Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Author Topic: "Features" threads  (Read 90419 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: "Features" threads
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 10:58:52 am »
+12

Linux sucks. You all suck. I use my modded Wii for everything, and you can't stop me. Sure it's bad at playing Dominion, but I would have lost all those games anyway.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
+3

requesting feature to let Dominion be played on a modded Wii
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 01:13:33 pm »
+1

Macs aren't bad. Give me a break. People hate Macs because it's cool to hate on them. It's just different. I hate the Windows interface, but I'm not pretending it's inferior.

I've used a Mac at home and a PC at work for the past ~5 years, and while I love a lot of things about OSX, the Windows GUI is vastly superior to that of OSX. It's not even close in my book.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:11 pm »

I've used a Mac at home and a PC at work for the past ~5 years, and while I love a lot of things about OSX, the Windows GUI is vastly superior to that of OSX. It's not even close in my book.

Which is funny because the Windows user interface is specifically designed to rely heavily on keyboard commands (where Windows is, naturally, also clearly superior).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
+1

Which is funny because the Windows user interface is specifically designed to rely heavily on keyboard commands (where Windows is, naturally, also clearly superior).

It is? How so? OS X has tons of keyboard shortcuts.

One counterexample to your claim that I always run into is how much more difficult it is to type the most common special characters on Windows. I have to memorize a special 4-digit code for each one. On Mac, option-command-hyphen is an em-dash, option-8 is a bullet point, etc.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 04:23:10 pm »
+2

Linux sucks. You all suck. I use my modded Wii for everything, and you can't stop me. Sure it's bad at playing Dominion, but I would have lost all those games anyway.

Sent from my Super Nintendo

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 04:30:51 pm »

One counterexample to your claim that I always run into is how much more difficult it is to type the most common special characters on Windows. I have to memorize a special 4-digit code for each one. On Mac, option-command-hyphen is an em-dash, option-8 is a bullet point, etc.

For instance, Windows lets you map programs into Windows key+number key keyboard shortcuts. And then that shortcut starts that program up, or makes it active/inactive if it's already open. AFAIK, OS X requires you to use the graphical user interface if you want to launch a program.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:14 pm »
+8

I play Dominion Online on my Beowulf cluster of TI-83s with a Furby array for audio.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:37 pm »

For instance, Windows lets you map programs into Windows key+number key keyboard shortcuts. And then that shortcut starts that program up, or makes it active/inactive if it's already open. AFAIK, OS X requires you to use the graphical user interface if you want to launch a program.

Oh no, I have to scroll my mouse all the way to the right/left/down/wherever and click on the icon. So horrible!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »
+1

Oh no, I have to scroll my mouse all the way to the right/left/down/wherever and click on the icon. So horrible!

That does sound horrible! I use Alfred so I can hit Option+Space and then start typing in the name of what I want to open. I don't even keep anything in my dock any more.

AFAIK the recent OS X updates have sped up the built-in Spotlight so that command+space does the same thing quickly enough, but I got used to Alfred before that happened so I stuck with it instead of switching to Spotlight.

And I concede that technically this is still using a graphical interface, but it's also a keyboard map to open any application at all :)
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 06:01:53 pm »

Dear diary, today I learned that scrolling your mouse and clicking on an icon is a keyboard command, not using a graphical user interface.

And yeah, it is kind of horrible. Your mouse is supposed to be doing mouse things while you can do stuff like opening programs with your left hand at the same time.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 06:12:11 pm »
+4

Luckily this is no longer the case. I can press command-space to open the global search bar, then press 'D', then press 'Enter', since the Dominion client is the top hit for 'D'.

You can also create global app-launching keyboard shortcuts, though I think it's a lot more work to set it up than it would be in Windows.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
+8

Dude, I just google for a word that has an n with a tilde, and paste it into whatever I'm working on.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 07:14:51 pm »

Dude, I just google for a word that has an n with a tilde, and paste it into whatever I'm working on.

I still do that for e.g. the multiplication sign.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:26 pm »
+7

For the multiplication sign you just type $\times$.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:18 pm »
+3

I don't get how this thread became people hating on OS X, but ok. I use OS X primarily and Windows secondarily, and the app launching is nearly identical on both (cmd-space then type name in OS X; windows button then type name in Windows).

