Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market Question  (Read 2318 times)

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Black Market Question
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:08 am »

I have a question regarding Black Market.  I have an issue with how the rules state when Treasure cards are played and what is allowed to be played in each phase of the turn.  In the rules it states that the + coins on cards can only be used in the Buy phase.  This means these coins cannot be used in the Action Phase.  The rules also state that treasure and costs are played during the Buy phase.  However the Black Market says you may buy one of them immediately.  This seems to me that the Action phase has not ended and it is actually impossibly to have any money or coins to actually use since the user is still in the Action phase because the effect of Black Market has not finished resolving. 

Playing by the rules I do not see how it is possible to actually buy anything from the Black Market deck.  Or should there be an errata on the Black Market that only allows you buy 1 of the 3 Black Market Deck cards during your following buy phase as opposed to immediately (which to me says before the end of the phase)?

Or am I playing by the rules outlined in the base game to closely?  Or is this just an oversight by the card designers?  I mean after years of magic and many ruling changes there are judges that know the answers to all of this?

Also if it is possible because of the rules please let me know where I can look and fully understand this rule.

Edit:: After reading more stuff on here...It seems that phases are not being used anymore?  At least on isotropic or at least not according to the rules set forth in the rules included with the game.  Is there an updated rules book? 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:06:12 am by pvtforlife »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:08:34 am »

Skimming the rulebook I don't see anywhere where it specifically says treasure must be played during the buy phase. All it really says is that during the action phase you may play an action (or more if you get +actions) and during the buy phase you man play as many treasures as you want. So I'm in the action phase and play my Black Market, which then tells me I can play my treasure in this action phase, and so I play my treasure. I see no contradiction in the rules.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about with 'It seems that phases are not being used anymore' I'm not sure where you got that notion but it's pretty wrong.

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:49 am »

Page 7 of the official Dominion Rule book.  There is a section called "Buy Phase".  The second paragraph right before the page ends.  This is where it states that treasures are played during this phase. 

Here is a link to the official rules from Rio Grande Games

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pdf

The phases issues come from things I have seen on isotropic games.  Where it allows players to play actions after playing treasure cards.  Why bother having phases if you can play Actions and treasure whenever you want in your turn?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:21:24 am by pvtforlife »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:37:42 am »

The phases issues come from things I have seen on isotropic games.  Where it allows players to play actions after playing treasure cards.  Why bother having phases if you can play Actions and treasure whenever you want in your turn?

Except you can't play Actions and Treasures whenever you want in your turn. You can play Treasures as part of your Action phase only if Black Market specifically allows you to do so.

There's no rules problem here. You can only play Actions during your Action phase. If an Action that you've played allows (or requires) you to play Treasures from your hand in order to resolve that action, then you do whatever it takes to resolve that Action.

Also consider checking out the Black Market "rulebook." There should be an English copy on BGG somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:46:40 am by dondon151 »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:57:33 am »

Page 7 of the official Dominion Rule book.  There is a section called "Buy Phase".  The second paragraph right before the page ends.  This is where it states that treasures are played during this phase. 

Here is a link to the official rules from Rio Grande Games

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_278_gameRules.pdf

You are only allowed to do what the rules gives you permission to do. The rulebook gives you permission to play a single action during your action phase. Then there are rules associated with that played action which give you permission to do other things (potentially during any phase of the game) such as play more actions or, in the case of black market, play treasures. Then after the action phase ends (either you manually end it or you run out of actions to play) the buy phase begins. The rulebook gives you permission to play all or any of your treasures in this phase. Nowhere does the main rulebook give you permission to just go ahead and play treasures whenever you feel like it, only within the confines of the rules.

The only time on iso where you can play treasures during the action phase (or play actions after playing treasures) is in the specific example of Black Market, which allows you to do so by explicitly stating so in the play rules for that card. But again, there is no rule contradiction here. You're just doing what the rules (cards and book) let you do.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:36 am »

Playing by the rules I do not see how it is possible to actually buy anything from the Black Market deck.
Black Market would be phrased differently today to be clearer (well or wouldn't exist, which is how it's a promo). Originally the game had no buy phase per se, just, on your turn you may play one action and then may buy one card. Another card letting you buy a card allowed you to play treasures for it because that's how buying a card worked.

Black Market works because it has rules, not on the card, that spell out how it works. They are included with copies of it irl and here they are in the latest version I have.

Black Market

To use the Black Market Kingdom card, you must create a Black Market deck before starting the game. The Black Market deck is made up of Kingdom cards that are not in the Supply of the current game. The players should agree before the game which cards will be used to create the Black Market deck (for example, you could agree to use one of every Kingdom card you own that is not a part of the Supply). It is recommended that the Black Market deck contain at least 15 Kingdom cards, with no duplicates. All players can see which cards are placed in the Black Market deck before the game begins.

Take one of each selected Kingdom card, shuffle them together, and place the deck face down on the table where all players can reach it. This deck is not a Supply pile and if it is emptied, it does not count towards the end game conditions.

Some players may wish to use the Randomizer deck as the Black Market deck. If you do this, when you buy a card from it, get the card with the normal back from the box to actually put into your deck.

Black Market allows you to Buy a card during the Action phase. You can use coins provided by other Action cards played earlier in the Action phase and you can also play Treasure cards from your hand to pay the cost of the bought card. The Treasure cards are played to the table in your play area, just as you would during the Buy phase. You may play more Treasure cards than are required for the purchase; the extra coins from Action cards and Treasure cards are available to use during your Buy phase. You may even play Treasure cards without Buying a card. You may not reuse coins already spent during a turn. A card bought during the Action phase does not count as a card bought in your Buy phase, so you do not need an action card giving you +1 Buy to still buy a card during your normal Buy phase.

If you play Black Market and the Black Market deck is empty, you cannot buy a card but you still get +2 Coins. If there are fewer than 3 cards in it, just reveal what you can. If you play Black Market and choose not to buy one of the revealed cards, you still get +2 Coins.

Cards purchased with Black Market do not have corresponding supply piles, and so cannot be returned to their piles. For example if you use Ambassador (from Dominion: Seaside) on a card you got with Black Market, that card will stay in your hand.

Playing a Treasure card gives you the money right when you play it. If you play some Coppers using Black Market, then play Coppersmith (from Dominion: Intrigue) later in the turn, you won't get more money out of the Coppers you already played.

pvtforlife

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:03:06 pm »

Alright this clears it up quite a bit.  It might be worth adding in the rules book that would be included into the Big Box purchased from Amazon that contained the Envoy and Black Market Promo cards.  Thanks for clearing this up.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.