Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Young Witch, Gear, Peasant, Oh My!  (Read 2062 times)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Young Witch, Gear, Peasant, Oh My!
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:25:15 pm »
+4

Bane: , & using
Code: [Select]
Adventurer, Bandit Camp, Counterfeit, Crossroads, Distant Lands, Fool's Gold (bane), Gear, Library, Noble Brigand, Peasant, Shelters, Young Witch
This was on IRL 3 person game, so I don't have a log, but it was a very interesting kingdom. There's no Curse trashing, so Young Witch looks strong, but FG is a great bane. Plus there's Gear and Counterfeit, so modified Gear BM seems like the way to go. But 3 player complicates the FG split significantly, and Curses that slip through will slow things down, so a Teacher-fueled mega engine might still be plausible.

Opponent 1 opened YW Peasant, then caught up on FG with Peasant's buy. She made it to Teacher and taught +Card to her Bandit Camps, then +Action to Gear on her last turn. She unluckily failed to draw her Counterfeits and was only able to buy the last Province, instead of also getting several Duchies. I think the +Action placement was definitely wrong, but the +Card placement is open to debate.

Opponent 2 opened YW Gear, and fell behind on FG. Seeing this, he opted hard into Gear and tried to rush an ending. After losing the FG split (2 to our 4 each), he got hit hard by Curses. He had a point lead at one time, but couldn't end it before stalling.

I opened YW FG and went hard on FG, ignoring other stuff for a while to keep up with the split. Then I transitioned into Gear and Counterfeit, picking up a second YW and a few Bandit Camps later. I also got a nice Counterfeit turn with Hovel in hand, so picked up a single Distant Lands to remove the extra card in the mid-game. I got the least number of Curses (2) and squeaked out a win.

No one went pure FG/Gear, which might have been optimal. What would you have done? Answers may differ depending on the number of players, so feel free to describe either situation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:59:09 pm by convolucid »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Young Witch, Gear, Peasant, Oh My!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:52:49 pm »
+2

It might have been a rare kingdom for adventurer.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:57 pm »
+1

I'd open Fool's Gold / Gear, then just alternate Fool's Golds and Gear until I have 4-5 FG and 3 Gear. Game is over before Young Witch gives me even 4 Curses, or before Teacher puts a single token on a pile. You barely have time to pick up Counterfeit, if that.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:41:26 pm »
+1

the way that's laid out is gorgeous
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:44:58 pm »

It might have been a rare kingdom for adventurer.

WHAT.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:28 am »
+1

I'd open Fool's Gold / Gear, then just alternate Fool's Golds and Gear until I have 4-5 FG and 3 Gear. Game is over before Young Witch gives me even 4 Curses, or before Teacher puts a single token on a pile. You barely have time to pick up Counterfeit, if that.

Getting 4-5 FG may not happen in 3-player though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:51:33 am »

Getting 4-5 FG may not happen in 3-player though.

Even 3 is probably good enough, really. You just pass the Fool's Gold between turns when they don't collide. Very easy to line them up with Gear.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:27 am »
+4

Saving FG with Gear doesn't work to block YW though.  You don't get the Gear cards until the start of your turn.  I think you'd still get hit pretty heavy with Curses, more so if you functionally have less FG in deck due to constantly saving them with Gear.

If all players go for FG over engine and 2 of them decide to go YW aggresive, they will drown the non-YW player.  You can't block all the Curses with only 3-4 FG max with 2 players doing the cursing.  I think you are correct for a 2-player game that Gear/FG reigns supreme, but 3-player dynamics are different and matter immensely here.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.