Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Author Topic: "Features" threads  (Read 90396 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: "Features" threads
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2016, 05:23:03 pm »
+2

It would be great to have a way to offer a draw (as if the game was tied).

Or.... Ban Possession.

I'd certainly be happy with "veto lists" where cards randomly added to Kingdoms (and the Black Market) don't use cards that all players have on their veto lists. Then hopefully everyone else also wants to veto Possession, Cultist, and Rebuild.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2016, 07:30:24 pm »

It would be great to have a way to offer a draw (as if the game was tied).

Yeah... so I am pretty swayed toward the degenerate case here actually. When you can reach a deck that plays more than 1 Possession a turn without falling super far behind, the goal turns into building this up as quickly as possible and then destroying your own economy. You can destroy your own economy instantly with Donate, and leave your deck in debt so your opponent can't use it. If this is mirrored, the game is locked out and you starve to death.

Or.... Ban Possession.
I'm not opposed to this

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2016, 09:32:54 pm »

If the new client implements a point counter, I would like for there to somehow be an option to show how many points are the result of Landmarks, unless Landmark points aren't going to be calculated for the point counter until the end of the game. I think cards like Keep, Triumphal Arch, and Orchard will make the source of points on the point counter very ambiguous, and you might not be aware of how a single purchase/gain can result in a massive point swing on the last turn.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2016, 08:01:10 am »
+7

How about a button that instantly calls Donald on Skype to ask for advice on the current kingdom? Ideally, and reasonably, it should also send the current kingdom immediately to him and the current cards that me and my opponent have for ideal advice.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2016, 12:52:52 pm »
+1

I'd rather have Stef or SCSN on the "Moscow-Washingtonesque" Dominion red phone, but hey, Donald is a nice 3rd place. I'm sure he'd charge $5 a minute though. You know, because they can't all be the best $5-a-minute phone service ever.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2016, 03:41:09 am »
+2

Hi,

I never posted in this forum.
My only hope is to find a good matchmaking and I think you have already all the good ideas for that.
I don't want to see what MF answered me in this thread : http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?10729-Random-is-not-random

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2016, 04:18:20 am »
+1

Hi,

I never posted in this forum.

Hi Emeric, and welcome to the forum!

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2016, 05:18:08 am »

Hi ;) I would say never in this thread ;) but often in the forum ;)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »

I think we don't really know what biased kingdom selection features will look like early on, but I think it's not hard to agree that unilateral kingdom biasing should be removed so I doubt you'll have to put up with it under the new overlords.

feardaram

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2016, 12:10:59 pm »
+4

Registered just to mention the one feature I've been hoping for ever since this new matchmaking mechanism came out: the ability to see who you're matched up with (and their stats) and accept/decline the match prior to starting a game. I've lost count of the number of times I've been put right back into a game with someone I just played who did extreme slow play once they were losing, just generally played slower then I can stand/have time for, or for whatever reason I just don't want to play again (at least right now). This is somewhat similar to a blacklist feature but at times there are players I don't want to get matched with right now but maybe in the future. Having no control over who you get put into a game with is frustrating and should be a basic fix.

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2016, 03:12:27 pm »

I am very much convinced that the new Dominion client will be wonderful, having seen what SCSN implemented with the MFM. Therefore I am expecting it to exceed my expectations anyway.

What I currently miss very much is indeed a proper matchmaking that enables me to play against sincere, serious players who love a good game; and not some random dudes that are writing questionmarks in the chat after only 60 secs of initial consideration time (which are that type of people that continue during the game to try making me play faster by writing further remarks - as if that helps).

I do know that a lot of thought is necessary for the designers to ensure a good online experience and that there are many possibilities (whitelists, blacklists, options for gameseeking, quantifier for the strictness of these options, etc.) to achieve this. Here I also trust in the programming team and I do not expect a perfect solution out of the box.

Maybe an option to mute your opponent would be nice - and an option for a bot to take over for you when you get slowplayed, but dont want to relent and resign. Or an option where you could choose you playing speed: slow, medium, fast.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:42:53 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »

That's another thing that will probably be mitigated by sufficiently good matchmaking.  I didn't really deal with that at rank 30 on isotropic, probably because if you never take 40 seconds to consider a board you have trouble getting to rank 30.

The most important thing is whether there will be a big enough playerbase to have a good close match to pair you with.  Hopefully subscription doesn't turn people off enough for that to be a problem.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2016, 04:38:02 pm »
+1

paying $150 up front seems more of a turn off than $3 a month.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2016, 03:43:07 am »
+2

What I currently miss very much is indeed a proper matchmaking that enables me to play against sincere, serious players who love a good game; and not some random dudes that are writing questionmarks in the chat after only 60 secs of initial consideration time.

A "?" is a reasonable check if someone is there, when you now and then are matched with people who just don't do anything at all, and then disappear.