One significant objective advantage of the OS X GUI for me is that because the copy-paste shortcuts use cmd instead of ctrl, they don't interfere with the use of ctrl in Unix-originating apps like a Bash terminal and gVim. So on OS X I can use the normal cmd-c/cmd-v to copy-paste between gVim and other programs, while on Windows I have to use "+y/"+p, which is kinda nasty. (I think it's possible to change them to ctrl-c/ctrl-v, but then you'd lose the use of ctrl-v for block selection, which is super handy.)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 02:35:56 am »

3.  Ability to select "timed game" as an option.  One way to implement a "timed game" would be to enable the players to set a base time (i.e, 5 minutes, whatever), and an increment (i.e., 2 seconds).  Each player starts with the base time, and during his or her turn, it ticks down, while being increased by the increment with every action taken.  So the opponents' base time is the "dead time" I'm willing to invest in the game, since the increments offset the time spent by the opponent actually playing and taking action.  Players could even set separate (personal) base times and increments (perhaps as a profile setting), and the matching feature could enable the ability to accept only opponents meeting a chosen threshold for base time / increment.  In this way, players could be operating with different starting "base and increment" times, while all players are satisfied with the timing setting.

In my oppinion a timer should not be a standard feature for Dominion. It can be something like a special add-on, but the way Dominion is designed doesn't really fit a timer.
I think a lot of you are a bit influenced by chess, where timers work great since every move (not the thinking about it, but the move itself) takes almost the exact same amount of time. In Dominion, however, the difference between resolving Smithy and Scrying Pool can be huge. This means (and you've seen this with the Blitz feature in the MMF mod) that a timer greatly influences the strength of certain cards and the viability of certain strategies, which is not really the point of a timer.

Well, the idea is that *every* action you take during your turn would trigger the increment.  So every time you play Scrying Pool on your turn, you trigger the increment.  Every time you play Smithy, you trigger the increment.  This way, it does not matter which cards are in the kingdom; it just matters that play proceeds with reasonable flow, even if entire turns vary drastically in terms of their actual length.  Both a quick Smithy turn and a lengthy Scrying Pool turn would result in (approximately) the same time remaining in the bank, if the player plays both turns with the same pace.
Your turn:
Play Cartographer (+5 seconds), draw card, look at top 4 cards, decide which to discard, rearrange the rest (takes 8 seconds)
Play Scrying Pool (+5 seconds), decide on opponent's card, decide on own card, draw a shitload of cards (takes 5 seconds)
Net: -3 seconds

My turn:
Play Village (+5 seconds), draw card (takes 1 second)
Play Smithy (+5 seconds), draw 3 cards (takes 1 second)
Net: +8 seconds

This is remedied by having *every decision acted upon* trigger the increment, as I've been trying to suggest.  (I think I've not been as clear as I should have been.)  When you make the decision on the 4 cards for Cartographer, that is 4 triggers of the increment.  Scrying Pool triggers it 3 times: when you play the card, when you decide about your top card, and when you decide about your opponents' top card.
Ok, that could work. But you'd have to define what exactly a decision is. Each single card you can discard with Cartographer, or the discarding as a whole? Each card you put back on top individually or the putting back in total?
The answers to most of those questions are probably trivial (of course you don't count each card you trash with Chapel individually), but it has to be done.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 05:25:01 am »
+1

I type C-x 8 x because I use Emacs and am therefore superior to you all.

phoenix9797

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 03:25:23 pm »

3.  Ability to select "timed game" as an option.  One way to implement a "timed game" would be to enable the players to set a base time (i.e, 5 minutes, whatever), and an increment (i.e., 2 seconds).  Each player starts with the base time, and during his or her turn, it ticks down, while being increased by the increment with every action taken.  So the opponents' base time is the "dead time" I'm willing to invest in the game, since the increments offset the time spent by the opponent actually playing and taking action.  Players could even set separate (personal) base times and increments (perhaps as a profile setting), and the matching feature could enable the ability to accept only opponents meeting a chosen threshold for base time / increment.  In this way, players could be operating with different starting "base and increment" times, while all players are satisfied with the timing setting.

