Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Familiar  (Read 3872 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Familiar
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:06:46 am »

Hello, cantrip cursing.

Is this card worth getting with other junking attacks around?
What should you do if you miss 3+P?
What does it combo with?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Alchemy Cards: Familiar
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:32:27 am »

Its one of weakest junkers, mainly due to opportunity cost. You need one turn to get potion, then at least two more turns to get familiars while you would get 5 cost card on these turns and potion is otherwise dead card. When you have choice should use almost any junker except marauder and young witch with really good bane.

When there is trashing then and some engine then most of time you shouldn't open potion, its likely that by the time you start playing familiar per turn oponent already build engine that draws deck and trashes any incoming curses. It influences game as potential threat, while its bad opening for familliar its better to get it midgame if opponent deck starts to be vulnerable to it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:50:23 am »
+10

Cry.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:37:15 pm »
+2

Was this card translated as "relative" in some language? Talk about projecting your opinion about your in-laws.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 12:46:19 pm »

Familiar can junk you incredibly fast, but is almost completely useless after the Curses are gone. It also gives you a free Potion junk card if you have no other need for Potion. Familiar is a card that isn't great, but cannot be ignored because an uncontested Familiar war is going to just flatten whoever doesn't do it, similar to Fool's Gold or Duchy/Duke. If both players go for it, it kind of sucks. If only one player goes for it, there's going to be a problem. For me, it's an interesting scenario worth discussing and looking into more, and I'm sure there's also some fancy term for it, like the Supply Law or something.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:47:49 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:54:19 pm »

Familiar can junk you incredibly fast, but is almost completely useless after the Curses are gone. It also gives you a free Potion junk card if you have no other need for Potion. Familiar is a card that isn't great,

Useless is better than a lot of other cursers, it being a cantrip is a benefit of Familiar.

but cannot be ignored because an uncontested Familiar war is going to just flatten whoever doesn't do it, similar to Fool's Gold or Duchy/Duke. If both players go for it, it kind of sucks. If only one player goes for it, there's going to be a problem. For me, it's an interesting scenario worth discussing and looking into more, and I'm sure there's also some fancy term for it, like the Supply Law or something.

Game Theory! :)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 02:55:30 pm »
+2

All around me are familiar faces...

Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 03:56:19 pm »
+1

Familiar can junk you incredibly fast, but is almost completely useless after the Curses are gone. It also gives you a free Potion junk card if you have no other need for Potion. Familiar is a card that isn't great, but cannot be ignored because an uncontested Familiar war is going to just flatten whoever doesn't do it, similar to Fool's Gold or Duchy/Duke. If both players go for it, it kind of sucks. If only one player goes for it, there's going to be a problem. For me, it's an interesting scenario worth discussing and looking into more, and I'm sure there's also some fancy term for it, like the Supply Law or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 04:06:58 pm »

Familiar can junk you incredibly fast, but is almost completely useless after the Curses are gone. It also gives you a free Potion junk card if you have no other need for Potion. Familiar is a card that isn't great,

Useless is better than a lot of other cursers, it being a cantrip is a benefit of Familiar.

None of them are particularly good, but at least the other cards have some benefit. Soothsayer gives you a gold, increasing the payload of your deck. Witch draws you +2 Cards. Mountebank continues to junk your opponent AND give you +$2. The only Cursing card that seems worse to me is Sea Hag. Familiar's being a cantrip is alright, but it's really no benefit, and sometimes even bad, if you draw it dead.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »

Man, if Familiar is on the board, just distribute the 10 curses among each other and 3 silvers and start from there. It'll save both you a big hassle.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 02:28:01 am »

There is some strategy to decide if you're getting an extra Familiar on 3P after some Curses have already been dealt out or switch to something else.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.