Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Counting Treasures for Bank  (Read 2930 times)

TheOneDM

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Counting Treasures for Bank
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:51:27 am »

We had a situation come up today where a player played a long Market chain to get lots of +Buy, then used Counting House to get 7 copper. He then played the 7 Copper and 3 Banks.

We were unsure of how to count the Banks- are all Treasure cards considered to be played simultaneously, meaning all 3 banks have a value of $10 (for a total of $37), or are they played sequentially, making it 7xCopper ($7) - Bank ($8) - Bank ($9) - Bank ($10) for a total of $34?

Are there any other corner cases where this could matter?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Counting Treasures for Bank
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:07:00 am »

$34 would be right. While in practice you sort of just plop down all your treasures, in actuality treasures, just like actions, are played and resolved one at a time.

TheOneDM

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 02:31:37 am »

Thanks for the answer!

...treasures, just like actions, are played and resolved one at a time.

I must have missed this in the rules somewhere. My fault! Is there anything besides Bank that would be sensitive to the order of treasures?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:36:44 am »

I must have missed this in the rules somewhere. My fault! Is there anything besides Bank that would be sensitive to the order of treasures?

It matters for Contraband, you want to play it first to give as less information as possible on what you can buy.
It matters very much for Horn of Plenty of course.
It kind of matters for Loan+Venture, on which treasure gets trashed/discarded and which goes to you hand, although without some information on your deck (Lookout/Scout etc, or exactly one treasure left in you draw pile) they are the same in distribution.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:11:04 am »
+1

In addition to Bank, Contraband, Venture, and Loan, and Horn of Plenty, there's also Philosopher's stone. In case the Venture or Loan decreases the number of cards in the deck to make the Stone worth less, or HOP increases the number of cards to make it worth more.

I think that's it though. If you have all of them to choose from...

Contraband you probably want to play first, to give your opponent the least information before they choose what to prevent you from buying. Then basic treasures. You probably want to play Philosopher's Stone next, because Venture and Loan might decrease the number of cards in your deck/discard. Then Venture or Loan; if you know what cards are coming up, pick the order based on whether you want to play or trash your next treasure. You want to play Bank last, to make it worth the most.

Horn of Plenty... well, you might want to play that  before Philosopher's Stone if you want one extra card in your discard, or you might want to play it before Bank if you want the Bank to be worth 1 more, or you might want to play it after Bank to be able to gain the highest-possible-cost card with it.

...of course, most games don't have THAT much complexity in treasure playing, it's usually just one around that cares about order.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:15:58 am by ftl »

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:55:20 am »

Philosopher's stone isn't affected by order (unless you also have a venture/loan) because treasures in hand and in play have no effect on its value.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:37:11 am »

Horn of Plenty... well, you might want to play that  before Philosopher's Stone if you want one extra card in your discard

Philosopher's stone isn't affected by order (unless you also have a venture/loan) because treasures in hand and in play have no effect on its value.

Horn gains you a card - that's why it can affect Philosopher's Stone.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:25:34 am »

The Bank explanation is in the Prosperity Card FAQ, with a specific example.

The Prosperity rulebook and FAQ has some other examples where the order of playing treasures matters
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.