Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A pile-control Event idea  (Read 1829 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
A pile-control Event idea
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:43:35 am »

Does this make sense as an idea? Is it balanceable?

????
$? - Event
Once per turn: When you buy this, you may overpay. If you do, choose a non-empty Supply pile costing the amount you overpaid and remove it from the Supply until the start of your next turn.

The idea being that you can pay to make a certain card unavailable for purchase (along with other tricks), but you have to pay the card's cost to do so. For the sake of not making it completely stupid, I would rule that you ignore that pile completely for the purpose of checking game-end conditions, meaning that making the Provinces disappear doesn't end the game immediately. The non-empty pile is mainly so you aren't expected to remember how much a card costs, but it has other effects. I would mostly anticipate this being used to try to control endgame to an extent, especially where PPR or a similar effect is in play or when you think your opponent is about to megaturn and you're only a turn away from your own.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: A pile-control Event idea
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:49:34 am »

I think you can solve this more elegantly with a simple token, cards from that pile can nog longer be gained.

Like a super-Embargo.

Maybe you can change it to: either place, move or remove the token from a pile.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:00:35 am »
+2

Q. What is the cost of Knights' pile?

Well, I think this is bad idea because this can wipe out other players' turn if stacked (in multiplayers games). Embargo is fine because it penalizes, but not completely blocks other players' strategies. They can still gain cards (gaining one or more curses). They have choices.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:02:54 am by majiponi »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:30:27 am »

Why not: 'Once per turn: When you buy this, you may overpay. If you do, choose a non-empty Supply pile costing the amount you overpaid. That pile does not count towards the end game conditions until the start of your next turn."

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:28:08 pm »

Paying the cost of a Province so that nobody is able to buy a Province seems so weak to me and far too situational.
Same goes with other cards. Why not "the cost of that pile +$2" instead (considering that Knights cost $5 due to their randomizer card http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Knight ), even though it may turn the game into something boring if bought too many times in a row by several players.
And if you block Provinces for me, then I can block Duchies for you, and most games don't include alt-VP cards. So there should be other ideas, such as "that card costs $2 more during buy phase"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:30:27 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »

Yet another different version that might accomplish something similar:

Roadblock
Event - $5

Place the Roadblock token on a supply pile.  The game cannot end while that pile has any cards in it.

(There is only one Roadblock token shared by all players.  The token can be placed on an empty supply pile.)

----

This allows you to extend the endgame, but everyone else has the chance to mess with it.

Fun times:  Place the Roadblock token on the Curse pile!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »
+2

There's a similar card called "Crop Rotation" that seems pretty balanced to me. I suggest you take a look at it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.173 seconds with 20 queries.