Just make your presence known. If you don't chat, then play your treasures after thinking for some time (inb4 Alms) so the opponent sees that there is somewhere there.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2016, 07:06:42 am »
+1

What I currently miss very much is indeed a proper matchmaking that enables me to play against sincere, serious players who love a good game; and not some random dudes that are writing questionmarks in the chat after only 60 secs of initial consideration time.

A "?" is a reasonable check if someone is there, when you now and then are matched with people who just don't do anything at all, and then disappear.

Just make your presence known. If you don't chat, then play your treasures after thinking for some time (inb4 Alms) so the opponent sees that there is somewhere there.

This is the actual reason to type out "good luck, have fun!" before every match - sure it's to be nice to your opponent or whatever, but what you're really saying is "I'm a person and I am actually here, looking at the Kingdom".
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:46 pm »
+1

By the plural "question marks", I assumed he meant "???".  Which has a different connotation.

"?" is, are you there? just thinking?  "???" is, why are you taking this long?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »
+2

This is the actual reason to type out "good luck, have fun!" before every match - sure it's to be nice to your opponent or whatever, but what you're really saying is "I'm a person and I am actually here, looking at the Kingdom".

Or "I use a client that sends an automatic canned message at the start of each game" :-)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2016, 04:47:15 pm »
+2

Just say something weird and garden pathy, like "The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families." By the time your opponent is finished thinking about the weirdness and complexity of the sentence, you will have thought of a strategy. Maybe your opponent will even time out, netting you a free win.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2016, 03:58:29 am »
+6

Just say something weird and garden pathy, like "The complex houses married and single soldiers and their families." By the time your opponent is finished thinking about the weirdness and complexity of the sentence, you will have thought of a strategy. Maybe your opponent will even time out, netting you a free win.

I tried saying "This statement is false" to Lord Bottington, but it didn't find anything wrong with that. Talk about shabby programming.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2016, 09:04:37 am »

I tried saying "This statement is false" to Lord Bottington, but it didn't find anything wrong with that. Talk about shabby programming.

They need to program the bots to chat with you!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2016, 11:12:14 am »

They need to program the bots to chat with you!

The chat of Lord Bottington:
"You'll never beat my Big Money Rats strategy!"
"Behold, I play Laboratory! That allows me to draw two more cards!"
"I see you've bought the 7th Province. Foolish boy, this fight is not over yet!"
"...do you dream of electric sheep?"
"Rats!"
"Eyyy, Aye!"

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2016, 02:35:03 am »

Adjusting the volume of the sound should be possible.

I have no idea why that is not possible in the current client.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2016, 04:55:12 am »
+7

Adjusting the volume of the sound should be possible.

I have no idea why that is not possible in the current client.

At least 3 volume controls please.

1) Music
2) Sounds effects
3) Notifications (your turn to act, game found)
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Sciserr

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2016, 09:55:10 am »
+3

This might already have been covered, but these are the features I think will resonate best with the Dominion demographic:

1. In-depth player statistics aggregate. I wanna see how much I suck with Tactician, or how much I overestimate my 5/2-skills on Mountebank-boards. Winrates, game length, buy-frequency - you name it!  As mentioned earlier in this thread, ingame access to such a stats profile would be really neat. On a strategically ambiguous board, it would be fun to know your opponent's buying tendencies. Meta-strats.

2. A rating system that inspires improvement. I want a badge showcasing how much I suck, and complementary extravagant badges glorifying the very best of the best. The underlying MMR doesnt have to be hidden, but simply supplemented by something flashier than a 4-digit number. Starcraft does this in a semi-decent fashion, disabling mid-season demotions. In this sense, everybody gets the illusion of progressing throughout the season (a la Hearthstone).

These features might be mostly cosmetic, but their importance for game enjoyment is of great significance IMO.
Late to the dominion party - compensatory excessive drinking initiated!

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2016, 01:59:43 pm »
+1

Two gameplay ideas that could be discussed:

1. The first thing came into my mind because Donald had suggested it a 2 years ago to MF. Maybe you have already covered it to be more consistent with the rules. It is considering discarding multiple cards from the hand at the same time. I think Donald gave the example for Militia. You would have a "choose cards" phase for selecting/ deselecting the cards to discard, then discard afterwards. Something like this could be done for playing Treasures as well. At the start of the Buy phase, all Treasures are highlighted by default, and you could click on them to remove the highlighting, so they don't get played by the "play all Treasures" button.

2. How about a possibility to turn on default settings that work on specific card effects? E.g. you could do the straightforward start-of-turn effects (Caravan, Wharf, Merchant Ship etc.) automatically at the very start of the turn (before doing crazier stuff like Dungeon). So the player could decide for every game if they want that, for example in games with Guide you might not want it... This decision could be an optional button ("auto-resolve this game" or something in these lines) that appears every game when you first have that specific effect. If you want, you can always go to settings to stop auto-resolve. Other things that could be auto-resolved besides start-of-turn are topdecking (Alchemist/ Treasury/ Walled Village), upgrading Travellers, revealing Reaction cards to Attacks, revealing Provinces to other player's Tournaments, for Torturer gain curse if the pile is empty. Maybe more?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.