Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: "Features" threads  (Read 90424 times)

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
Re: "Features" threads
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:39 am »

If the "Play All Treasures" Button does not actually play all your treasures, I think it should say so on the button very clearly. Maybe some type of color change or something. This was quite annoying: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15565.0

Alternatively there could actually be a "Play All Treasures Button" with a cautious Treasures button in the normal place, but this one somewhere else. Sometimes I just want to play all my treasures including all alternate treasures.

Another solution I see for this would be to require the player to click on a Begin Buying button before starting to buy anything. This would also prevent stuff like that example you noted in the other thread about Swindling the opponent's Estate, as well as cases of buying Borrow before playing your treasures.

I think the simpler solution is to have the '+' button on swindler be a different color than the '+' button when you gain cards yourself. In fact you could have a different color for gaining, buying, and sending cards to your opponent. (not sure how many other mechanics I'm missing that are unique here, so there may not be enough colors for all of them).

There's also Contraband, Embargo, placing tokens (Teacher, Pathfinding, Seaway, Lost Arts, Training, Ferry, Plan), Inheritance and probably more.

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2016, 10:32:49 am »

If the "Play All Treasures" Button does not actually play all your treasures, I think it should say so on the button very clearly. Maybe some type of color change or something. This was quite annoying: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15565.0

Alternatively there could actually be a "Play All Treasures Button" with a cautious Treasures button in the normal place, but this one somewhere else. Sometimes I just want to play all my treasures including all alternate treasures.

Another solution I see for this would be to require the player to click on a Begin Buying button before starting to buy anything. This would also prevent stuff like that example you noted in the other thread about Swindling the opponent's Estate, as well as cases of buying Borrow before playing your treasures.

I think the simpler solution is to have the '+' button on swindler be a different color than the '+' button when you gain cards yourself. In fact you could have a different color for gaining, buying, and sending cards to your opponent. (not sure how many other mechanics I'm missing that are unique here, so there may not be enough colors for all of them).

There's also Contraband, Embargo, placing tokens (Teacher, Pathfinding, Seaway, Lost Arts, Training, Ferry, Plan), Inheritance and probably more.

Hmm for those, the icon shouldn't even have a '+', in my opinion, since you aren't adding the card to a deck. Maybe for the tokens, little tokens could be on each pile and you click on the token to add it there. For contraband, you could have a red 'x' instead of a '+' or something like that.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:49 pm »
+2

The ability to test fan made cards would be nice.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »
+1

I still don't understand why in the title, "features" is in quotes, like the author of the thread was so disillusioned with Dominion applications that he just assumed that all of this fancy wishing would never come to pass.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »

Have you talked about/decided how you determine how many events/landmarks will be used when generating random Kingdoms? As in, will you stick to what Donald recommended or will it be random?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
+2

Having the option to continue a won-by-resignation game vs. AI. For 3+ player games, this is particularly important. One possibility is to add the bot closest in skill level to the resigned player.

Choosing to play it out against the AI shouldn't negate your victory against the player who resigned. How scoring should work in 3+ player games is more complicated (does the played-out with AI game matter in determining the place of the continuing players relative to each other? Seems fine to me that it does).

Obv. ideally you have the option of continuing a won-by-resignation game vs. AI.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:17:07 pm by JW »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:51 pm »

If someone resigns online 1v1, I don't think I'd want to continue play, as it's just an AI. I can see this becoming more of an issue in multiplayer though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2016, 12:35:23 am »
+6

So, you know, now that you have your very own version of Dominion online...

This is fantastic. Much more please!

If there's even the slightest chance that MF would implement these cards for April Fool's day 2016, I'd be looking forward to it all year.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2016, 03:50:34 am »
+11

Have you talked about/decided how you determine how many events/landmarks will be used when generating random Kingdoms? As in, will you stick to what Donald recommended or will it be random?

AFAIK Donald's recommendation is random? It just doesn't lead to a uniform distribution and can't produce numbers greater than 2. We'll probably stick to that for rated games, maybe something like 3-4 max for all publicly enterable games (you don't want someone tricking unsuspecting players into nonsense games), and however many you want in solitaire and games vs. friends and bots. Be aware that I'm not going to promise a nice UI for the "however many you want" version.

