Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Massive trade route fail  (Read 5008 times)

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
Massive trade route fail
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:38 am »
+2

My group was playing a Colony game with trade route, island, nobles, and great hall. This was our first game with the trade route so we set it up, and no one read the line on the card about trashing a card when you play it. Soon trade route was worth $7 and only cost $3. It was a mad dash to pick them all up, then play them as often as possible it was just stupid how broken it was. After the game I looked at the rules packet to make sure we were doing it right, and of course we weren't. It was memorable because it was the first game my buddy ever won. Since rules were consistent, we decided that the win still counted, then we played another game with the same cards and using the trade route correctly, he still won.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Massive trade route fail
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:11 am »
+1

Trade Route is actually not a very strong card. If it didn't have the line about trashing a card when you play it, it would be even worse.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
+2

But, but, but...it has a +Buy!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:01:53 am »
+6

A terminal +$7 for $3 seems reasonably ok, even without trashing or +buy.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:56:25 am »

But how often do you have a Colony board with 3 alt-VP cards AND buy one of each of them before the game is almost over?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:58:40 am »

I am not that good at math

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:13:37 am »

In one of my first games with Prosperity, I had finally gotten a ton of Cities to level 2 and a hand of fully loaded Trade Routes... at which point I realized that I would have to trash half of them in order to play the other half. I threw my cards on the table and stormed off.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:10 am »
+5

In one of my first games with Prosperity, I had finally gotten a ton of Cities to level 2 and a hand of fully loaded Trade Routes... at which point I realized that I would have to trash half of them in order to play the other half. I threw my cards on the table and stormed off.

You know, there were other options. You could have played like one card every minute or so, been otherwise unresponsive to messages and waited for your opponent to resign. I have found that the best way to turn around IRL games of Dominion that you find yourself on the losing end of. Also, shouting obscene amounts of profanity when your opponent has good draws IRL is a tried and true method. Finally, telling your IRL opponent you're going to resign during your turn, then waiting for him/her to put down his/her cards and scream "You've ended your turn. My turn now!" and playing a full-scale turn never fails.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not saying what you did is actually comparable  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:41:19 pm by teamrocketgrunt »
Join Team Rocket!

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »

But how often do you have a Colony board with 3 alt-VP cards AND buy one of each of them before the game is almost over?

It doesn't happen often, but trust me, it's awesome whenight it does. It was a multi player game, with a pretty new player. That's why an estate got bought.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 12:26:55 pm »

You know, there were other options. You could have played like one card every minute or so, been otherwise unresponsive to messages and waited for your opponent to resign. I have found that the best way to turn around IRL games of Dominion that you find yourself on the losing end of. Also, shouting obscene amounts of profanity when your opponent has good draws IRL is a tried and true method. Finally, telling your IRL opponent you're going to resign during your turn, then waiting for him/her to put down his/her cards and scream "You've ended your turn. My turn now!" and playing a full-scale turn never fails.

Losing Friends: A How To Guide.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:42 am »
+1

Friends who can't handle your tantrums weren't friends to begin with.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:28 am »
+1

If they can't handle me at my worst, they don't deserve me at my best.

This is totally reasonable advice and not an excuse to act like a huge jerk.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 11:19:13 am »

Whenever I see or hear someone say this, I stay away. It's just like if a some dude says he's a nice guy when trying to court someone.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:34 am »

A better motivational quote would be "If they can't handle me at my worst, I don't deserve them at their best".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:47 am »

Whenever I see or hear someone say this, I stay away. It's just like if a some dude says he's a nice guy when trying to court someone.

Dude, who "courts" nowadays?

Boo hipsters.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:57:54 am by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 12:07:21 pm »
+9

Dude, who "courts" nowadays?

Boo hipsters.

Pretty sure kings court.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 03:32:46 pm »

I had a friend that used to tear up cards of whatever board game when he'd get annoyed.  Not violently or anything.  Just gradually you could see he'd get more and more anger building inside of him as he was losing the game, and then at one point if he drew a bad card, he would just calmly tear it in two, set it aside, and (still doing whatever the card said) continue playing.

I don't remember the name of the specific board game, but it was something where you were, like, rogues or thieves of some fantasy city, and in addition to dice rolls, there was some deck from which you drew cards specifying some kind of action or event.  It was back when I was in high school.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »

Maybe the person only uses trite quotes when they're at their worst.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 03:52:48 pm »

But it's honestly really good advice, for both parties in the discussion where it is said.

Everyone is (well, many people are) pleasant, fun to be around, attractive, or otherwise dateable at their best. Judging how a relationship is when it's at its best is just an illusion. If you still wanna make things work at the worst, that's a sign of mutual commitment, maturity, compatibility, etc. there's a reason people parrot the quote.

That said, something something trade route.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 03:57:00 pm »
+2

But it's honestly really good advice, for both parties in the discussion where it is said.

Everyone is (well, many people are) pleasant, fun to be around, attractive, or otherwise dateable at their best. Judging how a relationship is when it's at its best is just an illusion. If you still wanna make things work at the worst, that's a sign of mutual commitment, maturity, compatibility, etc. there's a reason people parrot the quote.

That said, something something trade route.

If you can't handle Trade Route when you have to trash half your Cities or half your remaining Trade Routes, then you don't deserve it at its best.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 02:39:22 am »

I had a friend that used to tear up cards of whatever board game when he'd get annoyed.  Not violently or anything.  Just gradually you could see he'd get more and more anger building inside of him as he was losing the game, and then at one point if he drew a bad card, he would just calmly tear it in two, set it aside, and (still doing whatever the card said) continue playing.

I don't remember the name of the specific board game, but it was something where you were, like, rogues or thieves of some fantasy city, and in addition to dice rolls, there was some deck from which you drew cards specifying some kind of action or event.  It was back when I was in high school.
This guy should try Risk:Legacy.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.