In my oppinion a timer should not be a standard feature for Dominion. It can be something like a special add-on, but the way Dominion is designed doesn't really fit a timer.
I think a lot of you are a bit influenced by chess, where timers work great since every move (not the thinking about it, but the move itself) takes almost the exact same amount of time. In Dominion, however, the difference between resolving Smithy and Scrying Pool can be huge. This means (and you've seen this with the Blitz feature in the MMF mod) that a timer greatly influences the strength of certain cards and the viability of certain strategies, which is not really the point of a timer.

Well, the idea is that *every* action you take during your turn would trigger the increment.  So every time you play Scrying Pool on your turn, you trigger the increment.  Every time you play Smithy, you trigger the increment.  This way, it does not matter which cards are in the kingdom; it just matters that play proceeds with reasonable flow, even if entire turns vary drastically in terms of their actual length.  Both a quick Smithy turn and a lengthy Scrying Pool turn would result in (approximately) the same time remaining in the bank, if the player plays both turns with the same pace.
Your turn:
Play Cartographer (+5 seconds), draw card, look at top 4 cards, decide which to discard, rearrange the rest (takes 8 seconds)
Play Scrying Pool (+5 seconds), decide on opponent's card, decide on own card, draw a shitload of cards (takes 5 seconds)
Net: -3 seconds

My turn:
Play Village (+5 seconds), draw card (takes 1 second)
Play Smithy (+5 seconds), draw 3 cards (takes 1 second)
Net: +8 seconds

This is remedied by having *every decision acted upon* trigger the increment, as I've been trying to suggest.  (I think I've not been as clear as I should have been.)  When you make the decision on the 4 cards for Cartographer, that is 4 triggers of the increment.  Scrying Pool triggers it 3 times: when you play the card, when you decide about your top card, and when you decide about your opponents' top card.
Ok, that could work. But you'd have to define what exactly a decision is. Each single card you can discard with Cartographer, or the discarding as a whole? Each card you put back on top individually or the putting back in total?
The answers to most of those questions are probably trivial (of course you don't count each card you trash with Chapel individually), but it has to be done.

Generally, I'd say "individually" for basically all of the possibilities you would ask me.  The reason, again, is that I'm not trying to make timing a way to win a game; I'm just trying to make sure that the game proceeds, and all the possibilities you'd ask me would be possibilities where the game is proceeding.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 01:11:50 pm »

I type C-x 8 x because I use Emacs and am therefore superior to you all.
My input method for Emacs allows me to type \x. I win :)

tufftaeh

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tufftaeh
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »
+7

Back to topic:
My most wanted feature is the big red cross across a card to be trashed by Jack or discarded by Hamlet (as suggested by Donald) - or an undo option for situations like this.
I admit there are really horrible things in the MF UI, e.g. the Scheme interface, but these haven't affected me as often as stupid misclicks trashing/discarding my next action to be played.
The online version does certainly have many advantages over IRL play, but it should also avoid to add pitfalls which could never happen IRL.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »

Back to topic:
My most wanted feature is the big red cross across a card to be trashed by Jack or discarded by Hamlet (as suggested by Donald) - or an undo option for situations like this.
I admit there are really horrible things in the MF UI, e.g. the Scheme interface, but these haven't affected me as often as stupid misclicks trashing/discarding my next action to be played.
The online version does certainly have many advantages over IRL play, but it should also avoid to add pitfalls which could never happen IRL.

I find that the red burning border works well enough that I never trash by mistake, but the yellow discard one has tricked me a good few times, in particular when using Vault or Hamlet.

tufftaeh

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tufftaeh
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 02:56:22 pm »
+2

Maybe I'm not sufficiently receptive for colors. I would like to have "trash"/"discard" look really different from "play", i.e. not only a differently colored border.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
+3

I think that -- like on Isotropic -- trashing should be a different *interface*, not just a different appearance of the same interface you use for playing cards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 03:47:04 pm »

Thirty seconds is extremely harsh. There should be enough time to return to your game after a computer crash.

If your opponent doesn't have an SSD, that's his fault.

Yeah, on the same note, I don't understand the people complaining about overheating when running Making Fun.

Get a new computer, guys.

I use a computer from 2014. Making Fun sucks up like 99% of the processing power. It's incredible how poorly the app was made.

Um... 2014 is only two years ago.  My computer is from late 2011, and runs MF just fine.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.