Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Favorite Attack Bracket  (Read 33593 times)

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Attack Bracket
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2016, 11:36:54 am »
+1

You guys are voting for goons because it's an alt-vp card, not because it attacks. Goons doesn't deserve to win, most of the time the attack is the icing on the cake and it's the VP's your after. It does all the end-of turn-stuff? If it's the last turn the attack means nothing.* Jester's central focus is an attack. And it can get you goons.

That sounds kind of like a gainer to me. The potential for attack is variable and only sometimes hits. So jester is just a gainer which sometimes happens to attack when it doesn't do it's real job (edge cases with guaranteed cursing accepted, and as an added bonus, I don't really care). Goons is alt-vp which always attacks. Hmmmm.

Goons

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2016, 11:56:40 am »

You guys are voting for goons because it's an alt-vp card, not because it attacks. Goons doesn't deserve to win, most of the time the attack is the icing on the cake and it's the VP's your after. It does all the end-of turn-stuff? If it's the last turn the attack means nothing.* Jester's central focus is an attack. And it can get you goons.

That sounds kind of like a gainer to me. The potential for attack is variable and only sometimes hits. So jester is just a gainer which sometimes happens to attack when it doesn't do it's real job (edge cases with guaranteed cursing accepted, and as an added bonus, I don't really care). Goons is alt-vp which always attacks. Hmmmm.

Goons
When it discards Goons from the top of your deck sure you get a goons, but it just prevented you from playing one of your good cards during this shuffle. That could be a sizeable attack if it's the only goons in your deck. Sure, that won't always happen, but 9 times out of 10 it will either discard a good card or junk with a bad one.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2016, 11:58:26 am »
+2

Goons

Nobody is arguing that Jester is more powerful than Goons. Goons is an OP card that dominates boards in a fun way, but it nevertheless dominates them, and that's no fun in the long run. I mean, I suspect that there are more games where I skip Province than games where I skip Goons.

Jester sounds like an interesting card, oh it doesn't always have the same effect, cool! And tell me more about this weird thing, sometimes you can win without it? What an interesting concept!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2016, 12:04:13 pm »
+1

Goons.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2016, 12:29:39 pm »

When it discards Goons from the top of your deck sure you get a goons, but it just prevented you from playing one of your good cards during this shuffle. That could be a sizeable attack if it's the only goons in your deck. Sure, that won't always happen, but 9 times out of 10 it will either discard a good card or junk with a bad one.
Sea Hag.

But to be honest, I think you are missing the point. You claimed that jester was somehow more favoritism-inducing than goons as an attack because the isolated attack from goons is not that interesting. I claim that jester is the same way, and so when you say that goons votes are only for the non-attack and this somehow gives jester some higher ground, you are mistaken. I couldn't care less why I vote for goons, but this as a reason to vote against it is poor.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2016, 01:13:37 pm »

I don't buy jester for the attack either(I buy it to gain good cards)
Sea Hag.

But to be honest, I think you are missing the point. You claimed that jester was somehow more favoritism-inducing than goons as an attack because the isolated attack from goons is not that interesting. I claim that jester is the same way, and so when you say that goons votes are only for the non-attack and this somehow gives jester some higher ground, you are mistaken. I couldn't care less why I vote for goons, but this as a reason to vote against it is poor.
I guess I get your point. I sill think goons isn't that good of an attack card, it's more of an alt-VP card. But I can see reasons why you would vote it over jester.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »
+1

Jester is not comparable to the other gainers, because you don't really know what you will gain. I see it like a good card that does some random good stuff. It has a really nice and interesting effect. Amazing art. And it's a cornucopia card.

So, Jester.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2016, 04:29:38 pm »

Jester is not comparable to the other gainers, because you don't really know what you will gain. I see it like a good card that does some random good stuff. It has a really nice and interesting effect. Amazing art. And it's a cornucopia card.

So, Jester.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »

Goons is a better engine card, and even though the attack is weaker for a $6, the pressure Goons can put on an opposing player is a psychological attack as well. The threat of a game getting out of hand is a powerful weapon.

Goons.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2016, 01:20:46 pm »
+1

I wonder why Jester is everyone's favorite.

We should do a least favorite attack bracket.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2016, 02:36:02 pm »

Goons.

I hate Goons, but "discard to 3" is way better than "maybe gain a card that you want, maybe give your opponent something bad". Compare to Soothsayer "give you a gold, give your opponent something bad.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »
+2

Goons.

I hate Goons, but "discard to 3" is way better than "maybe gain a card that you want, maybe give your opponent something bad". Compare to Soothsayer "give you a gold, give your opponent something bad.

Well, you're neglecting the part where playing Jester helps your economy this turn, while Soothsayer actively improves your opponent's next turn.

Regarding Goons, it's true that both it and Jester are cards that you often get for the non-Attack part, but in Jester the two parts work well together, while Goons' attack feels very tacked-on, even more so since it wouldn't need it to be an amazing card.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:02:22 am by Accatitippi »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 03:06:22 pm »
+2

Goons.

Well, "maybe gain a card that you want, maybe give your opponent something bad" is still a lot better than "give you a gold, give your opponent something bad". After all, the former has a possibility of gaining a card that you actually want.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:55 pm »

Goons.

Well, "maybe gain a card that you want, maybe give your opponent something bad" is still a lot better than "give you a gold, give your opponent something bad". After all, the former has a possibility of gaining a card that you actually want.

I didn't know you were SCSN.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2016, 03:59:47 pm »

Goons.

I didn't know you were SCSN.

We're all WW.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »
+1

We're all WW.

And SCSN is WW, which means you can of course also be SCSN, since he is basically WW.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2016, 09:22:31 pm »

Goons

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2016, 09:16:12 am »
+1

Jester

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2016, 12:44:05 pm »

GOONS
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
+3

In a very close vote, Jester is the winner, 13-12!

Jester is unpredictable yet well-balanced (except in 4p+, oh boy) and even when it's very strong, it doesn't make the game suck.

But how about the new attacks, Catapult and Enchantress? How do you think they will measure up? Discuss.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2016, 02:52:22 pm »

I don't want to overreact because I haven't even played with the new cards yet, but Enchantress is top 1.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2016, 03:50:22 pm »

They won't hold up to Goons/Jester, and I want to wait to see the other attacks first.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:48 pm »
+1

I'm surprised we didn't make a favorite Empires preview card bracket.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »

Jester is my all that great. Surprised to see it win. Although, had I voted, I would have gone with Goons

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »
+2

In a very close vote, Jester is the winner, 13-12!

Jester is unpredictable yet well-balanced (except in 4p+, oh boy) and even when it's very strong, it doesn't make the game suck.

But how about the new attacks, Catapult and Enchantress? How do you think they will measure up? Discuss.

What a great victory for People who are Right over Folks who are Wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.