Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Making Fun Deleting Evidence that they are losing license  (Read 4172 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Making Fun Deleting Evidence that they are losing license
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:11:03 pm »
+4

I posted about how MF is losing the license in their thread on the release of Adventures, which they have since deleted: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?10154-Release-Notes-v-2-1-with-Adventures&p=54441#post54441

Not only is Making Fun misinforming customers by not telling them that their license ends at the end of 2016, they deleted my post to actively conceal that fact. I had posted:

Quote from: JW_fds
This is great. Everyone should note, though, that Making Fun's license expires at the end of 2016. The creators of the new implementation will give you previous purchases for a year for online play (and there will be some kind of a la carte pricing if you only need to purchase a very small number of additional sets per month).  Purchasing a set from Making Fun means mainly paying for the set through the end of 2016 when Making Fun loses the license. So if you buy Adventures the vast majority of your purchase price (minus the small discount next year) is just paying for through the end of 2016.

Quote from: Stef, creator of the new implementation
We will be selling two different products: Dominion Online and Dominion Offline. In Dominion Offline you can buy expansions, and use them to play random boards, selfmade boards or campaigns against AI. For Dominion Online you will have to buy a monthly subscription. This does not require you to own the expansions offline. Online you can play against other players or against AI.
Exact prices are yet to be determined, but you can expect them to be around $3-$8 per expansion offline (depending on the expansion size) and $3/month online (for all expansions, $2/month for half the expansions). Existing users will be offered a choice: they either get their expansions transferred to 'Dominion Offline', or they get their expansions Online for the period of one year.

I re-posted the same message here, but don't expect it to last for long. Edit: it's been deleted as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:25:31 pm by JW »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Making Fun Deleting Evidence that they are losing license
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:48:56 pm »

Well, the second link in your post is still the top thread in that subforum, so it's not exactly hidden...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:58:29 pm »

Not surprised. If that drops out, they just lost tons of money.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:05:15 pm »

I mean, it's a difficult situation for them too. They work on this expansion forever, and when they finally release it, word comes out that they are dropping their service, so nobody buys the expansion, and all those man-hours are for naught. I can sort of understand.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:17:22 pm »

Well, the second link in your post is still the top thread in that subforum, so it's not exactly hidden...

That thread isn’t hidden, but the title doesn't even speak to the fact that they're losing the license, and you have to go well into the thread to see Donald's post that purchases won't carry over (they haven’t updated the initial post, which only says that "Donald and Jay have committed to honoring your previous purchases in their new version"). If they really wanted to inform people they'd tell people at the point of purchase that they are only buying the product through December 2016. I haven't logged on to check but I don't think anyone who bought Adventures already reported on being informed as such directly.

I wonder what percentage of their sales since they posted that they lost the license are to people who don't understand that Making Fun is losing the license, or the percentage since Stef's announcement who won't understand that sets won't carry over for more than a year. I assume that less than 1% of purchasers read the Terms of Service.

I mean, it's a difficult situation for them too. They work on this expansion forever, and when they finally release it, word comes out that they are dropping their service, so nobody buys the expansion, and all those man-hours are for naught. I can sort of understand.

It can't happen because of the contracts already negotiated, but my ideal would be: starting now, Making Fun has to inform everyone directly that they're purchasing the sets only through December 31 (not in terms of service, but right up front), Stef/SCSN have no obligation to provide anything past that to someone who purchases from here on out, and Making Fun is allowed to charge a lower price for sets (since they're not promising any obligation by their successor).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:19:46 pm »

Your second post has also been deleted.

Well, if they had finished this, like, three months ago, when they said they were going to, they might not have been in this situation.  Also, if they had actually paid Donald/RGG more than the pittance they've apparently given them.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:32:36 pm »
+1

It's hard to agree with them deleting truthful information about their product, especially when they are basically selling a lie by omission. I understand the position they are in, but it is kind of entirely their own doing. Yet another shady move from a disappointing company overall.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DavidMakingFun

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:51:53 pm »
+10

Hi, all.

In an effort at transparency, here is the text of the two PMs that I sent OP after removing his second post. He can post images of this to confirm if he wishes.

Hi there. Your post was deleted (again). There is a thread where John first announced the change in developers. That's the appropriate place to discuss this topic. The release notes thread is for the release notes, feedback on the release itself, and reports of any issues with the new clients that people may have.

Thanks.

15 minutes prior to his second post here, I sent him this clarifying PM.
Quote from: David (Admin)
In the context of your f.ds thread, John announced this in February as you see in this thread which I referenced in my previous PM: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?8711-2016-plan-future

You will also note that Jeff's release notes point out new Terms of Service. You will also find those Terms of Service linked at purchase points in the game. If you wish to change your f.ds thread to reflect that we are not misinforming customers, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

To reinforce the above, John first publicized this change in February. Moreover, Jeff's Release Notes plainly indicate new Terms Of Service. Those Terms Of Service also appear at purchase points in the game, something that was included for this build in light of the change in licensing. EDIT: This is in the specs to be included. I must have seen it in a test build.

As Kirian notes, JW's other post has remained intact. As I note in my first PM above, a thread exists where discussion has been ongoing and left alone thus far. We think it reasonable to remove a post from our own site that encourages people to not buy our product.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:09:39 pm by DavidMakingFun »

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:19 am »
+4

To reinforce the above, John first publicized this change in February. Moreover, Jeff's Release Notes plainly indicate new Terms Of Service. Those Terms Of Service also appear at purchase points in the game, something that was included for this build in light of the change in licensing. EDIT: This is in the specs to be included. I must have seen it in a test build.

As Kirian notes, JW's other post has remained intact. As I note in my first PM above, a thread exists where discussion has been ongoing and left alone thus far. We think it reasonable to remove a post from our own site that encourages people to not buy our product.

Let's be clear: even if the terms of service is linked in a post, or in the future if it's linked in the purchase process, very few people will read the terms of service. There's nothing that appears to tell prospective purchasers that they're only buying the sets for a limited period of time (which I couldn't confirm because I don't have enough remaining ducats to purchase Adventures).

The point of my post wasn't to encourage people not to buy your product, but rather to ensure that people know what they are buying before they buy. I don't dislike your company or your product- I dislike people being misled about what they're buying. I'm sure if I posted nothing other than a quote of your own updated terms of service about the license expiring in 2017, that would have been deleted as well.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 01:46:28 am »
+13

Making Fun taking swift and decisive action, I never thought we'd see the day.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:15:20 am »
+5

We think it reasonable to remove a post from our own site that encourages people to not buy our product.

I agree, the announcement thread is probably the one place not to complain about Making Fun

Let them have their ... fun

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:33:51 am »

IMHO, deleting posts is rarely acceptable and too harsh a measure.

You're better off reacting to them directly.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:25 am »
+2

Making Fun taking swift and decisive action, I never thought we'd see the day.

SheCan'tHoldBackAnyPunches
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.