometimes newbies fall for it.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »

Nomad Camp and Transmogrify do indeed have the same timing, and you should be able to choose whether Nomad Camp goes to your deck or your hand.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 01:47:52 pm »

Well, they put Treasure Map in BM decks which is useless without a second one. You just ignore it in the BM deck but sometimes newbies fall for it.

Yes... I never said that Traveller cards should not be in the BM deck.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:34 pm »

I believe the intent with Transmogrify is that the gained card does not visit your discard pile (or in this case your deck). But even if Nomad Camp did land on your deck, Transmogrify could find it; see the similar ruling for Summon.

Any card that gains a card, and gains them to somewhere other than your discard, the gained card does not visit your discard.  Making a full article on this is on my list of things to do for the wiki.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »

Nomad Camp and Transmogrify do indeed have the same timing, and you should be able to choose whether Nomad Camp goes to your deck or your hand.

But they don't!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.