Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  All

Author Topic: "Features" threads  (Read 90190 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Re: "Features" threads
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2017, 03:22:19 pm »

The Undo feature is nice but if there was no new information revealed (eg didn't draw or reveal any cards, didn't play an attack that could trigger a reaction etc.), you shouldn't have to ask for permission. IIRC isotropic was like that.
I  think Stef said, that is planned.

trazoM

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: trazoM
  • Gardener
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »

If I remember it correctly, there should be some modes: Always Undo, Ask if information revealed, Always ask.

avorian

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:06 am »

This doesn't actually make mistakes any easier to avoid perse, but I think in general any time that playing a treasure triggers a nontrivial effect, it should be excluded from autoplay. Autoplay in turn should just play the treasures in lumps, not some arbitrary order.

Mainly I'm just confused as to how Sauna/Silver interactions ended up operating the way they do. My treasure in hand is played seemingly in a random order (presumably the order it was drawn in?), and whenever a silver appears suddenyl the sauna's activate in the middle of the autoplay.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2017, 03:51:24 pm »

RE: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16817.0

Being able to record macros would be cool. You click record, do some things, then hit stop once you've done all the steps you want to repeat. Then there's a button you click once to replay the whole sequence of events.

For the Highway/Goons/Forum/Trader example wero gives, the macro would only have these steps:

1) buy Forum
2) reveal Trader to (attempt to) gain Silver instead of Forum

Maybe there would be a button to repeat the macro 10x, or maybe even an input box where you could repeat the steps some number of times.

I think it wouldn't need infinite combos to be useful, it could also be useful for sequences like

1) play Village
2) play Smithy

Where you know you probably want to play Village+Smithy as much as possible, and why not play those cards by clicking once instead of clicking twice, especially since the locations of the two clicks could be changing position as the cards in your hand change.

And if the macro hit an instruction that it couldn't repeat, eg it plays a Village, but then you don't have a Smithy in hand, it would stop executing after the last successful action. This partial execution could of course be problematic in some situations if you are mistaken about how many times you can repeat a chain of actions, which is why this would be an "advanced user", use-at-your-own-risk feature.

Clearly this is a low-priority, "wouldn't that be neat" kind of feature but this thread seemed like the place to post this idea.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:36 pm »
+2

RE: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16817.0

Being able to record macros would be cool. You click record, do some things, then hit stop once you've done all the steps you want to repeat. Then there's a button you click once to replay the whole sequence of events.

For the Highway/Goons/Forum/Trader example wero gives, the macro would only have these steps:

1) buy Forum
2) reveal Trader to (attempt to) gain Silver instead of Forum

Maybe there would be a button to repeat the macro 10x, or maybe even an input box where you could repeat the steps some number of times.

I think it wouldn't need infinite combos to be useful, it could also be useful for sequences like

1) play Village
2) play Smithy

Where you know you probably want to play Village+Smithy as much as possible, and why not play those cards by clicking once instead of clicking twice, especially since the locations of the two clicks could be changing position as the cards in your hand change.

And if the macro hit an instruction that it couldn't repeat, eg it plays a Village, but then you don't have a Smithy in hand, it would stop executing after the last successful action. This partial execution could of course be problematic in some situations if you are mistaken about how many times you can repeat a chain of actions, which is why this would be an "advanced user", use-at-your-own-risk feature.

Clearly this is a low-priority, "wouldn't that be neat" kind of feature but this thread seemed like the place to post this idea.

I feel like this gets into a slippery slope. Like, your idea isn't that far from "auto-play all my Villages at the start of my turn". And eventually, it's just the computer playing for you, while you choose what to buy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:28 pm »
+1

Prismata's Q feature (automatically makes some trivial/easy decisions for the player when you press Q) is pretty amazing and not at all a slippery slope. Although it's a little different from michaeljb's suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:29:49 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2017, 10:15:14 pm »
+2

I'll put this here before I forget. After a game there should be an option to not play another game apart from Leave, so your opponent isn't sitting there waiting for a rematch while you're looking at the post-game screen with no intention to play again.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:11 pm »

I'll put this here before I forget. After a game there should be an option to not play another game apart from Leave, so your opponent isn't sitting there waiting for a rematch while you're looking at the post-game screen with no intention to play again.

You still have access to the chat so you could just tell him/her you aren't going to play again but you are just looking at that screen so they can leave.  I don't see the need to have a special button to tell them that.
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
+1

You still have access to the chat so you could just tell him/her you aren't going to play again but you are just looking at that screen so they can leave.  I don't see the need to have a special button to tell them that.