Having the option to continue a won-by-resignation game vs. AI. For 3+ player games, this is particularly important. One possibility is to add the bot closest in skill level to the resigned player.

We'll have this.

If someone resigns online 1v1, I don't think I'd want to continue play, as it's just an AI.

Optionality is an option's defining characteristic. And for sure you'd keep the win regardless of your result against the bot.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2016, 04:43:45 am »

I would personally go with up to 4 events/landmarks per game, any combination of which would be allowed. In my own gaming, I never use more than 3 events at a time, but I actually quite prefer 3 to the recommended 2.

EDIT: Also, will people who get the online subscription still be allowed to play against bots online? I ask because most of my online Dominion is with my family and friends, but I sometimes play with bots to test strategies.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:44:52 am by RevanFan »

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:51 am »
+5

I haven't read the thread; apologies if this is redundant.  While there are a lot of things we'd like to see that we don't currently have, I'd say there are a few in MF that I hope don't disappear.  For what it's worth:

Colors to match card types in the game log
Subtle change from black to green font when prices are reduced via Bridge or the like
Various colors (or some other way) to highlight whether you are choosing a card to play, to discard, to topdeck, to pass, or to trash
Appropriate colors anywhere it makes sense, like the green (victory) background on the score counter
The Province sound--I like the audible reminder that my opponent just got one
The quick midscreen display of the card being gained
The recap/scoring screen

I'm sure most of these are already considered and probably interpreted and built differently than MF.  I just didn't want anything useful to fall through the cracks.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2016, 12:00:28 pm »
+1

I haven't read the thread; apologies if this is redundant.  While there are a lot of things we'd like to see that we don't currently have, I'd say there are a few in MF that I hope don't disappear.  For what it's worth:

Colors to match card types in the game log
Subtle change from black to green font when prices are reduced via Bridge or the like
Various colors (or some other way) to highlight whether you are choosing a card to play, to discard, to topdeck, to pass, or to trash
Appropriate colors anywhere it makes sense, like the green (victory) background on the score counter
The Province sound--I like the audible reminder that my opponent just got one
The quick midscreen display of the card being gained
The recap/scoring screen

I'm sure most of these are already considered and probably interpreted and built differently than MF.  I just didn't want anything useful to fall through the cracks.

Building on this, I like a lot of the design decisions MF made for Adventures, including the Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods "tokens" and the fact that the little buy plus-sign turns orange to remind you that buying a card will hit you with an attack.

One thing they don't have that I think would be great is some sort of easily visible effect when another player buys an Event. For those of us who don't like to keep our log open, it would be nice to be clearly shown when another player buys e.g. Pilgrimage.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »
+9

(2p games only) When one player has achieved guaranteed victory by having more than half of the available VP, maybe display a message to the losing player and make the resign button more prominent for them?

Obviously there are a lot of kingdoms where it's not as simple as "I have half of the printed VP in the Supply, my victory is guaranteed" but sometimes the game does get to a state like that, the trailing player doesn't know they have no mathematical chance, and the player in the lead needs to take a few turns to empty 3 piles, or hit $8 a couple more times, or whatever. At that point, there is nothing interesting for either player to do, so it'd be in both players' interest to end the game now.

There's this early phase in your Dominion experience where you're kind of taking a Timmy approach to the game, just kind of seeing how good of a deck you can build, and not worrying super hard about whether games are technically winnable.  I would hate for this feature to put a damper on early Dominion experiences - it could be frustrating to have the resign button glow right as the final Village that really makes your engine start Provincing each turn gets into your deck, while you are still practicing building your first few engines.

The implementation I would prefer is that the VP total for the player who has the victorious amount of points glows, without any indication of what that means.

In games without the point tracker, the feature seems inappropriate anyway.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2016, 05:23:15 am »
+1

It would be good to simply be able to make that resign button glow for the other player to show them that you're happy, if they resign.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2016, 07:52:31 am »
+7

It would be good to simply be able to make that resign button glow for the other player to show them that you're happy, if they resign.

gl hf resign please?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2016, 08:50:05 am »
+6

You should test updates on all clients before releasing them.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 09:10:05 am »

gl hf resign please?
In the current client, using the chat is not really convenient  ;)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »

(2p games only) When one player has achieved guaranteed victory by having more than half of the available VP, maybe display a message to the losing player and make the resign button more prominent for them?

