Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance empowers Silk Road  (Read 2568 times)

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
Inheritance empowers Silk Road
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:21:25 pm »
+3

Kingdom: Amulet, Village, Silk Road, Bureaucrat, Miser, Swamp Hag, Merchant Guild, Count, Counterfeit, Mint, Inheritance, Province.

This was played as a 2-player game IRL. Before the game, my friendly opponent pointed out the Inheritance aids some kind of Silk Road strategy. It's obvious to me in retrospect and people may have already realised this synergy but, at the time, my mind was blown. Instead, my observation was that Inheritance severely weakens Bureaucrat's attack...not exactly mind-blowing.

We gave this two tries. The first one was done in a slog style. I opened with Amulet/Silver, got a Count, Inheritance (on Village), a couple Merchant Guilds and then bought nothing but green cards after that. This game was quite close. It also made me think about whether I should buy Duchy before Silk Road or if I should directly target the Silk Roads.

On the second try, I tried to get thin and use Swamp Hag to pressure my opponent while picking up heaps of coin tokens through multiple Merchant Guilds. That strategy got utterly wrecked against the slog.

I'm not sure about the optimal way to play this board. After the couple of games, it seems that you want to build up a bit more so that you could nick a Province or two. I'm not sure though; your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:23:59 pm by vsiewnar »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance empowers Silk Road
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:39:38 pm »
+2

Hmm, this might be one of very few boards where Inheriting Bureaucrat is a good move. It'll hit very often because of the combo of inheritance and silk road, and the silvers will be great for getting Silk Road. That's my first thought anyways.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 12:43:14 am »

Instead, my observation was that Inheritance severely weakens Bureaucrat's attack...not exactly mind-blowing.

I actually think that Inheritance makes the Bureaucrat attack stronger.  With Inheritance on the board, it's far more likely that players will green earlier by gaining more Estates, and with more Estates in the deck, Bureaucrat's attack hits more often.  Losing an Inherited Estate is also usually more painful than losing a regular Estate, since that Estate would have helped your current turn and is now delayed.  If more Bureaucrats are played next turn, they might even get delayed indefinitely.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 04:01:11 am »

Maybe Inheriting Amulets to protect yourself a bit from Bureaucrat?

As Durations, they're out of your hand and deck much more often.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

vsiewnar

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +296
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:58 am »

My line of thinking with the Bureaucrat attack was that, instead of being forced to top-deck a dead card, you can top-deck some action card instead. In this way, you don't have two hands in a row with a dead card in it.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:35 am »

My line of thinking with the Bureaucrat attack was that, instead of being forced to top-deck a dead card, you can top-deck some action card instead. In this way, you don't have two hands in a row with a dead card in it.

In practice Bcrat will always hit you when you have one inherited estate in your hand and need to play it to make anything decent happen with your turn.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »

My best guess is that B-crat and Swamp Hag are too overpowering for Inheritance / Silk Road here. The absence of any draw makes a hand-size attack really strong. Swamp Hag hits hard too. Sure, you can try to inherit Amulet to fight off the curses, but the Silk Road strategy relies on buying lots of little cards, which means getting lots of curses since there's no gaining tricks.

I think Merchant Guild is a red herring. Use Counterfeit for your buy (and to trash the Silvers coming in from B-Crat) and focus on having enough attacks to play some every turn.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 04:13:47 pm »

I really, really wanna see this in an Inheritance / SR game sometime (not this one), Open Silver / Baron, spike 7, Inherit Ironworks, gain all the Silk Roads and Estates. Fun, right?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 04:19:01 pm »

I really, really wanna see this in an Inheritance / SR game sometime (not this one), Open Silver / Baron, spike 7, Inherit Ironworks, gain all the Silk Roads and Estates. Fun, right?

Its better to skip ironworks and just inherit barons. Silk roadl/estate gain rate should be same and after roads are out you could afford duchies more easily
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:22:28 pm by luser »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.