People just aren't going to do that if you haven't already been chatting. Maybe "Offer Rematch", forcing you to Accept or Decline would be better.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »

People just aren't going to do that if you haven't already been chatting. Maybe "Offer Rematch", forcing you to Accept or Decline would be better.

Whether or not people do it is their own choice. Given other issues that actually affect gameplay which have been well-documented, I just don't think this is a button that needs to be added since there is a way to communicate the same thing already in place. Eventually though, I guess I could see something like that being more useful.  I will admit, the "Offer Rematch" button does sound better than the "I don't want to play again" button  :P
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2017, 12:09:55 am »
+2

The Undo feature is nice but if there was no new information revealed (eg didn't draw or reveal any cards, didn't play an attack that could trigger a reaction etc.), you shouldn't have to ask for permission. IIRC isotropic was like that.

This is why I was confused the first time that I tried an Undo against a human opponent (I had been playing bots and using it liberally).  I thought the point was that you would be able to undo anything that you changed your mind on due entirely to thought processes in your head (or more likely, misclicks), but not anything that generated new information for you.  Prismata you can undo your entire turn (including receiving damage!), but as a deterministic game of complete information, that's never a problem.  I would hope that it would be easy to determine exactly when more information is given to a player, even in a naive way that means forgetting that your opponent has a reaction and that your deck is stacked a certain way (from Apothecary or whatever), just so I don't have to be at the mercy of my opponent when I play my Crown in my action phase when attempting to use it on treasure (is there a better way to fix this perhaps?).
Stop reading my signature.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2017, 12:18:22 am »

Another test for "Are you sure" - playing Crown in your action phase when it's the only Action in your hand.

I just saw this on the previous page; I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as a potential problem.  Is there any benefit to playing a Crown as an action while having no actions in hand?  Doesn't Peddler count it as an action in play regardless of whether it was played as an action or treasure?  Even if through some convoluted method involving, say, Bonfire, Cultist, and Villa, you return to your action phase, not having the Crown in your hand is pretty much always a net minus.  A very convoluted edge case I can think of is if you then draw Golem off the Cultist trashing, think you might hit Ambassador, and don't want to be forced to give your opponent a Crown if it ends up as the only card in your hand, and at the same time don't want to Crown the Golem so as to increase the chances of needing to Ambassador something you don't want to give away.  But that's so ridiculous to conceive of that I think having the game default to moving to your buy phase if you play Crown with no action cards in hand.  You probably should also be able to retroactively move to your buy phase by choosing to Crown a treasure even if you have another action in your hand.
Stop reading my signature.

yed

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2017, 02:45:59 am »

Another test for "Are you sure" - playing Crown in your action phase when it's the only Action in your hand.

I just saw this on the previous page; I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as a potential problem.  Is there any benefit to playing a Crown as an action while having no actions in hand?  Doesn't Peddler count it as an action in play regardless of whether it was played as an action or treasure?  Even if through some convoluted method involving, say, Bonfire, Cultist, and Villa, you return to your action phase, not having the Crown in your hand is pretty much always a net minus.  A very convoluted edge case I can think of is if you then draw Golem off the Cultist trashing, think you might hit Ambassador, and don't want to be forced to give your opponent a Crown if it ends up as the only card in your hand, and at the same time don't want to Crown the Golem so as to increase the chances of needing to Ambassador something you don't want to give away.  But that's so ridiculous to conceive of that I think having the game default to moving to your buy phase if you play Crown with no action cards in hand.  You probably should also be able to retroactively move to your buy phase by choosing to Crown a treasure even if you have another action in your hand.
See this big discussion
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1046

yed

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2017, 02:47:50 am »

This is why I was confused the first time that I tried an Undo against a human opponent (I had been playing bots and using it liberally).  I thought the point was that you would be able to undo anything that you changed your mind on due entirely to thought processes in your head (or more likely, misclicks), but not anything that generated new information for you.  Prismata you can undo your entire turn (including receiving damage!), but as a deterministic game of complete information, that's never a problem.  I would hope that it would be easy to determine exactly when more information is given to a player, even in a naive way that means forgetting that your opponent has a reaction and that your deck is stacked a certain way (from Apothecary or whatever), just so I don't have to be at the mercy of my opponent when I play my Crown in my action phase when attempting to use it on treasure (is there a better way to fix this perhaps?).
Stef plans it, just not enough time now.
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=604.msg2037#msg2037
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:30:47 am by yed »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.