Obviously there are a lot of kingdoms where it's not as simple as "I have half of the printed VP in the Supply, my victory is guaranteed" but sometimes the game does get to a state like that, the trailing player doesn't know they have no mathematical chance, and the player in the lead needs to take a few turns to empty 3 piles, or hit $8 a couple more times, or whatever. At that point, there is nothing interesting for either player to do, so it'd be in both players' interest to end the game now.

There's this early phase in your Dominion experience where you're kind of taking a Timmy approach to the game, just kind of seeing how good of a deck you can build, and not worrying super hard about whether games are technically winnable.  I would hate for this feature to put a damper on early Dominion experiences - it could be frustrating to have the resign button glow right as the final Village that really makes your engine start Provincing each turn gets into your deck, while you are still practicing building your first few engines.

The implementation I would prefer is that the VP total for the player who has the victorious amount of points glows, without any indication of what that means.

In games without the point tracker, the feature seems inappropriate anyway.

Definitely would not want this in games without the point tracker.

For me, when a game gets into this state, there are no more interesting decisions and I'd rather get started on the next game.

There have been discussions about players resigning but you still want the fun of playing out your deck, so the player who resigned gets replaced with an AI; maybe instead of encouraging resignation, we could have sort of the inverse of that: you have a guaranteed victory, so you can leave the game to find a new one, while your opponent has the option of playing to the bitter end against an AI.

Maybe that solution is still too unfriendly, and it's true that this situation isn't that common (especially with good matchmaking--assuming there are enough players online to find you an even match), but it is really irritating when it does happen.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »
+3

I don't think there's enough demand for a "tlloyd bot" feature in 1v1 games.  Haven't seen that guy himself around anymore.

Once matchmaking is fixed, you're not going to need a feature that coaxes your opponents into resigning when it's impossible for them to win, a subtle indicator that lets them know one player has the majority of all VP is plenty.  If this feature is making your top 5, it's probably because when you play on MakingFun the matchmaking is horrible so you're playing against people way worse than you who are in that Timmy phase, a better matchmaker will keep you away from them for the most part, and I trust the new overlords to handle that.  The important thing is that I don't want the Timmies playing eachother to get this negatively framed message.

EDIT: Rereading your message you said that yourself, oops!  I think we're kind of all on the same page about it with just very slightly differing opinions.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2016, 08:45:43 am »
+4

Pretty sure it has already been requested but I just thought I'd add my voice ...

The one thing I still really miss from isotopic is the miss-click prevention. I can't even remember exactly how it worked on isotopic now after all this time. But I do remember that it was set up so that when would go to trash/discard my best card by accident isotopic would give me a chance to reconsider whether I really wanted to be that stoopid. So form of mis-click protection that works better than MF, if you please!  ;D

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
+3

I wanna be a character you fight in Story mode. Challenger Seprix, Villager Seprix, Seprix the Court Jester, whatever.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2016, 09:42:34 am »
+4

I wanna be a character you fight in Story mode. Challenger Seprix, Villager Seprix, Seprix the Court Jester, whatever.
Ooh, and you could also have RR bot, who has an obsession with buying scouts!
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2016, 02:52:45 am »

Building your own campaign levels/scenarios would be a very cool - if strictly unnecessary - feature.

Choose starting gamestate, variant rules, ai, and then post your levels for others to enjoy. (it sort of expands the "puzzle mode" feature request somebody else made, with perfect shuffle luck being one of the possible variants)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »
+3

It would be great to have a way to offer a draw (as if the game was tied).

Yeah... so I am pretty swayed toward the degenerate case here actually. When you can reach a deck that plays more than 1 Possession a turn without falling super far behind, the goal turns into building this up as quickly as possible and then destroying your own economy. You can destroy your own economy instantly with Donate, and leave your deck in debt so your opponent can't use it. If this is mirrored, the game is locked out and you starve to death.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »
+1

It would be great to have a way to offer a draw (as if the game was tied).

Yeah... so I am pretty swayed toward the degenerate case here actually. When you can reach a deck that plays more than 1 Possession a turn without falling super far behind, the goal turns into building this up as quickly as possible and then destroying your own economy. You can destroy your own economy instantly with Donate, and leave your deck in debt so your opponent can't use it. If this is mirrored, the game is locked out and you starve to death.

Or.... Ban Possession.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.