Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cultist Fail  (Read 1197 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Cultist Fail
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:36 pm »
+1

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160428/log.0.1461866343389.txt

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Forager, Armory, Marauder, Remodel, Young Witch, Golem, Counting House, Cultist, Haggler, Trading Post
bane: Forager

I opened Silver/Silver, but I hadn't bought a single Cultist until turn 5 and I didn't even play one until turn 8. By then, I already had 3 Ruins in my deck from Marauder, and my opponent was correctly building a Golem engine. I got some Foragers to thin down, and that may have been a slight mistake earlier on. My opponent's Golem engine would have been garbage if I had gotten my Cultists off much sooner, so I blame my loss on that, but I feel as if I still was in this game and I made some serious blunders afterwards.

Something I could have done was build my own Golem engine. I also didn't get Gold, and I had so much junk in my deck. I think building the counter Golem Engine was the best play I could have done, and I didn't do it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:10:44 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
Re: Cultist Fail
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »

I think I would have opened Silver/Silver as well to get to Cultist as quick as possible.  Then a potion to get a couple Golems, followed by a few more Cultists and a Remodel.  If my deck got really junked up, maybe a Forager.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:34:49 pm »
+7

The Forager/Marauder open will hit Marauder once on T3/4 again on T5/6 and then a 3rd time between Turns 7-9.   Assuming reasonable draws you get 3 Cultists in your deck by the end of Turn 6.  At this point you've played 1 or 2 Cultists ($5/$5 on T3/T4).  Turns 7 and 8 should cycle through your 3 Cultists.  Then 9 and 10 should do the same.  My rough guess is that you will get around 8 Cultist plays by turn 10.  In that time your opponent will have been able to hit you 2 or 3 times with Marauder.

Even if you got your Cultists off at the beginning, you really are playing Cultist/BM in the initial part of the game.  The challenge of transitioning from this strategy to engine lies in the lack of a village.  To trash down you must have your thinner in hand before playing any Cultist.  Yes, you can buy Golem, but unless it hits a Forager your turn is over.  As I see it, a Silver/Silver opening into Cultist pigeon holes you into playing Cultist/BM due to lack of viable transitions.  Even going for Golem is tricky as you first need Potion and then get to Golem.

I don't like how many Silvers your opponent got.  With as many as they did they seriously risked getting bogged down in Cultist Curses.  The Spoils from Marauder allow for skipping Silver entirely here.  Getting 3 Foragers (thanks JW) is the magic number to trash down quickly enough and stay slim in the face of Cultist.  You can also spike a $5 from Marauder.

The way I see it is first survive the Ruin onslaught with Forager.  This also protects against YW Cursing.  Then transition into Haggler/BM to gain Gold from Province buys.  Finish the game by Remodeling Gold/Province into Province.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:56:04 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:51 pm »
+1

Getting 3 of them is the magic number to trash down quickly enough and stay slim in the face of Cultist.  You can also spike a $5 from Marauder.

Clarifying that the post means 3 Foragers.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.